WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Cordless Sawzall - What should I buy, and where?

C-2

Reaction score
Title says it all, what do you suggest and why? I will use it for household stuff and trimming trees and bushes.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The best one for you is the one that works with the rechargeable batteries you already have.

Otherwise, Milwaukee is my go-to but others like DeWalt. Then there are all the others including cheapies like Ryobi and Ridgid. Best thing about Ridgid is if you register your tools shortly after you buy they will (or used to) replace the batteries for the life of the product - a good deal

DWC

Reaction score
Title says it all, what do you suggest and why? I will use it for household stuff and trimming trees and bushes.
They’re all pretty similar. I’d pick one that runs on your current battery platform. I use the Ryobi one for the same purposes. Works great.

C-2

Reaction score
I don't have a current battery configuration, everything except my drill is corded.

Reactions: DWC

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I got a new Milwaukee kit on black Friday. So far so good.

DWC

Reaction score
I don't have a current battery configuration, everything except my drill is corded.
For home use the Ryobi platform is pretty good. Same parent company as Milwaukee. The technology gets handed down so it’s solid, just a year or two older. I pick up the 2 pack of 4ah batteries when they go on sale. They have every tool imaginable for projects, gardening and inflators. For working every day, Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita are great tools. The technology is improving almost everyday. Getting to the point where you almost don’t need a corded product. Saws, nailers, etc.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I’ve got Makita cordless tools because I started with a cordless drill kit and went from there - if I was going to start again I’d go with Milwaukee, they seem to go on sale more often.

DWC

Reaction score
Milwaukee is my favorite just make sure it m18 and get 2 batteries it uses them up pretty quickly
Battery size definitely makes a huge difference. The batteries that come with the promo items get a little smaller every year. It’s not uncommon for them to be 1.5AH anymore. They don’t last very long in a drill much less any kind of saw. Most complaints aren’t with the tool it’s a function of battery life.
Throw one of these into a M18 tool and it’ll go for awhile.
1FE55716-FF6A-4A79-9B39-A560763A393B.jpeg

termiteguy

Reaction score
Battery size definitely makes a huge difference. The batteries that come with the promo items get a little smaller every year. It’s not uncommon for them to be 1.5AH anymore. They don’t last very long in a drill much less any kind of saw. Most complaints aren’t with the tool it’s a function of battery life.
Throw one of these into a M18 tool and it’ll go for awhile.
View attachment 988819
I have 2 of I'm my circular saw they last a long time but are very heavy I have 5ah and 6ah for the saws all it still eats them up but that is using it all day cutting out fascia boards

NicPaus

Reaction score
Big and smaller. Have numerous of each. Corded Milwaukee is the best. Or if you need a really big one Milwaukee makes a monster cordless one. I buy them on special when $99 each.
Screenshot_20210403-144121_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210403-144054_Samsung Internet.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
If you don’t have any cordless tools look at other items you possibly might be interested in buying in the future,

just go to depot yellow or red see what feels good in your hands. If your only using it for yard work a full blow sawzaw might not be best for you, it takes both hands to operate a Sawzaw and you might want to look at the Hackzaw its a simple one hand saw and way more manageable it might be better for you and it will still a 2x4,4x4 etc.

as for other tools the newer blowers are bad ass and can almost blow the chrome off a bumper! I use I mine all the time for cleaning the patio, drive way, garage & Frt porch etc

I use Red - Milwaukee and buy all my tools at Depot!

Difference between Sawzaw and Hacksaw

7F7E4072-F85C-4706-B5A2-7E821D6EDB65.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Dewalt flexvolt 60v

Being in construction I've had this one about 2 years and it is to only one that I have ever used that is comparable to a 110v plug in power wise! And the battery last way longer than any other also!

dewalt-reciprocating-saws-dcs388t2-64_600.jpg
dewalt-reciprocating-saws-dcs388t2-40_600.jpg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Big and smaller. Have numerous of each. Corded Milwaukee is the best. Or if you need a really big one Milwaukee makes a monster cordless one. I buy them on special when $99 each. View attachment 988821 View attachment 988822

Interesting I always found the Porter Cable Tiger Saw to be the best corded sawzall. But I havent bought a corded on in years as I've had the Porter Cable for probably 15 years. Used daily as a framing contractor for probably 5-7 of those years.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
1617498760652.jpeg

The ole lady got me something like this for Xmas.......everything works great EXCEPT the leaf blower which sucks.:p

TrollerDave

Reaction score
At work we have Milwaukee and they have always worked great except for 1 battery went bad.
I would say the secret is to use good blades. A new blade will go through like butter where a used blade takes longer and wears the saw. I also have good luck with my Makita drills.

DWC

Reaction score
Dewalt flexvolt 60v

Being in construction I've had this one about 2 years and it is to only one that I have ever used that is comparable to a 110v plug in power wise! And the battery last way longer than any other also!

View attachment 988856 View attachment 988857
They have some damn good technology in the flex volt. Battery senses how much power is needed and gives it more or less depending on the situation. Huge leap compared to old tech.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I forgot about the porter cable. And Hilti has top notch tools for sure. I have probably 30 of the 20V Dewalt Batteries and they have good specials so majority of my cordless tools are Dewalt.

petie6464

Reaction score
Anything but Milwaukee fuel Sawzall is worthless. .
(Once you own one)

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Interesting I always found the Porter Cable Tiger Saw to be the best corded sawzall. But I havent bought a corded on in years as I've had the Porter Cable for probably 15 years. Used daily as a framing contractor for probably 5-7 of those years.

I worked for a guy years ago cutting apart U-haul shipping crates so they could flat ship them...All we used was Porter Cable because nothing else would live more than a day or so. I don't remember killing a Porter Cable.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I forgot about the porter cable. And Hilti has top notch tools for sure. I have probably 30 of the 20V Dewalt Batteries and they have good specials so majority of my cordless tools are Dewalt.
My Porter cable corded is at least 25 years old and still kicking.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I've pretty much got everything Kobalt from Lowes you can buy...They are decent for the price point and the batteries are easily available. Case in point I had a 12v drill that my ex wife took the charger on distribution..3/4 years later I bought a charger and it went back to being my go to drill.

I have the new stuff now..hell my oldest kid rides a Razor scooter that is powered by the Kobalt Batteries,..a 4ah battery gets her about 90 mins of cruising with her friends..

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score

Go watch this guys test video...he is amazing and has compared jsut about every gizmo and rebuild in a can you can imagine, with some very surprising results. He just put this one up a few days ago. The guy is great...ad he buys every tool he tests retail...takes no $ from nobody...although I am sure he gets some interesting offers...

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I’ve got Makita cordless tools because I started with a cordless drill kit and went from there - if I was going to start again I’d go with Milwaukee, they seem to go on sale more often.
I switched from Dawalt to Makita years ago and man what a difference in quality of tools. I now have thousands of dollars invested in my Makitas...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
We use all Ridgid tools for my company. From pipe machines to cordless tools.

Taboma

Reaction score
I've got cordless Makita, pretty much everything, including most all my landscaping maintenance tools. My newest favorite is the 10" 36 V ( 2x 18v) chain saw, damn I'm having fun with that one. So far since 07', I've only broken one, an Impact Driver and it was my fault, not the tools. What's impressed me most is, I'm still using all my batteries, including the ones that are now 14 years old. 👍 👍 👍
The only gardening tool that's not Makita is a Black and Decker Hedge trimmer, the Makita model had two many safeties, it wouldn't allow for single handed operation which I need doing some of the hedge tops. I could have jury rigged it, but the B&D is really cheap and works fine and when it gets to dull, I'll just toss it and replace it.

4Waters

Reaction score
Go watch this guys test video...he is amazing and has compared jsut about every gizmo and rebuild in a can you can imagine, with some very surprising results. He just put this one up a few days ago. The guy is great...ad he buys every tool he tests retail...takes no $ from nobody...although I am sure he gets some interesting offers...

That was great, you really can't go wrong with DeWalt, Milwaukee or Makita brushless

jet496

Reaction score
All my stuff is Dewalt but was Makita before that. All pretty much the same but for trimming trees and bushes nothing's better than a Stihl chainsaw. Get a Stihl pole saw for the high stuff.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I switched from Dawalt to Makita years ago and man what a difference in quality of tools. I now have thousands of dollars invested in my Makitas...
Don’t get me wrong, I have no issues with Makita tools, I think they are great, but they never seem to go on sale like the Milwaukees or DeWalts.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Makita just gave us a bunch of free stuff for the training center. They’ve improved a lot over the last few years and were already great. I’m going to say makita. I use DEWALT Milwaukee makita and Hilti tools all day everyday so I don’t really have a favorite, but if I was buying a kit for the house it would be the new makita stuff.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Milwaukee is fantastic, but honestly overkill for home use. Even the m12 line is more than necessary for home. Honestly I'd strongly suggest Ryobi stuff for home use. They have some fantastic tools that are unique to their line that really fantastic around the house. They have a small pistol grip high volume inflator that is fantastic along with a bucket top fan/mister that works great too. Along with the standard tools and a complete line of garden tools that all use the 18v batteries.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I’m team red. I have pretty much the entire m12 line at this point. I use a sawzall with a super long big tooth blade to trim my palm trees. Works fine for me. I dunno how much trimming you’d need to do but I do my whole yard and fill two green bins on a single battery. Sawzall and jigsaw both seem to be more aggressive on batteries than any of the other tools.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
everything works great EXCEPT the leaf blower which sucks.:p

Leaf BLOWER that SUCKS. Did you buy a vacuum or a leaf blower? 😁

Nobody is gonna ask if C-2 is going start stealing cats?

Good point

Who has time to watch all these videos?! 😁 Give us the Cliff's Notes version - who won?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Have had several old school types , newest is a Milwaukie M18 , so far better than beer in cans , small good power !

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and thanks DWC for the write-ups.

I used to swing a hammer back in the day too (framing) and we used corded Makita sawzall's and worm drive Skill saws. I have a Stihl chainsaw for the trees, but I was admittedly embarrassed when a neighbor recently handed me a cordless Milwaukee and asked why I was torturing myself. And he was right, lol, it seems cordless technology has really come far. I keep horses, goats and chickens on a 1-acre parcel (not my residence) with barns and out buildings and shit always needs to be cut up, or cut down.

DWC

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and thanks DWC for the write-ups.

I used to swing a hammer back in the day too (framing) and we used corded Makita sawzall's and worm drive Skill saws. I have a Stihl chainsaw for the trees, but I was admittedly embarrassed when a neighbor recently handed me a cordless Milwaukee and asked why I was torturing myself. And he was right, lol, it seems cordless technology has really come far. I keep horses, goats and chickens on a 1-acre parcel (not my residence) with barns and out buildings and shit always needs to be cut up, or cut down.
The new tool selection is unbelievable. I rarely pull anything out with a cord anymore. Hammer drill, tire inflator, sawzall, grinder, blower, hedge trimmer. Hell even my sprayer is battery powered. Weeds don’t have a chance.