WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BARN FIND - 24' Spectra / Sanger

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
A buddy of mine picked up a 1985 24' "Spectra" I/O from the original owner who bought it new. I guess Spectra had thown in the towel before 85, and the HIN may actually come us as a Sanger, or so the owner's story goes. At any rate - it has a TRS / Velvet Drive and a 454 sporting what appears to be vintage LS6 GM top end components, at least the heads and GM intake are. Boat hasn't ran in like 20 years, been sitting in storage. Gel is mint, interior is original and looking decent.

So.....the boat has a titled CA trailer with reg, but the boat is AZ registered and has no title. Owner only ran it in Havasu and AZ waters, but towed it to and from home in CA. Boat has no title.
Anybody dealt with this, how does he get a CA title issued? Is the owner's bill of sale and copy of the old AZ reg sufficient? Im assuming a DMV inspection / HIN verification will be needed at a minimum.

I told him he should just go to Kingman and re-up the AZ non-resident tags in his name, but then we got to thinking - is a title required to do that?

What. Say. Ye. ?
C9580E56-666F-40BF-A3DE-C0FF5A62038A.jpeg
254983FF-0E19-4BBE-A17F-977ACF98B36F.jpeg
7F7488D0-EBB6-4076-84B0-960872F5DBA9.jpeg
769E44B8-908A-49CD-8714-F0ED1B1A6A2A.png

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Love the wood grain , I had a 1980 , looked exactly like that one . Spectra did fold in 1980 . I don’t know where the molds went to

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
WTF is the deal with the trailer?

Boat looks awesome 👌

That's what I said!

The guy had it modified to carry a pair of stand-up ski's, one on either side. There was some kind of rack that was removable and it he would tuck the ski's under the hull when he was trailering

boatpi

Reaction score
Almost easier and will probably cost them less in California to keep it registered because of the out-of-state Arizona taxes. Get a hin verification for the boat any peace officer can do it fill out a bill of sale and a statement of facts that the title was lost from the current owner make sure the value is not too high like let’s say 4000 in the last it’s considered a low value vehicle/boat. There’s a very good chance it will pass the muster and be registered that way. when title issued should be about $45 for two years your county luxury tax will be very low if you even get a bill at all because of the age and the value.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Almost easier and will probably cost them less in California to keep it registered because of the out-of-state Arizona taxes. Get a hin verification for the boat any peace officer can do it fill out a bill of sale and a statement of facts that the title was lost from the current owner make sure the value is not too high like let’s say 4000 in the last it’s considered a low value vehicle/boat. There’s a very good chance it will pass the muster and be registered that way. when title issued should be about $45 for two years your county luxury tax will be very low if you even get a bill at all because of the age and the value.

Thanks for the tips. Are you referring to the non-resident fee that AZ will charge, or is there some sort of "back tax" for unpaid reg? I know there isn't sales tax on used AZ purchases, but CA definitely will want their share if registered here

boatpi

Reaction score
Does the other title for the trailer looks like it might be a trailrite.

boatpi

Reaction score
If it’s been under us for that long has no back fees he just pay sales tax and the sales price whatever you put down on the document in California. Same for the trailer if it has been registered more than five or six years is completely off the automated file you’ll be starting an entirely new record. You’re not talking much money either way whatever works for him. I doubt if they’re gonna want a bond for this due to low value. If you have a picture of the hin post it

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If it’s been under us for that long has no back fees he just pay sales tax and the sales price whatever you put down on the document in California. Same for the trailer if it has been registered more than five or six years is completely off the automated file you’ll be starting an entirely new record. You’re not talking much money either way whatever works for him. I doubt if they’re gonna want a bond for this due to low value. If you have a picture of the hin post it

Here ya go
09DEB521-0CED-43DF-9618-889CB4A89EBF.jpeg

Feelin Nauti

Reaction score
Boats in AZ do not get a title like Ca, the registration is your title and you just sign the back of the registration to sell the boat along with AZ fish and game form 678-WC-4.5-WATERCRAFT-BILL-OF-SALE. Trailers are not titled in AZ unless the are over 10k GVWR and for commercial use.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I have a 1976 spectra 24 and the trailer is a fotographics…
…I’m not 100% sure but I think when Spectra folded…the molds first went to Sanger and then to Howard???…
… update the molds never went to Howard they’re still at Sanger…

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
… I have a 1976 spectra 24 and the trailer is a fotographics…
…I’m not 100% sure but I think when Spectra folded…the molds first went to Sanger and then to Howard???…
This trailer says it is a 1984 CSTRL according to the CA reg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Boat was purchased from Dennis Platt, he frequented Needles. Anybody know him? He's probably 80 or so. He and his wife loved this boat, nice people.

Dennis was a contractor in the SFV, did a lot of the Victorian house salvage / construction that are used as office buildings, which you can see from the 101 freeway, among others. Dennis also put a 150 shot of NOS on this boat....it's still installed :cool: . He said the kids used to giggle when he hit the button

Last edited:

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Looks like the az registration sticker is from 92. After 5 years of not being registered in az, it won’t be in game and fish data base. Take it to game and fish. Register it in the new owners name, they will fill it out and can fill out any make for the boat at this point. Then transfer to ca if you want. I did this with my last 2 flats. Pretty easy

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…I just talked to Fred Thompson who lives in Havasu …when spectra folded the molds and two decks were bought by Fred from Jim Sullivan of Spectra and then Fred sold them to Jack Davidson at Sanger…Fred got a 24 hull from Jack in the deal and this is probably that boat???…Fred said the boat then went to Dennis Platt…
…Because of the hin number probably be best to register it as a Sanger???…

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Back in the day when you could run an az boat on a ca trailer.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
…I just talked to Fred Thompson who lives in Havasu …when spectra folded the molds and two decks were bought by Fred from Jim Sullivan of Spectra and then Fred sold them to Jack Davidson at Sanger…Fred got a 24 hull from Jack in the deal and this is probably that boat???…Fred said the boat then went to Dennis Platt…
…Because of the hin number probably be best to register it as a Sanger???…
Very cool info, thanks!

Your ad here

Reaction score
Boats in AZ do not get a title like Ca, the registration is your title and you just sign the back of the registration to sell the boat along with AZ fish and game form 678-WC-4.5-WATERCRAFT-BILL-OF-SALE. Trailers are not titled in AZ unless the are over 10k GVWR and for commercial use.
Trailers need to be registered and titled in Az. I have titled a 5x8 with 2999 gvwr, a 3500lb. Multiquip trailer, and the Ellis trailer my boat is on.

boatpi

Reaction score
This is in fact a Sanger as noted above. Register as a Sanger. Made in April of 1984. A real classic keeper. The trailer may or may not have a 17 digit VIN, likely a 17. Due to the low value, it is not very difficult to register both in CA, or AZ for that matter. Worth the effort.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Trailers need to be registered and titled in Az. I have titled a 5x8 with 2999 gvwr, a 3500lb. Multiquip trailer, and the Ellis trailer my boat is on.

Trailers are registered with titles in AZ... I have 3 boat trailers and a utility trailer titled and registered in AZ. You can get permanent tags in AZ for trailers that are pretty cheap.

2Driver

Reaction score
Looks like the az registration sticker is from 92. After 5 years of not being registered in az, it won’t be in game and fish data base. Take it to game and fish. Register it in the new owners name, they will fill it out and can fill out any make for the boat at this point. Then transfer to ca if you want. I did this with my last 2 flats. Pretty easy

Yes, AZ has no titles on boats. Your yearly registration is all you get.

boatpi

Reaction score
Owners that tow their boat back to CA, as CA residents need to have CA registration on the trailer. And I believe it is less money, very inexpensive on the trailer.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
When I bought my boat it had AZ reg and CA trailer. Was this a common thing? What was the point?
Mine too. Back in the day reg was like 35$ or something. Avoid the tax. But had to be a ca trailer in ca. But they got wise and started ticketing for it.

farmo83

Reaction score
Lifelong family friend said he had the last 24 ever built by Spectra. Bought it in 80 and took delivery in 81. He said they had to argue with them to build it, also a friend of his went in with him so they got 2, only reason they would build them.

I saw the invoice for it a few years ago. For the blank and a tri axle Ellis trailer was I believe 6400 dollars.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Boat is going to Menace Marine in a few weeks for full service and fuel system clean out / carb rebuild.

Cross your fingers that the motor is healthy and didn't stick a ring from any moisture or general storage over 20 years!

Such a cool boat, can't wait to mess with it

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
For the 739th time, IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO HAVE AN ARIZONA REGISTERED BOAT ON A CALIFORNIA REGISTERED TRAILER!

Nobody gives a shit what is on a trailer. It could be a boat, a car, registered or unregistered, 750 pounds of dog shit, or anything else.

California, and most other states, only care about what is rolling on the ground. Every state wants their residents to register the vehicles (including trailers) that they own and roll on their roads, to be registered in their state. The only time you may get stopped is if you have a CA registered vehicle, towing a AZ registered boat on a AZ registered trailer. But if YOU are not the registered owner of the trailer, then it's no issue.

The boat, and where it's registered, has no effect whatsoever on the trailer or the vehicle towing it. Boat registration only matters when it is actually floating, and then it's where it is actually used (floating) for 51% of the time. Now your California County might want to check if you've paid the luxury taxes on that AZ registered boat, but that's a completely nother issue.

But nobody gets a ticket for having mismatched boat and trailer registrations, despite whatever your brother-in-law's cousin's hairdresser's boyfriend said.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ok I’ll back pedal on the ticket.
Ca taxes on were the property was kept. If you keep property in ca you pay tax on it.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Ahhh…..California, they drop the luxury tax on boats several years ago & transfer it to property tax…..f..k California with all their restrictions & taxes. Nice boat by the way, cool history & find.

boatpi

Reaction score
I would agree the fiberglass work is absolutely top-notch what happens is the wood grain and the clear robert tends to go sometimes so keep that out of the direct sunlight stored inside that but will be beautiful for another decade.

that’s a heavy boat any chop on Havasu it’s going to be great.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…Another thing Fred Thompson told me … I guess that if his memory serves him correctly…that when the boat was rigged the fuel tanks were outside the stringers under the floor and extended up into the cabin which seems kind of odd to me …and he does not think that they were fiberglass… if it does turn out it has fiberglass fuel tanks they’ve got to go… today’s pump gas will eat them up…

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
…Another thing Fred Thompson told me … I guess that if his memory serves him correctly…that when the boat was rigged the fuel tanks were outside the stringers under the floor and extended up into the cabin which seems kind of odd to me …and he does not think that they were fiberglass… if it does turn out it has fiberglass fuel tanks they’ve got to go… today’s pump gas will eat them up…
So Fred remembers this particular boat from 84? Pretty awesome if so. I'll have my buddy check tank location. I think he said they are aluminum

OC Mike

Reaction score
I inquired today with the OC tax collector today.
1.1% of boat value is the property tax amount.
Plus sales tax at registratiion.

I have an AZ non-resident, I think it's 349.00, or close..

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
No property tax if under $2500. Boat is separate from trailer for tax purposes.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
So Fred remembers this particular boat from 84? Pretty awesome if so. I'll have my buddy check tank location. I think he said they are aluminum
…Yes Fred remembers this particular boat… Fred ran spectra Marines retail store which was called Burbank Marine for a number of years..,Had a lot to do with the interior design of the Spectra 24 and I think he said something about the bow rail on this particular boat???…I bought my Spectra 24 from Fred…His father had purchased my boat new from spectra in 1976…Fred is a walking encyclopedia of spectra marine and also of Campbell boats …I am pretty sure he still has his spectra 32 and his spectra 20

OC Mike

Reaction score
There was a time when I thought of the Glassed in wood as dated and old looking.
Now I look at the Glassed in wood as dated and COOL..
Looks like a fun boat...:cool::cool:

Supercup

Reaction score
When I bought my boat it had AZ reg and CA trailer. Was this a common thing? What was the point?

Calif title on trailer - reg for trailer is $10 for 10 years on permanent trailer plate. So live in CA register trailer in CA - but register boat in AZ - as non resident reg. is cheaper that CA - so best of both. Plus no hassle from CHP when towing in CA. Although I did have them ask me why boat was registered in AZ once.