WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bee's!!!!

WYRD

Reaction score

So I found these critters living in my water meter box

IMG_7254.jpg
IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7252.jpg

I don't really want to kill them so does anybody have a contact of a keeper that may want them?

WYRD

Reaction score
I don't have info for a keeper but Your location would help
North San Bernardino area

They are very friendly bees not aggressive at all but seem to be smaller than a standard honeybee 🤷‍♂️

WYRD

Reaction score
How did you get them so calm ? Just cold ?
I've been around them when they're active and like I posted above not very aggressive but yes this is first thing in the morning cold and damp outside hardly no movement at all

WYRD

Reaction score
They are workers. Not aggressive
Call any bee removal guy.
They box them and sell by the ounce to honey makers. Really
I reached out to a couple no answer left voicemails just thought I'd try here too 👍 since the brain trust is so vast

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
if they are not stinging you, you can cause them to disperse by placing the meter cover in a bright place with the comb facing the sky - maybe on your roof or some other 'safe' place - overnight. Put a traffic cone or plywood over the meter temporarily (and hope the water company does not come by and no litigious neighbors 'accidentally' fall)

It may take them a few days to figure out they need to find a different place, but they will figure it out. (I did beekeeping when I was younger)

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had a shit ton of bee's move into one of my trees last year. Called out a bee guy and he did his smoke deal. Got rid of them and sealed up the tree. It was around $200 . Gladly paid it as we couldn't even go in our yard..those fuckers would swarm all over us.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
They are workers. Not aggressive
Call any bee removal guy.
They box them and sell by the ounce to honey makers. Really
This. We need calm, non Africanized bees more than people know. Try to find a bee keeper that works with farmers, or look for local/nearby honey farmers.

WYRD

Reaction score
if they are not stinging you, you can cause them to disperse by placing the meter cover in a bright place with the comb facing the sky - maybe on your roof or some other 'safe' place - overnight. Put a traffic cone or plywood over the meter temporarily (and hope the water company does not come by and no litigious neighbors 'accidentally' fall)

It may take them a few days to figure out they need to find a different place, but they will figure it out. (I did beekeeping when I was younger)
Maybe I'll just swap it out with one of the neighbors meter covers two streets over🤣

WYRD

Reaction score
This. We need calm, non Africanized bees more than people know. Try to find a bee keeper that works with farmers, or look for local/nearby honey farmers.
Absolutely my intention is not to kill them I want to relocate them👍

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just swap it out with one of the neighbors meter covers two streets over🤣
dastardly, but it does happen. Let me just say that in my locale these guyswho remove bees want to charge you to remove them, and that is nonsense since they get free slaves to collect nectar and turn it into profitable food. DIY.

Dettom

Reaction score
He doesn’t need any right now, but I thought his reply was dead on..

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
dastardly, but it does happen. Let me just say that in my locale these guyswho remove bees want to charge you to remove them, and that is nonsense since they get free slaves to collect nectar and turn it into profitable food. DIY.

Of course they are going to charge you that's what they do FOR A LIVING!

Setting them on your roof seems much more logical, for them to just move into the eve of your house. Instead of having a professional relocate them.

Also if they are producing bees most beekeepers wont charge to take them!

Ohh and "slaves" not "workers".. noted

I think GMAC is back...🤣🤣🤣

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Of course they are going to charge you that's what they do FOR A LIVING!

Setting them on your roof seems much more logical, for them to just move into the eve of your house. Instead of having a professional relocate them.

Also if they are producing bees most beekeepers wont charge to take them!

Ohh and "slaves" not "workers".. noted

I think GMAC is back...🤣🤣🤣
Dude. I was a beekeeper.
4956_92101513475_3622523_n.jpg
Bees ARE slaves to the queen's pheromones...they know nothing else. I've been through the migrant queen thing as a homeowner three times. The bees relocated themselves on their own, and not anywhere nearby. I do not deny anyone their means for living, but if expediting is easy and pain free if they are not stinging then why not? Why am I getting harshed?

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Absolutely my intention is not to kill them I want to relocate them👍

Your intentions are admirable. As everyone knows, American honey bees are under stress. Their habitat areas are steadily decreasing, while predators and Africanized strains have caused widespread destruction of colonies. The growth of suburban human encroachment and people's indifference to protecting hives discovered in the eaves and attics of dwellings has caused the loss of thousands of colonies. The Verroa mite has been devastating hives for years.

Bees play a critical part in the health and expansion of fruit and nut crops, especially in the almond industry.

Varroa mites (Varroa destructor and V. jacobsoni) are tiny red-brown external parasites of honey bees. Although Varroa mites can feed and live on adult honey bees, they mainly feed and reproduce on larvae and pupae in the developing brood, causing malformation and weakening of honey bees as well as transmitting numerous viruses.

Colonies with low infestation generally show very few symptoms, however as the mite population increases symptoms become more apparent. Heavy Varroa mite infestations can build up in 3–4 years and cause scattered brood, crippled and crawling honey bees, impaired flight performance, a lower rate of return to the colony after foraging, a reduced lifespan and a significantly reduced weight of worker bees. Colony symptoms, commonly called parasitic mite syndrome, include an abnormal brood pattern, sunken and chewed cappings and larvae slumped in the bottom or side of the cell. This ultimately causes a reduction in the honey bee population, supersedure of queen bees and eventual colony breakdown and death.

While getting in my truck one day, I noticed this big blob in a tree outside my office. They were swarming, an activity that follows a new queen and locates a place for a hive. It's one of the coolest nature activities I've witnessed.

12709883694_f28037c036_z.jpg

12709862274_b771aa2da5_z.jpg

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
I sent a couple text's out to 2 customers that play with bee's. I'll let you know if their interested and can "bee" of help.

wzuber

Reaction score
so I got a reply already with a potentially interested party. I'll pm you his info.

Groper

Reaction score
I sent a couple text's out to 2 customers that play with bee's. I'll let you know if their interested and can "bee" of help.
If you're guys can't make it I gotta a guy(s).

wzuber

Reaction score
Thanks for that consideration but I see no reason for him to wait on my guy. Give him your guys info and he can choose who he prefers to deal with himself. Hopefully he can get this rectified quickly.

4Waters

Reaction score
Thanks for that consideration but I see no reason for him to wait on my guy. Give him your guys info and he can choose who he prefers to deal with himself. Hopefully he can get this rectified quickly.
^^this^^
Maybe nobody in his house is allergic to bees some kid riding their bike over the top of the lid might be, it should get taken care of ASAP

WYRD

Reaction score
Absolutely send them all there's enough bees for each of them lol.
I'm going to start with animal control in the morning since it's in there cities right of way. If that didn't work I'll call the guys suggested here 👍

wzuber

Reaction score
^^this^^
Maybe nobody in his house is allergic to bees some kid riding their bike over the top of the lid might be, it should get taken care of ASAP
Good point/mention, maybe a cone or a temporary warning sign for peeps walking by etc? Those allergic reaction bee stings can get dicey quickly.

Groper

Reaction score
Pm sent hopefully these guys can take care of right away.

wzuber

Reaction score
I'm going to start with animal control in the morning since it's in there cities right of way. If that didn't work I'll call the guys suggested here 👍

word! haha

Taboma

Reaction score
Neighbor a few years back called the water district, since it was in their box. Guy comes out, pops the lid, stands back and empties a couple of cans of Hornet spray in it --- closes the lid, he's gone.
Another widow neighbor calls the fire department because she's got a rattler by her back door that won't leave voluntarily. Fireman shows up, walks back and wacks it with a shovel, tosses it over the bank and leaves.
In both cases, the neighbors were surprised, seems they were expecting more humane solutions. 😂

rrrr

Reaction score

They'll kill them.

WYRD

Reaction score
So I called the city an they basically said fu. I did reach out to a couple of the names PMed to me and seems the going cost was about 2 to $300. Last minute I decided to check with my pest control guy, I hadn't checked with him before cuz I figured he would just exterminate them. Turns out he's an amateur beekeeper just getting started into it so he's going to come rescue them and it's all included as part of my annual pest control bill 👍

Thank you to everybody who posted up suggestions and contacts greatly appreciated:cool:

C-2

Reaction score
I had two Africanized hives removed last year, it cost me $500, but I had to do it because they got me a few times and I couldn't cut the weeds down (rural property where I keep horses). They are no joke. My neighbor owns a pest control company and had offered to take exterminate them for free, but I tried doing the right thing by relocating them. The hives were old, like 15+ years.

A beekeeper came over and when I heard him say "oh, shit!" I was outta there. They were so mean that we had to lock the neighborhood down for a few hours. I was watching from a football field away and got attacked; took one to my nose and the bee keepers son got hit in the forehead and on his hand.

The beekeeper took the bees but said he had to destroy them, in his 25-years of keeping he had never seen such aggressive bees.

Recently I saw another neighbor running around with arms flailing about and rolling around on the ground...I think he has some too, lol.

D19

Reaction score
Your intentions are admirable. As everyone knows, American honey bees are under stress. Their habitat areas are steadily decreasing, while predators and Africanized strains have caused widespread destruction of colonies. The growth of suburban human encroachment and people's indifference to protecting hives discovered in the eaves and attics of dwellings has caused the loss of thousands of colonies. The Verroa mite has been devastating hives for years.

Bees play a critical part in the health and expansion of fruit and nut crops, especially in the almond industry.

Varroa mites (Varroa destructor and V. jacobsoni) are tiny red-brown external parasites of honey bees. Although Varroa mites can feed and live on adult honey bees, they mainly feed and reproduce on larvae and pupae in the developing brood, causing malformation and weakening of honey bees as well as transmitting numerous viruses.

Colonies with low infestation generally show very few symptoms, however as the mite population increases symptoms become more apparent. Heavy Varroa mite infestations can build up in 3–4 years and cause scattered brood, crippled and crawling honey bees, impaired flight performance, a lower rate of return to the colony after foraging, a reduced lifespan and a significantly reduced weight of worker bees. Colony symptoms, commonly called parasitic mite syndrome, include an abnormal brood pattern, sunken and chewed cappings and larvae slumped in the bottom or side of the cell. This ultimately causes a reduction in the honey bee population, supersedure of queen bees and eventual colony breakdown and death.

While getting in my truck one day, I noticed this big blob in a tree outside my office. They were swarming, an activity that follows a new queen and locates a place for a hive. It's one of the coolest nature activities I've witnessed.

12709883694_f28037c036_z.jpg

12709862274_b771aa2da5_z.jpg

I had this happen at my home in Costa Mesa. It was a sight to see. I was finding scouts in the house. They were headed for my attic and coming in the house through the can lights.

Had them at another home in Brea that I sold a few years ago. Garage walls were packed with honey comb about 6ft wide to top and bottom.

I used Bee Man both times and they were great