WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BC: C.Y.A?: Fox's Log Book:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
BC:
Sitting at Fox's bar, I notice sometime the bartenders log in people with un-local ID's (Drivers Licenses and Passports) and customers that look younger than 21 get booked too.

Is the log book a cover-your-ass dealio of some sort?
Never seen it anyplace else.

Don't really understand how it helps.
Does it take the risk off Fox's & put liability back on the customer somehow?

rivergames

Reaction score
I know exactly what your talking about and I asked Jason what that was for. He gave me the answer but at that point it went in one ear and out the other as i was looking at some chicks playing tonsil hockey on the stripper pole. Damn ADD :beer:thumbsup

Ratso

Reaction score
We are trying to get a private club open, and everybody has to have a membership, valid Texas ID etc. If they are questionable or we think it might be someone with TABC trying to set us up, they won't get in. You can also get machines, either in house or set up through another company and swipe the person's ID through it, but it's all about covering your ass.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The real question is how long were you sitting there and did they log you in?? :D :beer

I open and close the place.:beer
Fox's and the Marlin Club in Avalon,, my favorites.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I haven't seen the log book in years.. I didn't think you could use them anymore.

I know all the bars used to have them, and if you didn't have an I.D. you could sign the book stating you were over 21?

RD

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I know exactly what your talking about and I asked Jason what that was for. He gave me the answer but at that point it went in one ear and out the other as i was looking at some chicks playing tonsil hockey on the stripper pole. Damn ADD :beer:thumbsup

One time similar girls at Fox's walked around the bar & put a lip loc on the wife. Damn,, it was errotic.:beer

We are trying to get a private club open, and everybody has to have a membership, valid Texas ID etc. If they are questionable or we think it might be someone with TABC trying to set us up, they won't get in. You can also get machines, either in house or set up through another company and swipe the person's ID through it, but it's all about covering your ass.

It's a violation that stays with your Biz for life it seems. Worth being diligent about.

Only 2 kinds of bars in Cali . I never realized it until my bar owning friends told me:
Under 30 crowd and over 30 crowd kinda bars.

The under 30 crowd (aka fightclubs) = makes the big cash, but the fights and underage drinking are a constant issue.

The over 30 crowd = less cashflow and longer business hours, but overall less headaches.

ROC (Roc's Firehouse) & Jason (Sunset Terrace) mentioned their cocktail waitresses & hot bartenders make far more money than they do BTW.

Was in Fox's years ago, (I think it was pre-Spencer Fox's, maybe RR I forget), and they served some 17 year old girls.
The girls later left, got stopped before Buckskin,, and the LEOS came back and hooked up the bartender.

A local girl I know runs a almost successful over 30 bar, but she told us she can't get the employee stealing under control.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
A couple years back we were there eating lunch on the Dock and they wrote us down in the book. I asked and was told that they just note that parents have kids with them and were eating. Justifies the kids being on the dock.

I did not give it a second thought.

Actually I have never been there...:D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
A local girl I know runs a almost successful over 30 bar, but she told us she can't get the employee stealing under control.

A well seasoned bartender can rob you blind right in front of your eyes and you will never see it. These bastards have there tricks down so well it would blow your mind. If there drawer comes up even money they are stealing. I had a bar for about a year and was never able to get my liquor cost below 21%, not bad but not good. If things are tight you should be around 18% when it would get to 23% I would literally have to sit at the bar and watch them pour. Its a game and the employees are extremely good at it.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
My shop used to be right next to a club, I got to be pretty good buddies with the old retired ironworker that owned the place.
Every now and then he would ask me to fill in when they were short a bartender.
(Damn near all his employees were family (and drunks) and they often left the old man hangin)
Sometimes on slow nights I'd get board and try out ideas for new shots :hmm :D

One day, in his voice so raspy it was at times hard to understand.... the old boy says:
"Hey buddy, how come on nights that you're swamped.....you only have one or two "mis-pours",
but on a real slow night .......you have a whole bunch of 'em?"

:D

MoVal Tim

Reaction score
One day, in his voice so raspy it was at times hard to understand.... the old boy says:
"Hey buddy, how come on nights that you're swamped.....you only have one or two "mis-pours",
but on a real slow night .......you have a whole bunch of 'em?"

Imagine that!:hmm:rolleyes:

D

Deleted Account

A couple years back we were there eating lunch on the Dock and they wrote us down in the book. I asked and was told that they just note that parents have kids with them and were eating. Justifies the kids being on the dock.

I did not give it a second thought.

Actually I have never been there...:D

Nice avatar there smokey...:D

D

Deleted Account

A well seasoned bartender can rob you blind right in front of your eyes and you will never see it. These bastards have there tricks down so well it would blow your mind. If there drawer comes up even money they are stealing. I had a bar for about a year and was never able to get my liquor cost below 21%, not bad but not good. If things are tight you should be around 18% when it would get to 23% I would literally have to sit at the bar and watch them pour. Its a game and the employees are extremely good at it.

Roadhouse?:D:D "You're the bouncers and I'm the cooler...":D

D

Deleted Account

Parker is also closed. :)

Havasu is open. Go there. Really. It's perfect.:D

I can't even remember what happened the last time I was there. Glad I was the rope boy instead of the driver kid...:D

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
I had my own bar for 5 years. I fired more people than I can remember. Even the favorite bartenders that you trust develop bad habits that screw up their drawers. I got called on it when I worked at a club for people that you don't fool with. My boss(sargent at arms)stayed with me all night to watch and I still came up wrong.
For the most part, you're lucky if they only give away booze....

Riverratrob

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a Chiropractor one of his patience owned a bar and was telling him that on fri sat his bar did just okay after he hired 2 smokin women bartenders ,this goes on for about a few months so he ask's one of his buddys to go watch his bar both nights .When monday rolls around his buddy reports to him that the whole time he was there that the girls never put there hands in either cash register.Well the only problem with that was he had only one cash register in the bar,wow :eek: that is creative

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Every club I have went too in the last 5 years has either scaned the bar code of my DL or taken a picture of it... I always assumed its a CYA move, but I would also bet they use it as marketing...

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Probably a CYA thing. Most stores that deal a lot of liquor (Circle K or liquor store types) now use scanners for driver's licenses. They swipe the card and read the mag strip on the back. License info can be forged on the front, but the scanner doesn't lie.

Maybe Fox's has that now, and are writing down info on those that don't or can't scan. Out of state, Military IDs, etc.

I haven't heard anything on AZ Liquor Control cracking down, but it's a possibility.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I was told, by a bar owner, that Bars & Clubs aren't allowed to use your ID/DL info for marketing or solicitation purposes. I've never had my info written down in a log, but I've had it scanned/swiped more times than I could count. Probably because my pic on my DL was taken when I was 15 :rolleyes:

In college I ran the refreshment stand during parties. On Sunday everyone would bitch at me that we didn't break even. I told them, "then have your loser friends pay like all the other randoms focks." Several weeks during the next party later I made the leaches pay. I caught hell for it that night, but eventually they gave in, and low & behold not only did we break even, we also made a profit :hmm