WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Berkeley 12-JC rebuild help

Nikwho

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've got a '74 Tahiti Super Tiger. Currently has a pretty healthy Olds 455 and a Berkeley 12-JC pump, with hydraulic Place Diverter. Turns about 5200 @ 65 MPH.

I am building a Gen 5 502, roller cam, tunnel ram, forged rotating assbly, Brodix "Big Brodie" BB-2 aluminum heads. Still working out where I'll land power wise. Will depend on final compression ratio and cam/fuel choice. (pump gas vs. 100 octane) I know that I need to upgrade my pump. I'm trying to not rush my engine build, so thought that I could get a jump start on building my pump, over the winter.

How close do I need to know my final horsepower number to choose pump parts? My power level will ultimately land between 650 to 800 HP. Big spectrum, I know! So, if need be, I can start collecting all of the parts for the rebuild, aside from impeller, if I need to know more precise power before choosing impeller.

But, I would like to build the pump myself. If there are any critical machining processes that need to happen, I will leave that to the pros. Contemplating setting back the pump, but unsure at the moment. Will likely leave that for next winter, either way. Will perhaps look at having intake machined for shoe and ride plate at that point in time. But, as far as this winter is concerned, I will focus on the pump above the intake. Would like to find a split bowl for rebuild, so I have the option to add a droop or shims, if the boat wants it later on.

I'm new to building Berkeley pumps, but have rebuilt a few fire apparatus pumps, which are quite similar. So, regarding getting this pump freshened up and ready for more horsepower, what considerations do I need to look at aside from a hardened shaft, replacing u-joints in driveline and choosing impeller?

Nikwho

Reaction score
Here's my boat.

Attachments

• 20211016_162642.jpg
    20211016_162642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Wear ring, bowl machining, tolerance, you will need to know what impeller to do all that, matter of fact it is best if you have the exact impeller you are going to use to set the pump up to its fullest potential. You'll definitely want an inducer. At 800hp I would probably add a jetaway also. Jmo

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've got a '74 Tahiti Super Tiger. Currently has a pretty healthy Olds 455 and a Berkeley 12-JC pump, with hydraulic Place Diverter. Turns about 5200 @ 65 MPH.

I am building a Gen 5 502, roller cam, tunnel ram, forged rotating assbly, Brodix "Big Brodie" BB-2 aluminum heads. Still working out where I'll land power wise. Will depend on final compression ratio and cam/fuel choice. (pump gas vs. 100 octane) I know that I need to upgrade my pump. I'm trying to not rush my engine build, so thought that I could get a jump start on building my pump, over the winter.

How close do I need to know my final horsepower number to choose pump parts? My power level will ultimately land between 650 to 800 HP. Big spectrum, I know! So, if need be, I can start collecting all of the parts for the rebuild, aside from impeller, if I need to know more precise power before choosing impeller.

But, I would like to build the pump myself. If there are any critical machining processes that need to happen, I will leave that to the pros. Contemplating setting back the pump, but unsure at the moment. Will likely leave that for next winter, either way. Will perhaps look at having intake machined for shoe and ride plate at that point in time. But, as far as this winter is concerned, I will focus on the pump above the intake. Would like to find a split bowl for rebuild, so I have the option to add a droop or shims, if the boat wants it later on.

I'm new to building Berkeley pumps, but have rebuilt a few fire apparatus pumps, which are quite similar. So, regarding getting this pump freshened up and ready for more horsepower, what considerations do I need to look at aside from a hardened shaft, replacing u-joints in driveline and choosing impeller?
This is what we do and have been for 25 years , we are a family business specializing in Jet drives , we sell and manufacture Jet drive parts and accesories and we happily provide tech help 7 days a week , if we can help 805 466 4719 anytime Tom