WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad Gas- chevrons

spark2678

Reaction score
Buyer beware, my father was a victim today of bad gas in his jeep from Chevron near the bridge. Jeep dealer who's doing the repair said multiple vehicles today for same issue all at different chevrons around town. Took a sample and 80% water. Just FYI!

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Buyer beware, my father was a victim today of bad gas in his jeep from Chevron near the bridge. Dealer said multiple vehicles today for same issue all at different chevrons around town. Took a sample and 80% water. Just FYI!
Which dealer told him that ? The same dealer who was aware of the water but didn't shut the pumps down ??

Taboma

Reaction score
I am reading that as a jeep dealer, not the Chevron dealer.
Makes sense, hopefully that Jeep dealer or other local dealers are contacting somebody, like the local distributer or stations and getting the word out. Curious, if all the gas comes from the same storage tanks, only difference being the additives added at the terminal (Not sure which terminal serves Havasu) you wonder if other brands are being affected as well ?? 80% is one helluva lot of water to find in the one tank, let alone numerous ones.

Taboma

Reaction score
80% Water sounds like intentional sabotage of their fuels?
80% water would put on the gasoline floating near the top of the tanker. Tanker dispenses from the bottom, so most of the truck will dispense gas before it even reaches the gasoline, even after being shaken it will immediately re-separate.
OK, so somebody sticks a water hose in all the Chevron tanks, again, they'll pump from near the bottom, which will be water.

Help me figure out how to dispense an 80/20 mixture of gas and water from the pump ?? Granted I could be missing the obvious here 🤔

DMF

Reaction score
Do you know if this was for both gas and diesel?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
80% water would put on the gasoline floating near the top of the tanker. Tanker dispenses from the bottom, so most of the truck will dispense gas before it even reaches the gasoline, even after being shaken it will immediately re-separate.
OK, so somebody sticks a water hose in all the Chevron tanks, again, they'll pump from near the bottom, which will be water.

Help me figure out how to dispense an 80/20 mixture of gas and water from the pump ?? Granted I could be missing the obvious here 🤔

Assuming most people fill up at about a 1/4 tank or when the needle dips just below 1/4, I believe that would put it right at that 80/20 mark. (its what I do anyway)

this is likely a major ethanol/atmospheric venting problem at chevrons storage facility. doubtful that it is sabotage.

Taboma

Reaction score
Assuming most people fill up at about a 1/4 tank or when the needle dips just below 1/4, I believe that would put it right at that 80/20 mark. (its what I do anyway)

this is likely a major ethanol/atmospheric venting problem at chevrons storage facility. doubtful that it is sabotage.
I get ya, so the station(s) are selling water for over $ 5 gal:oops: Hopefully all those affected can be made whole on this deal !!

Taboma

Reaction score
The $5/gal will be the cheap part in this...
I don't doubt that, in the 27 years we've been filling up the boat and trucks at that Chevron, never had a single problem, unlike some of the other cheaper stations in town.
Bummer for all for sure.

Seas

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fuel sold at LH Marina Chevron? Hope it isn't from the same batch.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Curious, if all the gas comes from the same storage tanks, only difference being the additives added at the terminal (Not sure which terminal serves Havasu)
5-7 years ago, a friend of mine knew a guy who ran the distribution depot out of vegas. This guy said they distributed ALL THE GAS/Diesel to Havasu…. Except the ZIP gas station. He had no idea where they got theirs. At the time a lot of ZIP customers had fuel problems. Which is what prompted the conversation.

I don’t know if this is still true today. But that’s my .02 worth.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I drove by the station noted above
All pumps open for business.

80% water would make me think they would not be selling gas this afternoon.

All someone needs to do is fill a water bottle and see it? Right?

Markus

Reaction score
In most places, all gas stations get their fuel from the same depot.

Ethanol is added at the depot. You avoid transporting or storing gasoline mixed with ethanol.

To turn the generic gasoline into Chevron with Techron or Shell with Nitrogen or gasoline from Bob's Vapes and Gas, a proprietary additive is added to the tanker truck as it is filled at the depot in the case of Shell and Techron, and a standard additive is added in the case of Bob's Vapes and Gas. Costco is different in that it adds its additive at each gas station to get maximum flexibility in fuel sourcing.

If the Chevron stations have received bad gasoline from the depots, there is a probability that other stations have received it, too.

But it may be that only one tanker truck left the depot with bad fuel.

Also, an incident like this would only impact one grade of gasoline.

rrrr

Reaction score
If the affected vehicles were driven to a dealer or shop, they didn't have an 80-20 mix of water and gas in the tank. Those engines wouldn't even start. But it makes more sense if a sample was drawn from the bottom of the fuel tank and that was 80% water.

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I got bad gas in Lake Tahoe once and put it in my Escalade and in two jet skis I had at the time. It was a total cluster fcuk to resolve. Coincidentally it was a chevron I got the gas from.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Stations have alarms and sensors for this just

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Just a heads up....My dad owned gas stations his whole life including Chevron for over 26 years and Mobil. Most all gas is universal, believe it or not usually ARCO, and they the distributor actually adds the additives while fueling the delivery truck. Another friend is a delivery driver and collaborated this. So in essence, the gas is refined by Arco and they wholesale it to the distributor who adds the additives they choose. Believe it or not, my delivery driver friend said Costco actually uses more content of additives than any other gas. The small unbranded stations usually don't add any additives at all. Chevron adds Techroline which from what I was told is a very good additive. For some reason, my dad and friend stated not to buy Shell....no reason given. I believe if there was water and it is only appearing in Chevron, someone is putting it in at the gas station or after the gas is in the vehicle. Unless the deliver driver is putting it in at time of fueling the truck. Otherwise, multiple brands would have this water issue.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Very possible that it’s e85 with a very wee bit of water in it….ethanol mixes with water much better than it mixes with gasoline. The guys at the dealer likely aren’t testing anything, just capturing a sample in a clear receptical and seeing if it separates.

Markus

Reaction score
Due to the design of the fills of the underground storage tanks at many American gas station, the fills are the likeliest place for water intrusion.

At a depot, you would expect very strict quality control and high throughput.
Just a heads up....My dad owned gas stations his whole life including Chevron for over 26 years and Mobil. Most all gas is universal, believe it or not usually ARCO, and they the distributor actually adds the additives while fueling the delivery truck. Another friend is a delivery driver and collaborated this. So in essence, the gas is refined by Arco and they wholesale it to the distributor who adds the additives they choose. Believe it or not, my delivery driver friend said Costco actually uses more content of additives than any other gas. The small unbranded stations usually don't add any additives at all. Chevron adds Techroline which from what I was told is a very good additive. For some reason, my dad and friend stated not to buy Shell....no reason given. I believe if there was water and it is only appearing in Chevron, someone is putting it in at the gas station or after the gas is in the vehicle. Unless the deliver driver is putting it in at time of fueling the truck. Otherwise, multiple brands would have this water issue.

Shell has a very good additive package.

The rest is correct.

Markus

Reaction score
Very possible that it’s e85 with a very wee bit of water in it….ethanol mixes with water much better than it mixes with gasoline. The guys at the dealer likely aren’t testing anything, just capturing a sample in a clear receptical and seeing if it separates.

Good thinking!

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Probably won't have to worry about groundwater contamination anywhere in Arizona in five to ten years. National and International corporations will have already drained it dry. 😥

Your ad here

Reaction score
Probably won't have to worry about groundwater contamination anywhere in Arizona in five to ten years. National and International corporations will have already drained it dry. 😥
I thought it was all the farmers that have depleted or are depleting the ground water causing all those earth fissures.

Subadvantage

Reaction score
VICTIM!! My wife filled her BMW with premium from London Bridge Chevron yesterday morning. She drove about a mile up McCulloch before the car died. Had the car towed to Roadrunner Auto (props to them BTW) yesterday afternoon. They called me this morning said the tank was contaminated with water and possibly something else.

Anyone aware of the process to file a claim with Chevron for the cost of bad fuel and car repairs? This is apparently a widespread issue from what I'm reading here.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Why are they open? I drove by 10 minutes ago. People pumping.....
I'm not going to A chevron for 200 miles around here

JFMFG

Reaction score
VICTIM!! My wife filled her BMW with premium from London Bridge Chevron yesterday morning. She drove about a mile up McCulloch before the car died. Had the car towed to Roadrunner Auto (props to them BTW) yesterday afternoon. They called me this morning said the tank was contaminated with water and possibly something else.

Anyone aware of the process to file a claim with Chevron for the cost of bad fuel and car repairs? This is apparently a widespread issue from what I'm reading here.
Damn that sucks. sorry to hear that

JFMFG

Reaction score
I don't only get bad gas from Chevrons but also many other gas stations when i choose to eat something from the cheep food selection.
So are you saying getting some food from the new joint inside the maverick by riviera before getting on the water is a bad idea? 😂😂😂

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Do you have more info on this?

It is very rare but does happen, jet fuel gets mixed with Avgas. Not a huge deal for turbine engines but it wrecks piston engines in a short time.

Usually because someone isn't doing all of their pre-off load checks like they are supposed to do.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I thought it was all the farmers that have depleted or are depleting the ground water causing all those earth fissures.
I'm guessing he implied that fact between the lines. It's what I read at least.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
We fueled up from a quarter tank with 91 (Raptor requires it) at the Chevron down the street from LBR on Sunday late morning, drove 320 miles and haven't experienced any problems. Any other symptoms other than the motor just dying?