WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

B20 diesel buyer beware

82daytona

Reaction score
So IDK if it's just me but I stopped in Barstow flying J for diesel. All the pumps were changed to b20 I asked a few guys if they had anything special to run the fuel everyone said no. So I proceed to fill up and not even a mile down the road it starts sputtering, goes into limp mode shuts off at speed. I spoke with a diesel friend he says that the b20 fuel runs so clean it burns all the old diesel fuel crap into the system. So I changed the fuel filter in Barstow went about 100 feet and samethimg. Anyone have any experience in this?

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Or the fuel tanker driver put unleaded in the Diesel tanks! Happens more than you think!

78Southwind

Reaction score
I am pretty surprised all they had is B20. I don't see any of the B20 stuff where I fill up. I know Ford says to use no more than 5% Bio Fuel in the 7.3's.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
The only way to know is to cut open the filter and see what's in it. It is very common to introduce a high detergent fuel to a cruddy fuel system and wind up with a few clogged filters. Been happening since the invention of the fuel filter. There is a good chance the filters are just doing their job. I'm not a diesel guy but am always leery of new blends of fuel or fuel additives in any system that has not been subjected previously to high detergent fuels. It is a recipe for disaster on long hauls without having extra provisions etc. Not making it 100 feet after a filter change is strange though.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
City of Phoenix has been running B20 for years in everything diesel. Not seeing any fuel related issues from it.

I doubt you have plugged a second filter in 100', and would send a sample of the fuel out to be tested ASAP.

82daytona

Reaction score
The only way to know is to cut open the filter and see what's in it. It is very common to introduce a high detergent fuel to a cruddy fuel system and wind up with a few clogged filters. Been happening since the invention of the fuel filter. There is a good chance the filters are just doing their job. I'm not a diesel guy but am always leery of new blends of fuel or fuel additives in any system that has not been subjected previously to high detergent fuels. It is a recipe for disaster on long hauls without having extra provisions etc. Not making it 100 feet after a filter change is strange though.

I had another person say something similar. I'll be taking it in today and hoping for the best. :/

Joker

Reaction score
I've been running the B20 from there with no issues. They do have 2 regular diesel pumps there and I use them when they're available.

primetime

Reaction score
I usually run b20 every 5 tanks or so and no problem. Actually runs better I think but I also use Lucas gas treatment.

primetime

Reaction score
I am pretty surprised all they had is B20. I don't see any of the B20 stuff where I fill up. I know Ford says to use no more than 5% Bio Fuel in the 7.3's.

I use to run 100% bio in my 7.3 smelled like a fast food joint but it liked it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I usually run b20 every 5 tanks or so and no problem. Actually runs better I think but I also use Lucas gas treatment.

I ran b20 recently no issues. Except increased smoke. I do add 6-10 ounces Lucas upper cylinder lube every tank for the last 100k miles. Prior to that I added 2 stroke.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I would run what the MFR says you can run. Some newer diesels are only rated to run B5. It will probably run fine at a higher blend, but there's a reason why these engines are rated to run particular percentages of Bio. I wouldn't risk it - nothing is cheap to fix on them anymore.

Bio has great lube properties, but also is a solvent that cleans crud, as mentioned. The way it burns isn't really the issue.

I ran B20 in my 5.9 Cummins about half the time I owned it. Ran a bit quieter, and IMHO better.

RodnJen

Reaction score
All diesel in ca is b5.

No it's not. My station carried both b5 and b20, now they only carry b20. I ran it by mistake once and had no issues. I won't do it again since the manual only recommends b5. I use to alnternate tanks of b5 and regular diesel.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I filled up on B20 at the Barstow Flying J this past Monday and we ran good for 180 miles.
Only idiot light that came on was the reminder I had 998 miles left on the DEF tank fluid level.

2015 6.6 DMax.
Paid $3.84 a gallon with my Flying J card = 1 cent per gal discount. What a deal!

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Stopped at the Flying J as well. No issues for me in my 6.7 Cummins. Although, I was hesitant to fill up until I saw another river-goer using it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My Owners manual:
2015 6.6-liter Duramax diesel (LML) is a rated at 397 hp and 765 lb-ft of torque. The diesel comes with the superb Allison 6-speed automatic transmission and 3.73:1 ratio. The diesel is B20-biodiesel approved.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
My Owners manual:
2015 6.6-liter Duramax diesel (LML) is a rated at 397 hp and 765 lb-ft of torque. The diesel comes with the superb Allison 6-speed automatic transmission and 3.73:1 ratio. The diesel is B20-biodiesel approved.

3.73 rear end? I think I'd want a 4.10 pulling your trailer.

How'd it pull with that gear?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
3.73 rear end? I think I'd want a 4.10 pulling your trailer.

How'd it pull with that gear?

Outstanding. Loaf'd at 1600 RPM all day.
The big test is the transition road from the I-5 north to the slow lane I-14 north and it held at 60mph in cruise control.
It's an ass-kicker of a grade to approach because you can't get much momentum coming off the transition curve.
Our 8.1 gas truck would struggle at 35 - 40 MPH in second gear flirting with 1st. 3.73 screws on that truck too.

3.73 is the only ratio avail on the 3500 HD Dually.

The cool discovery is the cruise control will also automatically operate the exhaust brake, engine brake AND the trailer brakes to maintain your set speed on the downgrades.

Wife and I suspect, but not yet sure that B20 was slightly but noticeable less MPG.
Pure rumour is/are fewer re-generations with exhaust brake use and evidently that may be happening for us.
Damfino why, but we'll see.

We'll know better after the Moab and St Anthony dune runs.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
^^^ bio diesel has slightly less energy content than straight diesel.

B100 has about 10% less energy.
B20 has about 2% less.

IMHO always go by what your owners manual says.