WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Baker/stoker setup questions

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Any baker/stoker guys out there want to share their setups. What height are you running your props at? What props are you running with what motors? I'm running a 225 promax.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Any baker/stoker guys out there want to share their setups. What height are you running your props at? What props are you running with what motors? I'm running a 225 promax.

I'd give a call to Ron Hill. He has a whole lot of experience with that baker hull.

87_stoker

Reaction score

I just picked up an 87 eliminator stoker, Between Al from AL’s outboard and Ron Hill I have a good base to start with as soon as I break my rebuilt motor in. I have a 204 with a Johnson 225. Ron just hooked me up with a 27 and 29 shooter props per Al’s advice and Ron’s stories of running those two props it seemed like a good choice especially for the price. Currently I will be running the 27 with my motor at -2” because it gets on plane quick and I have to be easy on everything for another 6hrs.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Cool thanks I just finished breaking in my 225 promax I have a hydraulic jack plate I think I can go as high as 1 inch above the keel maybe a little more. I currently have a 26 mazco re3 and a 27 turbo lightning prop. I'm still playing around with it all trying to get it dialed in. I tried a 28 performer prop it was too much for the setup. Maybe I'll make some phone calls and keep playing with stuff. I want to try a hydromotive prop but they are through hub 4 blades and I haven't been able to find the right one used and dont know exactly what pitch to choose yet.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Cool thanks I just finished breaking in my 225 promax I have a hydraulic jack plate I think I can go as high as 1 inch above the keel maybe a little more. I currently have a 26 mazco re3 and a 27 turbo lightning prop. I'm still playing around with it all trying to get it dialed in. I tried a 28 performer prop it was too much for the setup. Maybe I'll make some phone calls and keep playing with stuff. I want to try a hydromotive prop but they are through hub 4 blades and I haven't been able to find the right one used and dont know exactly what pitch to choose yet.

Three blade ET / chopper style props are going to be your best bet, 24, 26, maybe a 28 in winter, one prop isn’t going to be the answer, it’s a game day decision depending on temperature and load in the boat. Hill makes their eagle line which is a ET / chopper style copy of mercy version, those are what I always used. Stay away from cleavers, they will give you strain lift and a tendency for the the boat to swap ends at speed. Chopper props give you bow lift.

bildit4u

Reaction score
Three blade ET / chopper style props are going to be your best bet, 24, 26, maybe a 28 in winter, one prop isn’t going to be the answer, it’s a game day decision depending on temperature and load in the boat. Hill makes their eagle line which is a ET / chopper style copy of mercy version, those are what I always used. Stay away from cleavers, they will give you strain lift and a tendency for the the boat to swap ends at speed. Chopper props give you bow lift.
I had a 20' Baker RST with built 200 Mercury, have run LOTS of props and prop heights and different setback on this hull.
I have props that will work for you. PM me your number and I will send you pictures

Nielmcque

Reaction score
All the props I have provided bow lift. I dont have any clever style props. I think i have a 24 chopper somewhere. So far I like the 26 mazco the best

gqchris

Reaction score
All the props I have provided bow lift. I dont have any clever style props. I think i have a 24 chopper somewhere. So far I like the 26 mazco the best

This, I have a 26 Mazco right now on mine. Its seems to be a good all around choice. I have a 28 ET I want to try soon.

I have alot of setback, 12" plus whats built in. I have a hydraulic jackplate also so I am always messing with my height. But she defintaley responds with some motor lift.

Glad to hear you finally got a motor on her and up and running!

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Yeah it's up and going the motor is worth more then the whole boat but is is fun.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you’re on Facebook. Look up the group stoker boat owners and fans. Al stoker is quite active on there

gqchris

Reaction score
If you’re on Facebook. Look up the group stoker boat owners and fans. Al stoker is quite active on there

Stoker doesnt really like when we mention the name Baker. Lol

But he has always been helpful to me on ScreamnFly. Great guy thats knows these boats up and down.

kellytheaker

Reaction score
I believe 26- 27- possibly a 28 is your ticket on that motor . I currently run a 26 ET and it provides some stern lift in the upper rpm . A 4 blade 26 pro ET is just smoother .for all out a27-28 pitch should find your top end # s . I am interested in your setback - you are running a stock transom bracket - plus a 12 inch jack - is that correct.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I'm only running a 4 inch set back hydraulic jack plate. I have a 27 coming this week. And hopefully testing this weekend.

kellytheaker

Reaction score
I got confused with #9 post - so your running right off transom with just the hydrolic 4 inch . No offset bracket . Just the jack

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
That was my boat about 3 owners back. With the 220 on it I ran a 28 chopper most of the time. It seemed to like about an inch above. If I had weight in the boat put on the 26 chopper. I don't think you need any more setback. I never had trouble carrying the bow. It was always responsive to trim with the roost about top of cowl high. Where are you located? I have some choppers you can try. Great to see it's still running around. I had a lot of great times in that boat.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
That was my boat about 3 owners back. With the 220 on it I ran a 28 chopper most of the time. It seemed to like about an inch above. If I had weight in the boat put on the 26 chopper. I don't think you need any more setback. I never had trouble carrying the bow. It was always responsive to trim with the roost about top of cowl high. Where are you located? I have some choppers you can try. Great to see it's still running around. I had a lot of great times in that boat.
I located in California near temecula.