WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ballpark cost for a pool and landscape in Havasu

baja-chris

Reaction score
In Lake Havasu City, thinking of buying a new home with a bare dirt backyard. Yard roughly 35x70.
Want a 15x30 pool, hardscape, some desert plantings. Typical pool. Nothing fancy. Just a Joe Average buildout.
What is a ballpark budget to convert the dirt to pool and finished back yard? $100k? Too high? Too low?

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
In Lake Havasu City, thinking of buying a new home with a bare dirt backyard. Yard roughly 35x70.
Want a 15x30 pool, hardscape, some desert plantings. Typical pool. Nothing fancy. Just a Joe Average buildout.
What is a ballpark budget to convert the dirt to pool and finished back yard? $100k? Too high? Too low?
We are also looking at a house and thinking the same... I'll tag along here

badgas

Reaction score
I would say $100K is too high. Do you want a Jacuzzi ? if so that will add $10K to the deal. Keep in mind only 10% ish of Havasu has natural gas so heating a spa will be a Propane tank or an electric heat pump.

Does the house already have block walls ? if not and you are going to build walls or retaining walls then it will add up.

A 15 x 30 pool with spa and good equiptment with some basic decking not stone decking could be had for 70K. Add another $10K for some soft scape/plants with irrigation lighting and gravel etc. $80K should be plenty.

You could also easily spend $200K but you said an "average joe build out" and "nothing fancy"

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Friends just completed their back yard. $80k for a nicely done pool spa travertine deck, two water falls and small Palm’s/plants (nothing I’ve 3 feet tall) as well as new rock.

badgas

Reaction score
Also if you want an RV garage and a pool you will better off finding a house with a Garage and adding a pool than the opposite. Listings will say " Room for future RV garage " keep in mind people are getting quoted $120-$150K for garage additions.

badgas

Reaction score
Friends just completed their back yard. $80k for a nicely done pool spa travertine deck, two water falls and small Palm’s/plants (nothing I’ve 3 feet tall) as well as new rock.

Curious how long it took ?

Neighbor behind me had his done in about 8 weeks with no jacuzzi ( March+April )

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My buddy just did this himself he hired and scheduled all of the subs. He was a bit over 50k

This is Apple Valley pricing.

Block wall was already there but the planter wall was not. He had to demo grass out and remove a bunch of dirt

914F573B-E30E-4BC0-BFFD-A6E87CFEEB0A.jpeg
CDAB04F1-1CBA-4200-AFF8-B0B1456865B0.jpeg
C5FD3F5B-EEB0-46CF-8C48-E16651A6BCE5.jpeg

yz450mm

Reaction score

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I would say $100K is too high. Do you want a Jacuzzi ? if so that will add $10K to the deal. Keep in mind only 10% ish of Havasu has natural gas so heating a spa will be a Propane tank or an electric heat pump.

Even if you have NG the pool heater will make that needle spin like the wheel of fortune. We use more gas in 7 days in havasu to heat the pool than I use in 3 months for heat/cooking/waterheater in TX. Something to keep in mind.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Area I'm looking has NG, I'd put in the heater on the pool. And I'd do an above ground electric hot tub.
I have a heater on pool with built-in spa in Gilbert and rarely use the heater but it's nice to have.

Groper

Reaction score
My neighbor just had one finished a small pool & Spa it took several months to complete and was over $70k, he also had a concrete slab poured behind his Garage and a long the side yard all the way to the street.
Just the wait for the additional Concrete was 2 months 😫

FishSniper

Reaction score
We just finished something very similar to what you are asking about. I’ll send u a pm but we were well under 100k.
D205FCAB-F279-4EDB-B7DF-52E774F9CE95.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My neighbor is having one started in June and for very basic with him doing to decking and other stuff he is at 35k.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For a nice backyard I would say 75-100 depending on how crazy ya want to get..

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Our pool was 118k, it’s pretty pimped out with pop ups and a negative edge spa which are $20,000 in upgrades, led fire pots, led colored sheer decents, glow in the dark tile etc. Dugit in October, we get water next week.

Block walls and wrought iron and gates was $19,000.

Our builder is not quoting any new builds until pricing stabilizes, they are booked to February 22 with they’re existing contracts. Our pool was quoted in July last year, started in October. Materials prices have gone up so much since July that a good chunk of the profit margin is gone. Owner was at the house today and said he would add $25,000 to the quote if he was quoting it today. So I said to him well I guess you should have gotten it done faster.

Last edited:

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Our pool was 118k, it’s pretty pimped out with pop ups and a negative edge spa which are $20,000 in upgrades, led fire pots, led colored sheer decents, glow in the dark tile etc. Dugit in October, we get water next week.

Our builder is not quoting any new builds until pricing stabilizes, they are booked to February 22 with they’re existing contracts. Our pool was quoted in July last year, started in October. Materials prices have gone up so much since July that a good chunk of the profit margin is gone. Owner was at the house today and said he would add $25,000 to the quote if he was quoting it today. So I said to him well I guess you should have gotten it done faster.
Pics?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Curious how long it took ?

Neighbor behind me had his done in about 8 weeks with no jacuzzi ( March+April )

They started the dig in Oct and finished in March. They said that it would take 3 months but obviously they didn't make that.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Walt. do the pop ups actually work? I was going to put them in my pool, instead I just bought a robotic pool cleaner.

Post up the finished pool, looks great.

boatpi

Reaction score
I had one of those bubble pool covers on a reel at my old Havasu house. I could get another two months of warm pool use out of it without a heater. It heated with direct sunlight on it 4-6 degrees by 2Pm everyday.

FishSniper

Reaction score

We were on a similar timeline left deposit last July dig started in November and finished up early February. Have a couple friends looking to get pools done up there now and was wondering how backed up and how much prices would have jumped with the supply prices increase. Glad we got it done when we did.

calkid

Reaction score
Also if you want an RV garage and a pool you will better off finding a house with a Garage and adding a pool than the opposite. Listings will say " Room for future RV garage " keep in mind people are getting quoted $120-$150K for garage additions.

Also something to keep in mind, just because there is "room to build an RV garage" doesn't mean you'll get to. In Havasu there are codes relating to who built to the center of an easement first, height restrictions, etc. Even if a neighbor has a 14' door on their garage doesn't mean you'll get one too. Anytime we are looking at property in Havasu, I call Lee at APL Surveying to verify we will be able to build what we want before purchase. Make this verification part of your purchase agreement, I have seen many "RV" garages with 12' tall doors. As stated above, an RV garage can be double the cost of a pool right now.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt. do the pop ups actually work? I was going to put them in my pool, instead I just bought a robotic pool cleaner.

Post up the finished pool, looks great.
If they are done correctly they work, ie they pop up and rotate 45 degrees each time and push the dirt towards the center drain. They are not perfect, you get some dirt spots, but we have a handheld rechargeable vacuum, I touch up the pool for a few minutes if need be every few days. Creepy robot things work great and cost a ton less but it’s just an eye sore thing for me when your designing a pool to be part of the architecture of the home. We have had pop ups in our last three pools here, I just can’t get myself to go back to the hose and robot route.

badgas

Reaction score
Also something to keep in mind, just because there is "room to build an RV garage" doesn't mean you'll get to. In Havasu there are codes relating to who built to the center of an easement first, height restrictions, etc. Even if a neighbor has a 14' door on their garage doesn't mean you'll get one too. Anytime we are looking at property in Havasu, I call Lee at APL Surveying to verify we will be able to build what we want before purchase. Make this verification part of your purchase agreement, I have seen many "RV" garages with 12' tall doors. As stated above, an RV garage can be double the cost of a pool right now.

Great advice

FCT

Reaction score
Sub it yourself if your capable of doing so and save a bunch of money. My Dad is in the middle of his and finishing it way faster and spending a fraction of the cost. My buddy and I dug last Saturday and yesterday he’s already through inspection and shotcrete is being done Monday. Moving right along! Pool is 25x30 with a spa.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I want to see these glow in the dark tiles and led descents

Socalx09

Reaction score
A simple 15x30 pool- Baja step with a table, travertine decking, glass tile cost us 38k last year. No heater. I’m not sure how much it would have cost to do it this year, so I’m very glad it was done last year. Landscaping is next whenever prices comes down, if it ever comes down lol. We have been trying to do it ourselves for now.
6AFA621E-616D-43B0-836F-AB40DF7725F5.jpeg
5327BD9A-5CE8-445B-B4D0-81AFDF6EC581.jpeg

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
Who did he use? I'm in AV too, thinking about doing a pool over the winter.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I’m in Apple Valley also. Just finished everything in April this year. We ripped out front and back yard and started over. We are at about $65 for the pool and all the landscaping front and back. I did all the landscaping myself after pool was finished to save money.
886789E8-6F7A-4B43-84A9-231AD9D1CA67.jpeg
B4733407-EECD-488C-958A-5131CC1D1F43.jpeg
B12E37ED-BED9-47A0-B6F8-D10CFF0D04A6.jpeg

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If it’s just a simple design 15x30 your probably ballpark $44K-$50K without landscaping depending on which company you go with. Personally I would just hire out a landscaper myself instead of paying the pool companies 30% markup to hire the same guy, lol.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally into our new Havasu house, furnished and such and ready to find a turn key design/build for the pool and backyard which will need block walls and retaining walls, landscape, bbq/sink built-in under existing patio. I have a $200k cash budget for this (but ok spending less!). I don't mind waiting in queue to get it done.

Probably going to be nicer than what I originally imagined (thus the larger budget I carved out). Who should I try to get to do this? Will I need to commit to a cost plus contract to find a good contractor willing to do it? I do not have time or skills to manage such a project myself so need a contractor who can be trusted to execute.
Who are the top 3 in Havasu for this? I'm ready to get in line now.

Reactions: Wmc

DLC

Reaction score
As I understand pool builds in havasu they take about 9-12 months to plan - dig -water, they are so backed up with work.

I have heard you can contract w/ a consultant and things move a little faster.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
As I understand pool builds in havasu they take about 9-12 months to plan - dig -water, they are so backed up with work.

I have heard you can contract w/ a consultant and things move a little faster.
Last I checked with our builder sandcastle they were not even taking new jobs, they were booked out two years and had no idea how to quote jobs now since materials costs have skyrocketed.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
We where at 78k
Stone deck and walls
Just didn’t sign yet , advantage pool sales guy pissed off my wife .

USCFAN

Former Shitbox Owner...
Reaction score
If you want somebody to show up and get it done yes 100 K is what you’re going to pay it’s going to take you about a year and a whole lot of excuses and it will be done good luck! Also cash is a great mod motivater.
This about sums it up…

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Ok so I'm finally into our new Havasu house, furnished and such and ready to find a turn key design/build for the pool and backyard which will need block walls and retaining walls, landscape, bbq/sink built-in under existing patio. I have a $200k cash budget for this (but ok spending less!). I don't mind waiting in queue to get it done.

Probably going to be nicer than what I originally imagined (thus the larger budget I carved out). Who should I try to get to do this? Will I need to commit to a cost plus contract to find a good contractor willing to do it? I do not have time or skills to manage such a project myself so need a contractor who can be trusted to execute.
Mohave Pools. I'm building now. They started a month early and I'm happy so far.
Stay away from desert storm.
Sandcastle will take forever .
Screenshot_20211027-192722_OneDrive.jpg
20211217_093555.jpg

Good Stuff

Reaction score

I was more than happy with Code Blue Pools. Robert (909) 728-6422 He isn’t the guy who will call you constantly but will call you back or answer every time you reach out and update you any time you ask him to.

We started reaching out to companies in May. Set an appointment for a mid November consultation with Sandcastle with them saying they wouldn’t even try to build until February (they never reached out or made their appointment even though our pool was finished by then). Never got a call back from Desert Storm even though I spoke with the office person twice. Talked with @RichieRich and called Code Blue who was finishing up his pool.

Got renderings and $70k quote for 15x30 pool and 6x8 hot tub with 800sqft travertine decking. With a $1k deposit on Memorial Day he set a planned start of August. Didn’t even cash the check until after they finished the dig and the first 1/4 was due. Finished it up end of November with extras of full automation, crane to lift equipment needed due to walls and grade differences between properties, rod iron style fence panels on 90’ of wall to meet 5’ height, 1000sqft of travertine, and two 100gal propane tanks installed for a grand total just under $78k. I’ve got a thread where I documented my milestones along the way.

Even let me use a mini bobcat for 2 days to grade and get 20 tons of gravel into the yard to do my landscaping. I just couldn’t bring myself to pay for a landscaper.