WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Berkeley rock grate wanted.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Hello all,
I got under my new to me '74 Tahiti Super Tiger today. It's got a Berkeley 12-JC pump. I was surprised to see that I don't have a rock grate! Any leads on where to get one and what to get? Or, should I just build my own? Super simple, it seems, to cut a plate to size, drill four holes and burn on three or four plates, fit to the pump intake. Or, if anyone has something handy, feel free to PM me. Just not sure where the best place is to source one. I was surprised to see my pump intake WIDE open!

I crawled under the trailer with a straight edge today, to assess how much hook my hull has. I've looked under the boat before, but never got all the way under it. I feel kinda dumb! Is it common for folks to completely remove the grate? I've never had a boat without one at all.

On this topic, at what point does one need a loader? I'm building a 650-700HP 496" solid roller BBC. Going to find a shop to send my pump for a rebuild with appropriate impeller soon (probably this winter). So, if I need to buy a loader/rock grate, I'd like to buy whatever best suits my needs post rebuild, since it's coming pretty soon.

Thanks for any/all advice!

Nik
20210519_162731.jpg
20210106_133827.jpg

Nikwho

Reaction score
Adversely, if I run this grate with my 400-500 HP Olds, how much performance is being left on the table if I were to run this grate/loader with my new 496?

I guess my REAL question is, do I just need to plan on buying two loaders? One for right now, and another when I instally 496 and get my pump rebuilt? Im not worried about spending an extra $200. I just don't want to waste $200. I should have asked this FIRST! Sorry.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I've have the SS sport loader on my sled, ~500 hp, but it's just a family day cruiser.
The loader will do different things with different hulls and horsepower.
The right way is to know what the
intake pressure difference is from top to bottom, in front of the impeller. And adjust from there.
It's not brain surgery, just jet böté science.

Btw, mine was set up by GS Marine, 1996, only needed a small adjustment. I've never had a rock grate, so I couldn't tell you the difference in performance.

Dan'l

Nikwho

Reaction score
I'll probably just buy the "SS" Super Sport loader, as it will be a good fit for my boat now. If I need to buy a different loader when I get my pump built, I will. I worry about over loading the pump with the more aggressive loader, as it describes a bog that it will create, as my Olds is probably closer to 400 HP.

Nikwho

Reaction score
Is it common for folks to run these boats with no loader or rock grate at all?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Is it common for folks to run these boats with no loader or rock grate at all?

For testing, probably.
Where I boat... Laughlin bullhead and south to the needles bridge, probably ought to have one. Lake boating... probably not.

Dan'l

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I have a Berk rock grate. Located in Upland