WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Back Disc Pain: Anyone had surgery or the outpatient treatment?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No luck with Physical Therapy for 3 discs that moved 2 MM out of place.
Unrelenting, excruciating pain.
Anyone get this problem behind them?
I see these ads for office visit cures.
Any good - any takes?

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I truly feel your pain. I've had chronic back pain for years. Not much you can do about it besides strengthening your core or surgery. Has your doctor suggested surgery? My doctor said there is a way to strip or kill the offending nerve but it is risky.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I had L5 S1 fusion last December and have only lost a quarter of the pain. Started P.T. a week ago and am in crazy nerve pain 🙃.

Bails

Reaction score
I've dealt with bulging disks. The research looked at a bunch of people, and five years out the guys that had surgery and the guys who didn't were the same. The surgery relieves the pain faster, however there are risks. Five years ago I saw the three best Orthos in SoCal, they all wanted to cut on me. I held off and five years later I feel good.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I truly feel your pain. I've had chronic back pain for years. Not much you can do about it besides strengthening your core or surgery. Has your doctor suggested surgery? My doctor said there is a way to strip or kill the offending nerve but it is risky.
Nothing yet. I’ll try everything before any serious surgery.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Nothing yet. I’ll try everything before any serious surgery.
Work on your core strength. I have had compression fractures two different times 10 years apart. Last year I suffered bad with pain. My doctor at the Core institute told me the last thing he wanted to do was operate after I healed so good from the last one. So he put together a core strengthening program. It has worked pretty good so far. Now if I actually lost some weight he thinks I would be about 90% pain free, or maybe even better. I did start this routine as PT and just kept following through on my own.

Reactions: TPC

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
This won’t help you now, but I had tremendous back pain... 8-9 mm bulging L4-S1. Pain from Butt to foot. The thought of sitting hurt. Did 6 injections, PT, needling, blah blah blah. I have continued to do core strength and changed my lifestyle. I now run 2-5 miles very single day. Time, strength, paying attention to how you use your body, what and how I lift and staying low on the scales has turned my life around. Held off on surgery even when I could barely move. Glad I did.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I started to lose feeling in my leg and couldn't sit in a car. 2 beers and tylenol with codeine would get me a couple hours sleep
Did chiropractor, PT, vitamins, acupuncture and the TENS muscle stimulator
Finally pain was so bad it sent me to the ground and had a herniated disc L4/L5 that required surgery
I was walking the next day without any meds. Best thing I ever did

4Waters

Reaction score
L5-S1 8mm herniated disk, got 2 cortisone shots while doing physical therapy 13 years ago, still doing good but still have some back pain here and there. Go see Dave Sommers (805) 582-0007 great chiropractor and fellow boater, he's been keeping my blocks stacked straight for 17 years.

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve posted this up a few times and I’m sure a lot roll their eyes at it, but it works. At this stage of the game we ALL have bulging discs.
131C3061-3B14-4CCD-B53C-47856AB32E5F.png

JD D05

Reaction score
I have had this come up 2 times bad in my life both times I ended up going to a neurosurgeon and getting a microdiscectomy, they also cleaned up some floating bone etc. For me it was incredible successful, I did the injections PT etc but nothing helped. I would be less excited to get anything fused.

Core strength could help but I put stretching daily above that.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Look into a spinal cord stimulator.

I can't tell you if it's right for your situation but I know it's starting to be used more for personal injury clients with some success.

You can start with a trial and then some people have it for months or years. But a fair amount get them removed at some point as well.

The epidurals usually provide relief for 1-2 months too.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Any good - any takes?

A good Chiro guy and loosing excess pounds helped me

JD D05

Reaction score
Surgery isn't always your decision. My brother has back pain and finally had enough and saw my doc, and he got turned down. When I saw the MRI it confused me a little to why....

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Get that healing back pain book... best $16 you can spend.

I went through a bout recently of relentless "sciatic" pain for 7 months. went from running 2-3 miles a day to barely being able to walk... couldn't sit, pain was pegged at a 9 daily for 7 frickin months. I did everything, multiple PT's, chiro, acupuncture, massage, stretching, inversion table, massage gun etc etc I threw everything at it, and nothing worked ... I thought I was gonna end up in a wheel chair.... I bought that book and it sat on a shelf for 2+ months before I even looked at it because it sounded looney. Finally I was in enough pain that I decided to read it.... and I swear things have gotten better since that day. I would say now 2 months later I'm down to pain level of 2-3 VS the 9-10 daily.

oldschool

Reaction score
Get that healing back pain book... best $16 you can spend.

I went through a bout recently of relentless "sciatic" pain for 7 months. went from running 2-3 miles a day to barely being able to walk... couldn't sit, pain was pegged at a 9 daily for 7 frickin months. I did everything, multiple PT's, chiro, acupuncture, massage, stretching, inversion table, massage gun etc etc I threw everything at it, and nothing worked ... I thought I was gonna end up in a wheel chair.... I bought that book and it sat on a shelf for 2+ months before I even looked at it because it sounded looney. Finally I was in enough pain that I decided to read it.... and I swear things have gotten better since that day. I would say now 2 months later I'm down to pain level of 2-3 VS the 9-10 daily.
If you haven’t already, read the “Mind /Body Prescription “ book by Sarno. The mind is a powerful thing and can cause much more than back pain. I know this stuff seems like voodoo, but once you read the book and get an understanding of his finding it really starts to make sense. It was a game changer for me.

sirbob

Reaction score
Having worked with spine surgeons for the last 20 years I can tell you there are lots of opinions on how to deal with back pain. Some people are relatively straightforward but when you’re dealing with “pain” it’s not so straightforward. A lot of times the physical things you may see on imaging don’t correlate or correspond to what the patient feels physically. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a spine surgeon say the surgery went perfect but the patient is still symptomatic.

My suggestion is to do your research, talk to a lot of people and take your time before any radical decisions like surgery.

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had herniated disk in the neck. Numb hands, excruciating pain, medicated, rested, contemplated surgery. One day driving through Fallbrook a bee flew in the window of my truck and stung me in the neck. Hurt like hell, swelled up a bit. But the next day I felt great. Occasionally the neck hurts, but the serious symptoms have never returned.

There's quite a bit of info online about it:

badluck

Reaction score
Look into rfa radio frequency ablation. It’s a simple procedure that burns the nerves. It was instant relief and if lasts about a year or so then the nerve grows back.

Reaction score
Look into rfa radio frequency ablation. It’s a simple procedure that burns the nerves. It was instant relief and if lasts about a year or so then the nerve grows back.

I’m going to have this done on June 9, had the cortisone shots and they only lasted about three weeks. So I hope this works. Doctor said it could last for a year or two.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

I’m going to have this done on June 9, had the cortisone shots and they only lasted about three weeks. So I hope this works. Doctor said it could last for a year or two.
I have this done about every 4-5 months , takes away 40-60 % of the pain . Have them put you under , otherwise it’s a little uncomfortable.

JD D05

Reaction score
Also a stim device can help and they are cheap.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I started to lose feeling in my leg and couldn't sit in a car. 2 beers and tylenol with codeine would get me a couple hours sleep
Did chiropractor, PT, vitamins, acupuncture and the TENS muscle stimulator
Finally pain was so bad it sent me to the ground and had a herniated disc L4/L5 that required surgery
I was walking the next day without any meds. Best thing I ever did
Let's hear about what surgery you had.... details help us in discussion. Thanks.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I had herniated disk in the neck. Numb hands, excruciating pain, medicated, rested, contemplated surgery. One day driving through Fallbrook a bee flew in the window of my truck and stung me in the neck. Hurt like hell, swelled up a bit. But the next day I felt great. Occasionally the neck hurts, but the serious symptoms have never returned.

WTF

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

that’s some kinda miracle right there!

JD D05

Reaction score
Let's hear about what surgery you had.... details help us in discussion. Thanks.

That was the same as me. It's a microdisectomy, similar to a scope on a knee. They remove any disc material that is bulged or hemoraged. Than clean of any material that is floating and irritating nerves. You walk out a day or tow after. Full recovery is 2 weeks just taking it easy on a couch etc and lifting nothing more than a couple pounds. After 3 months back to normal with lifting weight etc maybe a little longer depending on age.

JD D05

Reaction score
For anyone on here looking that reads this I have access to very real and accurate statistics on doctors. I could help you find a doc that is the best.

2Driver

Reaction score
Ran the epidural deals until they couldn’t fit a needle in between the vertebrae any longer because the disks were gone. 12 years of pain was enough and I got fused at L4,5 S1.

My Dr was the Dr that put Jessica Lynch back together ( the sole survivor when their Hummer was captured during the gulf war)
Anyway I told him I wanted the offroad suspension of back fusions, I plan on dirt biking, skiing weight lifting etc. He was right there with me and could fully understand my goals. He was that type of person as well, so he got it.

We did 2 operations the same day-posterior and anterior ( front and back). They go in from the front so they can get in bigger bone to replace where the the disks where. This allows more passageway for the nerves. They are limited in doing this from the traditional back approach. Then they sew up, flip you over and go in through the back to screw the stack poker chips together.

All I can say it worked for me 100%. Zero pain and back to all activities. That was in 2005.

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I’m due for another epidural in a couple of weeks ...can’t remember whether this one is for my left knee or my back ..,the one for my back kills the pain in my shin but then like the others have said you can’t do it very often and it doesn’t last very long???...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Once Again - When it comes to back, vertebrae problems, typically we’re all different. I had Spinal Stenosis. There’s no med, PT etc that’s going to correct that. It’s the closing of the “donut hole” of the vertebrae thru which the spinal cord passes. A good neurosurgeon with a very careful hammer and chisel can re-open that passage. My guy took 8 hrs and did it right. L3-L5, done deal and holding. Keep the weight off, reasonable exorcise and move along.

hboutlaw

Reaction score
Work on your core strength. I have had compression fractures two different times 10 years apart. Last year I suffered bad with pain. My doctor at the Core institute told me the last thing he wanted to do was operate after I healed so good from the last one. So he put together a core strengthening program. It has worked pretty good so far. Now if I actually lost some weight he thinks I would be about 90% pain free, or maybe even better. I did start this routine as PT and just kept following through on my own.
What was the program you followed... exercises for core to maintain?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Any good - any takes?

Following. Been dealing with 4 discs for years.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... just spotted this book on one of my bookshelves ...one of my neurologists told me I have neuropathy and arthritis so I’m going to give this a read... looks like it was published in ‘97 and it has to do with glucosamine and chondriitin... I have no idea what those two are but I guess I’m going to find out when I start reading...
D248A588-2AF6-476F-AD49-04A4F42CD348.jpeg

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
My problem is my back pain is related to tight back muscles. Lower , middle , upper.

They are always tight and painful. Im sure the extra lbs in front dont help, but has anyone experienced this also? Its debilitating at times.

JD D05

Reaction score
My problem is my back pain is related to tight back muscles. Lower , middle , upper.

They are always tight and painful. Im sure the extra lbs in front dont help, but has anyone experienced this also? Its debilitating at times.

My back pain is always caused by tight muscles. My hamstrings get tight it heads north and into the back. Find a good massage therapist that works glutes and go often

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Ran the epidural deals until they couldn’t fit a needle in between the vertebrae any longer because the disks were gone. 12 years of pain was enough and I got fused at L4,5 S1.

My Dr was the Dr that put Jessica Lynch back together ( the sole survivor when their Hummer was captured during the gulf war)
Anyway I told him I wanted the offroad suspension of back fusions, I plan on dirt biking, skiing weight lifting etc. He was right there with me and could fully understand my goals. He was that type of person as well, so he got it.

We did 2 operations the same day-posterior and anterior ( front and back). They go in from the front so they can get in bigger bone to replace where the the disks where. This allows more passageway for the nerves. They are limited in doing this from the traditional back approach. Then they sew up, flip you over and go in through the back to screw the stack poker chips together.

All I can say it worked for me 100%. Zero pain and back to all activities. That was in 2005.
That is an amazing story you've got..... won't hear many of these. I've researched and consulted with several orthopedic surgeons over many years. I get MRIs every 5 years to monitor disc compression and any increased protrusion as age doesn't make spine issues easier. . The info I've been given is synthetic disc can be a great option but when you get an honest Ortho dr they'll tell you technology hasn't come too far in 50 years. They're still basically fusing vertebrae to stabilize the region however over years post surgery that fusion creates load north & south on spine and there will be additional issues to deal with down the road in roughly 75% of fusion procedures. I can see there's good info on this post and there's just so many challenges with spine issues. Microdiscectomy is really the only fresh idea the US doctors have come up with lately and they simply borrowed that from shoulder & knee surgeries. Good for cleaning stuff up and removing pressure on nerves however the cause of damage still exist. Lots of band aid solutions like epidurals. Flexibility work, regular massage and staying at proper weight seems to help my spine as I age. Always happy to read a success story when it comes to spines!

PaPaG

Reaction score
Don't laugh but I swear by the inversion machines...Decades of lower back pain due to L4, 5, S1 Sciatica issues due to herniated disc Docs wanted to operate several times, went to the best back Docs including Kerlan/Jobe Medical Center and they all wanted to operate except the last one at Jobe, he said if you can stand the pain wait a few decades and the surgery will be amazing by then vs what it is now, also do CORE work and use an inversion machine. I forgot about the inversion machine until I had some extreme pain about 8 years ago, went out and bought a Jeeter inversion table and in about 3 minutes of hanging upside down my pain was 90% gone. I thought no way on earth this pain can go away that easily, it lasted the entire day from the second I got off the machine. Now that thing goes with me everywhere I can take it...when ever I feel it starting to hurt I go 3-5 minutes and 90% of the pain is gone again....(no surgery) NOT going to happen in all cases but I have heard a ton of stories similar to mine. For a few hundred bucks it can't hurt to try.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My back pain is always caused by tight muscles. My hamstrings get tight it heads north and into the back. Find a good massage therapist that works glutes and go often

I have had this since I was a teenager. I was playing football back then and sometimes it would get so bad it would put me on my back for a week.

Over the years I have tried everything. Injections, traction, stretching, muscle relaxers and pain pills. Yes the pain pills took the pain away, but I don't like being doped up. I am not overweight and I exercise a few time a week.

The only thing that has worked is massage. I have to go every 2 weeks. If I skip a week or 2 I end up paying for it with pain. Even stretching out every morning doesn't stop it. Been to many many Dr's and none have figured out why.

Just read PapaG's. I forgot I used an inversion table for awhile and it didn't help me, but hopefully it will help others.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Pops is laid up at home after his second back surgery. Last year’s didn’t work and this year they went in from the front and the back. 2 day ordeal. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks then sent home, back to ER the next day, back to the hospital for a few weeks and Medicare ran out so he’s pretty much bed ridden at home.

IMO do ALL you can before surgery and get the F in shape. I was shocked when the docs allowed the surgery on my pops. 65, probably 80+ pounds overweight, never works out...recipe for disaster.

riversteveo

Reaction score
Couple things...

Are you over weight... If so loose the weight.
Stretch your Hamstrings, hips, every morning.
Strengthen your core.
Stay away from sugar = inflammation
Look into PRP treatments, and Stem Cell before surgery.... Just my .02

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of options so far...

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Don't laugh but I swear by the inversion machines...Decades of lower back pain due to L4, 5, S1 Sciatica issues due to herniated disc Docs wanted to operate several times, went to the best back Docs including Kerlan/Jobe Medical Center and they all wanted to operate except the last one at Jobe, he said if you can stand the pain wait a few decades and the surgery will be amazing by then vs what it is now, also do CORE work and use an inversion machine. I forgot about the inversion machine until I had some extreme pain about 8 years ago, went out and bought a Jeeter inversion table and in about 3 minutes of hanging upside down my pain was 90% gone. I thought no way on earth this pain can go away that easily, it lasted the entire day from the second I got off the machine. Now that thing goes with me everywhere I can take it...when ever I feel it starting to hurt I go 3-5 minutes and 90% of the pain is gone again....(no surgery) NOT going to happen in all cases but I have heard a ton of stories similar to mine. For a few hundred bucks it can't hurt to try.
Anti gravity really helps reduce discomfort for most back pain sufferers.... Inversion tables are a good recommendation.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I have posted some of this before but an old friend a rock ‘n’ roll drummer Southwind/flying burrito Brothers injured his neck ...he went back to school got his PhD and now has written three books and has a ton of videos on YouTube ...he helped me a great deal getting through my last cervical spine surgery...
I think his business is ...freedom from pain institute??? ...you can access him on YouTube under Eric Dalton...Essentially his deal is deep tissue massage… Which he teaches worldwide..,I haven’t read any of his books but I’m just throwing this out there since we’re exploring the many variables in this thread...

..,A little sample of Dalton’s work..,he really knows his shit... and boy did we have fun in the 60s😳...

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
This won’t help you now, but I had tremendous back pain... 8-9 mm bulging L4-S1. Pain from Butt to foot. The thought of sitting hurt. Did 6 injections, PT, needling, blah blah blah. I have continued to do core strength and changed my lifestyle. I now run 2-5 miles very single day. Time, strength, paying attention to how you use your body, what and how I lift and staying low on the scales has turned my life around. Held off on surgery even when I could barely move. Glad I did.
This is like a parallel story for me , 6 months of all the above, then it fixed itself ? WTF right . My Friend and local rock star orthopedic back surgeon tells me this happens , When I was in pain the tens machine helped a lot (at nite watching tv) Also My Doc freind has some new procedure he's promoting I will see if I can find the video

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wow lots of options. Thanks for the takes.
Pain killers are useless so I went with steroids. Going to start out simple and work my way up the severity treatment scale.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Spinal fusion C4-5-6 about 20 years ago.
Work injury. Started loosing sensation in right index finger. MRI proved the problem. Surgery fixed me. Been working and playing hard since.
Continue on a pain med though, so there’s that.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Wow lots of options. Thanks for the takes.
Pain killers are useless so I went with steroids. Going to start out simple and work my way up the severity treatment scale.
Went through what they call an I.D.E.T. procedure years ago (L4-L5, L5-S1). It is very similar to the discectomy just done with wire and heat. I'm not even sure they are still doing it, but it worked the first time around for me. Re-injured it a few years after and my department along with the Agreed Upon Medical Examiner wanted to retire me (L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1). Their recommendation was fuse the bottom two and put a disc replacement on the top one. I said Fuck No and went to work on rehabing it myself.

A TON of back issues come from a weak core. If you do not stretch a lot, then more than likely your hamstrings and calves are super tight too, which only makes the back and core issues worse. My honest suggestion would be body weight exercise, big emphasis on the core, and stretching.

My .02c's Find a Good Physical Therapist/Sports Medicine/Chiropractor that deals with athletes and rehab. I wish I found mine years before because it probably would have kept me from any type of surgery. I have been barely walking, go to see her(my chiro) and back to running at full speed within a couple weeks.

You also need to look into your feet. Many problems in the back stem from unbalanced feet issues which throw your knees and hips out of whack.

Sorry for the not so direct solution, but each back problem is unique.