WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Be careful AIR BNB people

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
So my son has a high school acquaintance thats in and out of jail. Just got out and called my son said he isnt drug dealing anymore wow thats great. Then offers him a new washer and dryer for 400 clearly worth way more than that by his explanation. Now what he does is makes credit cards in the trunk of his car rents an AIR BNB for a week with the stolen credit card number. Spends the week there and on the last day has a garage sale and sells everything in the house for cash now thats messed up in a big way. Be careful out there if your doing AIR BNB or the like.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
wow you get to live in a nice house for a week and then you get to make money at the end? What a freaking win.

doesnt get much lower than that. I always treat my rentals way better than my own home.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Should only be able to do that once before Airbnb has to pay out on their $1M insurance policy to cover damages and block him....unless he creates a new ID and signup account for every rental.....

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My Grandfather (RIP) used to always tell me that for every $1 you make there are a dozen people trying to figure out how to get it from you. I actually think the number is higher, Fock thieves.

4Waters

Reaction score
How the hell can a daily renter sell everything at a garage sale without a neighbor not noticing something suspicious?
Neighbors aren't neighbors anymore. Several years ago a lady has her 57 Belair convertible stolen out of her garage in broad daylight in Burbank, a neighbor's security cams cought the asshole's pushing the car by the house and into a trailer all the while the guy across the street watched while he was watering his lawn. He didn't call the cops write anything down, nothing.

wet hull

Reaction score
Guess I will ne putting some exterior cameras up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So, the guy's not dealing anymore...but still a tweaker. There are other ways to hustle....

Only rented my old pad twice...a lovely retired couple from Canada.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
On the one hand you have to admire is inginuity...That's a whole new level creativity in theft.

On the other, there needs to be a way to retun him to the penitentiary where he belongs.

Reaction score
How the hell can a daily renter sell everything at a garage sale without a neighbor not noticing something suspicious?

I'm not really a fan of Air BnB, if they were doing it next door to my home, and renting the place out to crack addicts, and who knows what!!!

I'd probably buy the good stuff, before the word got out. :)
(just kidding)

ilmormark

Reaction score
I did inform the authorities they didnt seem to care

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I did inform the authorities they didnt seem to care

Funny how that works. I’m not sure how investigations get opened, but it never seems to be from citizen reports or complaints.

A girl I know had a boyfriend about 10 years ago that did something similar. He would dumpster dive at hotels and retrieve those massive folded printer copy’s of credit card transactions. Like a phone book size with literally thousands of names and CC numbers. I don’t know if hotels still print those out, but he damn sure had them back then. He would call stores and order shit to pick up saying the CC owner was his boss and it was company purchase. He would have an accomplice answer a contact number as the fake business owner if they chose to verify his story.
He didn’t nickel and dime it either.
He bought $5000 Welder’s and stuff of that nature.
His enclosed garage at his townhouse never had less than $50K of equipment inventory in it. I could not believe the way he operated with almost no concern and complete impunity. An he had no trouble selling the shit either. People seem to suddenly become pretty flexible in their ethics and morals when looking at a brand new piece of equipment for half the price.
He finally did go to jail, but it was not as cut and dried as you might think.

I asked him once if we was worried about all the stolen shit in his garage. He said “what stolen shit, I have a reciept for everything”
Well, yeah, but with stolen credit cards.
He said “what stolen credit cards, I haven’t had a credit card of any kind in my hands ever”.

It took a long time to build a case against him and arrest him.

Mototrig

Reaction score
This guy needs a beat down in the worst way. That's pretty brave (or dumb) of him to sell the stuff out in the open like that. It's only a matter of time before he's caught.

I use VRBO quite a but at the river up near Budweiser Rd. Assholes

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Funny how that works. I’m not sure how investigations get opened, but it never seems to be from citizen reports or complaints.

A girl I know had a boyfriend about 10 years ago that did something similar. He would dumpster dive at hotels and retrieve those massive folded printer copy’s of credit card transactions. Like a phone book size with literally thousands of names and CC numbers. I don’t know if hotels still print those out, but he damn sure had them back then. He would call stores and order shit to pick up saying the CC owner was his boss and it was company purchase. He would have an accomplice answer a contact number as the fake business owner if they chose to verify his story.
His enclosed garage at his townhouse never had less than $50K of equipment inventory in it. I could not believe the way he operated with almost no concern and complete impunity. An he had no trouble selling the shit either. People seem to suddenly become pretty flexible in their ethics and morals when looking at a brand new piece of equipment for half the price.

I asked him once if we was worried about all the stolen shit in his garage. He said “what stolen shit, I have a reciept for everything”
He said “what stolen credit cards, I haven’t had a credit card of any kind in my hands ever”.

If I had a dollar for every time some jack ass offered me stolen tools I could retire. Brand new airless that sell for 5k, for 1... a walk behind concrete saw for $200 a still in the box/ pallet power magic table saw for $1k. All of these since the 1st of the year.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for every time some jack ass offered me stolen tools I could retire. Brand new airless that sell for 5k, for 1... a walk behind concrete saw for $200 a still in the box/ pallet power magic table saw for $1k. All of these since the 1st of the year.

Oh yeah I have no doubt. That’s exactly what he did, targeting small start up contractors as buyers.

ilmormark

Reaction score
House was burglarized many years ago by a guy in Corona they caught up with him cause he tried to sell some of my valuable 2.00 bills. They couldnt get him for coming into the house but they got him for receiving stolen property and he spent 9 months in jail.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Thieves suck...………………. I just saw an article that I can't find again. Here its legal to be a prostitute and advertise your services. Apparently out of town hookers are using air bnb's to work out of here.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Years ago a friend of a friend, dipshit used to by beaters that needed everything. go rent a similar new car from Avis or wherever...
spend the weekend in the garage swapping brakes, tires, exhaust, engine parts.... whatever..... return the rental at the busy airport... they dont know !!
and sell the beater for way more $$$ with new parts running well.....
Larceny at its most creative !
I recall he made good $$$.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
So my son has a high school acquaintance thats in and out of jail. Just got out and called my son said he isnt drug dealing anymore wow thats great. Then offers him a new washer and dryer for 400 clearly worth way more than that by his explanation. Now what he does is makes credit cards in the trunk of his car rents an AIR BNB for a week with the stolen credit card number. Spends the week there and on the last day has a garage sale and sells everything in the house for cash now thats messed up in a big way. Be careful out there if your doing AIR BNB or the like.

I think we all knew at least one guy like that in high school. I went to a few diff high schools so I knew a few.

A couple of years ago air BNB started requiring a photo of your DL and screen grab photo snapshot with a date so fuckheads wouldn't get away with that.

They also do a card capture prior to a rental so it isnt quite so easy to get away with all that anymore.

UD

DaveH

Reaction score

yet police have the time and resources to setup surveillance on a massage parlor for consensual acts. why is it we accept law enforcement that has their prioities completely out of whack?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
yet police have the time and resources to setup surveillance on a massage parlor for consensual acts. why is it we accept law enforcement that has their prioities completely out of whack?
And I have a neighbor that stole 6k worth of stereo parts from me and they won't do a thing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

It seems that cops are extremely hesitant to enter into a situation that is an investigation scenario.
Maybe one of the Leo on here can educate us on what it takes to initiate an investigation?
Cops can’t just walk in and arrest someone for a criminal enterprise without an investigation by one or more divisions...it seems?
And if they did, most likely a lot of evidence building a case would be lost.
In all the scenarios in this thread you are looking at theft division, fraud division, and who knows what else.

nowski

Reaction score
Somewhat similar story on the news the other day with the exception being the renters were stealing the contents of the rental not selling...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Oh yeah I have no doubt. That’s exactly what he did, targeting small start up contractors as buyers.
Still drives me nuts. I got wiped out 11 years ago. They broke into my garage and cleaned it out I lost 60k in 1 day. The insurance paid, but it took me at least 5 years too buy everything.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That's BS!! Fu#$k up.

Yes it is.
But the bottom line seems to be that regular cops are NOT going to wade into the middle of what would be an investigation unless there was an altercation in progress...more or less.

2Driver

Reaction score
I would have to be broke, out of food, ammo and ideas before I ever rented out my house to the general public.

cakemoto

Reaction score
Neighbors aren't neighbors anymore. Several years ago a lady has her 57 Belair convertible stolen out of her garage in broad daylight in Burbank, a neighbor's security cams cought the asshole's pushing the car by the house and into a trailer all the while the guy across the street watched while he was watering his lawn. He didn't call the cops write anything down, nothing.

Just like dr Phil’s bel air at that half ass shop rodz.

Bear Down

Reaction score
On the one hand you have to admire is inginuity...That's a whole new level creativity in theft.QUOTE]

I was told once that if you want to figure out a short cut to any job to either copy it or exploit the flaw is to put the laziest person on the task, they will always figure out a way to cheat the system.

Dana757

Reaction score
That happened to my sister. Not via ABB but just a bad renter. They stole everything. Washer/dryer, fridge, even door knobs were missing. Oh, a burnt out Heisenberg meth lab camper trailer in the back yard. But they did it to the wrong person. My sister is not a biker, she's an outlaw biker. Needless to say, it got handled and she got most of it back.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
That happened to my sister. Not via ABB but just a bad renter. They stole everything. Washer/dryer, fridge, even door knobs were missing. Oh, a burnt out Heisenberg meth lab camper trailer in the back yard. But they did it to the wrong person. My sister is not a biker, she's an outlaw biker. Needless to say, it got handled and she got most of it back.
That's cool. The way it should be handled in this country.