WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AZGF is becoming CA.

Sunset

Reaction score
Went to AZGF in Lake Havasu on Tuesday to register new boat a two hour wait and most people had to come back with more paper work.

The lady’s come from Yuma and were very nice and were making phone calls for the older people to sellers this would not happen in California .

The Hispanic man in front of us , the lady asked him for his license and he said he didn’t have one she asked him how he got there and he said he got dropped off ,no ID and 25 dollars to register boat. WTF

We were next she asked for our id and we gave her our AZ id cards she said she had to have a driver licensed only to register boat ,Ca and 250 dollars .

It seams like AZ is becoming Ca.

Yes AZGF come to Lake Havasu two days a month back side of DMV.

Groper

Reaction score
An AZ ID doesn't make you a AZ resident, AZ's MVD is not CA's DMV by any means and I have used three different MVD's throughout AZ with several types of transactions, my travel ID took 10min. try that in CA lol :eek:

Most of the time MVD's wait is about 15min depending on the time of year and the one thing that's the biggest deal to me is the self serve Kiosk where you can renew your reg and print out a reg. card & sticker in 30sec.

AZGF doesn't have the funds to have someone sit in LHC and wait for someone to register a Boat, I have asked "Why can't you just train a MVD worker to handle AZFG work" and the answer was we are completely different departments due to funding and it's not going to happen anytime soon. ;)

TCHB

Reaction score
It is called bureaucracy.. One thing I have found out in life bureaucracy wins.

2Driver

Reaction score
Call AZGF general number and get the run down on what you need. They are very helpful. The folks there have the opposite attitude as the AZGF on the water :D

One thing different for Cali folks is the trailer goes to MVD, boat goes to AZGF and no title is issued for the boat so there is no way to know by the watercraft cert that the boat could have a lien.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Well that’s 1 of the only 2 thing Kingman is better than Havasu. Azgf office is 2 miles from me. And the weather is cooler. :D

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Several years ago, AZGF was getting pressure to open an office in Havasu to take care of boat registrations and various related paperwork. Their answer was to open a twice a month (couple of days) temporary office on the backside of the Havasu DMV building staffed by non-paid member volunteers from from the Lake Havasu Marine Association. It's been the local Marine Association, not the AZGF, who has been providing that service to boaters at no cost to the State. It was AZGF's initial intention to open a permanent office in Havasu but that has gone no-where. Not sure if LHMA members are still volunteering their services or not staffing that temporary office, but it seems very unlikely that a permanent AZGF office for boat registration is coming to Havasu anytime in the near future. Does that make any sense?

grumpy88

Reaction score
An AZ ID doesn't make you a AZ resident, AZ's MVD is not CA's DMV by any means and I have used three different MVD's throughout AZ with several types of transactions, my travel ID took 10min. try that in CA lol :eek:

Most of the time MVD's wait is about 15min depending on the time of year and the one thing that's the biggest deal to me is the self serve Kiosk where you can renew your reg and print out a reg. card & sticker in 30sec.

AZGF doesn't have the funds to have someone sit in LHC and wait for someone to register a Boat, I have asked "Why can't you just train a MVD worker to handle AZFG work" and the answer was we are completely different departments due to funding and it's not going to happen anytime soon. ;)
You don't need to have a driver's license to be a legal resident either .

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I needed to transfer my toon registration.
Could have just took a bike ride to Kingman
Could have waited till the 21st to do it at the MVD in Havasu
I called Phoenix and you'll probably talk to Rebecca. Very informative and polite.
I printed out the forms and mailed my check
3 EZ options to gitrdun
Not sure why it's like CA

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You would think with Havasu being the busiest and largest lake in the state, the AZGFD would be in Havasu, not Kingman.... Go figure...

That being said i just was down there in LHC at the DMV for a trailer, INFINITELY better than Nevada's DMV. My old man took care of boat registration for the new boat at their AZGFD deal, they were super helpful, in April he went and there were some issues with the Bill of Sale due to the boat coming out of a Trust, so followed their protocols on how they wanted to see the forms filled out, went back last week and it was a done deal.

I will say that NV's dept of wildlife is pretty good, the lady came out to take HIN rubbings on a couple of boats for an old customer that moved back from the east coast, I let her into the storage units she brought her tape measure and chalk, took care of everything without having the drag the boats down to the office in Henderson. But Nevada's DMV is absolutely horrible.

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score

California has the kiosk too even in the grocery stores.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
When I went to Kingman 5 years ago to register our new to us boat I took everything I had paper work wise. The lady was VERY nice and said something just didn't line up right. Our boat, a SilverWing 2022, was built by Speed & Marine in Orange but had a Wilkes Marine vin#. I believe it was the last boat built before the Lembke's were killed in an auto accident. Turns out Jim Wilke's wound up with the name and molds.
She went out of her way to call Jim and let him explain what was happening and all was cleared up in that phone call. I REALLY don't think this would have happened in Commiefornia. Ever since then it has been a very nice and pleasant experience to use AZFG for this boat and all the fishing boats I have owned since moving here to AZ.

rrrr

Reaction score
Went to AZGF in Lake Havasu on Tuesday to register new boat a two hour wait and most people had to come back with more paper work.

The lady’s come from Yuma and were very nice and were making phone calls for the older people to sellers this would not happen in California .

The Hispanic man in front of us , the lady asked him for his license and he said he didn’t have one she asked him how he got there and he said he got dropped off ,no ID and 25 dollars to register boat. WTF

We were next she asked for our id and we gave her our AZ id cards she said she had to have a driver licensed only to register boat ,Ca and 250 dollars .

It seams like AZ is becoming Ca.

Yes AZGF come to Lake Havasu two days a month back side of DMV.

Years ago I was asked by a friend to get a renewal for the expired registration on his boat. At the time, this had to be done in person at the Texas Parks and Wildlife field office. I was standing in line, and a guy a couple of spots ahead of me dropped some paperwork on the counter and said "I need to renew the expired registration on this boat. It belongs to a friend of mine".

The clerk said "Do you have written permission from the owner to act on his behalf for this transaction?"

The reply was "Uhhh, no."

The clerk informed him that unless he had written permission from the owner, she couldn't issue the new tags. He turned around and left. There was a woman sitting at a desk a few feet away that wasn't involved with the renewal line. I approached her, and asked if I she could give me a sheet of paper and loan me a pen. She smiled and said "Sure".

I asked the person behind me in line to hold my spot for a couple of minutes, took the pen and paper, left the line, and walked out into the corridor. This all went unobserved by the clerk. I leaned up against the corridor wall and wrote "I, __________ give permission for _____________ to act as my agent for the purpose of renewing the registration on my 18' Tahiti boat, HIN # _____________ and Texas registration numbers TX-______, and signed my friend's name at the bottom.

I went back into the office, got back in line, and when it was my turn I handed the clerk the paperwork and my note. She said "Oh, I see you brought a permission letter from the boat owner to renew on his behalf. You would be surprised by the number of people that come in here and don't know the owner's permission is required to renew the tags."

I replied "Oh, really?" and smiled.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You would think with Havasu being the busiest and largest lake in the state, the AZGFD would be in Havasu, not Kingman.... Go figure...

That being said i just was down there in LHC at the DMV for a trailer, INFINITELY better than Nevada's DMV. My old man took care of boat registration for the new boat at their AZGFD deal, they were super helpful, in April he went and there were some issues with the Bill of Sale due to the boat coming out of a Trust, so followed their protocols on how they wanted to see the forms filled out, went back last week and it was a done deal.

I will say that NV's dept of wildlife is pretty good, the lady came out to take HIN rubbings on a couple of boats for an old customer that moved back from the east coast, I let her into the storage units she brought her tape measure and chalk, took care of everything without having the drag the boats down to the office in Henderson. But Nevada's DMV is absolutely horrible.
From a boating standpoint, yes, Havasu is busier. They also do all our hunting license and such. The stuff is easy enough to handle from the boating side, just a bit out of the way. I would much rather drive a few miles, than deal with any Ca DMV person! I have never had a bad interaction with the Kingman office...I cannot say the same about Ca DMV's.

D19

Reaction score
If you call AZGF a helpful and polite person will answer the phone.

Try getting a live person on the phone at CA DMV.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
AZGF is very good to work with. Yes, it seems like LHC would be a better office for boat related matters than Kingman.

MohavValley

Reaction score
At $36 a year for in state registration, probably couldn't keep a Havasu offce open.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Fish and game is in Kingman because Kingman is the county seat and a fairly old city by Arizona standards

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gotta be honest I have always had great experiences with AZGF. It’s one of the only government agencies you can call and get someone on the phone, they are always willing to help etc..

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I haven't been to AZ Game & Fish yet but I have been to AZDOT (DMV) and they've been light years better in customer service than anything I've ever seen at California's DMV