WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad news here in N. Cal

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a 32 Skater. I remember pictures of this boat somewhere bc it has different color canopies.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Looks like a 32 Skater. I remember pictures of this boat somewhere bc it has different color canopies.

It is a 32 Skater. Grads went out on it a few weeks ago and posted some pictures...that is probably where you saw the pictures. RIP to all involved.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
It is a 32 Skater. Grads went out on it a few weeks ago and posted some pictures...that is probably where you saw the pictures. RIP to all involved.

Sounds like the worst. :(
The article said it tipped over, what does that mean?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Not good. We took my Mom up to the Chico-Oroville area today for a Mothers Day deal and the wind was crazy, I don't know if it was a factor in this or not. I hope for the best for all of them.

dtp92648

Reaction score
Sad news... Every time I read one of these articles, it never ceases to amaze me the rude, anonymous comments people post in the comment section of the news article? It's ridiculous how people can jump to conclusions by reading a few short sentences!!! The same thing happened when my buddy was killed in an accident almost 5 years ago... The vicious comments that were made about the people involved just blew my mind!!!

RIP to the parties involved in this accident.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad news and its that time of year were we will see more of this :(

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
One of the people in the boat is a Buddy of mine. I saw the boat afterwards. Based on the damage it looks like he caught a sponson which hooked the boat. It didn't capsize. The picture in the news link is after the boat was recovered and towed to shore. God bless each of their souls. Prayers to them, their families, and their friends.

Her454

Reaction score
So sad. The wind was horrible yesterday, starting up again today. Sorry for your loss Scott. Prayers to the family...

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Prayers said again. Not a good start to the season.
Very sorry for the loss of your friend, Scott.
I didn't read the article, just the info here. If your friend has children and a trust is started please pm me the information.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
That's bad news. Sorry for anyone involved, sad news for this mothers day weekend.

The artical in todays paper says the boat capsized?. Interesting.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Here's the sacbee article. Very veg.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/10/6394919/divers-look-for-missing-boaters.html
Three missing after boat capsizes on Folsom Lake
By Hudson Sangree
[email protected]
By Hudson Sangree The Sacramento Bee
Last modified: 2014-05-11T06:11:50Z
Published: Saturday, May. 10, 2014 - 10:59 pm
Last Modified: Saturday, May. 10, 2014 - 11:11 pm
Copyright 2014 The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
As daylight faded Saturday, divers called off their search for three adults believed to have been aboard a speedboat that capsized earlier in the day on Folsom Lake. They expect to resume their efforts this morning.
?The vessel was recovered. There are some people outstanding at this point,? said Vicky Waters, deputy director for public affairs with the state?s Department of Parks and Recreation.
The accident involved a single vessel ? a 35- to 40-foot speedboat, said Ryan Steele, a State Parks ranger and spokesman at the scene. On Saturday afternoon, he said law enforcement officials were working with family members to identify the number of people on board and their identities.
?We have unconfirmed reports of three individuals reported missing,? he said.
Steele said the accident occurred on the main body of the lake at about 1:45 p.m.
State Parks rangers, deputies with the El Dorado and Placer county sheriff?s offices, and rescue teams from the South Placer Fire District aided in the search.
A California Highway Patrol helicopter equipped for search-and-rescue operations also participated. Law enforcement officials established a command post at the boat-launch area in Granite Bay.
Dive teams were initially delayed because of wind gusts of 25 to 30 mph, Steele said. They entered the water in the early evening but returned to shore about 7 p.m. when they said they were losing light.
Steele said the speedboat has been secured in an undisclosed location.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/10/6394919/divers-look-for-missing-boaters.html#storylink=cpy

BigSteve

Reaction score
One of the people in the boat is a Buddy of mine. I saw the boat afterwards. Based on the damage it looks like he caught a sponson which hooked the boat. It didn't capsize. The picture in the news link is after the boat was recovered and towed to shore. God bless each of their souls. Prayers to them, their families, and their friends.

Its a small boating world Scott,
We saw them at CFW NYD

Skater's in windy and big water conditions, things get very busy in the cockpit and tend to overload the driver !

We learned quickly to swallow our pride and instantly switch from driver operated split foot throttle to co-driver operated center council hand throttles and trims.

Attachments

• powell trip 2113 106.jpg
    powell trip 2113 106.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 95

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
That's bad news. Sorry for anyone involved, sad news for this mothers day weekend.

The artical in todays paper says the boat capsized?. Interesting.

I think it went over in some fashion, but it must of came to rest deck side up. I didn't see any equipment out there that would have been able to right that boat if it came to rest upside down.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score

Sorry for the loss of your friend and the others involved. :(

Was Grads considering this boat?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your friend and the others involved. :(

Was Grads considering this boat?

No. It was a good friend of his boat. All three are friends of Grads.

I just found out there was a 4th person onboard. :(

Chine Walker

Banned
Reaction score
Hello, this is Grads. I don't even no what to say. The owner of the boat is a very good friend of mine and I already miss him dearly. I spent the last two day at the lake waiting for some good news that I know deep down is never going to come. We found out early this morning that there were actually four people on the boat not the three we had thought. Dive crews were out in full force today but the winds are so bad they had to call it at about 12:30 today. They will be back out early tomorrow morning to dive again and use sonar. It is very painful to think that my friends will have to spend another night out there....somewhere.

As far as how it happened,... The drives and motors are in tact so that pretty much rules out some kind of failure. The boat did not flip or capsize. The boat did hook to the left very hard and the right side has a very large crack. It is assumed that they were all pitched out of the boat when it hooked. The boat was found not running most likely because my friend always wears his lanyard.

Please pray for my friends and their families.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hello, this is Grads. I don't even no what to say. The owner of the boat is a very good friend of mine and I already miss him dearly. I spent the last two day at the lake waiting for some good news that I know deep down is never going to come. We found out early this morning that there were actually four people on the boat not the three we had thought. Dive crews were out in full force today but the winds are so bad they had to call it at about 12:30 today. They will be back out early tomorrow morning to dive again and use sonar. It is very painful to think that my friends will have to spend another night out there....somewhere.

As far as how it happened,... The drives and motors are in tact so that pretty much rules out some kind of failure. The boat did not flip or capsize. The boat did hook to the left very hard and the right side sponson has a very large crack. It is assumed that they were all pitched out of the boat when it hooked. The boat was found not running most likely because my friend always wears his lanyard.

Sorry to hear grads . If you stick around could you keep is updated on the situation?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Very sorry to hear this... ...Lost family and friends in a boating accident... ...I know how this feels... ...Thoughts and prayers to the many friends and famlies who will be affected by this...

dribble

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Grads. I saw the rescue crews heading up Auburn Folsom Road towards Auburn where I was watching the Amgen race and thought that they must have found them. I guess they just called off the search due to wind.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Greg

Godspeed

rshrp2003

Reaction score
Very sad news. I never saw this boat at folsom? Greg sorry to hear this about your friends. Keep us posted

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. RIP.

For those of you who like to run your boats, in conditions that warrant lifejackets, this stuff happens almost everyday around the world.

These people would probably be here today, if all had a lift jacket on. For some, life vest look stupid. :(

Grads, do you know if they have video equipment on board and running?

Joker

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your friends Greg.:(

boywonder

Reaction score
I hope they had huge smiles on there face with the sticks down and haul in ass. I know I'm gonna catch grief for this post but I can only hope I get to go out doing somethin I love. May they rest in peace and hang out with the other boating gods and keep the rest of us safe. God speed my friends...... Eric.

dribble

Reaction score
I hope they had huge smiles on there face with the sticks down and haul in ass. I know I'm gonna catch grief for this post but I can only hope I get to go out doing somethin I love. May they rest in peace and hang out with the other boating gods and keep the rest of us safe. God speed my friends...... Eric.

Not from me you won't. As the saying goes. Never trade the thrill of living for the security of existence. I think everybody here lives with that philosophy.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Just saw the names announced on KCRA. Very tragic. RIP. Hope they're found soon.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So sad to read of 4 men being lost. I grieve for all the spouses and children directly impacted......4 families at once, thats hard to swallow.:(
My condolences to your friends' families Greg.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Sad, sad sad. Dare I ask if any were members here at RDP? Not that it matters, just wondering.

RIP Fellow Boaters....

Carl

Chine Walker

Banned
Reaction score

This is very true. He has always wanted a Skater and about a month ago his dream came true. To say that he was thrilled about it is an understatement. To say that someone died doing what they love is very cliche but I have to say that this is one of those cases. I guarantee he had a big ass smile on his face.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Upon arriving at work this morning I found out that I work with many people that knew Jon Smith. Service manager at Maita Nissan here in Sacramento
He was onboard.

Sorry to hear.
R.I.P..

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Very Sad.

RIP to your friends Greg. :(

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Upon arriving at work this morning I found out that I work with many people that knew Jon Smith. Service manager at Maita Nissan here in Sacramento
He was onboard.

Sorry to hear.
R.I.P..

I know jon pretty well. ;(

justfloatn

Reaction score

As far as how it happened,... The drives and motors are in tact so that pretty much rules out some kind of failure. The boat did not flip or capsize. The boat did hook to the left very hard and the right side has a very large crack. It is assumed that they were all pitched out of the boat when it hooked. The boat was found not running most likely because my friend always wears his lanyard.

Sorry to hear about your friends.

I heard about the accident yesterday on the news and when they showed the Skater my first thought was you may have been on it. Glad your ok.

Chine Walker

Banned
Reaction score
I could of very well have been on it and at times over the last couple days I have felt guilty for feeling thankful I wasn't. Ive been out here with the 6 search boats since 7 am. The sonar hit on a couple things but it ended up being nothing. They have searched where a not very credible eyewitness said it happened and are now going to search a few areas where I know my friend would make some passes. My prayers are with Jon Smiths family as it sounds he might have been a last minute a add to the group. He is the only one I didn't know.