WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Battery Charging in Parallel?

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I have a ProMariner 3 Bank Charger. I have three batteries. One is for starting [Perko setting 1] and two group 27s, running in parallel [Perko setting 2].

What is the correct way to hook up the charger? I have never permanently connected the charger to the batteries.
  • Run a charge connection to each battery?
  • Run a charge to the starting battery and only the positive of battery 1 and the negative of battery 2 in the parallel set-up?
  • Anything special that needs to be done with the batteries in parallel?
  • Does the Perko switch setting make a difference during the charging?
I have seen almost every wiring diagram for this, but they all seem to contradict each other on YouTube.

I do not want to learn by trial and error...

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I have a ProMariner 3 Bank Charger. I have three batteries. One is for starting [Perko setting 1] and two group 27s, running in parallel [Perko setting 2].

What is the correct way to hook up the charger? I have never permanently connected the charger to the batteries.
  • Run a charge connection to each battery?
  • Run a charge to the starting battery and only the positive of battery 1 and the negative of battery 2 in the parallel set-up?
  • Anything special that needs to be done with the batteries in parallel?
  • Does the Perko switch setting make a difference during the charging?
I have seen almost every wiring diagram for this, but they all seem to contradict each other on YouTube.

I do not want to learn by trial and error...

This is exactly what I have. Run a set of leads to each battery and forget it. You don’t have to separate them. It reads each battery independently regardless of whether their connected together or not.

Been this way on my boat for 5 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yep. Do one bank directly to each battery and leave the perko switch set at 1 or off when you charge.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It would make me nervous leaving perko switch on 1, I would leave it to the off position [emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If storing for a long period I’d turn it off. But it is no different than a car. Unless there is an electrical problem, it should be fine.

Turning all the way off can lose some or all your stereo settings, which can be a pain.

milkmoney

Reaction score
If storing for a long period I’d turn it off. But it is no different than a car. Unless there is an electrical problem, it should be fine.

Turning all the way off can lose some or all your stereo settings, which can be a pain.
Lol. Ur always right. I pull up to foxes or sand bar and I turn my perko switch to off every time. I have this thing about having power on , when not using it [emoji202]

Taboma

Reaction score
My suggestion would be. Charge the single starting battery off one charger bank. Charge the two parallel batteries as one large amperage battery off the 2nd charger bank and leave the 3rd charger bank disconnected. The two parallel batteries equalize anyway to create a single battery, charging with two charger banks is the same as charging a single battery with two chargers.
The two chargers, especially if smart chargers, can fight each other, or one will dominate and you'll be charging with only one anyway, or at best, two charging at reduced capacity.
OR
You wire a Perko On-Off switch between the two paralleled batteries, then charge them from charger banks 2 and 3 with the switch in the off position. So two chargers charging two individual batteries. As soon as you turn that switch on, any charge or conditional difference between those two batteries will equalize, again becoming essentially one large capacity battery. The only real benefit to the switch would be two fold. A. Separated they might charger faster B. Should one battery cell short, you can isolate them, otherwise you lose both.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol. Ur always right. I pull up to foxes or sand bar and I turn my perko switch to off every time. I have this thing about having power on , when not using it [emoji202]

You disconnect your car’s battery when you get to the store for Coors Light I’m sure. :)

I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do it. But the only risk you have in leaving the boat on while charging is that there is some electrical issue that will back feed the charge to some component and fry it. If everything is turned off, just the boat ECU (if fuel injected) and the radio are the only things that keep a 12v constant connection.

Taboma

Reaction score
You disconnect your car’s battery when you get to the store for Coors Light I’m sure. :)

I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do it. But the only risk you have in leaving the boat on while charging is that there is some electrical issue that will back feed the charge to some component and fry it. If everything is turned off, just the boat ECU (if fuel injected) and the radio are the only things that keep a 12v constant connection.

I think it depends on how easy you can access the perko switch if power is required to open your hatch to GET TO the perko switch !! :confused:

milkmoney

Reaction score

Actually dont turn off truck , it's to cold. Leave it running [emoji106] [emoji202]

Apple's and bananas

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Actually dont turn off truck , it's to cold. Leave it running [emoji106] [emoji202]

Apple's and bananas

That is basically like leaving your perko switch on with your charger plugged into the wall.

Granny Smith apples to Honeycrisp Apples :)

Are you moving soon so you want have to do that?

milkmoney

Reaction score
That is basically like leaving your perko switch on with your charger plugged into the wall.

Granny Smith apples to Honeycrisp Apples :)

Are you moving soon so you want have to do that?
I will not, regardless of what u say , leave my perko switch on in my boat unless I am running the boat down the river

My last set of batteries in my boat lasted 7 years , didn't replace them, sold the boat, so my madness works for me , no baller here, can't afford batteries every year.

Hell no, I ain't moving. I love frezzzzzzing my ass off [emoji6] [emoji202]

Taboma

Reaction score
I will not, regardless of what u say , leave my perko switch on in my boat unless I am running the boat down the river

My last set of batteries in my boat lasted 7 years , didn't replace them, sold the boat, so my madness works for me , no baller here, can't afford batteries every year.

You got boat batteries to last 7 years in a boat stored year round in Havasu or Parker ? That's a damned miracle battery and I want some :D

milkmoney

Reaction score
You got boat batteries to last 7 years in a boat stored year round in Havasu or Parker ? That's a damned miracle battery and I want some :D
Yes I have , interstate batteries is all they were. [emoji202]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I basically do the same thing. But leaving the switch on, while your batteries charge does not affect battery life at all.

That is all I’m saying.

In effect I (and most people) do exactly what you do. I run the boat with the switch on BOTH down the river and when I beach I put the switch to 2 so I can use the stereo. I’ve isolated one battery at that point so I’m certain the boat will start when I want to leave.

Howeve, I’m not worried about killing a battery when they are both charging in my garage. I switch to 1 or 2 while charging to avoid the situation Tahoma described above, as I have a dual bank charger.

Last edited:

milkmoney

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. But leaving the switch on, while your batteries charge does not affect battery life at all.

That is all I’m saying.
My comment is not directed towards battery life. More towards having power on to the batteries as they are being charged. Jus my OCD[emoji202]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My comment is not directed towards battery life. More towards having power on to the batteries as they are being charged. Jus my OCD[emoji202]

I understand. There is nothing wrong with switching to “off” for charging. If your boat is wired properly, it is a very low risk proposition leaving it on.

People have been charging batteries with very low draws on them for decades.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I understand. There is nothing wrong with switching to “off” for charging. If your boat is wired properly, it is a very low risk proposition leaving it on.
It's a schiada. No more needs to be said [emoji6] [emoji202]

It's really not about how good the boat is wired or wired properly. It's my OCD , that I couldn't do it

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's a schiada. No more needs to be said [emoji6] [emoji202]

Correct. You can’t be blamed for attempting to perpetuate garage queen perfection.

Baller.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
My suggestion would be. Charge the single starting battery off one charger bank. Charge the two parallel batteries as one large amperage battery off the 2nd charger bank and leave the 3rd charger bank disconnected. The two parallel batteries equalize anyway to create a single battery, charging with two charger banks is the same as charging a single battery with two chargers.
The two chargers, especially if smart chargers, can fight each other, or one will dominate and you'll be charging with only one anyway, or at best, two charging at reduced capacity.
OR
You wire a Perko On-Off switch between the two paralleled batteries, then charge them from charger banks 2 and 3 with the switch in the off position. So two chargers charging two individual batteries. As soon as you turn that switch on, any charge or conditional difference between those two batteries will equalize, again becoming essentially one large capacity battery. The only real benefit to the switch would be two fold. A. Separated they might charger faster B. Should one battery cell short, you can isolate them, otherwise you lose both.

So 28E has one set up and you suggest another. I would imagine battery size would matter? My bank 2 consists of two group 27 Mastervolt batteries. How will I know if this charger has enough power to charge the 2 27s as one large amperage battery? The charger is designed to charge 24, 27, 30 and 31 size batteries.

3 bank.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So 28E has one set up and you suggest another. I would imagine battery size would matter? My bank 2 consists of two group 27 Mastervolt batteries. How will I know if this charger has enough power to charge the 2 27s as one large amperage battery? The charger is designed to charge 24, 27, 30 and 31 size batteries.

View attachment 628557

Taboma’s options are 100% the best way to do it. If you have faith that the chargers will do their job, you probably don’t NEED to isolate th batteries in bank 2 for charging. You’ll want to watch them, as when one goes bad, it will kill the other without isolation on that bank.

Leaving the circuit complete on bank 2 will double the effective charge rate, but there are 2 batteries, so it should be fine with double the amps charging, and you are trusting the charger to peak charge and maintain them.

The charger will charge your batteries, without question. The larger the battery the longer a full charge will take. But when will you ever be charging the batteries from nothing? Probably never.

I suspect you are not really going to rely on the charger to fully charge these batteries, you are looking to top off and maintain them, right?

After an outing, the charger will run for a couple hours and shut off and go to trickle or float.

28Eliminator

Reaction score

View attachment 628557

Joe, call Pro Mariner if you have any questions. Don’t try and re-invent the wheel like these guys are suggesting... IT WORKS THE WAY ITS DESIGNED TO.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Taboma’s options are 100% the best way to do it. If you have faith that the chargers will do their job, you probably don’t NEED to isolate th batteries in bank 2 for charging. You’ll want to watch them, as when one goes bad, it will kill the other without isolation on that bank.

Leaving the circuit complete on bank 2 will double the effective charge rate, but there are 2 batteries, so it should be fine with double the amps charging, and you are trusting the charger to peak charge and maintain them.

The charger will charge your batteries, without question. The larger the battery the longer a full charge will take. But when will you ever be charging the batteries from nothing? Probably never.

I suspect you are not really going to rely on the charger to fully charge these batteries, you are looking to top off and maintain them, right?

After an outing, the charger will run for a couple hours and shut off and go to trickle or float.

Correct - I won't be draining and charging from nothing. They will never get down that low. Yup - just looking for a top off.

The bummer about this is I will never get the full benefit of this charger and 'maintaining'. My storage unit does not have a dedicated outlet for me to keep the charger plugged in during storage time when I am gone. The only time I can plug in is when we come out to boat and I can run an extension cord from the house to the boat while she sits overnight. I do not own a river pad.

I have always brought batteries home and charged them between trips. This routine gets old. But, it is nice to keep them cool and not stored in the Parker heat.

I had a large stereo in my old boat and it ate charge. I was always swapping out batteries. No big stereo system in this boat... probably overkill with the 2-27 bank. These things weigh 46 pounds each.

I know she will get charged during her annual service this month. I will finally wire the charger and see what happens.

Thanks!

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Joe, call Pro Mariner if you have any questions. Don’t try and re-invent the wheel like these guys are suggesting... IT WORKS THE WAY ITS DESIGNED TO.

Thanks, DS. I always like to see how others have done things. I'll ring them. I think my manual is with the boat, but I just went to their website... here is a snapshot. This 2 bank battery [in parallel] has a lead to each battery :)
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Basically they are saying the charger is smart enough to figure it out on your parallel bank. Hook one bank to each battery and plug it in.
R u saying the charger is smarter than the person hooking it up

Joe don't take this shit, no burgers for little orange guy [emoji202]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
R u saying the charger is smarter than the person hooking it up

Joe don't take this shit, no burgers for little orange guy [emoji202]

Well if the person hooking up the charger does not know if the battery they are hooking the charger to is fully charged, then yes the charger is smarter :).

If you want the charger to cook the burgers for you though.. I think you’ll waiting awhile. It isn’t that smart.

rrrr

Reaction score
While the difference is usually insignificant, all batteries have different levels of impedance.

If you charge multiple batteries in parallel, they will have different charge levels afterwards. This can be measured with a hydrometer if the batteries are lead acid types.

Over time, the repeated charging can result in a larger imbalance, shortening the life of the battery with the highest impedance.

This isn't going to matter much with three batteries though. For example, it applies more to parallel charging of three or more 360 volt series connected batteries of 30 batteries common in large UPS systems.

In other words, it won't hurt your batteries. :confused:

Taboma

Reaction score
Judging by the drawing above, it appears this Marine charger was designed to accommodate parallel batteries hookups rather common in marine applications.
Best bet as 28 Eliminator suggested, call Promariner.
Although this note in their manual seems to answer the question. Regardless if you've got two in parallel or one large 8D house battery, they want that 3rd bank cable connected even if it means two banks connected to a single battery.

Prosport 20.JPG

Advantage 1

Reaction score
@28Eliminator @Taboma @rrrr @LargeOrangeFont @milkmoney

So I just hung up with ProMariner. He told me the correct way to hook up their product is to have each lead to each battery. Everything gets hooked up! For my situation, since no long term plug-in, fine to leave Perko to OFF.

Knowing I will not always be plugged in and maintaining, he advised to let the charge complete and full-cycle. Agreed that am not taking the full advantage of the charger, since I will only plug in when we come out. I am just over disconnecting and taking the batteries home.

Thanks all for the education.

milkmoney

Reaction score
@28Eliminator @Taboma @rrrr @LargeOrangeFont @milkmoney

So I just hung up with ProMariner. He told me the correct way to hook up their product is to have each lead to each battery. Everything gets hooked up! For my situation, since no long term plug-in, fine to leave Perko to OFF.

Knowing I will not always be plugged in and maintaining, he advised to let the charge complete and full-cycle. Agreed that am not taking the full advantage of the charger, since I will only plug in when we come out. I am just over disconnecting and taking the batteries home.

Thanks all for the education.
First of all. I don't get notifications to put that @ symbol and next time I better be first [emoji6] [emoji202] [emoji106]

Advantage 1

Reaction score
First of all. I don't get notifications to put that @ symbol and next time I better be first [emoji6] [emoji202] [emoji106]

Really? Tapawhore doesn't tell you?

Best for last