• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Baker/stoker setup questions

Discussion in 'The Outboard Church' started by Nielmcque, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Nielmcque

Nielmcque Well-Known Member

Any baker/stoker guys out there want to share their setups. What height are you running your props at? What props are you running with what motors? I'm running a 225 promax.

2. lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

I'd give a call to Ron Hill. He has a whole lot of experience with that baker hull.

3. ONE-A-DAY

ONE-A-DAY Well-Known Member

Lots and lots, he would be the best resource.

Nielmcque likes this.
  4. 87_stoker

87_stoker New Member

I just picked up an 87 eliminator stoker, Between Al from AL’s outboard and Ron Hill I have a good base to start with as soon as I break my rebuilt motor in. I have a 204 with a Johnson 225. Ron just hooked me up with a 27 and 29 shooter props per Al’s advice and Ron’s stories of running those two props it seemed like a good choice especially for the price. Currently I will be running the 27 with my motor at -2” because it gets on plane quick and I have to be easy on everything for another 6hrs.

Nielmcque likes this.
  5. Nielmcque

Cool thanks I just finished breaking in my 225 promax I have a hydraulic jack plate I think I can go as high as 1 inch above the keel maybe a little more. I currently have a 26 mazco re3 and a 27 turbo lightning prop. I'm still playing around with it all trying to get it dialed in. I tried a 28 performer prop it was too much for the setup. Maybe I'll make some phone calls and keep playing with stuff. I want to try a hydromotive prop but they are through hub 4 blades and I haven't been able to find the right one used and dont know exactly what pitch to choose yet.

6. ONE-A-DAY

ONE-A-DAY Well-Known Member

Three blade ET / chopper style props are going to be your best bet, 24, 26, maybe a 28 in winter, one prop isn’t going to be the answer, it’s a game day decision depending on temperature and load in the boat. Hill makes their eagle line which is a ET / chopper style copy of mercy version, those are what I always used. Stay away from cleavers, they will give you strain lift and a tendency for the the boat to swap ends at speed. Chopper props give you bow lift.

stoker2001 likes this.
  7. bildit4u

bildit4u Well-Known Member

I had a 20' Baker RST with built 200 Mercury, have run LOTS of props and prop heights and different setback on this hull.
    I have props that will work for you. PM me your number and I will send you pictures

8. Nielmcque

All the props I have provided bow lift. I dont have any clever style props. I think i have a 24 chopper somewhere. So far I like the 26 mazco the best