WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Badass Engine Builder in Yuma Area Shout Out.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Just picked up my engine from Ronnie Beck @ Valley Ranchers Engine & Machine Shop. I had a pesky oil leak that was getting progressively worse. I thought it was the rear crank seal, turns out a bit of the cork gasket had mushed out at the rear of the oil pan. I could have replaced it myself but I like to support my local engine builder also, I don't have the time and it is hot as hell and humid out there right now. I know anything he does is done right.
Can't say enough about Ronnie and his engine building skills at really fair prices. Best in the Yuma area. I'd put his work up against any great builder out there. Nicest man you'll ever meet as well.
He finally showed me his rig so I thought I'd share it with everybody.
16' Texas Tunnel Light layup, balsa stringers, Tom Papp blueprinted bottom.
1000+ HP 632 CID Brodix aluminum block and heads, titanium rods, Lightened forged crank and bob weights, twin 1150 Dominators. Set back blueprinted dominator pump, snoot, pneudraulic operated diverter, 'B' SST impeller with inducer, loader grate and ride shoe all built by the Yuma local pump guru Vic Van Horn. He made those trick diamond plate valve covers himself. Way too much to list. Give him a jingle if you need a great engine builder.

This thing is retarded quick. Dead stop to 120 mph in 600'. Purely psychotic. :eek: Quickest local on the lower river.
20190719_162055.jpg
20190719_162211.jpg
20190719_162232.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnyairtime

Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on your post....
I signed up to do so, so this is my first post on this forum.

I've been out of boats for a long time... and, had the opportunity to buy a boat from a friend. He's been around boats for as long as I have, and had recently bought an older eliminator 21' open bow jet, powered by a 460BBF. The previous 30yr owner, lived in my neck of the woods (Alpine, here in San Diego).

My buddy had the boat for about a year... when, he recently hurt the motor and was towed back to the ramp. Compression check showed three dead cylinders. SO... after lots and lots of research (I mean... 2 weeks of constant calling to Marine Perf type places to ask about a rebuild and even reman places for a crate motor) I eventually landed here... reading your review of Ron Beck's shop and his knowledge or his "hot rod" (as he called it) as you pictured.

I didn't have his number... but, I called "Becks Performance" out of Yuma. Come to find out, that's a welding shop owned by his son Tommy. And... well... Tommy informed me Ronnie is retired. Tommy said he'd ask if he was interested in doing some more work, and now... I'm towing the boat out to Yuma this next week. Woo Hoo... I'm in 7th heaven right now. But wait... there's more.

To top it all off... I figured I'd have the pump looked at (Berkeley) to make sure the bearings/impeller/shaft etc were all in good shape. Your post, about Vic led me to find his information and call him. Well... that is a story in itself too, as Vic is the one who checked compression on this boat when it gave my buddy fits just after he got it out of the water. So guess what? Vic will be checking the pump out while the motor is out, being rebuilt!!

The three of them (Tommy, Ronnie and Vic) were all VERY accomodating. Super nice (no attitudes like of other places I called), and overly honest. I mean, these kinds of folks are who used to make up the industry and kept me coming back to the water. Those other shops, are who kept me away. Too much attitude, bloated chests, and if you didn't have a 1000hp+ motor in a DCB... you weren't someone they wanted to talk to. SO... super refreshing to be able to take my new boat to someone who is fun to talk to. Who's informative, and shares stories to not "one up" ya... but to inform, and share their experience. But most of all, are VERY knowledgeable and willing to fix your issues.

Thank you for your post of Ronnie Beck. It's what sealed the deal when I was looking for someone to take on my 'new' boats rebuild. Even if he's retired, I'm overly thankful for him and his son at this point.

(the Eliminator, as I brought it home from my buddies house to start 'checking out' how bad it's hurt)

Attachments

• 2020-08-06 19.23.40.jpg
    2020-08-06 19.23.40.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 187

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on your post....
I signed up to do so, so this is my first post on this forum.

I've been out of boats for a long time... and, had the opportunity to buy a boat from a friend. He's been around boats for as long as I have, and had recently bought an older eliminator 21' open bow jet, powered by a 460BBF. The previous 30yr owner, lived in my neck of the woods (Alpine, here in San Diego).

My buddy had the boat for about a year... when, he recently hurt the motor and was towed back to the ramp. Compression check showed three dead cylinders. SO... after lots and lots of research (I mean... 2 weeks of constant calling to Marine Perf type places to ask about a rebuild and even reman places for a crate motor) I eventually landed here... reading your review of Ron Beck's shop and his knowledge or his "hot rod" (as he called it) as you pictured.

I didn't have his number... but, I called "Becks Performance" out of Yuma. Come to find out, that's a welding shop owned by his son Tommy. And... well... Tommy informed me Ronnie is retired. Tommy said he'd ask if he was interested in doing some more work, and now... I'm towing the boat out to Yuma this next week. Woo Hoo... I'm in 7th heaven right now. But wait... there's more.

To top it all off... I figured I'd have the pump looked at (Berkeley) to make sure the bearings/impeller/shaft etc were all in good shape. Your post, about Vic led me to find his information and call him. Well... that is a story in itself too, as Vic is the one who checked compression on this boat when it gave my buddy fits just after he got it out of the water. So guess what? Vic will be checking the pump out while the motor is out, being rebuilt!!

The three of them (Tommy, Ronnie and Vic) were all VERY accomodating. Super nice (no attitudes like of other places I called), and overly honest. I mean, these kinds of folks are who used to make up the industry and kept me coming back to the water. Those other shops, are who kept me away. Too much attitude, bloated chests, and if you didn't have a 1000hp+ motor in a DCB... you weren't someone they wanted to talk to. SO... super refreshing to be able to take my new boat to someone who is fun to talk to. Who's informative, and shares stories to not "one up" ya... but to inform, and share their experience. But most of all, are VERY knowledgeable and willing to fix your issues.

Thank you for your post of Ronnie Beck. It's what sealed the deal when I was looking for someone to take on my 'new' boats rebuild. Even if he's retired, I'm overly thankful for him and his son at this point.

(the Eliminator, as I brought it home from my buddies house to start 'checking out' how bad it's hurt)
You are more than welcome sir.
These are all my old river bum homies that I grew up with and they are the best peeps for sure. Old school and cool!👍😎
Don't know how you got Ronnie out of retirement, but kudos to you if you did!
I launched a rod in my BBC in May and tried to get Ronnie to do a build but at that time he didn't budge. (It's actually his wife that's not budging, she's a cool lady regardless).
Well, as it were Vic told me Bostick Racing Engines was relocating from El Cajon CA to Yuma this summer.
James is here in Yuma now and in the process of building me a truly sick ass 489 ci stroker motor.
We now have Quadrangle of river rat knowledge that I'll put against any chest puffer out there.
And they are cool mofos as well. You can't go wrong with these guys.
That is a cool ass Eliminator you got there man.
Looks very similar to my 20' Liberty.
Keep me updated on the progress and if you ever run the river down here hit me up! Glad this was of help to you.
Cheers!

Johnnyairtime

Reaction score
Good to know. Old river buddies are good peeps.

Vic wondered how I got Ron to take the work too. I wouldn't call him "out of retirement", but after speaking to him he was eager to take the work. Maybe he's just that pleasant of a person to deal with, not like the others I've talked to on the phone who were just the opposite (except Bosstick - he was cool and honest).

The motors coming out today, and being delivered today/tomorrow to Ron. I'm eager to hear what he says about it and hoping it's somewhat positive. Simply because, I found other 'boat' things I need to repair or deal with that'll cost me a few bucks once I get it back.

Then, it's going to Vics for inspection of the pump. It'll go back together with new u-joints and whatever Vic tells me it needs for pump work. Hoping it too... is simple, and only something like a bearing refresher. But we all know, what BOAT stands for!

The better part of all this, as I know it's in GREAT hands. A huge stress reliever to say the least.

... I'm dealing with good people often in my life these older days. Even my Yuma based tractor mechanic (also retired) offered to tow the boat out to Yuma last Friday and take it into the shop this AM, storing it at his house over the weekend. I mean... who offers things like that these days?! GOOD people, that's who!! I try to surround myself of like minded folks.

Ron said; "2 to 3 weeks, he'll have it running". I'm trying to be patient now (not my strong suit), and he hasn't even gotten the motor yet!! haha

(pictured, on it's way to Yuma Friday)

Attachments

• 2020-08-14 11.00.56.jpg
    2020-08-14 11.00.56.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 119

Johnnyairtime

Reaction score
I wanted to update your post, and my response(s)... with more GOOD news;

I got my boat back, and took'er out for a 'test' run on San Vicente yesterday.

WOW... runs like a champ, strong, and clean. No hiccups, burps, hesitation... nothing, but the whistle (from the carb/intake) we all hear!!!

LOVE IT. Can't get this smile off my face!!

I wanted to openly thank;

Tommy Beck...
For answering his phone, and offering to call his dad to see about interest in the rebuild assistance. That call, was money!! Secondly, I wanted to thank Tommy for taking the boat in. Pulling the motor, and delivering the boat to Vic Van Horn at Desert Yacht for pump refreshing. Once back from Vic, Tommy already had the motor back and installed it with a bunch of needed items. Rebuilt the carb too. So awesome. Tommy broke in the cam, and I picked it up (all done).

Ronnie Beck...
For doing his magic. Sourcing a used 460 block, and heads for the newer gen block. The old, had a cracked cylinder and was junk. Not only was he timely, but the price was better than I ever expected. I had planned for twice the cost... and I was beside myself when it came to pay. I mean. I'm not sure if I've ever been so grateful. Okay... maybe I was once I dropped it in the water, and heard her come to life!! ;)

Vic Van Horn...
For doing a pump rebuild in such short notice, and calling me with any detail(s) that he thought I need to be aware of. Just outstanding work, and honest. So glad I was able to get the boat to him, and overly thankful he had the time to fit me in.

Ya know, I had never met these people when the boat arrived at their place(s). My tractor mechanic (Ken H, also retired - LOL) who lives in Yuma but does side work in San Diego and outlining areas... offered to tow the boat home and store it until he could get it over to Tommy's shop. I mean... these kinds of people, are just hard to find anymore. I'm hoping I can call them "friends" more than before... as, I really like good people and those who are honest and selfless.

I only met Vic when I went out to discuss some fiberglass work with a guy named Able. The boat was at Vic's, and I met able there. Vic stopped what he was doing, and we talked for 20min or so. Only time I ever saw him face to face.

I only met Tommy when I picked up the boat. Prior, was either over text messages or phone calls. Really nice to meet him and talk before heading home with an overly Yuma dusty boat (I didn't have the cover with the boat - not too smart). Again, super nice guy who took on "boat work" when that's really not his forte'.

Ronnie... Never met him face to face. I really wanted to, but there was no need. I'm sure down the road somewhere I'll finally get to shake his hand and tell him "Thank you" in person. I'd like him to see how truthful I am when I tell him how grateful I am for his experience and work.

Now... to pull the boat off the trailer and re-do the trailer wiring, paint, bunks, etc. It need some love too. Good winter project!! Maybe, I'll do the boat's floor too this winter (when I'm redoing some of the boat's wiring). Needs a little help around the ski-locker. Might as well as she's now a "keeper"! :)

Here's some pictures of the boat being picked up from Yuma (dirty), cleaned up, and on/off the water;

Attachments

• 2020-10-18 16.25.29.jpg
    2020-10-18 16.25.29.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 2020-10-18 15.36.05.jpg
    2020-10-18 15.36.05.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 2020-10-18 11.07.28.jpg
    2020-10-18 11.07.28.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 2020-10-17 12.23.49.jpg
    2020-10-17 12.23.49.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 2020-10-18 15.54.24.jpg
    2020-10-18 15.54.24.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 175
  • 2020-10-18 14.27.13.jpg
    2020-10-18 14.27.13.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 177

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
That is a really nice ride you have there. Sweet!
You will enjoy many years on that engine for sure, looks great!
The pump is now top of the line as well. I'll see Ronnie here in the next week or so and will show him these posts. He is a very humble man and it will probably make him uncomfortable but, that's how he is built.
Vic, Tommy, Ronnie, all the best peeps. It's how we roll down here.
Glad to see it worked out for you man! Enjoy and come down to the lower river and run with us, we'd love to show you around!
Cheers! And enjoy!

Johnnyairtime

Reaction score
That is a really nice ride you have there. Sweet!
You will enjoy many years on that engine for sure, looks great!
The pump is now top of the line as well. I'll see Ronnie here in the next week or so and will show him these posts. He is a very humble man and it will probably make him uncomfortable but, that's how he is built.
Vic, Tommy, Ronnie, all the best peeps. It's how we roll down here.
Glad to see it worked out for you man! Enjoy and come down to the lower river and run with us, we'd love to show you around!
Cheers! And enjoy!

Thank you! Did you ever show Ronnie??

As you know, I took the boat out and it ran like a champ. BUT, I noticed a water leak around one of the 4" SS exhaust tips. I took the tip out, and OMG... rotten around the bottom of the hole. CRAP! A local San Diego shop repaired the rot... and I went about taking more things off the boat to powder coat, etc. That's where I went haywire.... I took more of the boat apart, found more issues... and decided to get quotes for all the fiberglass/gelcoat repairs. Nobody would touch it for less than $11k. One reputable place wanted $16k. UGH... I was gut wrenched to say the least.

I reached out to Vic again, and he referred me to Able. I had met Able when I was at Vic's and we had discussed making a front anchor locker hatch. But he was busy with a day job at the time, and wouldn't get to it for awhile. Plus, I hadn't found the other major issues before our first meet. Well... Vic had said he'd be able to handle my current needs... which were vast! I took the boat back out to Able (also in Yuma). His to do list started with; Flip the boat over, repair the keel and a new found crack. That was what I had planned, then I asked to repair every gelcoat nick and screw hole. That request turned into a can of worms when Able found bad stringers and a need to replace the recently repaired transom. UGH!!!! WHAAAT?! He was replacing most of the floor when all this was found. I was scared to know what my costs were to be, but I just said; "Do it, it all needs to be done". When I went to check on the boat, pickup or drop off parts, I was overly happy with his work. To the point when it was all done, I asked Able if he was happy with it. His reply was almost a sign, for me to prepare my overly OCD issues that it would be subpar. I prepped the wife, got the cash from the bank, and we headed out to grab the boat.

When I arrived... I was in awe. Able said he doesn't know what perfection is to me and what I was expecting. So, he didn't want to oversell his work. Hence his lack of comments on the quality of the gelcoat over the phone. Honestly, the wife says; "I don't even know what he repaired... where were they?". I had to show her pictures of what he had repaired, it was PERFECT. I was beside myself, and faith again restored. Again, by an honest man just doing what he loved. I was so happy with him and his work, I wrote a "thank you" to him in a facebook group called SoCal Jet Boats. I'll link to the post, hoping it's okay as it has pictures of his work (before and afters, etc).

Link here; https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalJetBoats/posts/3923802214510669/

During all this downtime, I've acquired all kinds of new parts and stuff to customize the boat. I've even bought new wheels/tires for the trailer, in which I cut off the 7" wide fenders and have 10" wide to weld back on. I'll be redoing the floater bar and hitch/surge brakes... along with doing a color change from red to white. The boat sits, with ALL KINDS OF to dos before reassembling. Just custom stuff I really need to focus on; custom alum under engine cover chair holders, refelting the engine cover underside, mood lighting, all new gauges, custom dash switch bezel, custom steering wheel bezel... etc. etc. Once back together, it'll almost be all new.

So, from one rotten exhaust hole... to, a completely gone through hull. Making it all new again with tons of upgrades.

I'm still pinching myself from Abel's work/quality and his low cost. He really saved the day.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Johnny...
You a member of TT?
i used to be on there under all kinds of funny names. sadly most of the old crew from the california section have moved on or died. one of them was one of my best friends other were all friends in real life.

poncho

Reaction score
I wanted to update your post, and my response(s)... with more GOOD news;

I got my boat back, and took'er out for a 'test' run on San Vicente yesterday.

WOW... runs like a champ, strong, and clean. No hiccups, burps, hesitation... nothing, but the whistle (from the carb/intake) we all hear!!!

LOVE IT. Can't get this smile off my face!!

I wanted to openly thank;

Tommy Beck...
For answering his phone, and offering to call his dad to see about interest in the rebuild assistance. That call, was money!! Secondly, I wanted to thank Tommy for taking the boat in. Pulling the motor, and delivering the boat to Vic Van Horn at Desert Yacht for pump refreshing. Once back from Vic, Tommy already had the motor back and installed it with a bunch of needed items. Rebuilt the carb too. So awesome. Tommy broke in the cam, and I picked it up (all done).

Ronnie Beck...
For doing his magic. Sourcing a used 460 block, and heads for the newer gen block. The old, had a cracked cylinder and was junk. Not only was he timely, but the price was better than I ever expected. I had planned for twice the cost... and I was beside myself when it came to pay. I mean. I'm not sure if I've ever been so grateful. Okay... maybe I was once I dropped it in the water, and heard her come to life!! ;)

Vic Van Horn...
For doing a pump rebuild in such short notice, and calling me with any detail(s) that he thought I need to be aware of. Just outstanding work, and honest. So glad I was able to get the boat to him, and overly thankful he had the time to fit me in.

Ya know, I had never met these people when the boat arrived at their place(s). My tractor mechanic (Ken H, also retired - LOL) who lives in Yuma but does side work in San Diego and outlining areas... offered to tow the boat home and store it until he could get it over to Tommy's shop. I mean... these kinds of people, are just hard to find anymore. I'm hoping I can call them "friends" more than before... as, I really like good people and those who are honest and selfless.

I only met Vic when I went out to discuss some fiberglass work with a guy named Able. The boat was at Vic's, and I met able there. Vic stopped what he was doing, and we talked for 20min or so. Only time I ever saw him face to face.

I only met Tommy when I picked up the boat. Prior, was either over text messages or phone calls. Really nice to meet him and talk before heading home with an overly Yuma dusty boat (I didn't have the cover with the boat - not too smart). Again, super nice guy who took on "boat work" when that's really not his forte'.

Ronnie... Never met him face to face. I really wanted to, but there was no need. I'm sure down the road somewhere I'll finally get to shake his hand and tell him "Thank you" in person. I'd like him to see how truthful I am when I tell him how grateful I am for his experience and work.

Now... to pull the boat off the trailer and re-do the trailer wiring, paint, bunks, etc. It need some love too. Good winter project!! Maybe, I'll do the boat's floor too this winter (when I'm redoing some of the boat's wiring). Needs a little help around the ski-locker. Might as well as she's now a "keeper"! :)

Here's some pictures of the boat being picked up from Yuma (dirty), cleaned up, and on/off the water;
Nice to read a happy story. 👍

Johnnyairtime

Reaction score
Yea
I used to be on it a lot back in the day. I remember a few posts 😁

Yaaa.... Me too. "Babes on a bike...." or something. I'm still with my blondie... 19yrs.

Time to get'er out on the boat, once it's in the water again. She's all about gettin' some sun and enjoying the river.

This pic is her, when we got the motor rebuilt and 1st time floating for us. As I've already said, it's in parts... and waiting to get put back together.

Attachments

• 273622908_10227681671734078_4651646414814758777_n.jpg
    273622908_10227681671734078_4651646414814758777_n.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 48