WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Hot Rod movie.....

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
American Graffitti or Hollywood Knights?

TBI's cool thread with AG got me all nostalgic.....:skull

My opinion:
AG was really good movie, but Newbomb Turk and crew was Great......Knights Rule!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

4Waters

Reaction score
2 lane blacktop or not a really hotrod but definitely had some nice cars dazed and confused, Smokey and the Bandit

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
AG.

Hollywood Nights is a funny movie but not even close to AG. It is more slap stick comedy without any real story line, kind of like Porky's but with cars.

AG not only had several story lines but also launched the careers of many actors.

OK, just re-watched Hollywood Nights and man, I must be getting old because it really comes across as a cheap AG rip off targeted toward 13 year olds. Has some cool cars (Project X of course) and some nice T&A shots but pretty dumb. I guess I must of been much younger when I first saw it.

HANDY

Reaction score
Dirty Mary,crazy Larry has to have the most unpredictable ending, at least I would never seen that coming.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
American graffiti, but I'm biased since it was filmed in my home town.

bocco

Reaction score
California Kid was a good one.

Reactions: TBI

RodnJen

Reaction score

My opinion:
AG was really good movie, but Newbomb Turk and crew was Great......Knights Rule!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I really like them both. I've been telling the wife its time to revisit the Knights again. I took it to the river last trip but couldn't stay awake.

Havalife

Reaction score
They built the 55 Chevy for 2 lane blacktop and used it in AG. I knew Steve who found the car in a barn in Bakersfield, I got a few fun rides in that car. It had an L88 and would smoke the tires on the interstate, real light car. He later found the yellow coupe on the lot at Universal Studios and came home with that one, it was a real basket case but he got it looking new.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Hands down best hot rod movie. American Graffiti. Two lane black top is a close second.

rrrr

Reaction score
They built the 55 Chevy for 2 lane blacktop and used it in AG. I knew Steve who found the car in a barn in Bakersfield, I got a few fun rides in that car. It had an L88 and would smoke the tires on the interstate, real light car. He later found the yellow coupe on the lot at Universal Studios and came home with that one, it was a real basket case but he got it looking new.

The '55 was wearing aftermarket wheels and really wide rear tires in AG. However, if you freeze frame the aftermath of the crash at the end of the movie, you will see stock size tires and steel wheels with a rattle can silver finish. It's a different car.

Just something I noticed many years ago while watching the movie on a VHS tape from my local video rental store.

:I don't care much for Two Lane Blacktop. Throughout the film the character played by James Taylor continually mumbles about the carburetor jets. "Gotta change the jets, man."

:D

rush1

Reaction score
American graffiti, and number 2, 2 lane black top,dirty Marry Crazy Larry, vanishing point, hollywood knights, hot rod,California kid,gone in 60 seconds (original )junk man
Funny car summer (one of my favorite )

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
American Graffiti.....and while we are on the subject...."Bullitt" :D:D

MOUZER

Reaction score
2 BEST CARS....IN AG

[video=youtube;z2OoxzYqgNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OoxzYqgNY[/video]

MOUZER

Reaction score
DRAG RACE AT PARDISE ROAD.........

[video=youtube;QOgqUHk-zDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgqUHk-zDY[/video]

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
:I don't care much for Two Lane Blacktop. Throughout the film the character played by James Taylor continually mumbles about the carburetor jets. "Gotta change the jets, man."

:D

That was Dennis Wilson that kept needing to rejet the carb. Wilson played the mechanic, all Taylor did was drive.

CanyonLakeDave

Reaction score
Best is 2 Lane Blacktop
Most entertaining Hollywood Knights
Legendary American Graffiti

bocco

Reaction score
Forgot all about Vanishing Point.

I watched the trailer for Deuce of Spades and I really want to watch it but it's not available on Netlfix or Amazon. Anybody know where I can rent it?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Not necessarily a hot rod movie, but a car movie nonetheless, Aloha Bobby and Rose. Bobby just couldn't catch a break.

Don't forget Gumball Rally - another fun car movie too.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Bullitt for best chase scene.

Fast and the Furious!!!! All 12 of them!!! :D:eek:yikes

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Always liked King of the Mountain.... Dennis Hopper in that crusty old Corvette. :p Reading about that movie supposedly he was drunk when filming one of the driving scenes...
[video=youtube_https;KynMbNsDCfY]https://youtu.be/KynMbNsDCfY[/video]

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Another one here for Gumball Rally. Gary Busey in the Camaro. :thumbsup :D

[video=youtube_https;bNFcbgQJsfw]https://youtu.be/bNFcbgQJsfw[/video]

Also while not really a hot rod movie, but a car movie nonetheless, Cannonball Run. So many big stars playing such funny parts. No matter how many times I see it, the doc still brings tears of laughter, lol :D

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
American Graffiti
California Kid
Deuce of Spades

Didnt know she finally got Deuce finished. Lots of great cars in that. My kid was in it. Dont know if he made the final cut. Kid on the lakebed aski g if he could wipe down his car. Guess Ill have to buy it!

shan

Reaction score

My opinion:

Hollywood Knights for me!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Here's an oldie and moldy that everyone overlooks, you can only find a crappy copy on YouTube - WW And the Dixie Dancekings.
Burt Reynolds pre Bandit.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Forgot all about Vanishing Point.

I watched the trailer for Deuce of Spades and I really want to watch it but it's not available on Netlfix or Amazon. Anybody know where I can rent it?

I have it. The trailer is better than the movie. Great cars and some good camera work, but the story and acting keep you finger on the fast forward button.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Vanishing point. Even the fox remake with vigo wasn't terrible. "It takes a mopar to catch a mopar". Plus a white 1970 4 speed hemi challenger is my #1 dream car, so I'm a little swayed.

AG. Classic.

Eat my dust, another Ron Howard car movie.

I always liked funny car summer too because it had a cuda on the VHS case.

Not really a hot rod movie, but dukes of hazard is awesome. Mopars. Comedy. Jessica Simpson at her finest. Hard to beat.

I actually like the fast and furious's. Lotta cool/unique cars in them. My favorite is the charger on the Pro 2 chassis they dropped out of the plane. That car was pretty legit. I checked it out when method had it on display at a race.

Havalife

Reaction score
From what I heard from Steve they used 3 55 Chevy's for the race scene, the main one only did the race then they had one for the ditch and one that burned. It took a lot of tries to get a good shot of the race from what I heard, as you can see in the movie clip the 55 caught the coupe and the tire spin was deliberate just so the coupe could get going. When Steve brought the coupe back only 1 carb was set up to work.

beertruck

Reaction score

Attachments

• MV5BMjQwMTczODktZGI0MC00YjA2LThkYjQtNWQ4OTNjZmE2NjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UY100_CR25,.jpg
    MV5BMjQwMTczODktZGI0MC00YjA2LThkYjQtNWQ4OTNjZmE2NjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UY100_CR25,.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 235

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...this is the number one car movie...Take Your Best Shot...With Robert Urich and Meredith Baxter Burney... OK I lied... but it is my '70 Torino convertible as Robert Urichs car...I also had a walk on part...lol...

[video=youtube_https;rplsQJyhqx0]https://youtu.be/rplsQJyhqx0[/video]

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Herbie the Love Bug... The list is endless.:D

rush1

Reaction score
Forgot about heart like a wheel that was a good one,filmed a lot of the scenes at OCIR

nowski

Reaction score
IMO, This is the best Hot Rod Song of all time...

[video=youtube;wSeUDKXx5P4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSeUDKXx5P4&t=39s[/video]

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Great thread! :thumbsup

Don't forget "Macon County Line" and "Return to Macon County"

chevy1.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
AG is thee absolute best hot rod movie. Everyone knows it. Everyone's seen it. Made me want a deuce coupe the instant I saw that flick at like 7 years old.

But all this car talk reminded me of this old cheesy flick. Loved it as a kid though.

[video=youtube_https;tnuVxQG6e9Q]https://youtu.be/tnuVxQG6e9Q[/video]

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Suprised no one has mentioned "Christine"... We all know how much our cars love us. :D