WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barreling fuel

hallett21

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. But could I go and pick up a few 50 gallon drums and fill them with fuel in havasu. The idea being that it would last 3-6 months back at home. Obviously would have to be ethanol free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. But could I go and pick up a few 50 gallon drums and fill them with fuel in Havasu. The idea being that it would last 3-6 months back at home. Obviously would have to be ethanol free.

Is the price difference really that great that it is worth the extra time, money, and effort? a 50 gallon drum filled with gas is gonna weigh in close to 350 each (300 for the fuel alone). You're going to have to get those out of the truck/trailer at home and store them somewhere somewhat safe for all of what..... $50/drum minus the price of the barrel itself and the increased fuel usage that you're going to lose transporting it? Plus, I know you can only transport so much before needing all kinds of other requirements.

Rye

Reaction score
If you do make sure they are vented.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is the price difference really that great that it is worth the extra time, money, and effort? a 50 gallon drum filled with gas is gonna weigh in close to 350 each (300 for the fuel alone). You're going to have to get those out of the truck/trailer at home and store them somewhere somewhat safe for all of what..... $50/drum minus the price of the barrel itself and the increased fuel usage that you're going to lose transporting it? Plus, I know you can only transport so much before needing all kinds of other requirements.

Depends how high gas goes lol. I can fit 4 in my 3500. Have a forklift I can use at the shop.

Probably won’t pencil. Just trying to hedge the up coming fuel prices lol.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
VP just drops drums off. Or they used to. Same thing but self serve. Might get drums from someone. I used to go to the airport for my bikes and it would store for a long time.

Wasn’t Me

Reaction score
NO.... 100% NO.... Bad... Very bad... Would not recommend...!!!

The dollars you might save are not worth it.. Not to mention your legally not even allowed to transport hundreds of gallons of fuel with out the proper equipment or permits.!

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
NO.... 100% NO.... Bad... Very bad... Would not recommend...!!!

The dollars you might save are not worth it.. Not to mention your legally not even allowed to transport hundred of gallons of fuel with out the proper equipment or permits.!

Looks like CA let’s you take 2 55s or under 999lbs of fuel with no CDL.

Does water work its way into the drums?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. But could I go and pick up a few 50 gallon drums and fill them with fuel in havasu. The idea being that it would last 3-6 months back at home. Obviously would have to be ethanol free.

Campbell's gas is only like 50-60 cents cheaper per gallon than here. It is close to the most expensive in town. So if you filled (4) 55 gallon drums (220 gallons), it would save you $100-$120, and you have to deal with 220 gallons of gas.

I buy at Smiths, Loves or Pilot, and it is close to $1 cheaper than home and I'm saving ~$30 on a 30-32 gallon fill up. I have the big tank in my truck, and I can get from my house to Loves and back on a single tank.

Buy cheap gas with a big tank, not expensive gas with a really big tank.

hallett21

Reaction score
Campbell's gas is only like 50-60 cents cheaper per gallon than here. It is close to the most expensive in town. So if you filled (4) 55 gallon drums (220 gallons), it would save you $100-$120, and you have to deal with 220 gallons of gas.

I buy at Smiths, Loves or Pilot, and it is close to $1 cheaper than home and I'm saving ~$30 on a 30-32 gallon fill up. I have the big tank in my truck, and I can get from my house to Loves and back on a single tank.

Buy cheap gas with a big tank, not expensive gas with a really big tank.

That’s why I need it to last for 3-4 months. When gas is 5.50 lol

Reactions: DWC

farmo83

Reaction score
Whatever you put it in make sure there isn't any corrosion.

Also Saudi isn't going to keep prices propped up forever. Once we have sustained demand they will pull back cuts. Trust me I work at Chevron in trading. 5.50 will come from Biden but not until 2022 most likely.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Some good, some bad info being passed along here. If you fill the drums close to the top and then fully seal them, it will last significantly longer than you think. Additionally, liquid does not significantly expand like air with temperature variation. You will get people ranting and raving about this and how dangerous the heat is -- think back to the pacific in WWII. Huge fuel dumps in 55 gal drums laying out in full sun for months at a time with no issues. Also, regarding the laws on volume. Big trucks commonly run 90gal tanks on each side without placards. You don't want to get caught with more than 100 gal in a single container but multiples are okay. I do not know what the upper limit is though. I used to commonly haul 4 55 gal drums upright in my truck to fuel a remote location. That said I would tarp them as did not want playful conversations on the side of the road with the state's finest.

What you are talking about is very doable and can be practical if you have the right setup. However, it can also be risky if you step over a few safety and legal lines.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I've bought 55gal drums of race gas and racing methanol for years. So I dont see a problem with it. But, keep them sealed, off the concrete or ground(I keep them on a pallet), dry place and use an actual pump made for fuel to extract.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1615846071710.png
    1615846071710.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 72

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Some good, some bad info being passed along here. If you fill the drums close to the top and then fully seal them, it will last significantly longer than you think. Additionally, liquid does not significantly expand like air with temperature variation. You will get people ranting and raving about this and how dangerous the heat is -- think back to the pacific in WWII. Huge fuel dumps in 55 gal drums laying out in full sun for months at a time with no issues. Also, regarding the laws on volume. Big trucks commonly run 90gal tanks on each side without placards. You don't want to get caught with more than 100 gal in a single container but multiples are okay. I do not know what the upper limit is though. I used to commonly haul 4 55 gal drums upright in my truck to fuel a remote location. That said I would tarp them as did not want playful conversations on the side of the road with the state's finest.

What you are talking about is very doable and can be practical if you have the right setup. However, it can also be risky if you step over a few safety and legal lines.
California law states a private individual can transport up to 999 pounds of their own fuel (i.e. not for resale) in a vehicle. Obviously they will need to be in DOT and CARB approved containers to be 100% legit. The latter may be the most difficult as I don't think there are any CARB containers that have that much capacity.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I saw a guy at Sams in Bullhead a while back filling up a 550 gallon diesel fuel tank, a 100 gallons in his transfer tank and he said roughly 40 gallons in his truck, I said let me guess you are from Cali, he said Yup, Diesel is over 3.50 and it was only 1.89 at Sams. He said he has to make a company delivery every few months from Cali to Bullhead and they pay him for time, mileage and per diem, I said that is a great gig, I asked if they have any openings lol........I guess if you have the proper storage tanks and use a lot of diesel it is well worth it if you do it 4-6 times a year...especially since he did not incur any costs at all and made good money doing it.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
California law states a private individual can transport up to 999 pounds of their own fuel (i.e. not for resale) in a vehicle. Obviously they will need to be in DOT and CARB approved containers to be 100% legit. The latter may be the most difficult as I don't think there are any CARB containers that have that much capacity.

55 gallon drums must be DOT and CARB approved, otherwise how would trucks be able to deliver fuel drums?

trophybug19

Reaction score
We use to do it. I worked at an environmental company so got the barrels for free. We had a 3 barrel rotation going since we didn't have any way to remove it from my truck. One would stay at the house empty the other 2 would travel with me. Once we got to the house 1 would fill up the boat other would get transfered into the empty barrel that was moved with a heavy duty hand truck. Only did this cause we were at the landing gas was expensive and we had a company gas card for a company that was not 76, which was at the landing. Never got stopped and never had any issues with getting water contamination. But we had 1100sqft of covered parking also. Looking back glad nothing ever serious happened but we took precautions like grounding and keep it out of direct sunlight.

DWC

Reaction score
Not sure what it’s going to be in a couple months. Might want to hurry. Campbell Cove Saturday.

17436BD9-8179-489E-9F38-A7224F9A5908.jpeg

Reactions: TPC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Hauling two is still kind of a grey area, isn't it?. I thought Cali law said something along the lines of 600lbs and greater needed to have placards. So one page may say what's legal, and another may contradict it. You will most likely never have a problem. If you should happen to get into a wreck though, all kinds of bad stuff...

Sherpa

Reaction score
I was always told you can haul 110 gals without issues....... which is equal to 2 55gal drums.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've done it but stuff starts growing in it.
It has moisture in it.
I bought 2 and sent one of these to RD, hope Dave still has it. It works amazing:

Also I add a 1/4 bottle of this:
1615990876279.jpeg