WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bear Market Stock Picks - Investment Opportunities

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know some of you have an ear to the market. Whats some picks to invest long term? If you had 100K sitting, where do we put for safe return? I see that wealthfront is offering 4% for a cash savings account. Is that as good as it gets? I know we don't have crystal balls, but you guys have had some great advice in the past!

DC-88

Reaction score
Short term Schwab t bills - got one over 4.7% around the new year and their regular money market is 4.2 . Long term today... no thanks , maybe SQQQ lol ?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Take a look at Dutch Bros coffee (BROS) I've done very very well

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
You said long term so S&P 500 index funds is the hands down winner for highest return.

T-bills are CA tax exempt income if you are a tax paying CA resident.

You could throw a little at the tech bellweather stocks if have the stomach for it. AMZN. APPL TSLA

I always tell newer or unsophisticated investors to invest in large company dividend paying stocks or pick a mutual fund that does this. It’s probably what you should do with at least half the money.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Got an email from my SIL she says
Citibank is 4.05%
Synchronybank is 3.755%
for a saving account - access your money at any time
Both FDIC insured

CLdrinker

Reaction score
In 5 years people will wish they got in on Apple... AI, Apple Car, Apple TV, Etc. I think it has huge upside. However, I'm just a normal Joe so IDK shit
I don’t know shit. But with Apple being a huge tech company and with he rumors of them getting into the car business in some form. The stock will move upward for sure. If the make an actual car wholly shit it would be printing money.
I also hear they are going after India market share finally.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I am lovin LNG but have owned it since mid 2020.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know some of you have an ear to the market. Whats some picks to invest long term? If you had 100K sitting, where do we put for safe return? I see that wealthfront is offering 4% for a cash savings account. Is that as good as it gets? I know we don't have crystal balls, but you guys have had some great advice in the past!
I'll go with the default answer: Hookers & Blow 🤣

Haha, but seriously with all the economic turmoil coming up later this year I would put my cash into Heavy Metals or Commodities.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Tesla. How many times has Musk outsmarted the system? Tesla has been pronounced dead 100 times over the years and Musk has always come out on top. One very under reported fact is how much Tesla stands to make just from selling power from its superchargers.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If I was looking to get back into the market, I would look really hard at gold miners, silver miners and uranium miners.

Plus dividend stocks that are on sale…or really anything that’s on sale.

Buy when things are cheap.
Sell when things are expensive.
This simple concept is lost on the majority of retail investors.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score

hallett21

Reaction score

BRK B or A😉 has done pretty well over 5-10 years

2Driver

Reaction score
Short term Schwab t bills - got one over 4.7% around the new year and their regular money market is 4.2 . Long term today... no thanks , maybe SQQQ lol ?

That’s what I’ve been rolling. Buying 6 month t bills right now 4.81% and state tax free. If we get a big leg down I’ll pick up Schwab's dividend fund SCHD pays 4% ish and J.P. Morgan’s JEPI fund it pays 11% dividend.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been rolling. Buying 6 month t bills right now 4.81% and state tax free. If we get a big leg down I’ll pick up Schwab's dividend fund SCHD pays 4% ish and J.P. Morgan’s JEPI fund it pays 11% dividend.
where is the best place to buy T-bills? do you need a Schwab acct or can it be done through platforms like E-trade etc?

2Driver

Reaction score
where is the best place to buy T-bills? do you need a Schwab acct or can it be done through platforms like E-trade etc?

I suspect any trading platform trades in open market bonds. Schwab makes it really easy and that’s where a lot of my money is so I just do it there. I can sort, choose and buy a treasury in a few clicks. They track and send me a 1099 and email me a couple weeks before they mature. You can even put them on reinvest where Schwab automatically rebuys, you can also use their ladder tool for starting out.

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Been rolling T-bills since 2driver gave the tip months ago, got a portion in JEPI and CDA'N ON GOOGL,APPL, AND AMZN

yuppie

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't have an all-in / all-out mentality. Build up positions slowly over time using dollar-cost-averaging. Just buy a little bit on a consistent basis until all your capital is deployed. When it comes time to sell, do the same thing, ease out of your position.

My pick: $TSLA

PaPaG

Reaction score
Tesla. How many times has Musk outsmarted the system? Tesla has been pronounced dead 100 times over the years and Musk has always come out on top. One very under reported fact is how much Tesla stands to make just from selling power from its superchargers.
Tesla stock has put a smile on my face that is for sure.

adam909

Reaction score
I love tesla. Ive sold my Tesla and waiting to buy back in.. Tesla hit it good the past few years with so many people jumping in the market with free money as well as being the only EV car on the market.. All the car manufacturers now have there own ev that is cheaper then a Tesla. I know they are more then a ev company but i think there is more downside to come.. Im waiting for it to drop down to 80-85 I feel it could drop all the way to 70

yuppie

Reaction score
I love tesla. Ive sold my Tesla and waiting to buy back in.. Tesla hit it good the past few years with so many people jumping in the market with free money as well as being the only EV car on the market.. All the car manufacturers now have there own ev that is cheaper then a Tesla. I know they are more then a ev company but i think there is more downside to come.. Im waiting for it to drop down to 80-85 I feel it could drop all the way to 70
I agree there could be some more downside in the short term. This is why deploying capital slowly over time is the best long-term strategy. Capture the average price of this whole year and then look for an exit around 2025 and I bet anyone would do well.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I think I had a dream Tesla was in the 80s,
Because when I checked today and it was 120 I was pissed, and trying to figure out what happened? Lol Trying to catch a falling knife….
Are you guys happy with your Schawb accts ? I used to have Wells Trade long time ago.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't have an all-in / all-out mentality. Build up positions slowly over time using dollar-cost-averaging. Just buy a little bit on a consistent basis until all your capital is deployed. When it comes time to sell, do the same thing, ease out of your position.

My pick: $TSLA
Thats my plan. Although the big wins are tempting, Im too much os a wuss. Lol

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Are you guys happy with your Schawb accts ?
Yes, I have had a Schwab acct for 20 plus years without issue. I have also had other big box broker accts without any problem either but for whatever reason my Schwab is my main stay.

2Driver

Reaction score
Are you guys happy with your Schawb accts ? I used to have Wells Trade long time ago.

Yes, they have the main website for your accounts, research, sorting and trading and they have a full blown trading platform called street-smart which I’ve also used.
Supoort is also awesome and you talk to people in the US. They will take what ever time you want to walk you through trades and the website.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
AT&T - dividend is 7%

That makes the 30+% loss more bearable I guess :)

5997636D-26A8-4B71-B929-59F592ACB6A2.jpeg

PaPaG

Reaction score
Because when I checked today and it was 120 I was pissed, and trying to figure out what happened? Lol Trying to catch a falling knife….
If TSLA ever got into the low 80's I would bet the bank and buy all I could (UNLESS there was some serious negative or catastrophic news such as Elons sick, death, or vehicles/batteries started blowing up by the hundreds for no reason) in that case I would not be a buyer lol. Bought and sold it a few times in the last two weeks. :)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yep ATT sucks but that big drop includes spinning off Warner brothers stock which all ATT stock owners recieved. It also sucks LOL but it does account for some on the ATT price

I forgot that, thanks. Sucking less is always better 🤣

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Yep ATT sucks but that big drop includes spinning off Warner brothers stock which all ATT stock owners recieved. It also sucks LOL but it does account for some on the ATT price
ATT sucks that bad. 30% loss adjusted for spin off is correct, sadly. The shares of WBD are off even worse, what a disaster that combo is at the moment. ATT dividend is only thing keeping investors close to even over the five year period. I caution to say it’s a LT position buy at this level.

2Driver

Reaction score
ATT sucks that bad. 30% loss adjusted for spin off is correct, sadly. The shares of WBD are off even worse, what a disaster that combo is at the moment. ATT dividend is only thing keeping investors close to even over the five year period. I caution to say it’s a LT position buy at this level.

Yeah about about on par with the nasdaq huh? . ATT and a handful of other things is why broker was told bye bye.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

One big factor:
Tesla is heavily reliant on sales in China, more than any other market.

And sales have been down, with low numbers continuing for the foreseeable future due to weakness in the Chinese economy.

Plus uncertainty in general for China, due to the CCP’s recent consolidation of power.