WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bahner 21 vdrive.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Anyone have any information on these boats? Only seen them with a jet. It will be getting a 532 bbc with a little nitrous and a power glide. Supposedly the guy who owned it before claimed a big mph number. Everyone's boat goes 100 miles an hour if you ask them tho.
32399.jpeg
32395.jpeg
32394.jpeg
32398.jpeg
32397.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugginout

Reaction score
I need a good interior guy if anyone knows one.

Backlash

Reaction score
Before you get too far into this, I would put a straight edge on the bottom of that hull. I dont bet often, but I would bet this hull has a pretty good size hook in it. That would be the first thing I'd check once you determine everything else is solid (Stringers, etc.). Where are you located? We could recommend an interior place close to you if we knew where the boat was going to be located.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Boat has 4 stringers and they are solid. Boat started it's life as a vdrive. I'll check for hook tho

motormonkey

Reaction score
Looks nice and like the colors, other than that don't know anything about them.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Me either, a good friend of mine got it from someone that ran it really hard. I know who the guy is and he is a throttle junkie who has some really hard running stuff. My buddy had it painted and the trailer redone and lost interest because of other projects. My buddy has way too many cool projects lmao but I know the boat ran really hard with horsepower in it. It's my poor man's river cruiser lol. I have been wanting one for a long time. Almost got a few different ones.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I don't know. I will check. Why do you ask? No such thing as a stupid question...correct?

lenmann

Reaction score
Is it currently rigged? It would be interesting to the original rigging if it’s still there. (strut, rudder, steering, motor mounts, v-drive, etc.)

If not, did the PO have everything laminated closed so he could start over?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
There have been a lot of conversations about that round keel, My nephew has the same boat BBC -Vdrive just a cruiser so no crazy situations but if you start talking about going fast a lot changes from the 60 to 80 mph world and that rounded Keel had a tendency to fall over at speed. No expert at all just spent time at a shop where they tried to correct this and had a lot of input from other builders. There is a thread on this site about it as well but I cant find it to point you to the conversations.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Is it currently rigged? It would be interesting to the original rigging if it’s still there. (strut, rudder, steering, motor mounts, v-drive, etc.)

If not, did the PO have everything laminated closed so he could start over?
Everything is is there and installed. The boat was on the water and running really well when my buddy pulled the motor and trans. The cav plates are off only because they got polished. I ran into a post about an 81 bahner vdrive with twin turbos.

Bugginout

Reaction score
There have been a lot of conversations about that round keel, My nephew has the same boat BBC -Vdrive just a cruiser so no crazy situations but if you start talking about going fast a lot changes from the 60 to 80 mph world and that rounded Keel had a tendency to fall over at speed. No expert at all just spent time at a shop where they tried to correct this and had a lot of input from other builders. There is a thread on this site about it as well but I cant find it to point you to the conversations.
Please point me in the right direction. I am interested in all the knowledge that I can get. Thank you for any insight you send my way.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I'm away from the boat right now and this is a picture of some of the rigging. The velvet drive is freshly rebuilt but I won't be using it. I have a power glide for it. Thinking I'm going to drop the compression on my 532 a couple points and not install the nitrous just yet. Just need to build the back seat and hatch and have it all covered. I know it's not in the same league as some of the other projects on here but I think it will be a fun hot rod. It'll be on the water next season for sure. I want to enjoy it before I tear it all down. Plus I need to find some knowledge on set up.
32658.jpeg
32649.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

sintax

Reaction score
I'm away from the boat right now and this is a picture of some of the rigging. The velvet drive is freshly rebuilt but I won't be using it. I have a power glide for it. Thinking I'm going to drop the compression on my 532 a couple points and not install the nitrous just yet. Just need to build the back seat and hatch and have it all covered. I know it's not in the same league as some of the other projects on here but I think it will be a fun hot rod. It'll be on the water next season for sure. I want to enjoy it before I tear it all down. Plus I need to find some knowledge on set up.

Don’t stress the “league” of the build, I can geek out just as much on a 10k build as I can a 100k dollar build, as long as they’re being creative and having fun! Just don’t do any of your shopping at Home Depot and you’ll be fine!

What’s your thoughts on the power glide? Out of the box, I’m not sure I’d want a power glide, if what I remember about the gearing is true, I’m not sure that the first gear will be useable at all. Now if you put a custom 1st in it, ok. Also in factory form the length is kind of a bummer too compared to the velvet.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I geek out on all of them as well. The power glide has a custom first gear and I own it already. I don't think that the velvet drive will live over 500 horsepower? It's freshly rebuilt with good internals supposedly. I would love to keep it but my 532 dynoed at 912 and purposely built for nitrous. Jesel shaft rockers, belt drive big heads and an sv 565 intake etc etc. I don't think I want to de tune it that far.

sintax

Reaction score
I geek out on all of them as well. The power glide has a custom first gear and I own it already. I don't think that the velvet drive will live over 500 horsepower? It's freshly rebuilt with good internals supposedly. I would love to keep it but my 532 dynoed at 912 and purposely built for nitrous. Jesel shaft rockers, belt drive big heads and an sv 565 intake etc etc. I don't think I want to de tune it that far.

Tough to say, and depends on who you talk to. Mines handling well over 500hp right now, and it’s not built, nor is it fresh.

I also have it in a heavy cruiser, and I don’t baby it. My plans are to run it till I can’t and rebuild it with some better internals. There’s a shop out of Florida that builds them and claims you can throw 1500hp at their built ones.

If that first gear you have in the PG is around the same ratio as 2nd in a th400, you’ll be ok. Ideally a little taller would be better. It seems most guys just use that extra gear to get out of the hole

Bugginout

Reaction score
Tough to say, and depends on who you talk to. Mines handling well over 500hp right now, and it’s not built, nor is it fresh.

I also have it in a heavy cruiser, and I don’t baby it. My plans are to run it till I can’t and rebuild it with some better internals. There’s a shop out of Florida that builds them and claims you can throw 1500hp at their built ones.
Oh man! My buddy I got it from said it's good for 1000 but I didn't believe him lol. I may try and run it. How much horsepower do you think you are throwing at it? Thank you very much for talking about this with me.

sintax

Reaction score
Oh man! My buddy I got it from said it's good for 1000 but I didn't believe him lol. I may try and run it. How much horsepower do you think you are throwing at it? Thank you very much for talking about this with me.

For sure man, no problem at all.

I don’t have a ton, just shy of 600. It’s a modest little mill.

I can’t exactly recall who, but I remember chatting to someone from NorCal with a blown setup running a velvet. It was almost 800 he said.

Bugginout

Reaction score
That sounds like what my buddy was saying about this velvet.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I'm going to run it. @sintax I have been reading your posts and questions on performance boat forum and on here. Do you have any pictures of how your boat is rigged?

Bugginout

Reaction score
Nice! James built one for me once. I appreciate the pictures. My water pick up is on the bottom and I would like to change it. Your rigging looks a lot sturdier. I am going to make all new hardware. Should be pretty quick and easy to do. Ive got access to a mill and a band saw. I was looking at the DCM build thread and I like the motor plates. The ones they made left a lot of room for activities lol.

sintax

Reaction score
Nice! James built one for me once. I appreciate the pictures. My water pick up is on the bottom and I would like to change it. Your rigging looks a lot sturdier. I am going to make all new hardware. Should be pretty quick and easy to do. Ive got access to a mill and a band saw. I was looking at the DCM build thread and I like the motor plates. The ones they made left a lot of room for activities lol.

yea, thats one of the things we did when I went in a re-plumbed everything, we moved the pickups to the plates and added the strainers, and glassed in the bottom holes.

Bugginout

Reaction score
@MOUZER I have a jesel belt drive currently. Should I look into a gear drive for my water pump? I used to run my enderle pump off my cam. Can I do the same for a water pump in a vdrive?

Bugginout

Reaction score
@MOUZER I have a jesel belt drive currently. Should I look into a gear drive for my water pump? I used to run my enderle pump off my cam. Can I do the same for a water pump in a vdrive?
I apologize in advance for calling on you for information but you seem to have a good understanding of what works. I am on a serious budget but have some really good parts on hand.

MOUZER

Reaction score
i run a can driven waterpump on my blower motor works great

Bugginout

Reaction score
So I already own a jesel belt drive and an enderle 80a that I run off the cam for fuel. I'm wondering if there are any nice water pump ideas for my vdrive. Other than cam driven.

sintax

Reaction score
So I already own a jesel belt drive and an enderle 80a that I run off the cam for fuel. I'm wondering if there are any nice water pump ideas for my vdrive. Other than cam driven.

Why not get one of the Kuhl units that you could stack with your fuel so you can run both off of the cam?

seems like the way to do it.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

My first Hondo came with a Hilborn stack injected motor. Fuel pump, 80A, was ran off the cam at the timing cover and the water pump was belt driven off the crank. I have pictures at home and could post them later.

With that being said, you could to the opposite and run the fuel pump off a belt off the crank, mount it down real low and it would prime easier, and run the water pump off the cam? I believe Hilborn makes a belt drive conversion and it uses a coged belt. I think thats how sprint cars are set up.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Why not get one of the Kuhl units that you could stack with your fuel so you can run both off of the cam?

This is by far one of the cleanest set ups!

guest hs

Reaction score
I believe that Boat is the same hull as my Eliminator Sport Cruiser. Mines a Vdrive it runs good at 78 mph that’s fast enough for me. I believe Greg Shoemaker rigged most of those Bahner Vdrive.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I believe that Boat is the same hull as my Eliminator Sport Cruiser. Mines a Vdrive it runs good at 78 mph that’s fast enough for me. I believe Greg Shoemaker rigged most of those Bahner Vdrive.
My first Hondo came with a Hilborn stack injected motor. Fuel pump, 80A, was ran off the cam at the timing cover and the water pump was belt driven off the crank. I have pictures at home and could post them later.

With that being said, you could to the opposite and run the fuel pump off a belt off the crank, mount it down real low and it would prime easier, and run the water pump off the cam? I believe Hilborn makes a belt drive conversion and it uses a coged belt. I think thats how sprint cars are set up.
I have a really nice belt drive water pump. But I was also just given the front pump and gear drive from my buddy. I have really been blessed over the past few weeks with a bunch of parts.

Bugginout

Reaction score
@namba860 whoever rigged this boat did s really nice job. I was at the boat today and was really happy. It's a round keel and I have been told not run it too fast? You are right though 78 is pretty fast. I'm putting a 499 cubic inch in it. 3.76 sonny bryant crank, crower billet rods 4.60 pistons 13 to 1 compression. old canfield 355 heads and a super vic both ported for nitrous by Steve schmidt jesel shaft rockers and 1050 with a big shot plate under it. Just ordered a cam from Bullet today and. 904 Morrell solid rollers. Should be a good for 80 on av gas.

Bugginout

Reaction score

Because I am putting it together with stuff in the shop and a little help from my friends. My southwind tunnel dragster burned to the ground last year and the only thing that was salvageable was the Merlin block lol. Trying to only spend when I have to and trade when I can. I'm a parts hoarder and have been for years.

sintax

Reaction score
Because I am putting it together with stuff in the shop and a little help from my friends. My southwind tunnel dragster burned to the ground last year and the only thing that was salvageable was the Merlin block lol. Trying to only spend when I have to and trade when I can. I'm a parts hoarder and have been for years.

Your boat, your rules my man. Just tossing some ideas your way. I feel ya.

sintax

Reaction score
@namba860 whoever rigged this boat did s really nice job. I was at the boat today and was really happy. It's a round keel and I have been told not run it too fast? You are right though 78 is pretty fast. I'm putting a 499 cubic inch in it. 3.76 sonny bryant crank, crower billet rods 4.60 pistons 13 to 1 compression. old canfield 355 heads and a super vic both ported for nitrous by Steve schmidt jesel shaft rockers and 1050 with a big shot plate under it. Just ordered a cam from Bullet today and. 904 Morrell solid rollers. Should be a good for 80 on av gas.

Sounds like a damn healthy setup to me!

This big tanks really don’t respond quite as well as a flat or gullwing to the n2o, but it’ll still be fun!

Bugginout

Reaction score

This big tanks really don’t respond quite as well as a flat or gullwing to the n2o, but it’ll still be fun!
[/QUOTE It's all fun man and legitimately I have not alot in the combination and it's not what I would have built. The crank was a gift from a friend when we found out all my old stuff was really junk its a really short stroke. The rods were also. The heads and manifold are too big for anything not turning alot of rpm in my opinion. It's just a really cool pile of parts but should be really fun. The nitrous plate...well I guess I just want to have a fun button and I already had it all.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Really late response but here is the set up. I put that boat back together with a tunnel ram so I didn't run the injection pump, but did run that exact water pump without issue.

IMG_20210716_230042905.jpg
IMG_20210716_230114572.jpg
IMG_20210716_230128579.jpg
IMG_20210716_230300408.jpg

Bugginout

Reaction score
The cam from bullet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-073559_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-073559_Gmail.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20210717-073620_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-073620_Gmail.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210717-073636_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-073636_Gmail.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 54

Bugginout

Reaction score

It was going to be a 532 but the crank 4 inch cola crank was done.

Bugginout

Reaction score
20210717_201650.jpg
20210717_201659.jpg
crank is off to marine crankshaft in Santa Ana. I am looking for a machine shop closer to me. Going to try B&G in yucaipa. Send the rods in for a wellness check. Forward motion.

oldschool

Reaction score
I had a Hallett Super Sport v drive cruiser, same as Eliminator sport cruiser, with the round keel. Ran a 565” Twin turbo setup, C500 w/29’s. Boat was rock solid running in the mid 80’s. But it was explained to me that to safely go faster would take a lot of work and $$$.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I had a Hallett Super Sport v drive cruiser, same as Eliminator sport cruiser, with the round keel. Ran a 565” Twin turbo setup, C500 w/29’s. Boat was rock solid running in the mid 80’s. But it was explained to me that to safely go faster would take a lot of work and $$$.
Brother if thing goes mid 80's I will be stoked. It would be cool to cruise at 65 damn to damn with some throttle bursts in between. It's grandpa's hot rod that is all ya know. It's a compromise with my wife this boat. The boat will be named "Comprised " Thank you for your insight as well.