WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barrel racing

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I know there has to be some people here who are into it... my son keeps saying he wants to do it. I think he’s too young? It sounds expensive... who here does it? What kind of information can you give me. Don’t do it?? It can’t happen right away. The yard isn’t set up for horses yet. I guess that’s a whole other thread though.

SnoC653

Reaction score
Like any sport it can and will get expensive. Between having a place to keep (barn and pasture), feeding, hauling to play days and events, shoeing, taking to the vet, a suitable trailer, ect..... : a horse is not cheap. Factor in what starts as barrels could escalate to broncs or bulls and let your imagination run wild.

Barrels used to be strictly a girls sport and in some places still is, but more and more boys are doing it. Until you KNOW he will stick with it, start off with an all around horse that can also be used for barrels. Easier to get rid of if he doesn't stick with it. Also gives more uses for him to find out what he truly likes to do with a horse.

MrsVP

Reaction score
Horses can be expensive. Not going to lie, but the shit a kid can get into if they're bored is way more expensive.

When I got started, my parents took me to little gymkhanas and ETI shows. I rode my ancient QH that we got for free. It was a blast. I graduated to better horses over the years, honed my skills, got better trainers, figured out what I wanted to show and it snowballed from there.

My parents stuck with me as I grew in the "business", was nationally titled by ten, got a truck and 6 horse trailer for my 16th birthday, and I ended up showing professionally when I aged out of the youth division, until I got so burnt out that I walked away (started showing at 6). It doesn't take crazy expensive horses either, my most expensive was 40k and he was the worst one I'd ever had. I made wonders happen with the 5-10 range as long as they had heart and some try in them. You're a long way from that investment though!

Those open shows are a great place to get your feet wet. They give good prizes, the judges are helpful and most of the people are friendly. I'd start there.

It'll be the best teacher and friend your child will ever have. He'll work his ass off, be humbled, learn how to win gracefully and how to loose gracefully, all while having to care for his best friend.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Like any sport it can and will get expensive. Between having a place to keep (barn and pasture), feeding, hauling to play days and events, shoeing, taking to the vet, a suitable trailer, ect..... : a horse is not cheap. Factor in what starts as barrels could escalate to broncs or bulls and let your imagination run wild.

Barrels used to be strictly a girls sport and in some places still is, but more and more boys are doing it. Until you KNOW he will stick with it, start off with an all around horse that can also be used for barrels. Easier to get rid of if he doesn't stick with it. Also gives more uses for him to find out what he truly likes to do with a horse.
I always thought it was for girls too but I guess I’m learning it’s not? Bulls would be bad ass but I don’t think my wife wouldn’t let them do it. She doesn’t even really want them racing dirtbikes after watching me get wadded up. If they are into it I don’t want to hold them back. They need to help though because just what we have now is a ton of time and work.

MrsVP

Reaction score
I always thought it was for girls too but I guess I’m learning it’s not? Bulls would be bad ass but I don’t think my wife wouldn’t let them do it. She doesn’t even really want them racing dirtbikes after watching me get wadded up. If they are into it I don’t want to hold them back. They need to help though because just what we have now is a ton of time and work.
What city are you guys in? Might know some people to get you started in the right direction. Lessons would be the first place to start to see of it holds his interest before you invest.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What city are you guys in? Might know some people to get you started in the right direction. Lessons would be the first place to start to see of it holds his interest before you invest.
Norco. Would you need your own horse for lessons?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
My middle daughter did gymkhana before she got into soccer. Used a free pony our neighbor gave us. Did super good. Then an older lady fell and hit her head on the pipe corral. Went into cardiac arrest. Kind of cooled her jets and then she switched to soccer.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If I were you Vic, I'd try to get him some lessons. Not pro trainer stuff, more like a trial runs. A good barrel pony will pull a turn quicker than most are ready for. If he's screwed down good, let him practice and see if he keeps an interest. There's money in competing, but also money to stay competitive. I don't know his age, but they do "muttun bustin' " for the little ones. Like bronc riding on sheep. If he's older, get him a rope, and watch some videos. Out here we have a lot of weekend events, and a weekly weekday roping meet up. Lots of kids start pretty young, and some are really good.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If I were you Vic, I'd try to get him some lessons. Not pro trainer stuff, more like a trial runs. A good barrel pony will pull a turn quicker than most are ready for. If he's screwed down good, let him practice and see if he keeps an interest. There's money in competing, but also money to stay competitive. I don't know his age, but they do "muttun bustin' " for the little ones. Like bronc riding on sheep. If he's older, get him a rope, and watch some videos. Out here we have a lot of weekend events, and a weekly weekday roping meet up. Lots of kids start pretty young, and some are really good.
Older boy is 5 younger boy is 3. They are both interested. Of course it’s still really new to them too

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
We started with a lease horse. It was a great way to get into the game for our girls without the upfront investment. It allowed us to learn about the trainers and some of the expectations and time commitments without the stress of owning a horse. We were able to learn quite a bit just by hanging around knowledgeable people which helped us when we purchased our own, our trainer went with us for our purchase.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a horse (or horses) for recreation is one thing -- getting involved (and possibly serious) about competition is a totally different animal. Horse showing can, and probably will, escalate into a very expensive and time consuming activity. Norco is a great town to enjoy horses. Norco also has a couple of nearby arenas (Ingalls and McCoys) where local shows occur on a regular basis (very convenient). It is, however, an incredibly good activity for youngsters, and if they get hooked on it there's far less chance of them getting into mischief as they grow older.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Let him do it any kid that is interested in horses or farms pretty good chance he’s going to turn out to be a good kid keeps them off the street teachers them respect in importance of taking care of something

Spot

Reaction score
Do it Vic, it comes with the Norco life style. My oldest rides. Ton of life lessons learned riding a horse. He will also get into the social circles in town for school etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pixrthis

Reaction score
I know there has to be some people here who are into it... my son keeps saying he wants to do it. I think he’s too young? It sounds expensive... who here does it? What kind of information can you give me. Don’t do it?? It can’t happen right away. The yard isn’t set up for horses yet. I guess that’s a whole other thread though.
I have a daughter who’s been doin it for 10ish years and I don’t think we’ve spent that much more than our other daughters club, high school, and college soccer. The bigger events are priciey but there are lots of small local events with surprisingly good payouts or prizes. She started with gymkahnas before only going to barrel events and has since gone back to gymkahnas because she gets more rides in a day. I bought a used 2 horse aluminum trailer with a tack room that’s still worth what I paid for it ,which wasn’t much and can be pulled behind my truck or my wife’s Armada. She’s 21 with a great job and the cost of the horses is now on her and she handles it, I help feed when I want to because I like to spoil the ponies.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If you do this and get into it , sell all toys and river house....you will have no time or money left....

Not saying you dont make money , saying that it is very expensive to do it right ...

Also it's not a bad thing if that is what interest your kids.

I enjoyed having horses ...they are expensive even as a pet ..( for fun )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
If you want to ship him and his horse up my ranch ( cedar city Ut) My Wife / her trainer will give him some pointers he can ride to Reno if he wants to I’ll cover the feed / room and board he can help her for the summer we have a round pin and a arena good food little rest ( John Wayne ) :) here’s our back yard
C4D7FC0E-28F0-42E6-83BC-BD758624F548.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
If you do this and get into it , sell all toys and river house....you will have no time or money left....

Not saying you dont make money , saying that it is very expensive to do it right ...

Also it's not a bad thing if that is what interest your kids.

I enjoyed having horses ...they are expensive even as a pet ..( for fun )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It’s like collage but cowboy style;)

fmo24

Reaction score
If you want to ship him and his horse up my ranch ( cedar city Ut) My Wife / her trainer will give him some pointers he can ride to Reno if he wants to I’ll cover the feed / room and board he can help her for the summer we have a round pin and a arena good food little rest ( John Wayne ) :) here’s our back yard View attachment 778240
It sounds like he is s few years out from being any help to your wife. Think he is 5 yrs old

Daytona47

Reaction score
81DE68A1-9EEC-4C0E-B6BF-0D478D7E8185.jpeg
8EFD59A1-6A03-4180-998E-370652515782.jpeg
654E431D-C716-4C1C-8059-67298662E856.jpeg
My two step daughters are into it full blast...it’s all they talk about.They rodeo and do sorting on the weekends. We have a 5 acre ranch in agua Dulce but we are lucky my mother in law has 20 acres and full arenas where they practice. Some of these barrel horses run over a 100k.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
View attachment 778272 View attachment 778271 View attachment 778270 My two step daughters are into it full blast...it’s all they talk about.They rodeo and do sorting on the weekends. We have a 5 acre ranch in agua Dulce but we are lucky my mother in law has 20 acres and full arenas where they practice. Some of these barrel horses run over a 100k.

Agustin Dulce? Do you know Tony & Sandy Boggs? He’s a badass Team roper for Agua Dulce. We lived in Acton before we moved to Prescott Valley. I was a member of the Rusty Studs before we moved also.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Agustin Dulce? Do you know Tony & Sandy Boggs? He’s a badass Team roper for Agua Dulce. We lived in Acton before we moved to Prescott Valley. I was a member of the Rusty Studs before we moved also.
You coming to the bbq at robs?

C-2

Reaction score
My daughter grew up with horses. To her, they were work and not a novelty. She started riding at age 6 and then at age 7 ran barrels for short period of time. Then she lost interest. She was fearless, which scared the crap out of me, so her losing interest in the sport was fine by me.

You will never know how you and your family acclimate to a horse until you get one. Personally, I'm fearful of horses. Whenever I am around them, when I ride them, when my family rides them...it makes me nervous. My fear doesn't stop my from taking care of them, but they require respect 100% of the time. Get a horse or two and learn about them, because anything you do with horses will require you to be the person in charge.

On the costs, I've mentioned before we spend about $175 month on feed, hoof trimming every 2.5 to 3 months @$30.00 per horse, and misc meds/vaccines average out to about $250 per horse. Just realize, if your horse starts acting wonky, it's usually the equivalent of a small car accident. Again, learning about them will help reduce costs as you can usually take care of vaccinations, worming, colic flareups and the misc small cuts/bites/tears.

Remember too, horse people are like boaters - people are constantly entering and leaving the lifestyle. You can pick up used equipment on the cheap, horses too. Ingall's Park and Riverside Rancheros are plenty fine to get acquainted with riding barrels or roping. In fact, most horse people are friendly and a compliment and friendly introduction goes a long way and opens doors.

294616_263990513612276_3247400_n.jpg

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you really want to investigate this more thoroughly, and you live in Norco, my recommendation would to pay a visit to Jerry and Shelly Lunde -- they been training for decades (Jerry also shoes) -- they seem to accommodate the full spectrum of clients (serious to novices) -- they have lesson horses and/or perhaps a few horses available for lease -- they give lessons (individual and group) -- go to lots of local shows -- and best of all they are Norco local, at 3718 Corona Ave., 951-212-2237. Best of luck -- this might be a long journey.

j21black

Reaction score
My Daughter is in her first year of doing it. She seems to really enjoy it.

The cost of keeping the horses isn't terrible if you have good pasture grass for them to feed on. My guess we probably spend a couple grand a year keeping all 3 of them in good shape with the vet and taking care of their feet. We spend more money entering the events than we probably do on the horses themselves, but they have about 6 acres of good pasture grass. We go through about 4-5 rounds bails during the cooler months, and we only feed 2 of them with actual feed during the winter. Our newest horse gets feed daily, probably costs us $30/month.

Now having said that, it's a crap shoot on costs. One issue and the Vet bill could be very expensive. We've only had one issue in 3 years where we had to have the Vet come out after hours. I think it cost us about $300 bucks, but he was here for a couple hours.

She has qualified for World's next year, and it looks like she will win her division in the State this year. Has one more event left, and according to her, she can't be caught in the standings. She has leased this horse out for a year, after this season ends.

106A0581-447.JPG
106A0580-446.JPG

Now her new horse was an expensive proposition, but she paid for a majority of it herself. We had to lend her a little bit of money, but she will pay us back once the lease is paid for. She got the remainder of the money by selling horses and upgrading over the years. I am starting to consider attending some horse auctions, as there is money to be made. If you get a horse, my advice would be to make sure you get one with papers.

I'm not a horse person by any means, but I enjoy watching them in the pasture and feeding them treats. All I have to do is go to the fence and clap and they come running to me. Hearing them run at the same time is something I don't think I'll tire of.

I look at it as I really don't care what it costs as long as it doesn't put us in a financial burden. It keeps her outside doing things, as opposed to sitting in front of her TV or staring at her phone all day. That in itself makes it worth it.

Here is her newest horse and her bloodline. It's pretty cool. We will likely breed her in 3-4 years.

boo.jpg

boo2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: C-2

j21black

Reaction score
Make that new deck boat look like a bargain. Friend just bought a new horse trailer for competitions and truck to pull it $350K.

That's insane - But if I could afford that, I'd probably do it too. I did sell the F250 and talked the wife into an F450 because it will be nice towing the horse trailer and boat with it. That's all we really use it for anyway.

bocco

Reaction score
constantly amazes me that those horses can turn that tight and not blow out an ankle or knee.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My Daughter is in her first year of doing it. She seems to really enjoy it.

The cost of keeping the horses isn't terrible if you have good pasture grass for them to feed on. My guess we probably spend a couple grand a year keeping all 3 of them in good shape with the vet and taking care of their feet. We spend more money entering the events than we probably do on the horses themselves, but they have about 6 acres of good pasture grass. We go through about 4-5 rounds bails during the cooler months, and we only feed 2 of them with actual feed during the winter. Our newest horse gets feed daily, probably costs us $30/month.

Now having said that, it's a crap shoot on costs. One issue and the Vet bill could be very expensive. We've only had one issue in 3 years where we had to have the Vet come out after hours. I think it cost us about $300 bucks, but he was here for a couple hours.

She has qualified for World's next year, and it looks like she will win her division in the State this year. Has one more event left, and according to her, she can't be caught in the standings. She has leased this horse out for a year, after this season ends.

View attachment 778356 View attachment 778357

Now her new horse was an expensive proposition, but she paid for a majority of it herself. We had to lend her a little bit of money, but she will pay us back once the lease is paid for. She got the remainder of the money by selling horses and upgrading over the years. I am starting to consider attending some horse auctions, as there is money to be made. If you get a horse, my advice would be to make sure you get one with papers.

I'm not a horse person by any means, but I enjoy watching them in the pasture and feeding them treats. All I have to do is go to the fence and clap and they come running to me. Hearing them run at the same time is something I don't think I'll tire of.

I look at it as I really don't care what it costs as long as it doesn't put us in a financial burden. It keeps her outside doing things, as opposed to sitting in front of her TV or staring at her phone all day. That in itself makes it worth it.

Here is her newest horse and her bloodline. It's pretty cool. We will likely breed her in 3-4 years.

View attachment 778358

View attachment 778359
That’s what I’m looking for. Something to do with the boys outside, to keep them busy, and out of trouble. Of course I’m not rich but I’ll find a way to pay. I really think moving to Norco is one of the best things my wife and I have done. It’s crazy how much our lives have changed and for the better. I used to get home from work and sit on the couch. That was the rest of my night. Now I get home and it’s straight to the back yard for the animals. It’s not an option, they need me to live and especially with this heat. Yesterday I had all 3 boys by myself while my wife was at work. We got up and cleaned out the goats and chickens and I swept up the barn. We went and got ready for church and i took all 3 to church. Everyone commented on how well behaved they were and several dads said you’re nuts leaving the house by yourself w 3 kids. I won’t lie it made me feel good. Came back home and finished up the yards. Boys wanted to swim so we did. I got all the boys in bed by 730 and their mom got home at 8. When she got home I was sitting on the porch watering. She laughed and said what are you some old man? I said what do you mean? She said you don’t even watch tv anymore, you are non stop till 9pm then you sit on the porch by yourself before bed. I told her I’ve never felt more peaceful in all my life. I love the new life style it really makes me happy.
My wife was saving caterpillars Eli has been raising them. I think weve raised like 20 butterflies now.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Gonna have to start calling you hillbilly Vic! Lol! Very cool. Funny I grew up in the country life, couldn’t wait to get out and move to the city. The city was fun for awhile but then couldn’t wait to get back to the county life. May not be this way for everyone one but morals and life just seem better out in the country.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Gonna have to start calling you hillbilly Vic! Lol! Very cool. Funny I grew up in the country life, couldn’t wait to get out and move to the city. The city was fun for awhile but then couldn’t wait to get back to the county life. May not be this way for everyone one but morals and life just seem better out in the country.

"The best thing for the inside of a cowboy, is the outside of a horse"

-Winston Churchill

Dan'l

Vic- have you tried getting them up on skiis? You might already have some of the equipment. Once their hooked...

Skip to 1:10

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
"The best thing for the inside of a cowboy, is the outside of a horse"

-Winston Churchill

Dan'l

Vic- have you tried getting them up on skiis? You might already have some of the equipment. Once their hooked...

Skip to 1:10
If my wife is game I want to try it this week. I bought a few different types of trainer skis last year. If not I’ll try next weekend when my dad and brother are out. At least a tube or something

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I have been ridding off and on again in SoCal for 30 years and my best advise is do not jump in unless you and your wife want horses on your property.

I would do at least 6 months of twice a week lessons to make sure the kids are 100% in bedore you even buy a saddle much less a horse, trailer, truck, feed, tack, snowball, ect.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have been ridding off and on again in SoCal for 30 years and my best advise is do not jump in unless you and your wife want horses on your property.

I would do at least 6 months of twice a week lessons to make sure the kids are 100% in bedore you even buy a saddle much less a horse, trailer, truck, feed, tack, snowball, ect.
We are surrounded by horses. That’s helped because the neighbors are super super cool. We’ve got 2 on our left, 3 on our right and probably 6-8 behind us.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Norco is an amazing city. One of the very few proud to be american towns left in SoCal. My wife and I almost bought on Vandermolen until I made the drive to work in OC.

Norco will be easy to find lessons and you will have no rush in finding the right deals, especially the right horse. I currently have an older (23) mare and I have been looking for over 2 years for her replacement. I have time so I can be supper picky.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Norco is an amazing city. One of the very few proud to be american towns left in SoCal. My wife and I almost bought on Vandermolen until I made the drive to work in OC.

Norco will be easy to find lessons and you will have no rush in finding the right deals, especially the right horse. I currently have an older (23) mare and I have been looking for over 2 years for her replacement. I have time so I can be supper picky.
That’s another good thing. The neighbors watched me pay top dollar for my goats and chickens. They won’t do that again. They are going to make sure they walk us through everything. Norco really is a proud to be American city. I just commented on rd’s fb. Every neighbor has a legit flag pole with an American flag and a trump 2020 flag below it. I really love norco

DLC

Reaction score
I always thought it would be cool to rope, I bought 2 or 3 ropes and would go out in the back yard and try to rope a trash can. I should of got a saw horse and a 2x4 screwed to it for horns....

It is hard to do

C-2

Reaction score
Recently my neighbor suffered dementia after a surgery and he stopped feeding his horses. His daughters stepped in and we took the horses. He died two weeks ago, but we haven't heard anything about what to do wit the horses. Most likely we will adopt them out to pasture as one is an old Thoroughbred and the other is a manic Arabian.

They are not beginner horses, otherwise I would offer them to you for free, lol. But, those types of offers are out there, start networking with your neighbors and maybe check out Mike's Auction in Mira Loma.

S & D Horseback Riding on California/North does a lot of rental trail rides ( A LOT), they take everybody down to the river. That might be a good idea to see how your son likes it, and see if he is comfortable on a full size horse (it's a long way up for the little ones).

And oh yeah, see what I mean. That f*in Arabian bit my Palomino this morning; I think they hate each other. The fun never ends...

tumbalo small.JPG

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The neighbors horses are always messing with each other. Yesterday one kept biting and grabbing the other ones lip. It looked ugly. I’ll take a pic of them when I go out back. I’m trying to water everything before we leave. I say I spend a good hour a day watering plants and animals here

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
One of the neighbors just went by. Looks relaxing
5CB4CC51-48B8-4E24-8B17-B44131660023.jpeg

Reactions: C-2

Daytona47

Reaction score
481A835E-F316-4539-B1E6-0688E533557B.jpeg
59260F0C-0D16-472A-9471-66450E1A5B0D.jpeg
I always thought it would be cool to rope, I bought 2 or 3 ropes and would go out in the back yard and try to rope a trash can. I should of got a saw horse and a 2x4 screwed to it for horns....

It is hard to do
Stop by and try and rope my long horn

Attachments

• CD983EED-F040-45FB-8B50-5DFBDECF8AE4.jpeg
    CD983EED-F040-45FB-8B50-5DFBDECF8AE4.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 49