WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barron 290S

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Anybody have one I can snoop around and maybe catch a ride in? I’ll be in Havasu this Saturday at Conquest checking them out.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Anybody have one I can snoop around and maybe catch a ride in? I’ll be in Havasu this Saturday at Conquest checking them out.
Call Jerry and arrange something?
He has a couple there in production to see. Both in rig and in lamination/assembly.
One we did a custom Hellcat green on.
You can see the reflection of a step stool in it.
It’s at the tail end of rigging now.
EEC5C5DB-222F-49C0-A8FE-1BAAD2FD5299.png

One for service.

I’m sure if you arranged it he’d be at a ramp in Havasu during one of his own outings or something.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
He has a couple there in production to see. Both in rig and in lamination/assembly.
It’s at the tail end of rigging now. View attachment 1179073

One for service.

I’m sure if you arranged it he’d be at a ramp in Havasu during one of his own outings or something.
He’s got one in the production phase now I’m gonna see. Hoping he can get one to Elsinore or Havasu to drive.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
It’s at the tail end of rigging now. View attachment 1179073

One for service.

I’m not a big fan of green boats , but there’s a 270 that is like a Forest Green , really nice ! It really looks good on the water .

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
He’s got one in the production phase now I’m gonna see. Hoping he can get one to Elsinore or Havasu to drive.
He lake tests at Puddingstone. I went by his shop a few times when I was in the market. Early production so I was reluctant to go with him... Looks like he has made big improvements on his hardware (seat bases and such). Early on, he was still using early 2000's Hallett hardware. The boat is very spacious and sharp looking. At times I look back and kinda think I should have gone with the Barron 290....

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
He lake tests at Puddingstone. I went by his shop a few times when I was in the market. Early production so I was reluctant to go with him... Looks like he has made big improvements on his hardware (seat bases and such). Early on, he was still using early 2000's Hallett hardware. The boat is very spacious and sharp looking. At times I look back and kinda think I should have gone with the Barron 290....
I might also go look at shockwave as well. How does the boat perform and how is quality/fit and finish?

Last edited:

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I might also go look at shockwave as well. How does the boat perform and how is quality/fit and finish?
Not knowing how the Barron would perform was my biggest scare... There are a few out there now so you may have a better chance at getting some feedback than I did. I love the lines of the 290S and he claims some good performance out of the hull. I was only able the get in contact with one person who actually rode in it though.

As far as the Shockwave goes, we love it. The boat handles well and is solid as F! We definitely have our complaints though.
Where I start having problems is the finish work. We went for pretty much every upgrade that we could, but when it came time to pick the boat up, I feel like they rushed it out the door. Not much time finish polishing, 100 air bubbles in the gator, dings that were missed (I brought the boat back in and they fixed), just the little things that make you happy.
Of all the little things that I have to complain about, the one thing that bugs me is the switches. I asked for the newer push button switches that all the higher end manufacturers use and basically got talked out of them because they don't like using them. Don't take this wrong, we really love the boat and building it was an awesome, yet stressful experience. I would certainly recommend them, just go in knowing that you're not buying a Hallett or a Howard... Then again, their wait times are more than double what Shockwave can offer. Sold my Hallett August 21 and had my new Shockwave in April 22. That is the sacrifice you pay. Jerry is building more and more boats now but Shockwave has a waiting list that is growing every day, so they have to move these boats along. With that said, they do almost everything in house, so that is cool. No waiting on outside vendors other than Gator Step and the bimini top.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Not knowing how the Barron would perform was my biggest scare... There are a few out there now so you may have a better chance at getting some feedback than I did. I love the lines of the 290S and he claims some good performance out of the hull. I was only able the get in contact with one person who actually rode in it though.

As far as the Shockwave goes, we love it. The boat handles well and is solid as F! We definitely have our complaints though.
Where I start having problems is the finish work. We went for pretty much every upgrade that we could, but when it came time to pick the boat up, I feel like they rushed it out the door. Not much time finish polishing, 100 air bubbles in the gator, dings that were missed (I brought the boat back in and they fixed), just the little things that make you happy.
Of all the little things that I have to complain about, the one thing that bugs me is the switches. I asked for the newer push button switches that all the higher end manufacturers use and basically got talked out of them because they don't like using them. Don't take this wrong, we really love the boat and building it was an awesome, yet stressful experience. I would certainly recommend them, just go in knowing that you're not buying a Hallett or a Howard... Then again, their wait times are more than double what Shockwave can offer. Sold my Hallett August 21 and had my new Shockwave in April 22. That is the sacrifice you pay. Jerry is building more and more boats now but Shockwave has a waiting list that is growing every day, so they have to move these boats along. With that said, they do almost everything in house, so that is cool. No waiting on outside vendors other than Gator Step and the bimini top.
That’s the kind of feedback I needed and what’s hard to find with paid reviews. Seeing TC1 and 2 tomorrow and 290S next week. Waiting for final numbers on Hallett 285 but I think they’re going to be $75-85,000 more and a longer wait time. I’m being told 5-6 months for Barron, Hallett and Conquest but that puts us between May and June if I order before end of year which is perfect.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The helm of the 290 would be a hard pass for me. The way it is designed is horrible. Go sit in one and you will know what I am talking about. If I was in the market for a deck boat in that size I would buy a Nordic, Howard or Eliminator.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
The helm of the 290 would be a hard pass for me. The way it is designed is horrible. Go sit in one and you will know what I am talking about. If I was in the market for a deck boat in that size I would buy a Nordic, Howard or Eliminator.
How so? I’ve heard steering is off center

Last edited:

sczagurs

Reaction score
What about one of those new Interceptors? They look like they are cranking them out and they have some clean lines. Fit and finish looks nice too.

HoJo

Reaction score
The throttle placement is horrible too. There is a thread on it somewhere. I will see if I can pull up some pictures from the boat show.
Maybe here:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I agree. That helm is weird and didn’t like it at all, which sux cause I love the lines of the boat. The Hallett 285 is similar.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
That’s the kind of feedback I needed and what’s hard to find with paid reviews. Seeing TC1 and 2 tomorrow and 290S next week. Waiting for final numbers on Hallett 285 but I think they’re going to be $75-85,000 more and a longer wait time. I’m being told 5-6 months for Barron, Hallett and Conquest but that puts us between May and June if I order before end of year which is perfect.
What about the Howard 28 deckboat? Not sure if its similar pricing to Conquest but they sure are beautiful.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
What about the used Howard that is listed on here

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
When I called Nordic to give me an estimate on a new 285, they were 2 years out. Gene at Howard told me 2 years before he would start my build on a 288. Jerry told me 5 months on the 290S. We came in at around 10 months at Shockwave. I personally don't care for the lines on the Eliminator deck so didn't reach out to them. As far as price range goes, the Hallett and Howard were pretty much the same. The Barron and Shockwave were almost the same. We could build a Shockwave with the 600sci at a comparable cost as a 520 in the Howard or Hallet.
I don't know where everyone is at on build cost now, but I know they haven't gone down any LOL!

The throttle placement is horrible too. There is a thread on it somewhere. I will see if I can pull up some pictures from the boat show.
The one he had in the shop when I was there did not have the seats in it yet. I was curious how the throttle position worked out. I had also read that the seat wasn't centered with the helm.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
When I called Nordic to give me an estimate on a new 285, they were 2 years out. Gene at Howard told me 2 years before he would start my build on a 288. Jerry told me 5 months on the 290S. We came in at around 10 months at Shockwave. I personally don't care for the lines on the Eliminator deck so didn't reach out to them. As far as price range goes, the Hallett and Howard were pretty much the same. The Barron and Shockwave were almost the same. We could build a Shockwave with the 600sci at a comparable cost as a 520 in the Howard or Hallet.
I don't know where everyone is at on build cost now, but I know they haven't gone down any LOL!

The one he had in the shop when I was there did not have the seats in it yet. I was curious how the throttle position worked out. I had also read that the seat wasn't centered with the helm.

You can see now that you get what you pay for from a fit and finish perspective. Your Shockwave is beautiful.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
What about the Howard 28 deckboat? Not sure if its similar pricing to Conquest but they sure are beautiful.
I’d like one but not in 2025. I want to go boating this year. After seeing throttle and steering on Barron, that’s out. I got final pricing from Nordic today on 285, hoping to see one tomorrow.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
You can see now that you get what you pay for from a fit and finish perspective. Your Shockwave is beautiful.
Yes, I kept telling myself that during the build. Again, not knocking on my Shockwave at all, but I knew we weren't building a new Hallett. My wife on the other hand was a bit upset when she started picking the boat apart. For the money we paid, she expected better care at the end. I live/work near the shop so I was there twice a week. Almost bird dogging them. Poor guys had to put up with me LOL! Glad I did though because I was able to catch some things and upgrade/change some things as the build progressed.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Have you looked at Cobra? Only downside is dealing with the sales guy. I wouldn't. But a little birdie told Me it might be under new ownership soon.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Have you looked at Cobra? Only downside is dealing with the sales guy. I wouldn't. But a little birdie told Me it might be under new ownership soon.
I did look at the Python 280 and 280-W. Funky designs but nice interiors. I may go through one before ordering something.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
What about one of those new Interceptors? They look like they are cranking them out and they have some clean lines. Fit and finish looks nice too.
I second this @FROGMAN524 A friend has had 2 of their 28s now and the fit and finish, interior work, gelcoat, is top notch. Really nice boats.

hallett21

Reaction score
Will anyone lay up a Lavey? Just another option, trying to think if you’re missing any boats.

counterpart7

Reaction score
I’m meeting with Andrew from ICB tomorrow morning and then Mike at Conquest after. Barron next week. Essex Fusion is a bit funky to me too, like the Cobra.
ICBs for sure look good, I’m a big fan of their 26! Quality looked good at the Street Party.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider the Essex a little more. Maybe stop by and check them out? Their deck looks great on the water.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yeah but wait is excruciating.
Order the Howard. Its not like you don't have a bitchin boat to hold you over. Then you have what you wanted from the start. Guarantee if you don't when you take delivery of any of the others you will wish you had just waited.

I bet the wait shortens as people start to cancel orders also.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Order the Howard. Its not like you don't have a bitchin boat to hold you over. Then you have what you wanted from the start. Guarantee if you don't when you take delivery of any of the others you will wish you had just waited.

I bet the wait shortens as people start to cancel orders also.
I believe the Hallett sold.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
If we are complaining about throttle position the worst by far is the 28 ICB. Could be my height or size but it’s stuck down below seat level and about mid thigh so your elbow hits the seat back and makes throttle manipulation a wrist only activity. Great looking boats though. The 26 is their best looking boat and the integrated “extended” swim step option looks perfect. A few owners back there was some mention of it being a splash of the Next/Domn8er which it definitely looks like with that same triple step running surface. Should be a great running boat.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So exactly where is ICB located at

Attachments

• 7FA6EC82-9070-4188-9026-0FDCA8B55E89.png
    7FA6EC82-9070-4188-9026-0FDCA8B55E89.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • EAA2ABA3-6B0E-45F4-A1D6-8E4B49EC7A8F.png
    EAA2ABA3-6B0E-45F4-A1D6-8E4B49EC7A8F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I was at ICB and conquest today. Going to Barron next week. Howard is out. I could be dead and gone in 24-30 months. Take Springfield for example. RIP.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
How was it at ICB?
Andrew was super nice. They make a loaded deck for a reasonable price. Only thing I noticed was the gel flaking off in several areas and lots of waves in the sides. Throttle position is unusual and all storage, ski locker and cooler doors are flimsy.