WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bahner 21 vdrive.

bocco

Reaction score
I will say this I believe the 20 Bahner is the same boat as the Eliminator Sport Cruiser 20. I have the Eliminator version. I have the 9 degree strut Turbo 400 trans and a single carb. 468 15% overdrive C500 12x15 stainless prop my boat runs 78. The boat is a hand full at that speed and starts to nose over. There’s no way that Bahner ran 100 mph and the guy lived to tell about it.
I had an Eliminator myself. I saw issues right at 60. I had a very tired LS6 454. I read every thread about these hulls. From what I remember this hull was designed to be a jet boat that's why it has a rounded keel. Mine would just roll to the left at 60. Worse in very smooth water. Easy things to do while you don't have a motor in it, eliminate all of the through hull water pickups on the bottom of the boat and get the holes filled. Run water pickups on the cav plates. Add a flat ride plate to fill in the gap between the plates. One guy did a nice hinged one and added turnbuckles so it went up and down with the other plates. I think guys had luck with using a wedge type rudder as well. Also the prop lifting the stern can be problem. Taller gears and lower pitch may help that problem.

When I bought mine it had a brass prop. I really started to see the problem when I switched to a steel prop. That prop had large ears and I think that made the problem worse. I tried a smaller prop and it helped a little.

Another suggestion that came from Bergeron was to adjust the plates such that the outer corners got out of the water at speed. I wasn't getting much travel with my electric plates due to the voltage drop in the wires so I added a reversing winch relay in the back of the boat with nice big wires straight from the battery. The wires from the dash switch only provided the direction signal.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

bocco

Reaction score
I found the old thread on the handling issues. Lot's of questions and lots of opinions.