IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_4114.jpeg
IMG_4115.jpeg
IMG_4116.jpeg
IMG_4117.jpeg
IMG_4118.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is incredible, always love seeing new wooden boat builds.

Taboma

Reaction score
So he's pulling the 7.3 Godzilla out of that flatbottom and putting in that narrow wooden hull designed in the late 30's ?
Hope he's got good insurance and knows a diver.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That’s bad ass. A dream boat. I would have put a BPM 12 in it though.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
You should get Chad at Legend Marine in Spokane WA to do a video and write up of the wood boat in his showroom that’s been there for a year or 2. It’s absolutely incredible!

sonicss31

Reaction score
Dave, thanks sharing the pics and boating content. The build looks amazing. Just sitting here scratching my head why it seems there’s always one or two comments that try to shit it up. Ridiculous.

Taboma

Reaction score
Dave, thanks sharing the pics and boating content. The build looks amazing. Just sitting here scratching my head why it seems there’s always one or two comments that try to shit it up. Ridiculous.
If your "Shit it up" comment is relative to my post # 5, then it would seem you're knowledge of vintage wooden boat design might be limited to "Oh how pretty they are".

Otherwise you'd fully understand why I'm questioning if that awesome Godzilla piece is being removed from what appears to be a flat bottom V-drive to be refitted into that wooden hull.

If that's the case, this guy may learn the hard way, like my dad did. That big torque in narrow hulls, can result in strange handling quirks that can quickly reveal themselves and send the boat to the bottom --- I recall four such "Getting wet" events when my father was racing them. Twice he ended up bloody as a result.
He had much better luck after he switched to a plywood flat bottom Higgins, running built small block chevies instead of Chrysler Hemis. More RPM, less torque worked better.

I spent my entire youth with these boats, including the ones I owned myself.
So yes, the original question, if that engine is going into that wooden boat stands.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
If your "Shit it up" comment is relative to my post # 5, then it would seem you're knowledge of vintage wooden boat design might be limited to "Oh how pretty they are".

Otherwise you'd fully understand why I'm questioning if that awesome Godzilla piece is being removed from what appears to be a flat bottom V-drive to be refitted into that wooden hull.

If that's the case, this guy may learn the hard way, like my dad did. That big torque in narrow hulls, can result in strange handling quirks that can quickly reveal themselves and send the boat to the bottom --- I recall four such "Getting wet" events when my father was racing them. Twice he ended up bloody as a result.
He had much better luck after he switched to a plywood flat bottom Higgins, running built small block chevies instead of Chrysler Hemis. More RPM, less torque worked better.

So yes, the original question, if that engine is going into that wooden boat stands.
LoL my Daddy sunk his boat so yores is going down tooo.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score

So...your dad sunk a boat and now anyone else to build their own boat with big power is a dumbass??

That's a head scratcher.

Taboma

Reaction score
So...your dad sunk a boat and now anyone else to build their own boat with big power is a dumbass??

That's a head scratcher.
No not at all, it's a question. With a comment based on experience.

See if perhaps you can wrap your convoluted brain about this.

The big Ford is clearly already in a boat, one that seems appropriate for that engine.
Dave's post doesn't specify if he's posting two different themes --- Cool Boat and Cool Engine, or if the engine is intended to be installed in the wooden boat.

But that doesn't preclude the fact learned the hard way most likely before you were born, that tossing big power into boats not designed for it can provoke unexpected results.

It's boating conversation, or is this forum all about just gushing and drooling over boats, and not also discussing them ?

You know RDP used to host many very talented authorities on boat design and power, and NO I'm not including myself as anything but a bystander who's interested.
But unfortunately most of those guys have passed or wisely said FUCK IT because they didn't want to deal with the likes of you, who offer absolutely nothing other than snide ass remarks.

MooreMoney

Reaction score

The big Ford is clearly already in a boat, one that seems appropriate for that engine.
Dave's post doesn't specify if he's posting two different themes --- Cool Boat and Cool Engine, or if the engine is intended to be installed in the wooden boat.

But that doesn't preclude the fact learned the hard way most likely before you were born, that tossing big power into boats not designed for it can provoke unexpected results.

It's boating conversation, or is this forum all about just gushing and drooling over boats, and not also discussing them ?

You know RDP used to host many very talented authorities on boat design and power, and NO I'm not including myself as anything but a bystander who's interested.
But unfortunately most of those guys have passed or wisely said FUCK IT because they didn't want to deal with the likes of you, who offer absolutely nothing other than snide ass remarks.
Someone needs to have a drink and chill.

Taboma

Reaction score
LoL my Daddy sunk his boat so yores is going down tooo.
He barreled rolled it water ski racing.
In the 50's people learned by doing, since there wasn't the internet to google shit on.
You learn there's more to making 2500lb boats with a beam of around 6.5' at the widest and a hull that tapers towards the transom, with a slightly rounded bottom go fast, then simply putting big power in them.
So yes, I'm most curious if that engine is planned for that hull and if so how it works out.
If you look at modern designs of similar classic wooden boats, many, if not most planning to run big power, might look the same on top, but are sporting different bottoms, often much wider under the water line to better support the torque.

The hulls design of this project boat resembles those of late 30's Chris Crafts or Gar Woods, not modern power.

My dad and his partner were quite successful water ski racing 19' and 21' Chris Crafts, both in bigger waters of Lake Mead and in particular many high finishes including a 2nd in the Catalina Ski Races.

This was the type of boat (Not my pic) that barrel rolled three times while applying power while exiting turns during races. It's a 1955 21' Chris Craft Cobra. He found better success after removing the Hemi and going with a higher revving small block chevy running a smaller prop.

55 Chris Cobra.jpg

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
I’m confused ( normal) I didn’t see anywhere that the owner was going to race it. Or do anything but putt around and show up at classic boat shows/regattas. Beautiful piece.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 43

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
He barreled rolled it water ski racing.
In the 50's people learned by doing, since there wasn't the internet to google shit on.
You learn there's more to making 2500lb boats with a beam of around 6.5' at the widest and a hull that tapers towards the transom, with a slightly rounded bottom go fast, then simply putting big power in them.
So yes, I'm most curious if that engine is planned for that hull and if so how it works out.
If you look at modern designs of similar classic wooden boats, many, if not most planning to run big power, might look the same on top, but are sporting different bottoms, often much wider under the water line to better support the torque.

The hulls design of this project boat resembles those of late 30's Chris Crafts or Gar Woods, not modern power.

My dad and his partner were quite successful water ski racing 19' and 21' Chris Crafts, both in bigger waters of Lake Mead and in particular many high finishes including a 2nd in the Catalina Ski Races.

This was the type of boat (Not my pic) that barrel rolled three times while applying power while exiting turns during races. It's a 1955 21' Chris Craft Cobra. He found better success after removing the Hemi and going with a higher revving small block chevy running a smaller prop.

View attachment 1235271
Yore right I'm wrong they are all going to die because of yore Daddy issues LoL. But hey what do I know I've never done anything by "doing it" just a keyboard warrior who co-owned and built a few Hondo boat's a few years ago but you do you Bro. Have a great weekend

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That's Ben's project, he owns EFI University here in Havasu... Beautiful Boat, Beautiful shop and if anyone needs efi help or dyno time, his shop is bad ass. And he's a very nice man also.

Is this a new from scratch build, or a restoration?

That's over the top craftsmanship either way. 👍🏼👍🏼

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score

You bring a lot to RDP, personally I trust your opinions when issue involves Electricians knowledge. Going forward Taboma you need be more aware of the RDP generation Gap . Try to notice who posts and who does not post on certain subjects. Like yesterday the disaster of that Donzi coming off the trailer,around here mostly comedy.WTF

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I've always wondered about power in these boats. Almost all the vintage stuff has straight 6's or small V8's.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I’ve posted this several times before…Had a 1949 Chris craft 20’ custom run about… never got around to restoring it.. had the original… can’t remember whether it was a KLH flat head six cylinder… It ran like a top…

Groper

Reaction score
So he's pulling the 7.3 Godzilla out of that flatbottom and putting in that narrow wooden hull designed in the late 30's ?
Hope he's got good insurance and knows a diver.
Assumptions of a motor sitting in a different Boat maybe?
Got it.
Davey didn't mention anything about this 7.3 in question going in the Wood Boat.
Maybe just maybe the photo of the motor you're referring to might just be an innocent Boat sitting in another part of the shop that has nothing to do with or related to the Wooden Boat at all.
I'm a bit disappointed Taboma, as you always bring a lot to the table. :(
Let's hope that there's a Nailhead or a Flathead in that shop that will be used instead of the 7.3 :D

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Someone needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Is this a boating forum or gushing and drooling one ?
If I had to pick a gushing and drooling forum. I like seeing cool hardware and post like you make is making people not want to post cool stuff.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That is so bad ass. I love the power plant too. If I had to guess this thing is going to be a showstopper when done and be a blast on the water.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You should get Chad at Legend Marine in Spokane WA to do a video and write up of the wood boat in his showroom that’s been there for a year or 2. It’s absolutely incredible!

I’ll call him

Taboma

Reaction score
Assumptions of a motor sitting in a different Boat maybe?
Got it.
Davey didn't mention anything about this 7.3 in question going in the Wood Boat.
Maybe just maybe the photo of the motor you're referring to might just be an innocent Boat sitting in another part of the shop that has nothing to do with or related to the Wooden Boat at all.
I'm a bit disappointed Taboma, as you always bring a lot to the table. :(
Let's hope that there's a Nailhead or a Flathead in that shop that will be used instead of the 7.3 :D
Like anything boating related, there's pro's, con's and then the infamous quote "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should", and of course again, that depends on the boat's intended purpose.
A predictable ill-handling boat, is as the word states, "Predictable", you can plan for it, you can plan around it, you can try to drive around it, throught it, or in a manner to avoid it. Unpredictable on the other hand can be dangerous.

In the the case of the ill-handling 21' Chris Craft Cobra, it was rather unexpected because despite having a sharp entry, it flattened towards the stern (So much so it required a turning fin or skeg) and had considerably more beam then did his previous 19' Racing Chris Craft. Certainly more the even older "Barrel Back" design hull than RD posted.
Please keep in mind, I was about nine years old, so I wasn't allowed to perform my own hands on testing. 😁
But I did ride as passenger with Dad on several trips when he tried to duplicate the maneuvers and induce a roll and never could.
This is what made it unpredictable. After the 3rd roll while racing he sold the boat and bought the Higgins, it was harder riding but the hull was far more receptive to bigger power. He also stopped racing the CSR so never ran the Plywood Higgins to Catalina.

I think that Godzilla is a beautiful piece, and despite never wanting to own another, I'll always have a love of these vintage wood boats. I'm just not necessarily a proponent of marrying those two. I'm not a believer that simply throwing more and more HP at something is the ultimate answer to the ultimate or even great performance boat.
But I'd sure love to have that 7.3 in a flat bottom, which it already appears to be in.

I don't think we need to back so far as a flat head ;) although most of those vintage wooden beauties came with the infamous " 141 Herc- block Gray Marine or Chris Craft Marine flat head sixes" Small block Chevys worked well, even some mild Hemi's. One of the more unique Gray Marine "Fireball V8s" we were running in a 18' Mercury Mustang inboard was a 327ci, but not a Chevy but Packard. That was a very fast wooden boat for it's day, at sea level you could hit 60 mph with it's stock power, but that flat bottom was far more punishing that the deep entry Chris's. By then dad was no longer racing due to having his ass pounded up through his shoulder blades for far to many years. 😁

Maybe Dave will grace us with an answer, but I won't be holding my breath. I know he's always on stage playing to his millions of loving admirers and since I'm not considered a member of that club I only warrant marginally legitimate reponses if even that.
I expect nothing more. 🥴

I tend to bring nothing to any table but ill-will and a bad attitude when somebody chooses to disrespect me by putting words in my mouth or selling lies about what I may or may not have been inferring. If you question my words, simply ask.

Otherwise yes, I miss the boat talk and back and forth that used to be RDP. The topics were fun, were educational, we tossed info back and forth, some times we agreed, often we didn't so what.

RDP home to a two year long SXS ranting, or now it's aliens and did Americans land on the moon.
I think it's because RDP has been inundated with BINO's 😖

Taboma

Reaction score
You bring a lot to RDP, personally I trust your opinions when issue involves Electricians knowledge. Going forward Taboma you need be more aware of the RDP generation Gap . Try to notice who posts and who does not post on certain subjects. Like yesterday the disaster of that Donzi coming off the trailer,around here mostly comedy.WTF
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not well schooled in 'Glad Handing' and am easily riled by smart-ass whipper snappers. 🤣
It's simple, there's no mystery with me, if you show respect, I guarantee you'll receive it in kind.

I loved those old school Donzi's, that pic in the road sickened me. My first fiberglass boat was a 17' Formula Jr designed by famous offshore racer an designer, Jim Wynn, that hull design was the predecessor to the 18' Donzi. Don Aronow then bought Thunderbird/ Formula and brought the Donzi to market. Even the seating is the same as my older Forumla.
That little 17' handled countless trips from Newport to Avalon back when I was in high school and thereafter.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I’ve posted this several times before…Had a 1949 Chris craft 20’ custom run about… never got around to restoring it.. had the original… can’t remember whether it was a KLH flat head six cylinder… It ran like a top…
Yes by the mid to later 50's up at Lake Arrowhead, I'd say most all the wooden Chris Crafts were sportin some version of it's Hercules Marine in KL or KF designation. Some had twin updraft Strombergs, others down draft. By the later 50's, the newer Chris's were showing up with small block Chevys and some smaller displacement Chrysler Hemi's from the 300's were showing up.
I used to have all the tools for doing the frequently required valve jobs and other tools, but lost them like everything else in the fire. 😟

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
My first boat as some sort of adult was ChrisCraft look alike,I hate to say knock off because the builders worked hard to bring that boat to market. Boat was 16’ all marine grade wood,Mohagany,no fiberglass. 6 Cyl Gray marine. Boat was built in Piru Ca. Right @ 126,old building still standing. Company was “Mercury Marine”. Not related or part of todays Mercury Marine. First owner of that boat insisted salt water in bilge returning from Lake.The guy stopped by our house occasionally making sure boat was maintained.

Taboma

Reaction score
My first boat as some sort of adult was ChrisCraft look alike,I hate to say knock off because the builders worked hard to bring that boat to market. Boat was 16’ all marine grade wood,Mohagany,no fiberglass. 6 Cyl Gray marine. Boat was built in Piru Ca. Right @ 126,old building still standing. Company was “Mercury Marine”. Not related or part of todays Mercury Marine. First owner of that boat insisted salt water in bilge returning from Lake.The guy stopped by our house occasionally making sure boat was maintained.

Your first boat, REALLY ? 😊--- well sir, also just so happens that in 1963, at the ripe old age of 15, that my first boat, was also a 16' Mercury Boats Sabre with that same engine. 😁👍

Now that's pretty damned cool, because those boats were rather rare in a class mostly dominated by the likes of Chris Craft.
I bought that boat, because dad owned the 18' Mercury Boats Mustang, which had become one of my favorites amongst all the really cool wooden boats he'd ever owned, raced, or I'd skied behind. Including the 1938 Chris (Similar to the barrel back that started this thread) he owned when I was born, that would make probably at least eight various ones.

Now, don't get me wrong, it didn't win on the beauty Pageant Judges stand, oh no, the 19' Racing Chris with the blonde center stripe, or the 21' Chris Cobra took those honors in a tie between them. But performance wise for a stock powered ski boat of the late 50's, that Mercury was fast and it had awesome handling. Besides the cool factor of having a 327 Packard Gray Fireball !!

With my dad's 18' Merc Mustang at Arrowhead, my 16' Sabre was unfortunately destined for more back bay Newport water skiing, or Lake Elsinore trips with my best buddy's older brother doing the trailer towing duties until I got my DL several months later.

Bill Nollenberger built really good, solid boats --- not the prettiest, but they were well designed and stout. You were a member of a very elite club, not many people have even heard of those, let alone owned one. 👍👍

Another thing some might note in the following ads ---- The shipping weight of these boats. We tend to think of these old wooden boats as being heavy compared to our modern fiberglass boats. But really, an 18' wooden planked hull boat, with a double planked bottom with a shipping weight of 1800-1900 lbs, is not nearly as heavy as one might imagine them to be.

When we transitioned to fiberglass boats in the mid 60's, one thing that was really hard to get used to was both the sound and vibrations heard and felt when we hit waves. 😖 In fact the first one had a double hull, so we filled the space between them with a brand new experimental product called --- Expanding Foam 🤣. Really beefed it up, as Boston Whaler discovered later and became very popular as a result.

Check this out when you've got some time. https://www.pleasurebent.com/mercury/mercury-library-page.html

Check out this guy's home page for some other cool beauties. Also in his gallery you'll see a pic of his boat show award winner, yup, you guessed it ----- 16' Mercury Sabre. 😁 I'm telling you man, you were an elitist and didn't even realize it. !!!

You may recognize the names of Bob and Bill Campbell of Hollywood Plastics Products, who was a Mercury dealer, AKA later as Campbell Boats. 😁

Mercury Boats ad-1.jpg

Mercury Boats ad-2.jpg

Mercury Boat ad-3.jpg

Bill Nollenberger Mercury Boats pg 3.jpg

Mercury Sabre.jpg

Mercury Mustang.jpg

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Taboma,incredible info,Thanks. Also,the builders trailer provided on ours was Wood. Heavy 4x6 . Launch the boat and trailer floated.
Really enjoyed that boat,mostly Lake Casitas and Castaic. Castaic had just opened,ramp was like a long steep mountain road. Rangers had a Ford tractor pulling cars up that ramp. Good Times

Taboma

Reaction score
Taboma,incredible info,Thanks. Also,the builders trailer provided on ours was Wood. Heavy 4x6 . Launch the boat and trailer floated.
Really enjoyed that boat,mostly Lake Casitas and Castaic. Castaic had just opened,ramp was like a long steep mountain road. Rangers had a Ford tractor pulling cars up that ramp. Good Times
The wood trailer reminds me of stories dad told how when I was just an infant, he and mom were launching and retrieving a 15 or 16' all white plywood boat named "Pelican" that resembled a larger crackerbox in the surf at Sunset Beach.
The wooden trailer was a huge pain in the ass because it kept getting knocked about by the waves when trying to retrieve the boat. From Sunset Beach they'd run over to Marine Stadium to play. We had pictures of it I lost, but I can't recall what powered it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a cool build! I'm sitting in the Nashville airport looking at the pics and I think I had a pre-mature congratulation!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Taboma,just now found your post February 2021. 👍
Shows up on Google

Last edited:

hman442

Reaction score
A predictable ill-handling boat, is as the word states, "Predictable", you can plan for it, you can plan around it, you can try to drive around it, throught it, or in a manner to avoid it. Unpredictable on the other hand can be dangerous.
My Dad bought a new 1956 Century 16' Resorter with 225 "Merc Intercepter" which, I recall was a Ford Y block with, IIRC, three two barrel carbs. I remember riding in the boat as a kid, till we traded it off for a new 1971 SeaRay. I recall Dad telling me about the "unpredictable" handling of the Century. He said that occasionally, during a fairly tight turn, the boat would roll to the inside, and then the bow would go under, as in aiming for the bottom. The 1st time it happened, he let off the throttle, and it pretty well swamped the boat. The next several times, over the course of several years, he kept the throttle on, and it worked out better, just a little water over the windshield and into the boat. He could not get it to do it "on purpose", it'd just do it whenever it felt like it.