WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad boat accident at mouth of river

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
same as everything.
money and liability. Channel shifts continually
Here's some background info regarding dredging the mouth of the river/lake. The original project was orignially initiated by the Lake Havasu Marine Association in early 2010. It was determined early on that the California side adjacent to Catfish Bay would be the most advantageous area to dredge the channel (to be a half mile long, 50' wide and 4' deep, 5mph speed limit). The Marine Assocaition was also fortunate to enlist the services (at nearly pro bono rates) of a consultant who had successfully threaded the needle of multiple Colorado River projects in the past (she knew all the right people and agencies that needed to be onboard). It was a 20+ month process just to get the approvals of five federal and two state agencies before any silt was moved. It was also critical that the Marine Association had excellent relations with the Chemehuevi Tribe who were instrumental in pushing the process along. Due to very strict fishery regulations, doing this project also had to be fit into a very specific and tight timeline. If something went wrong and dredging was delayed, it would have added another entire year on to the project. It was mid-December 2011 when the dredging began. No bottom material was removed, only relocated. The project took only two weeks to complete at an estimated cost of $60,000. Not a penny of City, County, State or Federal money was used, it was all self-funded by generous private donations from a handful of concerned boaters. When done, Marine Association volunteers marked the deep-water channel on both sides with buoys (again, private money purchased the buoys, rope/chain and anchors). Given normal current patterns, it was estimated that the channel would need touch-up dredging about every three years in order to keep it at a usable depth. Since January of 2012, one touch-up dredging was done and even that required additional permitting.

Having been through all of this, it's an arduous, expensive and time-consuming task -- something that needs government participation in the future. It would be money well spent.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Here's some background info regarding dredging the mouth of the river/lake. The original project was orignially initiated by the Lake Havasu Marine Association in early 2010. It was determined early on that the California side adjacent to Catfish Bay would be the most advantageous area to dredge the channel (to be a half mile long, 50' wide and 4' deep, 5mph speed limit). The Marine Assocaition was also fortunate to enlist the services (at nearly pro bono rates) of a consultant who had successfully threaded the needle of multiple Colorado River projects in the past (she knew all the right people and agencies that needed to be onboard). It was a 20+ month process just to get the approvals of five federal and two state agencies before any silt was moved. It was also critical that the Marine Association had excellent relations with the Chemehuevi Tribe who were instrumental in pushing the process along. Due to very strict fishery regulations, doing this project also had to be fit into a very specific and tight timeline. If something went wrong and dredging was delayed, it would have added another entire year on to the project. It was mid-December 2011 when the dredging began. No bottom material was removed, only relocated. The project took only two weeks to complete at an estimated cost of $60,000. Not a penny of City, County, State or Federal money was used, it was all self-funded by generous private donations from a handful of concerned boaters. When done, Marine Association volunteers marked the deep-water channel on both sides with buoys (again, private money purchased the buoys, rope/chain and anchors). Given normal current patterns, it was estimated that the channel would need touch-up dredging about every three years in order to keep it at a usable depth. Since January of 2012, one touch-up dredging was done and even that required additional permitting.

Having been through all of this, it's an arduous, expensive and time-consuming task -- something that needs government participation in the future. It would be money well spent.

The way things are in this Country any more, there will be numerous people complaining about any $'s being spent on a project like this. Maybe things could be tweaked around to get funds from GFP of California, Arizona and ?. Although there is plenty of money for the $600.00 per week Unemployment and Mega $'s for Stimulus there is NO MONEY for any issue like this.

I will believe it moving past Talk when I see it begin. Projects like this take all the "STARS" to align in perfect timing.

Codysloanmx

Reaction score
Couple things I found on Twitter about the accident.
1F42C38A-18BB-4722-A527-8A85BAEC176B.jpeg
9ACD1F52-37D1-4ED9-8065-A48301CA0BA0.jpeg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The way things are in this Country any more, there will be numerous people complaining about any $'s being spent on a project like this. Maybe things could be tweaked around to get funds from GFP of California, Arizona and ?. Although there is plenty of money for the $600.00 per week Unemployment and Mega $'s for Stimulus there is NO MONEY for any issue like this.

I will believe it moving past Talk when I see it begin. Projects like this take all the "STARS" to align in perfect timing.

Oh I think it more likely they just “shut er down”...

Riverryder

Reaction score
@JFMFG not that it matter but I’m sure size vs size. Money vs money will be a factor for the whole situation...
sucks that family’s and the whole
Community will be impacted from this. And the drivers and passengers life’s will be changed forever...

riverroyal

Reaction score
I would have no issue if that entire area was 5mph. Why not? Theres already these on the way up the river.
If its dangerous as everyone seems to think then slow it down.
Sand movement. Dredge. Speeds. On and on.
2 lives lost in a narrow tough to navigate section, at 5mph this could have been avoided.
I would slow down there to avoid another lost soul.
Its actually a beautiful section and rare spot on the colorado river.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
I would have no issue if that entire area was 5mph. Why not? Theres already these on the way up the river.
If its dangerous as everyone seems to think then slow it down.
Sand movement. Dredge. Speeds. On and on.
2 lives lost in a narrow tough to navigate section, at 5mph this could have been avoided.
I would slow down there to avoid another lost soul.
Its actually a beautiful section and rare spot on the colorado river.

I am going to enjoy watching the replys to this post. IMO going to be on the negative side.o_O

:)

mobldj

Reaction score
i have no desire to travel havasu at all.im a parker guy but all everyone posts all the time is trim it high and let it fly. no thanks.........rip to all concerned

guest hs

Reaction score
I went through the area today we’re the accident was. On my way back I have to say it was sketchy with a dozen boats hailing ass through there. I don’t think a 5 Mph zone would be the answer but maybe a 35-40 mph limit in the Gorge would be a reasonable solution.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
I went through the area today we’re the accident was. On my way back I have to say it was sketchy with a dozen boats hailing ass through there. I don’t think a 5 Mph zone would be the answer but maybe a 35-40 mph limit in the Gorge would be a reasonable solution.
Nope. Once you put a speed limit somewhere it a slippery sloap. No wake zones in certain areas maybe? But speed limits will spread with every accident. It will ruin this lake.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Nope. Once you put a speed limit somewhere it a slippery sloap. No wake zones in certain areas maybe? But speed limits will spread with every accident. It will ruin this lake.

They already opened that "Can Of Worms" with the limit in the Gorge. 🤔

Reactions: SJP

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
i have no desire to travel havasu at all.im a parker guy but all everyone posts all the time is trim it high and let it fly. no thanks.........rip to all concerned
Haven't you heard? Havasu is closed.

JayBreww

Reaction score

So a stop light is not the solution lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Boating has risks. Shit happens. Tragic accidents happen. It is what it is.

If you want to travel a section of the river at no wake speeds you are welcome to, go right ahead. If you want to see the boat market in the southwest collapse, go ahead and impose a speed limit. All those new dual engine pontoons will be worth about $0 :).

You aren’t going to legislate your way out of boating deaths any more than you will legislate your way out of deaths on highways.

I’m sure everyone on here has been boarded up in their houses since March to stop the spread of COVID too right? Because it is worth halting all progress, prosperity, sanity and freedom if we just save one life!

Last edited:

76sanger

Reaction score
10 mph on the entire lake! Starts first thing Sunday morning! Lol

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
10 mph on the entire lake! Starts first thing Sunday morning! Lol

Surf boats will be happy [emoji2363]

I say 10mph for all boats except jet boats and toons!!!! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lets not forget it was at sunset. Let’s go with boating hours of 6am to 6pm in summer. Responsible boating is the answer. Not more rules.

Agreed.

Boating has risks. Boating at night has more risks. Let’s be aware of the risks and move on.

I enjoy a nice run back at dusk. 99.9% of us do it without issue and are careful in doing so.

DWC

Reaction score
Responsible Boat Ha what a joke, don’t see that very often anymore.
It’s been a crazy season for sure. Shitload of boats on the water. Every used boat that floats has been sold. The rental fleet getting launched out of Windsor is insane. (My daughter’s jaw dropped when she heard the 2min rental instruction on the ramp). We stay away from PWC’s, watch for hats flying off and any boat with “flying fenders”. My honest hope is that people are pulled back into kids sports or work. If not, then they learn the basic rules and play safer. We were all there at some point..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It’s been a crazy season for sure. Shitload of boats on the water. Every used boat that floats has been sold. The rental fleet getting launched out of Windsor is insane. (My daughter’s jaw dropped when she heard the 2min rental instruction on the ramp). We stay away from PWC’s, watch for hats flying off and any boat with “flying fenders”. My honest hope is that people are pulled back into kids sports or work. If not, then they learn the basic rules and play safer. We were all there at some point..

Considering all that, and this is the first real tragedy of 2020, in August.

Easter, Memorial Day, Fathers Day, Mother’s Day, 4th of July, Arbor Day, Secretary’s Day, and every weekend people have been talking about crowds and what a shit show it is out there (it is). And still everyone is working together on the water without real problems week after week.

Must be the boaters cards :)

Let It Ride

Reaction score

Whats makes it tough is that you need to hug the island while going through which is the deepest area, With that being said it appears everybody is doing the same. When it’s busy I dread going through, my condolences for those who lost their lives.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’ll confess.. I’m the .1% that rushes off the water. Windsor or the Marina at sunset is a free for all. I tell the kids to wait til I’m backing the trailer up before they start the approach. All 3 kids have done on the water matrix moves to avoid stuff this year. Memorial Day at the Marina was epic. Last weekend at Windsor wasn’t much easier.

There is nothing wrong with staying in your comfort zone. I’ll tell you though, nothing beats a ride back, midweek on an empty lake around dusk in June or October.

Last night I was focused on not getting caught up in other people’s stupidity at Windsor last night for sure... which is why I didn’t focus much on the cops all over the other ramp. We usually do that mid week, and the ramp is empty. Last night was like a standard mid afternoon boat retrieval, without the sun lol.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
How soon we all forget. It was back in May 2015 when U.S. Fish and Wildlife issued a 'surprise' news release announcing the expansion of the 'no-wake' zone as authorized in the "minor modifications to boating restrictions at Havasu Wildlife Refuge." We were about 90% of the way to having the entire 17-mile Topock Gorge become 'no-wake' until an outcry of boaters (lead largely by this forum and Dave Johnson himself) demanded a series of public hearings on the subject before such restrictions were enacted. The opposition to the proposed new rules was so aggressive that U.S. Fish and Wildlife finally backed-off and a couple of members of the Service were actually transferred to new assignments . Is this issue dead and gone? Hardly. The clock is ticking and it won't be long until a full review of Refuge regulations is again on the table.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
This will continue to happen until the "Faster faster faster" mentality goes away.... I will not go anywhere near the lake or the Gorge on a weekend.... Too many wannabe racers with more money than driving skills...
Sad story, but you can bet the farm there are others out there today doing the same thing..
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Laws and rules make no difference if people choose not to use common sense. People pull tubes in the gorge still, or blow through no wake zones. If people act in a somewhat respectful manor, and think not just about their boat, but others around them, most of these issues would resolve themselves.

LC925

Reaction score
I thought I remembered a thread about trying to get that part of the river dredged to make ot wider so shit like this doesn't happen. Maybe that topic needs to come back up. Sad deal all around, I hate seeing shit like this 😪

Shoot, I would pitch in for dredging. I’m sure many others would too. Then it would be a straight in and out from the mouth with no blind spots. Can’t say this would stop things like this from happening but it might help....

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
How soon we all forget. It was back in May 2015 when U.S. Fish and Wildlife issued a 'surprise' news release announcing the expansion of the 'no-wake' zone as authorized in the "minor modifications to boating restrictions at Havasu Wildlife Refuge." We were about 90% of the way to having the entire 17-mile Topock Gorge become 'no-wake' until an outcry of boaters (lead largely by this forum and Dave Johnson himself) demanded a series of public hearings on the subject before such restrictions were enacted. The opposition to the proposed new rules was so aggressive that U.S. Fish and wildlife finally backed off and a couple of members of the Service were actually transferred to new asignments.
Is this issue dead and gone? Hardly. The clock is ticking and it won't be long until a full review of Refuge regulations is again on the table.

The above is fact.The main MORON of the movement to literally shut down OUR river actually had organized the supply of buoys and was ready to set them out on his own authority.He had the backing of superiors also.McCain office even stepped up to get that IDIOT under control and out of town.There should be no doubt that RDP was a serious player in protecting performance boating on OUR river and Lake Havasu.Stay alert people these morons are all around you and ready to attempt closure.Nothing more obvious than this thread.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
As I read so many replies, the more I read the sadder this situation gets.
R.I.P to our Boating brothers who lost their lives. May their families have some solace that they perished doing what they enjoyed.
Without a doubt, I really hate opening these types of threads.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The above is fact.The main MORON of the movement to literally shut down OUR river actually had organized the supply of buoys and was ready to set them out on his own authority.He had the backing of superiors also.McCain office even stepped up to get that IDIOT under control and out of town.There should be no doubt that RDP was a serious player in protecting performance boating on OUR river and Lake Havasu.Stay alert people these morons are all around you and ready to attempt closure.Nothing more obvious than this thread.
Lets not forget the help from state rep. Paul Gosar.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
How soon we all forget. It was back in May 2015 when U.S. Fish and Wildlife issued a 'surprise' news release announcing the expansion of the 'no-wake' zone as authorized in the "minor modifications to boating restrictions at Havasu Wildlife Refuge." We were about 90% of the way to having the entire 17-mile Topock Gorge become 'no-wake' until an outcry of boaters (lead largely by this forum and Dave Johnson himself) demanded a series of public hearings on the subject before such restrictions were enacted. The opposition to the proposed new rules was so aggressive that U.S. Fish and Wildlife finally backed-off and a couple of members of the Service were actually transferred to new assignments . Is this issue dead and gone? Hardly. The clock is ticking and it won't be long until a full review of Refuge regulations is again on the table.

So you’re saying this accident wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for Dave and RDP?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I posted somewhere that I was interested in taking a tres Martin class. People basically told me it was a waste of money. I get my boat doesn’t go over 75 mph but I like to drive it hard. I can’t see a class hurting me. My next boat should run into the 90’s I’m thinking. I’ve only driven a boat that fast once. What I can say about that experience is when I pulled back on the throttles I expected the boat to slow much faster than it did. That was the first time I really realized this fucker has no brakes. The lake was wide open and there were no boats around so it wasn’t an issue. It was just something I wasn’t expecting.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
No need for compromise. No need for additional no wake zones.
No data supports Pirates and Topock have increased boat accidents on the river.
FYI - already have a no wake zone in the Gorge and then the no reason for a no wake zone around the I40 bridge.

This was an accident. 1 person made a bad decision and it ended the worst possible way.
That is painful enough for those that knew those that passed.
The no wake zone at the 40 was a result of a fatal accident there years ago

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
I posted somewhere that I was interested in taking a tres Martin class. People basically told me it was a waste of money. I get my boat doesn’t go over 75 mph but I like to drive it hard. I can’t see a class hurting me. My next boat should run into the 90’s I’m thinking. I’ve only driven a boat that fast once. What I can say about that experience is when I pulled back on the throttles I expected the boat to slow much faster than it did. That was the first time I really realized this fucker has no brakes. The lake was wide open and there were no boats around so it wasn’t an issue. It was just something I wasn’t expecting.

The Tres class is not a waste of money, but you want to take it with your next boat, so the on water portion is in the boat with the speed. Taking it now, will teach you a few things, but the value is on-water in the next boat.