WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best 5w Brands?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Looking for high build quality, 4 seasons, full time living, 5w brand recommendations. This isn't your weekend warrior 5w use where you have a house to go back to.

Any features/options must haves? What's the best layout?

How about warranty work? Are they responsive? Do they get it done right the first time?

I've been looking at, in no particular order:

1. Luxe
2. DRV
3. Van Leigh

What else?

ETA: Adding to the list based on post replies:
4. SpaceCraft
5. Grand Designs

Last edited:

River Runnin

Reaction score
Before the Thor buy out! ... I'd say DRV ... This is what we have. 😐

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yeah I've spoken to a few DRV owners at Havasu Springs, they love them.

Also, I forgot to add Grand Designs to the list, I've looked at their Solitude, its pretty nice and GD owners are pretty enthusiastic about them (at least the ones I've seen).

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So of the RV owners here, what's the biggest build problem or maintenance item?

Roof recoating/repair?

Walls delam due to moisture?

I've been trying to focus on wall and roof construction methods among the RV builders. I was thinking an RV roof should be fiberglass, but that means keeping it clean, polished and waxed, which may be significant effort. Then there are those rubber roofs, but they get chalky. Nothing's perfect but is there a preferance among owners?

As for the walls, (and roof to a degree) I'm not sure how much I like wood in the construction. Is there a real difference between aluminum and wood roof trusses? How about the plywood used for the roof? The wall construction, is luan as bad as I've heard it is? Alternatives like Azdel?

River Runnin

Reaction score
With minimal maintenance, 20 years old, sub Zero to plus 120* Blistering temps, 2 foot snow packs, and everything else thrown at it in that time! -- In my experience -- The Fiberglass has performed Very Well! 🙂 Have the rubber also (DRV), and not a real fan! ...
. Anderson Valve -- Unless it's Brass! -- Get one that is.
For Roof and walls! OVER INSULATE! ;) If our DRV wasn't insulated as well as it is, we'd a probably summered in Alaska!
. Replace batteries with AGM's
. Generator
. Dishwasher is a waste of space
. 3rd A/C unit
. Replace all locks/Re-Key with more secure ones
. WiFi Ranger
. Cell Reception Booster
. TableTop Ice Maker & Ninja 8qt instant pot! 🤔

And Biggest of all! -- Whole Coach RO System

My couple cents anyway! ;)