WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BBC combustion chamber size

69hondo

Reaction score
I am getting frustraited waiting on my heads and am looking at just buying new ones
Right now I have GM 088 rectangular port heads. From my old Mortec information they have a 118cc combustion chamber.
I am looking at these World products heads and they are 199cc chambers. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrl-030620-2/make/chevrolet
Will the 1cc make a difference? Procharger M1 force fed 468 chevy fuel injected.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
If buying assembled, I would BE warry of valve materials and spring pressures.
If buying bare Ron Sporl Performance (Bessemer, Al) has several runner lengths of Merlin heads available, also does quality work on fully assembled. He has good pricing also.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Unless you actually CC the chambers, you don't know they are 118 and 119 respectively. Minute difference won't hurt at all.
Do you have any experience whith those heads? Are they really any better than my 008 GM iron heads?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Do you have any experience whith those heads? Are they really any better than my 008 GM iron heads?
What size boat, how much boost, and how many RPM? If anything, you might want to consider a head with smaller runner volume for the 468. I just built a pair of 489 cu in Procharger engines running Brodix Race Rite aluminum heads. Close your eyes now,, oval port! I am trying to finish writing up the builds on these engines to post online, but customer is thrilled with them in his 32' Spectra.

Forgot to mention, I have two used sets of the Merlin iron heads here at my shop.

69hondo

Reaction score
What size boat, how much boost, and how many RPM? If anything, you might want to consider a head with smaller runner volume for the 468. I just built a pair of 489 cu in Procharger engines running Brodix Race Rite aluminum heads. Close your eyes now,, oval port! I am trying to finish writing up the builds on these engines to post online, but customer is thrilled with them in his 32' Spectra.

Forgot to mention, I have two used sets of the Merlin iron heads here at my shop.
27ft boat 5-7 lbs 5000rpm.

Don't know if it matters but a little more info. Not stroked but has Crower 6.385 rods, Ross pistons. Small cam. I can't remember the specs but I can get them to you tomorrow. M1 procharger. 80lb injectors. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Nick

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
27ft boat 5-7 lbs 5000rpm.

Don't know if it matters but a little more info. Not stroked but has Crower 6.385 rods, Ross pistons. Small cam. I can't remember the specs but I can get them to you tomorrow. M1 procharger. 80lb injectors. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Nick
Based on my customer's comments about his new engines, the oval ports were a great choice for his combination. 5000 rpm would not require rectangular port heads., and the Race Rite ovals I used would probably fill the bill for you, or perhaps another brand since heads are difficult to find right now.

69hondo

Reaction score
Based on my customer's comments about his new engines, the oval ports were a great choice for his combination. 5000 rpm would not require rectangular port heads., and the Race Rite ovals I used would probably fill the bill for you, or perhaps another brand since heads are difficult to find right now.
Merc efi intake manifold is rectangle.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
088’s are not bad heads. Came on the HP500’s, 325cc runners. I did a set years ago. Match port, pocket and chamber work, and put 11/32” valves in them. They flowed pretty good, and ran hard….. until one dropped a seat 😬.

I have flow sheets for them around somewhere if your interested.

69hondo

Reaction score
Well finally got some information that my 088 heads are good, seat is fixed and should be done soon. We shall see as I have heard that before. LOL