WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

barn find- Gary Steele's hallett???

N of the rvr

Reaction score
A freind of mine calls me today and ask if i would be interested in Steeles old Hallett race boat. I went and looked at it, in an old shop under a cover with about an inch of dust on it. My friend said it hasn't seen the day light since '88. I am going back to gets some pics. Maybe someone can help verify if this belonged to Gary and some history on it. I will post the photos tomorrow. thanks for any help.

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
What type hull is it?

I purchased and ran Mr. Mustard two owners after Gary sold it. It was a Hallett flat. It broke a prop shaft coupler on Lake Powell and, while we were kicking it in a family in a tuna boat zoomed by close enough to swamp and sink it. It's still at the bottom of Gunsite today!

As I recall, Gary ran some flats (Mr. Mustard/Mutha Mustard, etc.) but also ran some Schiada 21' RCs then when Hallett built the Vector to compete in the ski race arena, he ran them for ski race competition. I can still remember coming in from a morning of skiing w/'the kids and seeing Gary and Jimmy Anderson at the dock fine tuning some things on a TT BBC Hallett Vector that had just been rigged by Jimmy.

Gary's equipment was all first class! IMHO!

N of the rvr

Reaction score
its not a vector, its older, looks like a 19 or 20. Its a v-drive,bbc,powerglide no back seat and the engine is set pretty far forward I'll put up some picks tomorrow

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
Did it still have race numbers of a name on it? Scotty would be able to ID it, I'm sure and he's here on the boards from time to time. Post the photos and I'll give him a call.

MrWarpath

Reaction score
if the boat was run in 87,88,89 it would have been a leg vector, white with red color on the cap.I know as i was the one sking behind the great man of steele from 1982 through 1990.......love to see some pictures

N of the rvr

Reaction score
it will be the first of next week before i can get back to take some pictures. But its not a vector.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
if the boat was run in 87,88,89 it would have been a leg vector, white with red color on the cap.I know as i was the one sking behind the great man of steele from 1982 through 1990.......love to see some pictures

Mike,
We had the vector for a few years with a small block and a bravo drive. Marty Leonard bought it around 97 or so, no idea where it is now. I'll bet this boat is the one that was on your 87 Worlds T-shirt? The v-drive 19 Hallett.

MrWarpath

Reaction score
The 19 we left in South Africa after the SA Games World Cup so I dont think its that one. That was What a Mutha so I am not sure what he has there maybe its Skip's boat ? 121............but I think Bob Mckenna has that one. I would love to see the pictures..........

N of the rvr

Reaction score
Got back in to take a better look at it today and had my kid take some pictures with his phone, I will post them later tonight. on the back of the boat is painted "BOOBIE TRAP"

N of the rvr

Reaction score
here they are
boobie trap3.jpg
boobie trap2.jpg
boobie trap1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ace one

Reaction score
That was not a Gary Steele boat, I would know because I rigged all of Gary Steele's boats through those years.................:D

That hull is what they called a Hallet Mini Cruiser or many people just called them tubs

Last edited:

N of the rvr

Reaction score
that was not a Gary Steel boat, I would know because I rigged his boat through those years.................:D

someone told me today that it may have belonged to Dick Seiler? If you rigged it it must have been a nor-cal boat? how did it handle and what do you think a fair price would be? the motor trany and v-drive were all gone through right before it was parked 20 some years ago

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
20 years sitting, they need to be gone thru again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

N of the rvr

Reaction score
20 years sitting, they need to be gone thru again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I knew that, but thought it might be a fun project after I get the 210 back togather. won't be long, now that islander got paul's schiada finished, mine should only be a couple more weeks

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 886
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 864

ace one

Reaction score
someone told me today that it may have belonged to Dick Seiler? If you rigged it it must have been a nor-cal boat? how did it handle and what do you think a fair price would be? the motor trany and v-drive were all gone through right before it was parked 20 some years ago

No, I did not say that I rigged that boat, Mike Avila might know who owned that boat but I would be just guessing...I was not living up here back then, I lived in Phoenix AZ.

THOF

Reaction score
Andy,
I think the boat was owned by Fred Steele of Nor-Cal. Way back. And I skied behind it a time or two. Mike will be along to tell us.

THOF

Reaction score
Been thinking. I think Steele's boat was #49. This one may have been #55. As I said, Mike will be along.

MrWarpath

Reaction score
That boat was Dick Sielers boat number 55 !! I won many races behind that boat at the circles in nor cal. The late great Byron Whipple also skied behind it and it was many time high point champion up there. The nipples were the water outlets and that in itself was cool. Dick is a great friend of mind and I will tell him you have his ride. That boat almost won the catalina race but the tanks were pulling to much from one side and it ran out of gas just outside the wall pulling Byron I think that was in 1981 or 2...............cool to see the old girl..........thanks for making me remember as those are wonderful thoughts..............great times and awesome lifetime friends.......

MrWarpath

Reaction score
Hey hey ,
not old.......i am just 53...I have just been at ski races for 51 straight years now and this makes 43 straight years or racing for me so I have just seen it all............:).......just not old....

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
If my memory is correct I think that Leane Steele's mother owned this boat back in the late 80's. I remember them having a Hallett with the name Boobie Trap at the Clear Lake marathons in 88 or so. They did not race it just had it up there to play with during the week between. Maybe this is how the name Steele is associated with this boat? I know they were not related to Gary, possibly to Fred but I do not know, never asked.

MrWarpath

Reaction score
The Boobie Trap you are thinking of was Dicks 19 hallett, the Steele's had it but they are not related to Gary or Fred I dont think. dick had an 18 ft Hallett named Boobie Trap,a Aqua Craft , a Riviera,a 18 Hallett mini and then the 19 Hallett all of them were Boobie Trap....

DickieB

Reaction score
I remember that as being Dick Seiler's boat from all the Nor Cal races. Funny, nice guy. Haven't seen any of those folks since we quit in the mid 80's. Those Nor Cal Championships at Clear Lake were fun times!

BillyinKH

Reaction score
I own Gary Steele's Aquacraft named "Mustard Mutha." It was a Pacific Champion. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish rebuilding the engine to top performance condition until shortly after learning I was having my first child in later this year and now I have to sell it or get a slower boat with more than two seats.

Please post reply if you know anything about the Mustard Mutha or Gary Steele's race boats.

I am looking for someone that knows how special this boat is and might be interested in owning it. Happily, willing to consider trades.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
I own Gary Steele's Aquacraft named "Mustard Mutha." It was a Pacific Champion. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish rebuilding the engine to top performance condition until shortly after learning I was having my first child in later this year and now I have to sell it or get a slower boat with more than two seats.

Please post reply if you know anything about the Mustard Mutha or Gary Steele's race boats.

I am looking for someone that knows how special this boat is and might be interested in owning it. Happily, willing to consider trades.

I’m interested

Please pm me contact information

Thank you,
Brian

jbusaf

Reaction score
That boat was Fred Steele's boat, It's last race was a 50 Mile Lake Mead marathon as #555, (55 was already used by Mike Harrah to pull Kelly Dryden in Unblown Prop), for that race. I skied Mixed double's with my wife, Lian Steele, her Mother Sandy drove and Grandmother Ruth,(80+) observed, Mike Avila won as we were finishing Lap#1, i think we finished last but I will remember it forever!
JB

BTP

Reaction score
That was not a Gary Steele boat, I would know because I rigged all of Gary Steele's boats through those years.................:D

That hull is what they called a Hallet Mini Cruiser or many people just called them tubs
Did you rig boat 109? It was called the MUTHA HUFFA. It was a Gary Steele Hallett boat. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

N of the rvr

Reaction score
It was raced in the Parker Enduro last year and now lives in Needles and spends its time on the River and is owned by a great guy that takes good care of her.

Skifree

Reaction score
I am the new owner of Boobie Trap and its in very good hands. Honestly the boat looks great, plumbing and wiring are less great but im going through everything and its running n/a right now but thatll change. Shes gonna shine like she went back in time to the 80s