WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Babbel.com...a second language?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I took French in High School for 3 years only because I was one of 3 guys in the class every year.👍 I can speak a little French and can understand most of it but Spanish would have always been a better language to learn as I've always been in construction. I speak a little Spanish but has anyone ever used the Babbel courses and is it worth it.

Last edited:

yz450mm

Reaction score
I took three years of Spanish because the teacher I picked was a super cool older dude. My senior year, I got to be his TA, but he never made me actually show up, so I got a free pass to leave early.

After hearing the ads a couple of times, I'm thinking that using Babble would be a good idea to relearn Spanish over the course of a few months.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I took French in High School for 3 years only because I was one of 3 guys in the class every year.👍 I can speak a little French and can understand most of it but Spanish would have always been a better language to learn as I've always been in construction. I speak a little Spanish but has anyone ever used the Babbel courses and is it worth it.
Non,desole. :D I also took 3 years and despite speaking ok when younger as my best friend came from Canada and spoke French in the house I forgot most of it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Are you looking to gargle a Spanish dude or a french dude? I'm not sure what your question is?
Geez, talk about a phishing post. If he'd posted what you just did y'all would want to lynch him.
At least this time he had a legit question. Something even I was a tad curious about after seeing some of the commercials to add a 3rd language to my grey matter.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
My opinion:
It's virtually impossible for anyone over about 25yrs old to become fluent (functional) in another language .....unless you do an immersion course.
By immersion I mean going somewhere you have no English help.
From people I know that have done this successfully - it takes between 1 and 2 months and they've had to do it by themselves (no wife or travel buddy tagging along).

Reactions: TPC

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My opinion:
It's virtually impossible for anyone over about 25yrs old to become fluent (functional) in another language .....unless you do an immersion course.
By immersion I mean going somewhere you have no English help.
From people I know that have done this successfully - it takes between 1 and 2 months and they've had to do it by themselves (no wife or travel buddy tagging along).
I'd agree that to become fluent you need immersion but to enable you to make basic communication could this be a method?
My daughter majored in linguistics and learned a touch of German, Japanese and can speak quite well in Korean. She teaches English in SoKorea where she's not to use her korean to help her students....and having to wear a mask complicates it even more.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
When we lived in Italy I became decent in work/street Italian. Although, the Italians said they could understand me when I spoke Italian. But, they said I spoke with a very odd accent, which was not at all an American accent. Since most of my Italian had been taught to me by the Croatian 1st Mate, that explained that.

This Croatian Mate was married to a beautiful Italian lady who spoke perfect, and very easy to understand, Italian of the Florence area. We often socialized with them and the four of us decided we would all speak in Italian. But, when my wife or I would speak incorrectly, they would correct us using their excellent English. Pretty funny. Somewhat forced training/learning. But, it worked for us. Good times. Good people and we've maintained contact with them all these years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In Switzerland not unusual for people to speak 4 or 5 even up to seven languages. They pick most of it up as kids and it really sticks and helps as they learn others as adults.
Wife picks up other languages pretty quick.
First check Apps like Duolingo free and explore similar others might be a good start to see if that method is for you.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Don't worry Grads, almost everyone here knows that you have BABBLE completely figured out!!:D

530RL

Reaction score
Babbel, Chatterbug and Mondly are all good and are used by many corporations for basic language skills.

If you are going to do a bunch of it while driving, many prefer Pimsleur as you don't have interact with the device as much and can focus on driving.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The real issue with all of these is doing it.
An example of this is I have the full version of Rosetta stone for Spanish on my computer for several years now. I need to get back started again, I will need to start over when I do.