WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad boat accident at mouth of river

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
That's cool looking.... thinking early morning winter months huh .... I thought this thread needed a little respite from the heavyness ... appreciated.

As I've said in the past ...What we need is more Bill Perkins! 👍👍

Joker

Reaction score
every fkn weekend everyone on parker goes up to dam and floats down the river ( no problem with that) then comes the 300,000 boats hauling ass and the dumb ass flat bottoms navigating the huge swells from the pompous wake boats dodging the floaters like a slolam course.add to that the dumb fks with no real boating experiance towing their rug rats everywhere and anywhere.then throw in the lake lice ( which i also own 2) and its a real shit show on the parker strip.

must be why i boat during the weak...........amazing more dont die.rant over.lol
There’s a reason I’ll stick to the river and not take the 22 on the lake. I don’t feel safe taking it further than the gorge. I’m doing the run next weekend but avoiding the lake. Cottonwood north, there’s plenty of room.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I hear all of you with your rants about idiots on Parker and Havasu. Now here is some more bad news..... some of the Boaters in South Florida have cornered the market on stupidity. It is truly a jungle out here! It seems as though...... whatever goes....GOES!

Just the other day...... I am moving a 80ft private yacht to a hurricane hole and some dumbass on a jet ski absolutely refused to give up the center line, going through a bridge. I had no other choice but to hold my line and get on the horn (can’t hail a jet ski on the vhf). I then noticed that the jet skier appeared to be taking selfies and (I am guessing) wanted the yacht I was delivering in the background. I am guessing the last pic was ALL BOW!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I hear all of you with your rants about idiots on Parker and Havasu. Now here is some more bad news..... some of the Boaters in South Florida have cornered the market on stupidity. It is truly a jungle out here! It seems as though...... whatever goes....GOES!

Just the other day...... I am moving a 80ft private yacht to a hurricane hole and some dumbass on a jet ski absolutely refused to give up the center line, going through a bridge. I had no other choice but to hold my line and get on the horn (can’t hail a jet ski on the vhf). I then noticed that the jet skier appeared to be taking selfies and (I am guessing) wanted the yacht I was delivering in the background. I am guessing the last pic was ALL BOW!
I have a feeling I know what yacht you were moving. [emoji3]

Sent From Tapatalk

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
jesus man... you gotta smoke a bowl or something.. lol
A918D5EB-4C39-48A3-8974-08DFEC45B5A1.jpeg

Universal Elements

Reaction score
theory, look over your shoulder before your turn and it’s a setting sun screwing up your view, then add in a silver boat. I don’t know about you but we had a silver car once and people were always missing it and pulling out in front of us.

So true! We’ve had several silver MBZ and BMW’s. They would blend in with the concrete and buildings many times during certain times of the day.

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
Dave should post a standard High performance boating safety quiz on the forum and require we all take it.

and no offense to Tres but his trade secrets should not be Hidden by extremely high cost that some people cannot afford and that those that have the information should pass that on to this forum in this boating safety quiz so that others can learn and become more safe from that experience. We literally could make boating safer on this forum for everyone around us
Great idea. But most of the serious mistakes I've seen over the years from performance boaters were things you learn in a basic boating safety class.

Singleton

Reaction score
Guess the MTI does 100. View attachment 906447

a daughter in pain. logic and answers are not going to help her for a period of time.
Sheriff already stated apx speed of MTI and MTI driver had zero impairments and made a maneuver to avoid the Eliminator. Gut says Sheriff already viewed the chart plotter, and other data from the MTI.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
2 people, low tanks and WFO, been on that MTI at maybe 81 tops.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Has to be really hard on the family to read all the crap that gets posted. And i get trying to defend her dad. But the MTI isn't capable of 100,

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Has to be really hard on the family to read all the crap that gets posted. And i get trying to defend her dad. But the MTI isn't capable of 100,
It reads as though the third person passed? Y/n?

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
a daughter in pain. logic and answers are not going to help her for a period of time.
Sheriff already stated apx speed of MTI and MTI driver had zero impairments and made a maneuver to avoid the Eliminator. Gut says Sheriff already viewed the chart plotter, and other data from the MTI.

Did the Sheriff note that the driver is Mormon so it's impossible for him to have been drinking?

cofooter

Reaction score
Did the Sheriff note that the driver is Mormon so it's impossible for him to have been drinking?
NO, someone else said he was Mormon, the sheriff only said no signs of impairment and they took blood.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The only reason Im posting this is because I've been in that same situation. My father is a seasoned drag boat racer, worked in the boating industry as a mechanic, boat shipper through the panama canal, offshore racer running throttles, etc... and all it took was ONE SECOND for him to hit the boat in front of us as we were following them up the river. You can see in the pictures below the propeller marks into the hull. You can see where the trim plate hit the hull next to the stripes/vent. Someone was sitting right there in the back seat. If he didnt turn a half second sooner/later it would have been the same outcome as this. So yes, my perfect father with many years of experience made a mistake and it was just THAT CLOSE to costing someone their life.

I feel bad for the man who was driving that MTI to have to live with that for the rest of his life whether it was fault or not.

09B8C9F7-C967-4193-A43D-12217F3A7B9B.jpeg
0A76194C-852D-4ED8-8CF6-C924A92896BE.jpeg

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
About 15 years ago we were running in the big part of the lake in our Top Gun. A small bowrider passed us on the port side within 100' and made a hard 90 degree turn to starboard in front of us. All I could do was slam the throttles back as I lost site of him under my bow. We went right over the back of his boat. Luckily nobody was in the back of his boat, but our Cig crushed the deck of the bowrider. The driver of the other boat was hammered drunk. I was completely sober and luckily nobody was hurt.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Guess the MTI does 100. View attachment 906447
As with the Topock tragedy, anytime there is something like this event I try not to be judgmental, overly harsh or descriptive... Even when the numbers of visitors are high, as they have been, the circles we run in are not huge, and paths cross more often than we know. Although I don't personally know anyone that was in either boat, there is always a good chance you know somebody, that knows the driver or passengers. This poor girl lost her father. Sad deal for sure. It still wasn't know who was driving the smaller boat, it may have been a friend driving another's boat, maybe even someone who was just a new boater, and panicked in shallow water. A mistake was made, and it proved fatal. It may not have been by means of clouded judgment, just a mistake.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
To be fair...a 40ft boat doing 70 might as well be a school bus with no brakes. A 40ft V bottom cannot outhandle much of anything in the 20ft range. While it's not a 100mph boat by any means...the fact that it was within striking distance of a 20ft boat at planing speeds means that the driver was not prepared to avoid whatever unpredictable situation that might have occured in front of them.

Sometimes it's best to simply stop and let everyone else clear away. If you're running a 40+ ft boat on the river....I would venture to say that it is the duty of operator of said boat...knowing that it's on the larger end of what is acceptable or practical on the river, to stay very fucking far away from anything in the 20ft range for obvious reasons.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
To be fair...a 40ft boat doing 70 might as well be a school bus with no brakes. A 40ft V bottom cannot outhandle much of anything in the 20ft range. While it's not a 100mph boat by any means...the fact that it was within striking distance of a 20ft boat at planing speeds means that the driver was not prepared to avoid whatever unpredictable situation that might have occured in front of them.

Sometimes it's best to simply stop and let everyone else clear away. If you're running a 40+ ft boat on the river....I would venture to say that it is the duty of operator of said boat...knowing that it's on the larger end of what is acceptable or practical on the river, to stay very fucking far away from anything in the 20ft range for obvious reasons.
On the flip side, why cruise your moped next to a bus with no brakes?
It goes both ways. It is the duty of both operators to act in the best interests of their passengers.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Sometimes you do everything right and take all the precautions possible and accidents still happen, that’s why they’re classified as preventable or non-preventable. Was he just supposed to wait until there was no boats within a mile of him? That would be like trying to keep proper following distance on a Southern California Freeway without having someone cut in front of you.😊

dave29

Reaction score
Take all the training you want , But it comes to seat time driving in different conditions, learning the feel of tte boat. Also reading the water at speed takes time.
You're a perfect candidate for the Tres class. I thought the same thing until I took the class. How wrong I was as others on this thread will agree.

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
The only reason Im posting this is because I've been in that same situation. My father is a seasoned drag boat racer, worked in the boating industry as a mechanic, boat shipper through the panama canal, offshore racer running throttles, etc... and all it took was ONE SECOND for him to hit the boat in front of us as we were following them up the river. You can see in the pictures below the propeller marks into the hull. You can see where the trim plate hit the hull next to the stripes/vent. Someone was sitting right there in the back seat. If he didnt turn a half second sooner/later it would have been the same outcome as this. So yes, my perfect father with many years of experience made a mistake and it was just THAT CLOSE to costing someone their life.

I feel bad for the man who was driving that MTI to have to live with that for the rest of his life whether it was fault or not.

View attachment 906496 View attachment 906497
That's our boat!
Derek is this you?

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I mentioned it because I know the guy personally and have known him for a few years. He doesn’t drink at all period.. The reason he doesn’t drink is because he is Mormon..

I gotcha Dave. No need to explain. An entire half of my family is Mormon. I grew up in the Mormon church.

Duramax

Reaction score
I mentioned it because I know the guy personally and have known him for a few years. He doesn’t drink at all period.. The reason he doesn’t drink is because he is Mormon..
I also find it funny that just because the MTI can maybe do 80mph, he was doing 80 at the time of the accident?

Duramax

Reaction score
About 15 years ago we were running in the big part of the lake in our Top Gun. A small bowrider passed us on the port side within 100' and made a hard 90 degree turn to starboard in front of us. All I could do was slam the throttles back as I lost site of him under my bow. We went right over the back of his boat. Luckily nobody was in the back of his boat, but our Cig crushed the deck of the bowrider. The driver of the other boat was hammered drunk. I was completely sober and luckily nobody was hurt.
How did the scene play out after that? Did it sink? Was he screaming and freaking out? Were you? Did he even know?