WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Banks Big Hoss Bundle for 6.0 Deisel ?

hulihan

Reaction score
I was looking at this set up and am wondering if anyone has any imput good or bad, it is suppose to increase airflow and keep the engine cooler , just looking at this set up and the Bullet Prof set up, one is very pricy and probally great and the other is not as pricy :)

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I was looking at this set up and am wondering if anyone has any imput good or bad, it is suppose to increase airflow and keep the engine cooler , just looking at this set up and the Bullet Prof set up, one is very pricy and probally great and the other is not as pricy :)
I had it on my 6.0 and had no problems with it. It made big power and Banks has the controls to keep from frying your engine. I just ordered it for my 6.4.

Try Autoanything.com for pricing. They usually have a 15% off coupon and free shipping. The Big Hoss isn't cheap so the 15% off and free shipping really helps.

Last edited:

welldigger00

Reaction score
I put it on my 6.0 in a 550 dually. I did the big hoss bundle, six gun tuner, intercooler, exhaust, etc. It makes way more power than stock. And, as a bonus, it helps you find out all of the engineering problems from ford that much faster. If you go this route, be prepared to take it to diesel tech soon after to get new heads and head bolts. Oh yea, an EGR, and oil cooler too. Do yourself a HUGE favor, and avoid it. Take your money to diesel tech first, and get those above mentioned upgrades first. Trust me, I have been down this road.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Blubyu

Reaction score
If u want the big hoss. Pm me. I'm a banks dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hulihan

Reaction score
I am waiting for the guy from around here to get back to me with a price for the bullet proof everything, EGR, Oil cooler and coolant set up etc, the whole bang, I am guessing he will give me a quote of around 8,000 installed or more, for the banks I was quoted 4400 installed , I am really after the bullet proof set up, but it seems so pricy, as of now the truck temp oil and trans and engine is perfect, on a hot day in Los Angeles the BP scan guage reads max 204 engine temp and max so far for oil temp is around 212 and trans temp about 160 or so and that is me trying to see if it gets really hot, to be honest, the guy at Bullet Proof told me it sounds perfect and to just drive it and enjoy, it is a 2006 F350 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 with 90,000 and always dealer serviced and never any issues ! I have done a ton of reading and none of the issues so far that may or may not appear have showed their face yet, the coolant reservoir after hard LA traffic driving and really hot outside stays the same and the oil was just changed, it does have a minute oil leak coming from the pan gasket, but it is a drop from time to time, and I drive it everyday for part of the day then switch trucks.

welldigger00

Reaction score
You will find that you will use about a 1/2 gallon of coolent when towing. This is when it begins. Then, it will start to run hot pulling a grade. If you dont believe me, go on power stroke army, or ford diesel truck forum. Everyone on there will tell you about the 6.0, and putting a tuner on them. Good luck, maybe I'm just bitter, I've been riding these stupid fords into the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hulihan

Reaction score
I believe you, I am leaning towards the Bullet Proof full shabang ! As I will tow and tow and tow :)

I towed our boat home yesterday and the polaris in the pick up bed of the chevy for Parker, even on the downhill to desert center my MPG dropped way down, so I want to get the ford ready to haul back and forth and the wife wants it perrfect before she will let me take her in it up to the river, and we go a lot during the winter to play :) so either get the Ford set up or leave her home :) or take the chevy, but .....................

You will find that you will use about a 1/2 gallon of coolent when towing. This is when it begins. Then, it will start to run hot pulling a grade. If you dont believe me, go on power stroke army, or ford diesel truck forum. Everyone on there will tell you about the 6.0, and putting a tuner on them. Good luck, maybe I'm just bitter, I've been riding these stupid fords into the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

welldigger00

Reaction score
I put bullit proof on my truck, and other than them having to redo the head gaskets after three thousand miles , do to a bad batch of gaskets, it seemed to run good. The egr cooler and oil cooler is an absolute must. It is WAY better than stock. If you do these things alone, and keep the egt's down, you might get some mileage out f it before you stretch the head bolts. Keep a sharp eye on the DEGAS bottle, use a sharpee and mark the level of coolent. If it starts using a 1/2 gallon or more during a heavy tow, you're fuct.
Mine started doing that , and then running warm. It cost $8000 bucks to fix, and then I took the tune out of it and ran stock tune, and crossed my fingers every time I pulled the trailer from then on out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDmine

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I am waiting for the guy from around here to get back to me with a price for the bullet proof everything, EGR, Oil cooler and coolant set up etc, the whole bang, I am guessing he will give me a quote of around 8,000 installed or more, for the banks I was quoted 4400 installed , I am really after the bullet proof set up, but it seems so pricy, as of now the truck temp oil and trans and engine is perfect, on a hot day in Los Angeles the BP scan guage reads max 204 engine temp and max so far for oil temp is around 212 and trans temp about 160 or so and that is me trying to see if it gets really hot, to be honest, the guy at Bullet Proof told me it sounds perfect and to just drive it and enjoy, it is a 2006 F350 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 with 90,000 and always dealer serviced and never any issues ! I have done a ton of reading and none of the issues so far that may or may not appear have showed their face yet, the coolant reservoir after hard LA traffic driving and really hot outside stays the same and the oil was just changed, it does have a minute oil leak coming from the pan gasket, but it is a drop from time to time, and I drive it everyday for part of the day then switch trucks.

My bone stock 04' 6.0 ran flawless until 104k. Then it was head gaskets and new turbo. If you are not already running C-Tane booster start doing so everyfill up. Flush your radiator fluid per factory recommendations. Check your radiator cap and make sure you have the cap with the wide button on the bottom (quarter size or larger). The bullet proof set up replaces the factory defective parts that FORD knows are bad but won't recall. Like others have said, if you put on the banks kit, or really any other programmer, save about 8 grand to rebuild the rest of the engine shortly after:thumbsdown

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Any of you guys send your oil in for analysis? Blackstone Labs will do it for about $25, it's worth it. I've done it on both my 6.0 and 6.4 since they were new. Tells you how the engine is wearing and if there is any fuel or coolant in your oil. Lets you get ahead of the problem before it becomes a problem.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I'll post up one of my reports so you can see the detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hulihan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, the guyt never called, so will call today and see what he says as far as Bullet Prof set up, plan on keeping the truck, so want ti to be dependable, so far so good !

hulihan

Reaction score
I am dropping the truck off Sat to have the Bullet proof set installed, the first company does not seem interested to much, so I called a different on that Bullet proff says is an installer and he knew his shit, so he get the bizz ! about a 40 mile drive, but Sat morning should be easy, and pick it up the following Sat , will keep posted on how it turns out !

NicPaus

Reaction score
Let me know much and how it turns out Hulihan. Have a 6.0 broke down in my driveway with 93,000 miles. Think its the HPOP going out. If they go that far might as well do the bulletproof kit. Last river trip it lost a water pump and is to the point where I dont want to be stranded on Rice Road. As of now it has never failed to get me home had to tow it with the Chevy twice while Brother broke down (Computer and current issue) luckily just a few miles.

As far as tuners go I would not tune the ford but tune the Chevy. Almost every Duramax I know of is tuned and have not seen any issues. Mine was lifted and tuned with 2000 miles never an issue. As for the Ford after the bulletproof kit is done ask them what tune and what they think. 6.0's are notorious for lifting heads when tuned without the head studs being done which is part of the bulletproof kit. I have seen 1 tuner take out 3 6.0's each one they put it in lasted 10-15,000 miles before 6-12K worth of work had to be done. The few I know running around with bulletproof and highly tuned no issues. If we keep the Ford and do the Bulletproof kit I will still leave it stock tune. It tows my Cat skid up to PV no problem so power is not an issue.

hulihan

Reaction score
I will keep you posted, he advised not tuning if I am not towing a big 5th wheel trailer and they seem to know there stuff, I will post after we drop off the truck and tell you what I think ! Good see you as always ! We will be back in a few weeks and up for Thanksgiving :)

hulihan

Reaction score
Dropping it off today for the Bullet Proof set up :) Happy it is getting done, bummed to have to spend so much, but will be worth every penny !

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Dropping it off today for the Bullet Proof set up :) Happy it is getting done, bummed to have to spend so much, but will be worth every penny !

Did you go with the full set up & how much is it costing you. I have a 6.0L and have been thinking about getting the Bulletproof set up.

hulihan

Reaction score
They called today, and I have the 06 F350 and the power steering is in the way of the oil cooler, so have to get a different power steering set up, but he said they did a compression check and everything is solid, Head gaskets etc, should be done on Friday, complete engine oil cooler, EGR and all that stuff with the different power steering set up, 3800.00 installed I know everything he got from Bulletproof was about 2600.00 I think it is fair, as long as it works perfect, and he seems to know his stuff !

Gone_Flat

Reaction score
just my.02.05 f-250 full banks big hoss bundle straight exhaust lifted geared and mainly my tow vehichle . ford supposubly fixed head gaskets shortly after i installed banks ,fast forward a few years not that many miles . leaving in a few days to lake and passenger side head was raining coolant . friend of mine part owner at LEFT COAST DIESEL .
took truck to his shop and they told me ford did not change your gaskets they only put your arp head bolts in and torqued the shit out of them so 6k later left coast changed head gaskets bullet proof diesel egr cooler ,hpop and fuel pump and now i can tow my boat up a huge grade now without the sweaty palms i used to have when i towed !!!!
i believe if you go to a reputable diesel mech and have ALL the 6.0 problems addressed first you could actually have a reliable truck !!!JUST MY .02 TUNNEL T