• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Bahner Custom Boats

Discussion in 'Cool old Boat Ads' started by NorCalRiverRat, Feb 21, 2017.

1. NorCalRiverRat

NorCalRiverRat BANNED

Photograph212_zps1d01d19e.jpg

1cole280S likes this.
  2. NorCalRiverRat

NorCalRiverRat BANNED

Photograph36_zps002d3d55.jpg

1cole280S likes this.
  3. pcrussell50

pcrussell50 Well-Known Member

I've got a Bahner, rigged for outboard... This is a 1987, at Lake Mead from last summer

[​IMG]

-Peter

4. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Well-Known Member

Neat to see these old adds.:thumbsup

The first time I met Bahner, I was maybe 14? 15?
    I was riding my BMX bike at Yorba Regional park in Anaheim, we lived across the street from it at the time.

In the park, there's a couple of guys, a truck, a beautiful new boat and a hot chick in a bikini:boobeyes:

They were there doing a photo shoot, using the lake at the park as a back drop.
    Needless to say, I hung out for a while and watched. The :boobeyes: mostly.:D
    Hey, I was a teenager. :)

shueman likes this.
  5. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Well-Known Member

Cool stuff.

Is that Bahner driver the far right the same Harry Christensen that went on to start Advantage boats?

Dave

6. old rigger

old rigger Well-Known Member

Yes, close friends.

wsuwrhr and Uncle Dave like this.
  7. Riley1

Riley1 Well-Known Member

Bahner Bash! 2018. It's gonna happen.

8. Uncle Dave

Interesting - So how did that work?

Did Harry just flat go into competition with Bahner when he started Advantage?

UD

9. old rigger

Yes.

Harry was in the asphalt biz and started his Fiberglass Concepts shop. He made scoops, seats, water dispensing housings.. anything fiberglass he'd make. And of course do repairs.
    He got some molds from a landfill, bought some other molds, one being the Tahiti 20.5 classic mold (or splashed it, this was before I worked for him) and was in the boat biz. I was working for Roger when the deal was made to buy some of his molds and a year later I was working for Harry as his GM/rigger. He didn't tool anything up original until we did the party cat, who knew what that would spawn? (Ron Ehde actually built the bottom plug for us), and then the Citation. For a while he was also a K boat driver/owner. Had a bad crash, rebuilt the boat and kinda drifted out of it. The shop kept his extremely busy anyway.

1cole280S, wsuwrhr and Uncle Dave like this.
  10. Uncle Dave

Super cool info- thanks!

Ron Ehde and Eddie Morenz seem to have spawned much of the West Coasts bottom design.

UD

11. old rigger

They did their fair share, but Bud Bailey (Spectra boats) Phil Percival Esquire ( I think it was Esquire) which turned into Southwind and who ever tooled up the '64 Glastron 'Aqua Lift' bottom which is where the original Tahiti bottom came from (which is a great story in itself) are the big 3 when it comes to shaping the bulk of the so cal boat scene in the 60s and 70s, they're also the most copied boats ever. Not to mention all the flat bottom guys who I know very little about except for Howard Brown. He was amazingly talented.

spectra75 and Uncle Dave like this.
  12. Riley1

Riley1 Well-Known Member

IMG_3269.jpg
    My 18?er in a Helo shot for their add taken before my Dad took delivery. There are more that I can?t find. Notice the pylon and rope, there is a slalom skier back there.

1cole280S and pcrussell50 like this.
  13. pcrussell50

Nice!!! Find more please.

I wish I could find out more about my 18'er too, and it's history. Mine's an '87. I think yours is, too right? I wonder who's is newer? Mine doesn't have the swim step yours does. I wish it did.

-Peter

14. Riley1

Riley1 Well-Known Member

Mine is an 85. I believe ours are exactly the same (except you have 2 forward facing seats).
    Swim steps are ?screwed? on. I?ve watched both of mine fall off. Haven?t had the extra $700+ to throw billet ones on yet.

15. pcrussell50

Correct, mine does have two forward facers... But it still has the same ski pole as yours in the photo... hmmm...

Anyone know the general story of Rod Bahner? From what little I could tell, he's not that old, maybe mid-50's? Some people say he was dragged out into the desert off I-40 and capped. Others say he's living a quiet life doing rigging for another builder...

-Peter