WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

baja 1000 ??'s

D

Deleted Account

Have you ever driven in Mex? You will be doing a whole bunch of miles. 3 Chasers is way light for a 1K race. Driving at night is spooky, and you can count on that too. Wouldn't hurt to have a bed tank with diesel also. I'd bring a GPS, Cell, Sat and a Race Radio.

Get a whole bunch of sleep because you probably won't sleep for three days...

There's a bunch of stuff on race-dezert and the weatherman has some good stuff on pciraceradios...

Good luck, you'll have a blast. :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ya make the best of it.

Booby traps & false detours that the locals construct is all part of the race all along the route.

Diesel is available, but it's best not to wing that, the team should have it all dialed in ahead of time.

GPS is essential.
Have fun.

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
Big Baja Dog can probably help you out here. Or like someone else said race dezert is a good place to go.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
OK...here ya go...take notes.

Diesel, if its an 07 (late) or an 08 your shit out of luck, no low sulfur in Mexico. If its an older sulfur burning truck, no problem with diesel, the only problem will be past El Rosario, get fuel there. (its about 1.90 a gal), exchange dollars for peso's, and only use peso's for fuel, you will spend about $350-450 on fuel there and back, you save 10% with peso's.
Three trucks, you better be using Baja Pits, or one of the other contract pit services, you will NEVER support the car with three trucks, you will loose one just on the first 150 miles, past Mikes turn off. (Mikes is about RM120). That truck is basically lost to the rest f the race, find someone that wants to go down just to service the hwy 3 portion, and go home when they are done, its about 350 miles back to Ensenada to Bay of L.A., or about 8 hours to get to that point, not worth it.:beer

This is one of most unfriendly chase courses ever, the highway is not around the course, gonna need good radios, good sat phones (Meridian, not Global-star), and 4 wheel drive.

Its gonna be a long day and night, we plan on being in Cabo before the sun goes down:D

Were running the 260 Best Buy pro truck. Were gonna have 8 trucks chasing, not counting one that's going to Mikes, which as stated earlier, will be lost for the rest of the race.

Plan to have someone at home on the phone that will track the car on rally track, and is available for the chase guys to call to find out where the car is, its a real life saver, its just a commitment for someone to sit on the computer all day and all night.

Im sure that someone will add to this...take notes!!:beer

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I was always fascinated by that deal, BBD. I can only imagine the logisitical groundwork that goes in to prepping for a race like that, and if it is like other plans, the plan is usually only good for about the first 30 minutes.
Thanks for sharing the real info.
Whiteworks, if ya go, please take notes to share with us when ya get back:D:D

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
just got back from dinner and a couple of top shelf margiritas:beer feeling less stressed about the whole deal now. I know these guys are dropping some big$ to play and I'm sure they have a more specific plans than I am aware of at this point (and hopefully more chase vehicles) where can I rent a sat phone? as far as the deisel its a brand new dodge, so what your saying is that with this vehicle we can run no mexican fuel? I should have more specific info over the next few days, basically got a call this afternoon, Hey you wanna go? Yeah that sounds good to me! whats the game plan? uh, I dont know I'll find out and get back to you! OK I'm gonna tap my resources and see what I can find out! thanks guys. more to follow

Does yor truck say "low sulfur fuel only"? If so dont take it, unless you can hold 200 gallons!!!

Sat phone rentals...All Road Communications, ask for Tina, but you better hurry before they run out of rentals. Tell her Baja Off Road Adventures sent you....888 884 road.
www.allroadcommunications.com

Hopefully they will have more trucks, like I said, three wont cut it!!!

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
just got back from dinner and a couple of top shelf margiritas:beer feeling less stressed about the whole deal now. I know these guys are dropping some big$ to play and I'm sure they have a more specific plans than I am aware of at this point (and hopefully more chase vehicles) where can I rent a sat phone? as far as the diesel its a brand new dodge, so what your saying is that with this vehicle we can run no mexican fuel? I should have more specific info over the next few days, basically got a call this afternoon, Hey you wanna go? Yeah that sounds good to me! whats the game plan? uh, I don't know I'll find out and get back to you! OK I'm gonna tap my resources and see what I can find out! thanks guys. more to follow

Big Bucks is an understatement, try at least 30 grand!!! And we only had two flats, with no part failures!! Good sponsors are worth there weight in gold. Best Buy and Yellow Freight pay some serious dollars.

Ari

Reaction score
I've chased for McMillin Racing in the past and will have some feedback for you later today.....stay tuned.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
From what I understand, there is no low-sulfer fuel and you can't take any fuel over the border. The racers have to order their fuel in advance and then pick it up across the border. Sportin' Wood is not going this year (I don't think) but he has collected quite a bit of data over the years he has been doing it. I'll have him post the links when he gets back from the gym.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I have a ton of info,(I'm working on a book for Baja virgins)

BBD hit on the most important stuff. 3 trucks seems way light for a run down to Cabo. You throw away one of them that heads toward Mikes because its logisticly impossible for them to do anything else.

Check out my Blogs on this site, I have a lot of race reports from Baja races. On top of the fuel issue, Big trucks are a target, figure out a kill switch.

This is the first Baja race I will not be attending since 05. I had to leave the Monster Energy Pflueger race team ( sent in my resignation yesterday) because I have a new Energy drink Sponsor for my jeepspeed team and its a conflict of interest. ( Sorry Ari looks like I am out for your team as well) I think this race is going to be a cluster fawk.

My biggest advice is to be prepared for anything and make sure YOU have what you need to get home. I always take a back pack with the bare minimum I need to survive. It never leaves my side NEVER. I'll pm you the location of a lot of my research. I'm not posting it on public forums anymore.

Good luck and have fun. Be extreamly carefull on the drive home. Being flexable is a must. I'll be listening to the weatherman on the net this year wishing I would have gone.:smackhead

SW

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Sportin hit it...its gonna be a real cluster fock this year, the TJ "parade" thing is not going to happen, (maybe something about the shootings last week, only guessing).

But while in Ensenada do NOT leave your vehicle unattended, period. We lost a truck, trailer and our pre runner last year from the Resort's double guarded parking lot, along with about 15 grand worth of equipt from the truck, and two others were also stolen at the same time!!

Hide your money...keep "ticket" money handy, small amounts to do any pay outs. On the same note, DO NOT offer to pay the cop if you get pulled over, it is considered bribery to ask the cop if you can pay him!!! If he offers, he is breaking the law also, but not much chance he will get in trouble.

Stay on your toes, last year was the worst I have seen in the over twenty five years we have been racing down there, the locals know its a "cash cow" and an easy payday for all the equipment left in trucks around town.

And yes, do not take fuel in cans into Mexico, if its in a tank mounted on the truck your good to go.

Don't be afraid to use the weatherman if you see or suspect trouble (151.625). He sounds like an asshole, and he jumps on peoples shit all the time, and also has a low tolerance for idiots, but he runs the race, and when your dealing with people on radios that don't know what they are doing you can understand his situation. Again if you see trouble or are in trouble use the radio, everyone monitors the weatherman, and I can assure you help is never more than a few minutes away, also be aware of the K markers on the side of the road, its the map of where you are at!!

And oh yea.....have fun!!! Alot of this may scare people, but if yor prepaired, your trip will be a lot more fun, this information is a combination of over 40 years in Baja.....

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
I have a ton of info,(I'm working on a book for Baja virgins)

BBD hit on the most important stuff. 3 trucks seems way light for a run down to Cabo. You throw away one of them that heads toward Mikes because its logisticly impossible for them to do anything else.

Check out my Blogs on this site, I have a lot of race reports from Baja races. On top of the fuel issue, Big trucks are a target, figure out a kill switch.

This is the first Baja race I will not be attending since 05. I had to leave the Monster Energy Pflueger race team ( sent in my resignation yesterday) because I have a new Energy drink Sponsor for my jeepspeed team and its a conflict of interest. ( Sorry Ari looks like I am out for your team as well) I think this race is going to be a cluster fawk.

My biggest advice is to be prepared for anything and make sure YOU have what you need to get home. I always take a back pack with the bare minimum I need to survive. It never leaves my side NEVER. I'll pm you the location of a lot of my research. I'm not posting it on public forums anymore.

Good luck and have fun. Be extreamly carefull on the drive home. Being flexable is a must. I'll be listening to the weatherman on the net this year wishing I would have gone.:smackhead

SW

The boat is a GREAT idea.

And BTW congrats on your WIN that is really awesome.

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
Sportin hit it...its gonna be a real cluster fock this year, the TJ "parade" thing is not going to happen, (maybe something about the shootings last week, only guessing).

But while in Ensenada do NOT leave your vehicle unattended, period. We lost a truck, trailer and our pre runner last year from the Resort's double guarded parking lot, along with about 15 grand worth of equipt from the truck, and two others were also stolen at the same time!!

Hide your money...keep "ticket" money handy, small amounts to do any pay outs. On the same note, DO NOT offer to pay the cop if you get pulled over, it is considered bribery to ask the cop if you can pay him!!! If he offers, he is breaking the law also, but not much chance he will get in trouble.

Stay on your toes, last year was the worst I have seen in the over twenty five years we have been racing down there, the locals know its a "cash cow" and an easy payday for all the equipment left in trucks around town.

And yes, do not take fuel in cans into Mexico, if its in a tank mounted on the truck your good to go.

Don't be afraid to use the weatherman if you see or suspect trouble (151.625). He sounds like an asshole, and he jumps on peoples shit all the time, and also has a low tolerance for idiots, but he runs the race, and when your dealing with people on radios that don't know what they are doing you can understand his situation. Again if you see trouble or are in trouble use the radio, everyone monitors the weatherman, and I can assure you help is never more than a few minutes away, also be aware of the K markers on the side of the road, its the map of where you are at!!

And oh yea.....have fun!!! Alot of this may scare people, but if yor prepaired, your trip will be a lot more fun, this information is a combination of over 40 years in Baja.....

After last years trouble Hubby and Deano (keyes) are racing, chasing and then getting the heck out of town.

Please everyone have fun and be careful.

BBD I knew you would have all the answers. :):)

I always wanted to go to watch a Baja race.....Not anymore, I will stick to getting the local dust and sand in my eyes. :D

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
A couple things to add to the above great info....

1) DO NOT...i repeat DO NOT carry or bring with you any type of pocket knives. I know a guy that got himself into serious trouble for this and it just isn't worth the hassle.

2) Make sure to get Mexican insurance on your vehicle and over-insure it to cover items inside incase it does get stolen. If my memory serves me they allow you to go like 15-20% over KBB value but it does cost a few $$'s extra. (BBD probably has a hook up for this through the tour company)

3) Most importantly, it is going to be a LONG trip and you won't get much sleep while the race is going on. PULL OVER if you feel like you are too tired to drive anymore or use the buddy system and take turns driving. Take a little nap and rejuvenate yourself so you don't find yourself in an accident and hurt yourself or someone else.

As long as you keep your head on straight and don't do anything stupid you won't run into any problems down there. I've been going down to Baja for about 12 years now and have had some of the best times of my life down there. Becareful but make sure to have fun with it.

Lastly, make sure to visit Paris for some great scenery and cold cervesas. :D

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
This famous letter from Bob Bower is a MUST READ for any newbies heading to Baja....

What About You?
I will be blunt. Not brief. This may be the wrong time for brevity.
Deal with it.
It is possible that there will be at least one less member of the greater off-road community around, come November 19, 2005. Someone could die because of their involvement in the Baja 1000.

Dead. Gone.

Will it be you?

“Of course not”. “No way”. “That stuff happens to other people!”
If it pleases you, just toss this thing now. After all, it's just the ranting of one of those guys who never lacked an opinion, or wasted the opportunity to thrust it upon you. Now is the time. There’s a trash can around here somewhere. Toss it if you want to.

If, on the other hand, you might be open to what one guy with a little experience has to offer, read on.

People, the single biggest danger to our safety as we involve ourselves in this race is us. Us. We represent the single largest jeopardy to our own well being out of all the freak things that could happen. On the surface, it would seem that those most in danger of clobbering themselves are those that have less experience down there.

I wonder.

I am one of those with experience, and I know how seductive it is to tell myself that my experience gives me license to risk more than those without it. “The rules are for the new guys” “I can compress time frames”. “I can eat later”. “I don't need to take a nap”. “If I follow this stupid overloaded truck all night, I'll miss my deadline”. “I've got great lights, and I can see past all 6 vehicles ahead of me and take them
all in one pass”.

This race is one long son of a gun. All drivers will feel the pressure to drive past sunset. It's a given. It's a must! There are loads of stories about Baja at night. What is interesting is that very few of the really scary stories come from the race cars. The most amazing and most tragic come from the highway travelers. Is that you? Have you had “Your Story” yet? It's out there, waiting for you. There have been times when the situation happens very far north. Like a tanker full of fish crashing around Santo Tomas, and closing the highway for over 5 hours. Now your
time frames are shot. What do you do? The history of what goes on and how we deal with it is not something to take lightly. Motorhomes crash. People fly, land, and suffer. Tractor-trailer rigs roll over and burn. A pickup full of drunk locals veers over the line and smacks a perfectly good Bronco with chasers in it. It is not a case of “Will it happen?”, but a fact that it will happen. To whom, we don't know. We will know when the flash comes on the radio. Not right away mind you, but only after all the wrong information has had its chance to stab the hearts of those that know names, and care.

Know this. Medical assistance for emergencies comes late, and is lacking. You have to hope that someone associated with the race will be close by and help you. It is first aid at best. Worse is going through a nasty wreck, and you coming through it fine, but your buddy is bleeding and out cold. You were behind the wheel. How do you feel? He trusted you to take care of business so he could sleep. Here is what you should do to increase your chances of staying out of harms way.

. Eat food even if you are not hungry.
. Drive for a maximum of 6 hours and give it to your partner.
(There is only one Ironman)
. Leave early.
. Plan on getting to your destination late.
. Don't drink alcoholic stuff. Period.
. Do not use drugs. Period.
. Ask yourself, “Are we important enough to the people in the race car that
they will feel good about us getting maimed trying to catch them?”
. Ask yourself, “Would I do this if my kids were with me?”

Now…

Think about the great time you will have when you make it back home.
Think about the great feeling of being involved in the toughest offroad race in the world, and getting back home to tell the tales.
Think about how those at home will roll their eyes, and be patient, when you start on one of your stories.
Think about how proud of yourself you will be when you hear a horror story about someone else and realize you did things the right way, and went through the danger successfully.

It may sound corny, but think about how happy your Mom & Dad, or wife, or sister or brother, and yes, your kids, will be when you talk to them after you are home, safe and sound. You've just had the adventure of a lifetime, and you are back! Wagging your tail, your mouth going like a ducks butt, telling everyone what an experience it was. I'm going to the Baja 1000. I am going to have a ball. I won't forget a moment. It will be the biggest, baddest damn race ever. And, I'm coming back from it.
With stories. With experiences. With laughs. With memories, and with the pride that comes of doing a good job.

What about you?
BB
“Life Is A One Lap Race!”

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
A couple things to add to the above great info....

1) DO NOT...i repeat DO NOT carry or bring with you any type of pocket knives. I know a guy that got himself into serious trouble for this and it just isn't worth the hassle.

2) Make sure to get Mexican insurance on your vehicle and over-insure it to cover items inside incase it does get stolen. If my memory serves me they allow you to go like 15-20% over KBB value but it does cost a few $$'s extra. (BBD probably has a hook up for this through the tour company)

3) Most importantly, it is going to be a LONG trip and you won't get much sleep while the race is going on. PULL OVER if you feel like you are too tired to drive anymore or use the buddy system and take turns driving. Take a little nap and rejuvenate yourself so you don't find yourself in an accident and hurt yourself or someone else.
As long as you keep your head on straight and don't do anything stupid you won't run into any problems down there. I've been going down to Baja for about 12 years now and have had some of the best times of my life down there. Becareful but make sure to have fun with it.

Lastly, make sure to visit Paris for some great scenery and cold cervesas. :D

More good shit here....the knife thing is a good idea, haven't seen any problems with them, but with "make the rules as you go" policy with the cops, its probably a good idea.

We use annual insurance policies, but for short trips we also use Discover Baja (619)275-4225, check on an annual, if you try to buy a five or six day policy, it might be cheaper to go annual.
DO NOT..REPEAT, DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER WITHOUT MEXICAN INSURANCE!!PERIOD. Do not drink while driving in Mexico, all the bleeding hearts in the states that feel like drinking should be legal shouldn't go to Mexico, its a pretty cut and dry issue. Drinking and in an accident....kiss your ass goodbye for a few days (and maybe more) and hopefully you made the last payment on your truck!!!

If your going to Cabo stop at the border and get a tourist Visa, some people say they don't check for them at the state line at Guerrero Negro, but its about a 75% chance they will check it, you need an original birth certificate, and its costs about 29 bucks. If the immigration office at the border is closed yo can get it at the state line, but I wouldnt risk it!!

And yes, Paris is a must stop, didnt know they had beer there!!!:D

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
first of thank you guys for the info. It looks like this deal is going to happen. I should be getting more specific info on where they want us pretty soon. Hey SportinWood what's in your back pack? what good paper maps would you recomend incase all the high tech stuff shits out?

AAA, and its at a great price!!!:D

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
Heard from my freind Ed today, it looks like we are going to the start line in Ensanada and then down to San Quintin and we will see what happens from there:D. looking into GPS units any suggestion on portable unit that will take the score down load? I found out that there are several chase vehicles the exact details are still being worked out. the boys are down there right now in the new prerunner running the whole coarse.

PCI has the downloads for Lowrance.

Im jealous, I could spend the week in San Quintin, great little town!! Great hot clam cocktails at the roadside stands!!

The Old Mill is the best!!!