WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bench running a 6 hp.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Maynard has a 55 lb 6hp Nissan on his dingy and I'll need to bench run it in a trash can of fresh water to flush the salt from it.

Any bench set-ups you guys have concocted to the hang the motor from to do this?

ya never know what clever gizmo you hard-ons come up with.

Thanks for any tips and tales.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
for our old Dinghy motor we used a dolly and bolted a bord up towards the top. that way we could easily move it around our storage. Worked great and fitting a trash can underneath to run it wouldnt have been an issue.

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
I used to use a 55 gallon steel drum. The clamp on portion will hold it to the drum.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
:thumbsup
It's off to Harbor Freight,,,,,

Thanks.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Maynard has a 55 lb 6hp Nissan on his dingy and I'll need to bench run it in a trash can of fresh water to flush the salt from it.

Any bench set-ups you guys have concocted to the hang the motor from to do this?

ya never know what clever gizmo you hard-ons come up with.

Thanks for any tips and tales.

When I rebuilt my 200 Merc I didn't have any of the clamp on ears,, so I used a large size plastic storage tub to do the fire up,, but if the idea is to remove salt water, don't you need to dump the cooling water instead of mixing it back into the barrel?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my 200 Merc I didn't have any of the clamp on ears,, so I used a large size plastic storage tub to do the fire up,, but if the idea is to remove salt water, don't you need to dump the cooling water instead of mixing it back into the barrel?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Can't you just hook it up to a dolly then put the ear muff things on the bottom/inlet and run the hose with fresh water through it? Let the water coming out drain to where ever.

We used to run my dads 5hp johnson on a cheap dolly in a 55 gallon trash can everyonce in a while but that was more just to fire it up from time to time.