WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bathroom Remodel

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Looking to do bathroom remodel in LHC. Looking for recommendations to remove fiberglass shower tub replace with tile shower (tub?). We realize contractors are currently booked out a ways.

sintax

Reaction score
yea, its a bummer. Not in LHC, but i'm struggling to even find someone to give me a quote on a bathroom remodel in so.cal.

traquer

Reaction score
What's a ballpark for something like this on an average bathroom, just curious? 10-15k for something pretty nice? On my new build in TX I put in some nice tile with he builder and overpayed but I know it's cheaper than tearing out the ugly stuff and doing it over and don't have to wait.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Looking to do bathroom remodel in LHC. Looking for recommendations to remove fiberglass shower tub replace with tile shower (tub?). We realize contractors are currently booked out a ways.

Preilipp Just did our whole house in havasu.. Call Mark @ 928-230-1103, the guys who did our showers, also did all of the tile in the house. They did a great job..

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
What's a ballpark for something like this on an average bathroom, just curious? 10-15k for something pretty nice? On my new build in TX I put in some nice tile with he builder and overpayed but I know it's cheaper than tearing out the ugly stuff and doing it over and don't have to wait.

Wildly subjective depending on tile, pan type/setup, fixtures, etc. You are likely in the ball park for decent materials. It can get really expensive really quick.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
yea, its a bummer. Not in LHC, but i'm struggling to even find someone to give me a quote on a bathroom remodel in so.cal.
If you are close to Torrance I could help you out. We are 3 months out though on bathrooms.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Bathrooms have a huge variation in price depending on what you pick. Average for last 3 years I would say $18,500-22,500. I have 5 bathrooms currently. Quality Tile guys is the biggest hurdle.

sintax

Reaction score
If you are close to Torrance I could help you out. We are 3 months out though on bathrooms.

I'm in Riverside, not sure if you come this far out from the bay, or had any other recommendations.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I'm in Riverside, not sure if you come this far out from the bay, or had any other recommendations.
I can ask a friend he is in Ontario and just had all his bathrooms done. With traffic it's to far.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
10-15 would be a ball park for a really rudimentary bathroom rebuild if you want to start doing custom stuff the price goes up and goes up really fast.

sintax

Reaction score
I can ask a friend he is in Ontario and just had all his bathrooms done. With traffic it's to far.

I totally feel ya. Not a problem, and I appreciate the help either way.

sintax

Reaction score

I dont know if it matters, but just a really quick highlevel overview of what i'm looking at doing, is tearing out a early 2000's era big fiberglass soaking tub and putting in a standup tile shower, removing the adjacent tiny standup fiberglass stall shower and putting in a little linen closet, and new flooring.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I dont know if it matters, but just a really quick highlevel overview of what i'm looking at doing, is tearing out a early 2000's era big fiberglass soaking tub and putting in a standup tile shower, removing the adjacent tiny standup fiberglass stall shower and putting in a little linen closet, and new flooring.

Bust out the tool belt and sawsall! You got this! Its a small easy project......

Last edited:

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We just completed 2 bathrooms at our Havasu place, flew in my wife's brother from Montana for a few weeks to help with the work. Both bathrooms were original from when the house was built in the mid 80's. We ended up with 14k in materials to complete both bathrooms but that does not include what we paid her brother. Both are walk in showers now.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You guys are 1%’s aren’t you.

I redid mine for under 4K. Didn’t replace counter top though.

traquer

Reaction score
I've watched a bunch of shower waterproofing and tiling videos (this guy is my fav on youtube) but I don't have the time to learn it and do it well. What goes on behind the tile is a lot more work than the tile usually! Especially if you want to add niches and other fancy stuff!

sintax

Reaction score
Bust out the tool best and sawsall! You got this! Its a small easy project......

haha I've done enough tile work to know i'm too anal to do my own tile work, esp something that I'm going to look at every day. If i was doing a rental or maybe even a guest bath I wouldnt think twice about it.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
haha I've done enough tile work to know i'm too anal to do my own tile work, esp something that I'm going to look at every day. If i was doing a rental or maybe even a guest bath I wouldnt think twice about it.
I've done my share of tile. What I have found out is that my anal side kicks in and it generally comes out better than most pros. That said, what they do in a day, I do in 3........

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I've watched a bunch of shower waterproofing and tiling videos (this guy is my fav on youtube) but I don't have the time to learn it and do it well. What goes on behind the tile is a lot more work than the tile usually! Especially if you want to add niches and other fancy stuff!

Wow, that guy is great. I really like the end and his suggestion to the younger generation. Thanks for posting. I am sure I will be using him moving forward with looking for information.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Just wait 6 months , the shit is being flung into the fan as we speak …

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Just wait 6 months , the shit is being flung into the fan as we speak …

We are a long way from a stable supply of materials. I'm trying to put together a couple multifamily projects at the moment. One of the companies I have bought a lot of a specific material from told me it would be upwards of a year before I saw delivery. Shits gonna hit the fan but not in the same way as it did previously.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I know a guy.. out here in Cali. Just knocked out a room addition it 1 week ..2 guys... cheaper than most guys bathroom remodels. I have him heading out to the parker house to do some work soon. After that I'll turn him.loose to whoever. The kid knows his shit.. and crazy affordable..young and hungry. I'll throw up a few pics tomorrow.. you tell me what this should cost.. 😉

weasle

Reaction score
One of the biggest problems you may encounter is trying to find a lot of the finishing products like valves and a faucet and or a shower head that are all the same finish or brand. This supply and Covid shit is annoying.. just went through this .

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
We’re in the middle of a bathroom remodel now. I’d reach out to Tony at Anselmo & Sons for your tile, they killed our shower. We’re doing the closet then hopefully the tub will get painted then tile splash and the full wall above it. I’m doing a lot myself but the hard stuff yea I’m doing a lot myself as people aren’t good at showing up.

The phantom drain is my favorite part, i stare at it every time i shower lol, glass should be getting done next week.
DE38B6A5-579B-42BB-BB3E-D85D34F8CDB2.jpeg
9B20E0DA-24FB-4C74-8331-95435187097F.jpeg
810EFB94-36C0-4693-992E-216B4B36FF6F.jpeg
Anselmo & Sons
(928) 201-4567

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I understand wanting to get the bathroom remolded, but why now? If you are doing it to sell then ok. Every house except this one I remodeled something. Could have waited a long time on any of those if prices were crazy like it is now.

FYI thought about tiling the house here. Got referrals from many that said the guy does awesome tile. Had him over and talked different tile and patters to install.

Looked at cost of tile and said nope I will wait. Tile guy said you provide the material and I will install for $2.00 a sqft. Was blown away. I paid more than that back in the mid 90's for a kitchen floor tile.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I understand wanting to get the bathroom remolded, but why now? If you are doing it to sell then ok. Every house except this one I remodeled something. Could have waited a long time on any of those if prices were crazy like it is now.

FYI thought about tiling the house here. Got referrals from many that said the guy does awesome tile. Had him over and talked different tile and patters to install.

Looked at cost of tile and said nope I will wait. Tile guy said you provide the material and I will install for $2.00 a sqft. Was blown away. I paid more than that back in the mid 90's for a kitchen floor tile.
You ask why now, but i ask why not now? Minimum wage is being upped to 15$+ that will make a cheese burger at McDonald’s go from $0.99 to $2.99 so if you think the price of wood is expensive today it’s only going to get more expensive from my view. The inflation has just begun. Do it now and yes it’ll be 2-3 Z’s what it was two years ago but will also be 1/3-1/4 what it’ll be in the next year or two.

It’s only just begun but they’ve found there way to destroy the middle class, and nothing it’s going to go down in price.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You ask why now, but i ask why not now? Minimum wage is being upped to 15$+ that will make a cheese burger at McDonald’s go from $0.99 to $2.99 so if you think the price of wood is expensive today it’s only going to get more expensive from my view. The inflation has just begun. Do it now and yes it’ll be 2-3 Z’s what it was two years ago but will also be 1/3-1/4 what it’ll be in the next year or two.

It’s only just begun but they’ve found there way to destroy the middle class, and nothing it’s going to go down in price.

Just don't think the economy can endure the amount of inflation that is going on right now. Throughout time things go up and down. Look at all the people in 06 and 07 that HAD to buy a house now because the prices were just going to keep going up. Not saying there will be as big of a downfall as back then, but it will go down in my opinion.

77charger

Reaction score

As a hot mopper for 27 years i find this interesting.I have seen many new products come out some good others not so much you find out within a few years after all the rage at the start.I know hot mopping aint around or popular in alot of places so they go to alternatives.

What something like this appears to look simple an average homeowner is going to be lost.You only get one layer of overlap in the corners and the guy himself sees the crease form so covers it again with the sealant.IMO that is one thing an in experienced person will miss.You would be surprised the tiniest of holes can be problem months down the road.Guy appears to know what he is doing but i can assure you it aint an easy process as he makes it look making that mud bed perfect takes some skills.Only seams in a hot mop pan are the corners and the overlap of paper on the floor and sides but all overlap and 3 layers.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just don't think the economy can endure the amount of inflation that is going on right now. Throughout time things go up and down. Look at all the people in 06 and 07 that HAD to buy a house now because the prices were just going to keep going up. Not saying there will be as big of a downfall as back then, but it will go down in my opinion.
The big downside, difference this time, is the minimum wage. Once set will never dip, thusly those that earned their way from $6 to the $18 they make now, will still be making $18, while the high school students will be making $15 at McDonald’s. Business will not survive that unless they increase their prices, and now we have full term inflation that’ll never drop.

traquer

Reaction score
As a hot mopper for 27 years i find this interesting.I have seen many new products come out some good others not so much you find out within a few years after all the rage at the start.I know hot mopping aint around or popular in alot of places so they go to alternatives.

What something like this appears to look simple an average homeowner is going to be lost.You only get one layer of overlap in the corners and the guy himself sees the crease form so covers it again with the sealant.IMO that is one thing an in experienced person will miss.You would be surprised the tiniest of holes can be problem months down the road.Guy appears to know what he is doing but i can assure you it aint an easy process as he makes it look making that mud bed perfect takes some skills.Only seams in a hot mop pan are the corners and the overlap of paper on the floor and sides but all overlap and 3 layers.

There's so many skilled and knowledgable people on this board I'm always blown away. Yeah tiling seems fun to me and I want to learn since it's the kind of a precision thing I can go slow with at my own pace. Some other things like this stuff you mentioned I'd probably leave it to a pro!

SoCalDave

Reaction score

Yeah this guys has some pretty good videos, this Flex Seal one is interesting.

sintax

Reaction score
There's so many skilled and knowledgable people on this board I'm always blown away. Yeah tiling seems fun to me and I want to learn since it's the kind of a precision thing I can go slow with at my own pace. Some other things like this stuff you mentioned I'd probably leave it to a pro!

oh its totally fun and games right up until you've laid a large portion down perfectly, and then you release you calculated or measured from the wrong side of something and you're stuck with like 3 shitty cuts to make something fit and it looks like total crap so you have to tear it all up and start fresh. Its kinda like building a wall I guess. Once you get that first initial run down, its kinda straight forward =)

traquer

Reaction score
Yeah this guys has some pretty good videos, this Flex Seal one is interesting.

I like this guy, not afraid to try some random ideas. The only thing I still don't really understand is why he builds showers like 5 different ways, sometimes he floats a wall sometimes not etc. He doesn't have a set way of doing bathrooms. Guess it depends on what the job requires and how jacked up the walls are lol

77charger

Reaction score
I can do a few things but drywall guys make it look easy they can measure cut out electric boxes put back on and its perfect.Same seeing the guys who float walls sadly not as common as before.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

My last two projects sucked. A one week job is taking 4-5 weeks to complete, and it’s not perfect.

The crew shows up 3-4 hours a day, and Monday is a coin toss if they show up at all.
I’m going to include a missed deadline clause in their quotes going forward.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

Anything that requires experienced labor, is going to be very expensive, and difficult to find.