WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best 6.5 Marine speakers

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to replace my MB Quart 6.5 speakers soon because the plastic has yellowed really bad . What’s the best sounding / reasonably priced replacement speaker ? I have 6

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I’ve been running wetsounds. Make sure to get the higher end ones the lower versions suck ass. Had the JL before and I think it’s a wash. The wetsounds were louder but not as clear jl wasn’t as loud but super crisp imo

gqchris

Reaction score
Im a Skar Audio whore these days. I dont need dancing LED lights. These sound AMAZING!

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I have four mounting holes right now , I’m not drilling extra holes . The Skar and Jl’s are out

Badchoices03

Reaction score
kicker.jpg

Motor Boater

Reaction score
JL audio for sure. The M3's crank. All of the JL stuff does not require a lot of watts to push them.

This! Had them in my last 3 boats with their amps. Never kills batteries, sounds amazing.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Its a pretty subjective question and the power aka amps and tuning make a huge difference on how any of them sound. Plus, if you are running subs are not. No subs and you're going to want something with a little more low end.

W4S will say kicker as that's what they sell; Speed of sound will say RF; Elite will be back to kicker and I would guess Ron's will push JL.

Listen to them and see what you like. Horn loaded can get a little "bright" depending on placement but will give you a longer throw.

I ran all RF with a mix of horn loaded and tweeters.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I talked to Riley Saturday at Eliminator. He was there representing Kicker. He had the new horn 6x9 speakers I was told to wait for by his Dad at Sandshow. Pricey $800 a pair. I need 3 pairs of 6x9s.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Ok , here’s the problem : the MB Quarts that the boat came with were originally installed by Marks Audio in Irvindale , are actually about 6.75 , not 6.5 . The hole is 5.75 which is bigger than any manufacturer recommends for a 6.5 speaker . A stereo shop here in town says I need to go up to a 7 inch speaker and cut the hole bigger , waaay more than I want to do right now , and waaay more money . I talked to a Crutchfield guy and he recommended 2 speakers that should fit with only drilling new mounting holes , without making the initial hole bigger . I’m also waiting for a call back from Marks to see what he says . Stupid stereo rabbit hole . Also , original MB Quart are now owned / made in China and nobody recommends them now .

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Ok , here’s the problem : the MB Quarts that the boat came with were originally installed by Marks Audio in Irvindale , are actually about 6.75 , not 6.5 . The hole is 5.75 which is bigger than any manufacturer recommends for a 6.5 speaker . A stereo shop here in town says I need to go up to a 7 inch speaker and cut the hole bigger , waaay more than I want to do right now , and waaay more money . I talked to a Crutchfield guy and he recommended 2 speakers that should fit with only drilling new mounting holes , without making the initial hole bigger . I’m also waiting for a call back from Marks to see what he says . Stupid stereo rabbit hole . Also , original MB Quart are now owned / made in China and nobody recommends them now .

I actually had two cheap Chinese "MB Quartz" amps in my last boat, and I have to say, those things ran all day never got hot and never had a problem with them...

DGRAY75

Reaction score
DS 18.. I'm a dealer.. this stuff is the real deal.. Heard them at sema.. Absolutely amazing.. 169.00 a set/ come in white or black
NXL-6M-BK-PAIR2000x2000_1800x1800.jpg

DGRAY75

Reaction score
Ran Skar in last 2 personal boats.. Running DS18 this time...

fishing fool

Reaction score
Wired4sound makes rings for speakers.
Give Davey a call.
By the way wired4sound can get you ANY brand of speaker you want/need for the power and budget

Reactions: TPC

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Give Davey a call.
By the way wired4sound can get you ANY brand of speaker you want/need for the power and budget
Thanks , but last time I needed a stereo part , a shop here in town wanted over 3x what Amazon wanted for exact same part . I’m retired and on limited budget .

Icky

Reaction score
I had Al and Ed in Ontario do my last boat. They used Diamond Audio, boat sounded amazing. Personally I think anything will sound great if you have the right speakers and power.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
i have 12 JL Audio m3 7.7 in my boat....had 7.7s in my last boat...would put them in my next boat

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Give Davey a call.
I have those. They have a small bluetooth controller that is easily replaced if it malfunctions.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I have Polk in everything. They handle power, they handle water, and their price is not JL Audio pricing.

I buy all my audio... home, car, truck, boat from Crutchfield.

This x3. I have had Polk in my boat for years sounds good no issues. I think I have about almost 10 years on my 6.5’s. Still going strong. I think the wet sounds are nice but are a kittle over hyped. I have kicker in my SXS and they are decent too.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Progress report : There is no speaker I can find to securely fit the existing hole , so it goes in next week for JL M3 or M6’s 7.7 , haven’t completely decided yet . I’m not comfortable drilling bigger holes in boat , so to the shop it goes .

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Im a Skar Audio whore these days. I dont need dancing LED lights. These sound AMAZING!

x2 on Skar. I just put 6 in my boat this week replacing some older JLs. Big difference in sound. I am overly impressed at how much better they sound. Keep in mind my JLs had 10 years on them with mild use.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Check the dominions on the Skar 6.5. They are bigger than a standard 6.5. I had to open up the holes a bit to get them to fit where my old JLs fit easily.

traquer

Reaction score
Just use whatever will fit in the whole and is on the expensive end. All the good brands sound amazing if you give them decent power

xlint89

Reaction score
What are you powering the speakers with?

How many RMS watts?

Head unit or amplifier?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm a JL Audio audio fan... They sound great and can take a beating.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies , after doing all my research and finding nothing to fit the hole created by MB speakers , I decided to go up to 7.7 , which still required a hole enlargement . I had a shop in town do it as I didn’t want to deal with drilling holes in my boat . I ultimately went with JL M6’s , they sound great !
62C6A414-9564-45D4-B671-B778E129CC72.jpeg
F66FE074-B3F8-4E79-B181-C5D8E794F7D0.jpeg
3BB2B1AE-BB45-475A-B13D-1345A0162A93.jpeg
FF8AA3F9-C585-40C0-AF49-E4C828AFCF94.jpeg