WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barn find

Husqy510

Reaction score
Just purchased this old drag car, which has sat in storage for nearly 40 years. I haven't dug into it yet, but obviously it has an old blower and Hilborn injection. Can't wait to get going on this project

Attachments

• 20220811_103205.jpg
    20220811_103205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
  • 55521 (1).jpeg
    55521 (1).jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 194

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Just purchased this old drag car, which has sat in storage for nearly 40 years. I haven't dug into it yet, but obviously it has an old blower and Hilborn injection. Can't wait to get going on this project
😍😍 and this is coming from a Ford guy. cant wait to see what you do with it!

Husqy510

Reaction score
I definitely love my Fords, but I have no intention of doing any crazy swaps. I also love gassers, but I plan to keep it true to it's roots with a blown sbc and low to the ground. If possible I'd like to keep the mechanical fuel injection but I'm not sure that's possible.

In the end I want a prostreet car I can drive to the local cars and coffee on the weekend.

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score
Does the car have a crankcase vent right next to the distributor if not it’s a 55 block if it does it’s a 56 or 57 block 265

Husqy510

Reaction score
Does the car have a crankcase vent right next to the distributor if not it’s a 55 block if it does it’s a 56 or 57 block 265
I'm fairly confident the motor is not original to the car. I haven't checked the numbers on the block but I can see it has double hump heads and head studs. That's actually why I posted in this section. I'm hoping to learn about the hilborn injection and come up with a plan for what to do moving forward. As mentioned above I'd love to keep the injection on the car, I'm just not sure it can work on the street.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
well if you end up taking it off....🙋lol

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I'm fairly confident the motor is not original to the car. I haven't checked the numbers on the block but I can see it has double hump heads and head studs. That's actually why I posted in this section. I'm hoping to learn about the hilborn injection and come up with a plan for what to do moving forward. As mentioned above I'd love to keep the injection on the car, I'm just not sure it can work on the street.
There's no way of running that injection setup on the street and have it be really "streetable"

Husqy510

Reaction score
There's no way of running that injection setup on the street and have it be really "streetable"
I have some experience with Enderle, but none with Hilborn, however I assumed it wouldn't be very streetable.

Since this car was an old racecar it has no firewall and no floor. It doesn't even have front brakes! The inside is all aluminum panels with an old school single hoop roll bar and one seat so it will never be a car well suited for long drives. I'd like to put a full cage front to back with two racing seats and healthy blown sbc, and front brakes of course.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have some experience with Enderle, but none with Hilborn, however I assumed it wouldn't be very streetable.

Since this car was an old racecar it has no firewall and no floor. It doesn't even have front brakes! The inside is all aluminum panels with an old school single hoop roll bar and one seat so it will never be a car well suited for long drives. I'd like to put a full cage front to back with two racing seats and healthy blown sbc, and front brakes of course.

Good luck sir. Gonna take cubic dollar squared to turn that into a pro street car!

Thanks for sharing. Gonna be a fun project to watch! 👍🏼

Husqy510

Reaction score
Good luck sir. Gonna take cubic dollar squared to turn that into a pro street car!

Thanks for sharing. Gonna be a fun project to watch! 👍🏼
I'm leaving the paint as is and keeping the aluminum interior. My brother is a decent fabricator so he'll do the cage and exhaust. I'll do a painless wiring kit, rebuild suspension and freshen up motor and trans.

No doubt I'll be sinking some money into it, but im not building a show car. I'm not even going to install driver and passenger glass. Just a rowdy car to take to Cars and coffee on the weekends.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Another Ford guy that likes your shoebox.
The first Hot Rod in my neighborhood when I was a kid was a 55 Orange shoe box.
Always thought it was cool. He graduated up to a Vette then a Porsche. Always liked his 55 the best. Later on a friend of mine had a 56 another a 57 Nomad. Needless to say, I have a soft spot for them. Brings back nice memories.
Looking forward to the progress.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The Hilborn is is just a 2 butterfly deal. Drivability may suffer compared to an upright 4 hole or even a crower 8. Interesting that it has 2 sets of injectors on it, one above the butterflys and one below. I was always told that gas set ups were under and alcohol setups were above? Id say that the butterfly size will dictate what size cubic inch motor this would run on. You can always add more than enough fuel but if you cant get enough air into the motor then you have reached its limits. Hilborn is still in business, check with them.

Awesome project!!!! Im following

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Super cool!

"Drivable" is totally dependent on "WHO" is driving it and what limits they set. I mean it has to get into the lane rofl...so it drives....

"Streetable" and "Safe" are going to take some work IMO. 😆