WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Battery operated weedwhacker?

waterhorse

Reaction score
What the go to brand? Simple string line replacement and maybe compatible batt with other cordless tools.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Are you looking for one without a cord that plugs into the wall or one that uses something other than string to do the cutting?

waterhorse

Reaction score
Are you looking for one without a cord that plugs into the wall or one that uses something other than string to do the cutting?
Battery operated, and simple string line replacement.

sintax

Reaction score
I dont know if you've already bought into a color of tool yet, but this is the one i'd get.

I like that the quik-lok system lets you also get a hedger / pole saw attachment if you wish

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have a dewalt but I wouldn't recommend it. While it works fine, the motor is down on the bottom so it fills up with grass and dust and you can't use other quick change attachment like you can with the "powerhead" style

Taboma

Reaction score
Since I've got all Makita tools and a bunch of various sized batts, I bought the light weight Makita trimmer. I've got a big gas Echo for my grove duty and just wanted a smaller light version for trimming and edging my lawn. This one extends, retracts and reverses, making it really handy and easy to carry. I've got Makita cordless chain saw, blower, trimmer and dig them all big time --- BUT I didn't get their hedge trimmer, instead going with Black and Decker, because the Makita had to many safety nannies so I couldn't one hand it when necessary.

Taboma

Reaction score
I have a dewalt but I wouldn't recommend it. While it works fine, the motor is down on the bottom so it fills up with grass and dust and you can't use other quick change attachment like you can with the "powerhead" style

Yup, my Makita motor is like that, but I just wanted a small light one for lawn duty, I just blow off the grass around the louvers when I'm done. I've got gas powerhead ones I use for heavy duty grove applications. Way to cumbersome for lawn work.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I have a Dewalt 40V and it’s great. Uses the same battery as my mower and chain saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LC925

Reaction score
I have a set of EGO gardening tools. Weed whacker, blower (used all the time to blow out the drive way or even when camping), mower, hedge trimmer, pole saw for smaller higher to reach branches. They have a main power pole shaft that accepts different ends. Makes it multi use. Batteries last pretty well being 56V.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I don't have a huge yard but I tend to go a little overboard when it comes to power tools. My 36volt one is the real deal and as far as the safety devices on the hedge trimmer I just put a zip tie on the front handle trigger.

123.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I dont know if you've already bought into a color of tool yet, but this is the one i'd get.

I like that the quik-lok system lets you also get a hedger / pole saw attachment if you wish
This is what I recently bought and the edger attachment. I already have a lot of Milwaukee stuff so it makes sense for me. No complaints, but it was my first time mowing a lawn since I was a kid. ( new grass in the backyard and don't want the gardeners contaminating it with weeds)

Nordie

Reaction score
Since I've got all Makita tools and a bunch of various sized batts, I bought the light weight Makita trimmer. I've got a big gas Echo for my grove duty and just wanted a smaller light version for trimming and edging my lawn. This one extends, retracts and reverses, making it really handy and easy to carry. I've got Makita cordless chain saw, blower, trimmer and dig them all big time --- BUT I didn't get their hedge trimmer, instead going with Black and Decker, because the Makita had to many safety nannies so I couldn't one hand it when necessary.

Lol mine ended up in the trash can, I had the same one until the damn string wouldn't come out. It took a high speed flight across the yard. I'm buying the next model up, still Makita seeing as I have like 20 batteries.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I have the full suite of Ryobi 40v products from Home Depot. Same battery for everything. The weedwacker changes into an edger in about 5 seconds. Really good battery life but I (and a couple friends) have had issues with the chargers. Otherwise very happy with it.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I have the full suite of Ryobi 40v products from Home Depot. Same battery for everything. The weedwacker changes into an edger in about 5 seconds. Really good battery life but I (and a couple friends) have had issues with the chargers. Otherwise very happy with it.

Same here. At this point I have their 40v Weed Eater, Hedge Trimmer, Leaf Blower, and Chain Saw. Can't go wrong when you always have full batteries.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I have Makita weed wacker and love it. I also have a dozen or so other Makita tools so I have lots of batteries for them too.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We have the Ryobi battery and the stihl gas

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I have the echo with speed feed trimmer head. It’s a game changer when you need to add new line. Overall it’s an awesome battery powered tool. But runs outta juice if your not done in an action packed 1/2 hour.

The speed feed alone is worth it.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
I have the worx trimmer. Came with a blower and two batteries. Also have the drill too that came with two batteries. So plenty of batteries and I now buy the string cartridges on amazon in a large pack. Easy to change and lasts a while.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
I went Milwaukee and it’s a beast. Their blower is sweet too, but could have an extension for the nozzle.

2Driver

Reaction score
Sthil has a nice family of e products all working off the same battery. I have the chainsaw and its amazing. I used it to cut up a 45’ tall saguaro. I wish I had their eblower now vs my sthil gas blower.

Taboma

Reaction score
I have the echo with speed feed trimmer head. It’s a game changer when you need to add new line. Overall it’s an awesome battery powered tool. But runs outta juice if your not done in an action packed 1/2 hour.

The speed feed alone is worth it.

I'll have to see if I can buy a retro-fit speed feed for my older echo whacker.
After ten years of seasonal use and abuse in my grove, using old pre-mixed ethanol gas (Albeit with stabilizer) and no real love given, it started running only with the choke partially on.
Rather than screw with it, I bought a Hipa Carb kit for under $ 16 on Amazon, comes with new fuel lines and primer bulb. Bought a new plug, swapped carbs and fuel line parts, fired it up, a couple of screw turns and it runs like brand new again.
Only pain in the ass is the old string style feed head, otherwise the thing is a weed eating bitch.

mobldj

Reaction score
less your trimming sage brush i have the worx.works great and actually feeds like its suppose to.hate the fucking trimmers where your always fucking with the feed line.lol

DWC

Reaction score
What the go to brand? Simple string line replacement and maybe compatible batt with other cordless tools.
Milwaukee, Makita or Dewalt if you want comparability with pro grade tools. Ryobi 18v product will work fine, their tools are less expensive but i wouldn’t suggest for the job site. Ego product is solid but doesn’t have power tool crossover. Ryobi 40v is very similar. Good power and are adding a ton of additional products but garden focused.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Ryobi 40v .. damm thing will chop down a small tree if I asked it to! 🤣

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
less your trimming sage brush i have the worx.works great and actually feeds like its suppose to.hate the fucking trimmers where your always fucking with the feed line.lol

+1 on this, I've got one just to trim up around the edges of the lawn. I charge it about twice a summer, "worx" great and yes, it feeds properly.