WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Battery upgrade question

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I currently have two Energizer deep cycle battery's in my boat. They start great when fully charged. I have them on a perky switch, as I am running one 1kw amp, and one 1500w amp for my stereo system. I get about 90 minutes play time on the beach one one batt, as I want to save the 2nd batt for starting. These 496's don't like to start when the batt is a bit low. Lol. I want to add a 3rd batt just for starting, so I can run my stereo on both Energizer batts, for longer run time, and not have to worry about ever being dead in the water.
I am looking at getting an Optima Blue Top for my starting batt. My question, is which one? Do I go with the D34M, at 750cca w/100min reserve,or the 34M at 800cca w/ 120 min reserve. Or does it really matter?

boataholic

Reaction score
I have a mixed opinion on the optima batteries. I have always had them and they use to last me a few years. The last two I have purchased both went bad within 2 years.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I've had great luck with interstates. I only have 6 6x9s and an amp running them but I've ran my radio all day and have never had them die. They are about 3 years old but I do keep them maintained on an onboard charger.

I'm sorry that didn't answer any of your question though. Lol

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Cca don't matter. The general rule here is the higher the amp hours the battery provides, the longer it'll last powering your system. There's an actual calculation to this....Don't have a link on hand but it has to do with the amps output amperage and the batteries amp hour rating. Also, you want to match batteries if possible. If your not running a battery isolator like one that blue sea systems offers, you can potentially fry your batteries for them not charging equally when on

Edit: disregard that....I over look the part where your looking for a starter not audio battery lol. Sorry

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Or should I stick a third Energizer and call it a day, and save some money?

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
^^this...

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. I can now put both of my stereo batts on "2" and put my new starter batt on "1" ? The new batt will have the positive going to the starter, and its own ground to the block.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That is what I would do. Set up the 2 audio batteries in parallel. You can probably reuse most of the stock wiring. I don't know where your batteries sit but it may be easier to add a battery to your audio side in parallel than wire up a new number 1 starting battery.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Here is a drawing of how my two batts are wired now, and how I think the new setup should be wired. Let me know if I am correct on the new setup. Where would I now connect the 8ga wire that comes from the harness? I assume it's to power the main harness and dash. Should it go to the Common on the switch, so it would be powered on either switch choice?

How it is configured now
IMG_2301.jpg

How I think I should change it too?
IMG_2324.jpg