WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Beach bags... at Lake Powell

DaveH

Reaction score
spending a lot of time at powell, I find this to be a clever solution.

$1200 a week to rent the bags? GTFO.

as for the bags being "ugly"....gimmie a break. I've seen some boats that are way worse looking than the bags.

saving space is nothing new at Powell. many use their small craft to run ahead and get a spot while the houseboat slowly makes it way up the lake. its common to see people spread their anchor lines as far as possible to take up maximum space or even close off a cove.

with fuel prices sky high...its obvious people wont want to motor these boats far up the lake and I expect crowding in the closer canyons to be worse then ever.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I couldn’t care less about the look. I just know if we come around the corner when looking for a spot and there’s a couple of those bags on a pristine beach I’m gonna have a really hard time just turning around and driving away.

I have clients that pay to have their boat taken out and anchored. They are then given the coordinates and drive their smaller boat out to the location. The net result is exactly the same but at least at that point there’s an actual boat on the beach.

I was about to ask what is the difference in that scenario because I know guys that do this as well..

Lol

I have never done the houseboat thing on powell. Would like to someday if there’s any water left

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I can see these things getting cut open & vandalized just because thats what dicks do.
I can also see lawsuits when kids using these as trampolines end up doing head plants on the soft sandstone.
and I can also see a whole lot of DNA from sport fucking by newer generations that missed the waterbed craze.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I was about to ask what is the difference in that scenario because I know guys that do this as well..

Lol

I have never done the houseboat thing on powell. Would like to someday if there’s any water left

Its actually a great time to be houseboating on Powell. I was just there for a week and the number of sandy beaches available is like never before. There aren't a bunch of obstacles in the water either. Powell is so big and spread out, still didn't feel crowded. This group was across the bay from us, never heard them. Free firework show in the other direction on a couple nights too from some distant houseboats.

Resized_20220614_211929.JPG

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
I thought the CEO's response was thoughtful, respectful and apparently prompt. It's nice to see a reasonable dialogue between people with different opinions. The current "left" folks could learn something from this approach.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score

Lol

It's definitely an experience to remember!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
In your email to this company, did you address the issue of post-use bag retrieval ? I didn't notice anything in that regards in his response.
It would be great if the set-up and take down service was eliminated once all the numbers and engineering is completed. I'm not sure how it could be too complicated for a houseboats group to set them up and use a transfer pump with a long hose to fill them from the houseboat (using lake water obviously).

Taboma

Reaction score
It would be great if the set-up and take down service was eliminated once all the numbers and engineering is completed. I'm not sure how it could be too complicated for a houseboats group to set them up and use a transfer pump with a long hose to fill them from the houseboat (using lake water obviously).
I'm pretty sure this company isn't doing this out of benevolence, and setup and take down "Service" means income, far more than just renting or selling the bags to the various owners or Antelope. Just a thought 😁

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this company isn't doing this out of benevolence, and setup and take down "Service" means income, far more than just renting or selling the bags to the various owners or Antelope. Just a thought 😁
I'm sure. It would definitely better though.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I can see these things getting cut open & vandalized just because thats what dicks do.
I can also see lawsuits when kids using these as trampolines end up doing head plants on the soft sandstone.
and I can also see a whole lot of DNA from sport fucking by newer generations that missed the waterbed craze.

A whole nother meaning to "slap the thigh and ride the wave in" 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
So is NPS putting #’s on the camps with the bags and selling the spaces to the owners of the bags? Does the bag owner then rent the space to the houseboat owners?
We have owned a houseboat for 21 years and sometimes finding a beach has been a challenge but we have always found something. When looking for a beach we have run across small boats beached with nobody around, that kinda lets you know a houseboat is on the way. Or you pull up to a beach and as you get close a person is sitting in one loaner chair on the beach. Again a houseboat is on the way.
if I was looking for a beach and only seen these bags that might not have a boat for days show up, those bags would be in a pile somewhere in the weeds and we would be on a nice beach. With holes already drilled😲

Looks like I won’t have to worry about it for a bit. After 21 years of owning a nice houseboat I have decided to sell her, funds get wired to me this Wednesday. This has been a much tougher decision than I thought it ever would be but it is a done deal.
Powell has been our major family summer vacation for 20+ years, my kids spent most of their summers there and most of my grandkids have spent many summers there. It will be missed for sure. But we will be back..

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
So is NPS putting #’s on the camps with the bags and selling the spaces to the owners of the bags? Does the bag owner then rent the space to the houseboat owners?
We have owned a houseboat for 21 years and sometimes finding a beach has been a challenge but we have always found something. When looking for a beach we have run across small boats beached with nobody around, that kinda lets you know a houseboat is on the way. Or you pull up to a beach and as you get close a person is sitting in one loaner chair on the beach. Again a houseboat is on the way.
if I was looking for a beach and only seen these bags that might not have a boat for days show up, those bags would be in a pile somewhere in the weeds and we would be on a nice beach. With holes already drilled😲

Looks like I won’t have to worry about it for a bit. After 21 years of owning a nice houseboat I have decided to sell her, funds get wired to me this Wednesday. This has been a much tougher decision than I thought it ever would be but it is a done deal.
Powell has been our major family summer vacation for 20+ years, my kids spent most of their summers there and most of my grandkids have spent many summers there. It will be missed for sure. But we will be back..
Where were you moored my in-laws are livin' easy on p dock out of wahweep. Congrats on your new chapter.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
We have been dry docked in Page on the Launch/Retrieve program the entire time..