WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Back in tha day…..

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We used to do something similar with either hard ball or softball as long as there was 4 of us. Two each team, pitch to self. The field of play was basically between first and second base. One infielder, one outfielder. Base runner was counted according to which fielder it went passed.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I sucked at batting, but when I got a hold of one and ripped it, it felt AWESOME.
My cousin lived in a cul de sac. If it wasn’t a wiffle ball, it was a tennis ball with an aluminum bat. How we didn’t break a window or dent a car, I’ll never know.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
We used to do something similar with either hard ball or softball as long as there was 4 of us. Two each team, pitch to self. The field of play was basically between first and second base. One infielder, one outfielder. Base runner was counted according to which fielder it went passed.
Yep. Over the line. Played thousands of 9 inning games.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
We had lawn jarts with the metal spike. Kids today don’t know what they’re missing. :p I saw one in the store recently. Had velcro tips. Pussies.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Nice, over the fence was an automatic double and over the house was an automatic home run. We played every sport for every season. We didn't have any lawn darts but we did have regular darts that we tied long bungie type strings to and pulled them hard buzzing passed our heads. One of my darts got stuck in a tree, so I hid behind another tree and pulled really hard. Yep, the dart stuck me right in my hand between my thumb and index finger. It hurt like a bitch and surprised us, but damn did we laugh after I pulled it out. Kids today don't know what they are missing out on... :cool:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Its funny, I thought everyone knew what over the line was, I believe it's a west coast thing. I had a boss who was a Short stop for Nebraska, played in the college world series with them, we were talking and I bring up over the line, he looked at me like I had three heads... the best game ever!

wallnutz

Reaction score
We lived next to a cul de sac, we had the bases painted too. If we didn’t have enough for baseball or whiffle ball we played kickball. There were power lines that ran over just behind where second base was. If we could hit over them it was an automatic homer.
My parents still live in the same house, the bases have all been chip sealed over a couple of times but you can still make out home plate.
Good times!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
My Dad couldn't wait to teach my brother and I how to play OTL once we got old enough!! Just like all the rest of you I bet I have a ZILLION hours playing that game. Here's a good one How about PICKLE????????? That was cool because three or four could play and it could be played on that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. Damn, all this was like 60's stuff for me.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Nobody played cup ball?!? Played it waiting for our little league game to start or after. Same rules as kick ball but you pitched a paper cup that you shaped into a ball and hit with your hand. Ran bases like baseball but you used kickball rules so you could peg base runners with the cup to get outs!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Ok so back in the day about15 years ago we lived on a cul-de-sac. We had lived there for years and were all original owners and the kids grew up together. we had the baseball bases painted in the circle. All of the kids learned to ride a bike in the street. I took the kids old bikes and chopped them up and made choppers. I built a box car and the kids pushed each other around. It was a great time until the first household moved out and the crazy lady moved in. She was bat shit crazy. It was sad that she had a daughter that was not allowed out of the house or to play with the other kids on the street.

Our neighbor across the street and one house down from Uma. That is what the daughter called her. I think that it was mother in Korean. they had a son named Kevin and they had a portable basket ball hoop like DWC was trying to sell. So the kids were playing and enjoying the hoop and Uma comes driving up the street. The street is totally open with many places to park. Guess where she had to park. Yep....right in from of Kevin’s house under the basket ball hoop.

The kids were extremely and felt like there was nothing that could be done. So I gather up my thoughts and tools with a brilliant plan to make these kids happy and give Uma something to think about. I grab a milk crate a neighbor has, a cut off of plywood I had, pre $100 sheet prices of today, a ratchet tie-down. I take everything right in front of Uma’s house where there is a light pole and grab a ladder. I cut out the bottom of the milk crate and ratchet everything to the post. Now Uma could not do a thing to stop the kids from enjoying their childhood with only one car and two basket ball hoops.

The kids were having a good time enjoying life. Words were had between the crazy lady and myself. She did not like the kids playing in the cul-de-sac. She ended up going into the house calling the police. They came and told me that I could not put the hoop on the light post But by that time it really did not matter because the kids moved on to the next thing in life.

4Waters

Reaction score
My buddies and I were cutting up mongoose scooters, extending the frames (how we learned to weld) and putting 2.5 and 3 hp Briggs motors on them, we also built taco mini bikes and started our pursuit of more HP (crack for a gear head🤣). Port and polish, back cut the valves with a file and a drill motor, slot the magneto so we could advance the timing and increased the compression by milling the head at a local machine shop that did it for free to help the local hoodlums👍🤣👍. AHHHH the ole days.

Wolskis

Reaction score
My Dad couldn't wait to teach my brother and I how to play OTL once we got old enough!! Just like all the rest of you I bet I have a ZILLION hours playing that game. Here's a good one How about PICKLE????????? That was cool because three or four could play and it could be played on that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. Damn, all this was like 60's stuff for me.
Ahh, pickle in the middle. Thanks for the reminder.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
But not as bad as hot wheel track 😡

My dad wasn't that creative...

I was the good ol fashioned belt for me. 🙄

I had a huge front yard as a kid. So we all played baseball in my front yard. Until the day the ball went through the front window while my dad was inside watching TV...