WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best New Diesel

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I have a Duramax now that needed injectors @ 80,000 miles. My Ford worktruck had to have $10,000 worth of work done to it recently. EGR, injectors, dummy plugs, new computer, new program before new computer, glow plugs between 145,000 and 155,000 miles. My dad's Dodge eats transmissions. Lot's of miles on it but damn. So what are the better diesels to buy. Don't make this a "Buy chevy ford sucks or ford forever no dodge" When I buy a new truck I want something that stays together. Did they all get it figured out or do each of them still have their problems? I know one thing is extended warranty next time. Thanks

welldigger00

Reaction score
It all depends on how you are going to use them. If you plan on using them for construction,Stay away from new ford diesels at all costs, if you can. I have suffered through the 6.0's, the 6.4's, and now I have a 6.7 that has been on a wrecker 6 times since january. It has got a new complete engine at 40k miles, even after a new turbo at 30k miles. I use these trucks for work, and they are seldom under 15k pounds every single day. The EGR and PFD systems have totally destroyed a great truck. I still have three 7.3's left that are high milers, but when you load them heavy for the job site, you know that they will always get there and back. I don't have any experience with dodge or chevy, because it wasnt until recently that dodge made a 550 size truck in a four wheel drive. The kodiac was just too damn tall to be practical. At that size, a class 6 Pete or freightliner is a way better choice.
Just my 2 cents:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
they are machines. all machines need maintence and tend to break down.

the best machine ever was the 7.3 powerstroke.

find a late one and fix up the rest of the truck. thats probably the most dependable machine you can find.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

find a late one and fix up the rest of the truck. thats probably the most dependable machine you can find.

Jeez Joe. By trade I'm a heavy equipment operator and believe in preventive maintenence more than anyone. Everything gets changed and adjusted on time but damn it doesn't seem to matter anymore. Shit just isn't made well anymore

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

Plus, it's actually the wife's truck so it will have to be new:grumble:

alohajeff

Reaction score
The Dodge will ride like a Dodge. The GMC and higher end Chevy models have a nice interior and very nice ride. The Ford is a bomb with a lit fuse. Right now you can't win. The EPA has totally F'd the diesel truck buyer. Buy old (aka reliable) and fix it up. Buying new for the sake of driving a new vehicle is a terrible idea right now.

Buy a Gasser. Get the lowest gears they offer. Throw a few bucks at it to make it nice. Count the broken SuperDuty trucks on the side of the road and be glad you aren't one of them. Spend the money you saved by not buying a time bomb on some earrings, shoes, or a nice vacation.

If you to decide to buy a new Diesel make sure to start slamming your pecker in the doorjamb now in preparation of the inevitable.

Aloha

Reaction score
Maintenance is not the problem with the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7l it's the smog equipment that makes them royal hunks if shit!! I currently own one of each fully maintained and truly believe it's a coin toss every day if they'll make it to the job site or not. I've had 3 cummins and they have been great motors (trans so/so). I've had 2 duramax with not many problems but they don't see the duty my fords do. I agree with welldigger that if they are gonna be heavy or tow, skip all three and go Pete or Kw it'll save alot of money in the long run

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If you can wait until January, the new Dodge looks like it'll be worth a look.
4x4's will have a radius-arm front suspension and an HO option makes 850 lb-ft of torque.
And they'll all get urea injection/DEF so better mpg.

The base engine gets today's 68RFE tranny...it's a decent unit.
The HO engine option gets an Aisin medium-duty transmission, it's very stout.

As far as reliability goes, I think each carmaker's offerings are as good - or bad - as the others.
I'm only partial to Dodge because I own one and have had good experiences with it.
But you can easily find people who love, and others who hate, each brand.

welldigger00

Reaction score
And they'll all get urea injection/DEF so better mpg. ????

I thought these items were for emissions, not for millage improvement . And In my experience they are the cause of all of the problems. These items will be the downfall of the diesel truck market.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
And they'll all get urea injection/DEF so better mpg. ????

I thought these items were for emissions, not for millage improvement . And In my experience they are the cause of all of the problems. These items will be the downfall of the diesel truck market.

Particulate traps clog and present all sorts of issues...and the regen cycles burn diesel to get rid of the trapped particulates.

DEF injected into the combustion chamber reduces particulates from combustion. So you need fewer regen cycles...and fewer regen cycles mean you burn less diesel.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

alohajeff

Reaction score
The AS68RC has been used by Dodge since 2007 and is available in their Chassis Cab 3500/4500/5500's. If you don't want to wait for a new Dodge with all of the new (untested) smog crap on the engine you could pick up a new-ish Dodge Chassis Cab and throw a bed on it. The Aisin used in the Dodge has been pretty reliable in the Mitsu Fuso trucks. For a 6 speed it feels really slow. Drive one and see if you like it.

Regarding mileage... I doubt the new and improved 6.7L Cummins with all of the new smog crap is going to get the same mileage as a pre-smog 5.9L. Better than the current 6.7L? Maybe. I owned a pre-DPF 5.9L Dodge but had to throw a metric shit-ton of money at the suspension and transmission to get it where it needed to be. But the mileage was always respectable. Mid to high teens on 37" Toyo MT's and no load.

The Dodge transmission behind the Cummins isn't terrible... but it ain't no Allison and it ain't no TorqShift. The Dodge trans needs some money thrown at it to make it more enjoyable to drive. The same can be said of the Allison to a certain degree. Aftermarket converters are a worthwhile upgrade with just about any auto trans these days.

The best part of the new Ford big boy trucks is their transmission. It's fantastic. And the seats are comfortable. Driving along wondering when it's going to blow up ruins an otherwise peaceful interior. For that reason I'd recommend a 6.8L V10 equipped model. No DPF fluid expense, cheaper initial purchase price, and it's a proven runner. It might only make 450 ft/lbs but a little over a decade or so ago that was more than some diesels! You might not get to the top of the hill the fastest but you'll have a better chance of actually arriving at your destination.

My vote for best new diesel truck to buy is whichever one you are comfortable with that's equipped with a gasoline engine.

Aloha

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
Regarding mileage... I doubt the new and improved 6.7L Cummins with all of the new smog crap is going to get the same mileage as a pre-smog 5.9L. Better than the current 6.7L? Maybe. I owned a pre-DPF 5.9L Dodge but had to throw a metric shit-ton of money at the suspension and transmission to get it where it needed to be. But the mileage was always respectable. Mid to high teens on 37" Toyo MT's and no load.

Agreed...better than the current 6.7 without DPF, but not as good as the 5.9. Even though it has fewer regens, it still has regens, not to mention a liter more displacement.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

Last edited:

welldigger00

Reaction score
DEF injected into the combustion chamber reduces particulates from combustion. So you need fewer regen cycles...and fewer regen cycles mean you burn less diesel.
The DEF is injected into the DPF . Is that the combustion chamber you are talking about, or the engine itself?

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

pronstar

Reaction score
s that the combustion chamber you are talking about, or the engine itself?

My bad...that's where the "E" comes from (Diesel Exhaust fluid) :D

It's an exhaust treatment.
But it reduces partculates and NOX emissions.
The regen cycles are reduced, that's where your mileage gains come from.

The system they'll be adding to the Cummins in the Dodge 2500/3500 is already in use in the chassis cab trucks, so the system they're introducing has already been in use in the field and is (supposedly, one would hope) proven :thumbsup

Check out the attached PDF for info from Cummins on DEF...

Attachments

• MB10033.pdf
    267.7 KB · Views: 130

welldigger00

Reaction score
IMHO, the whole damn thing is ridiculous. The engineers have designed a system that takes fuel and does not make any power with it. Not only that, the other systems take engine heat and bring it right on back through the combustion cycle. If they would let these engines breath, and not load up with so much heat, and use the fuel for actual power, us as the consumer would be far better off. I think they have over complicated them so that we can no longer fix them our selves. I wonder how long we have to suffer through this bull shit. I blame Al Gore, Catmandildo, Classic gay cruiser, and Tom Clown.

pronstar

Reaction score
IMHO, the whole damn thing is ridiculous. The engineers have designed a system that takes fuel and does not make any power with it. Not only that, the other systems take engine heat and bring it right on back through the combustion cycle. If they would let these engines breath, and not load up with so much heat, and use the fuel for actual power, us as the consumer would be far better off. I think they have over complicated them so that we can no longer fix them our selves. I wonder how long we have to suffer through this bull shit. I blame Al Gore, Catmandildo, Classic gay cruiser, and Tom Clown.

So true :D
It's a circular argument.

Let's burn diesel to clean up the emissions from, umm...burning diesel.
The tree-huggers are laughing at all of this foolishness.

Catmando

Banned
Reaction score
If you can wait until January, the new Dodge looks like it'll be worth a look.
4x4's will have a radius-arm front suspension and an HO option makes 850 lb-ft of torque.
And they'll all get urea injection/DEF so better mpg.

The base engine gets today's 68RFE tranny...it's a decent unit.
The HO engine option gets an Aisin medium-duty transmission, it's very stout.

As far as reliability goes, I think each carmaker's offerings are as good - or bad - as the others.
I'm only partial to Dodge because I own one and have had good experiences with it.
But you can easily find people who love, and others who hate, each brand.
Pronstar are you sure about that torque figure? The number I know is 800. I'm going to the Texas State Fair so I'll ask those guys.

I owned a 2003 Ram 3500 SRW and a 2006 Ram dually. I never had ONE problem with either one of them. My only complain is routing the soot into the engine to pass inspection. The oil was full of soot immediately after a change.

The BEST light/medium duty diesel engine is the 5.9 Cummins. It wins every test from fuel mileage to tow/haul rating to reliability.

OP if you can get your hands on one buy it!!

Catmando

Banned
Reaction score

Welldigger go fuck yourself.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 2007 cummins 5.9 the only smog equipment is the catalytic converter. 106k miles on it. On 37" tires since new. Never had any engine or trans problems. I won't be getting rid of this truck. Like others have said. Get an older ore smog truck. Throw a couple bucks at it and know you have an reliable vehicle. I'm partial to the cummins as it has proven its self. The new smog motors I'm not sure about so if it were me I would find a ford 7.3 or a cummins 5.9 and "restore" the truck to like new condition. My truck will be getting a built trans and new leather soon as a prevention and to update the truck as I have no plans of ever getting rid of it. Unless a proven smog diesel happens. I have been watching and the 7.3s and trucks like mine are increasing in value as time goes on.

pronstar

Reaction score
Pronstar are you sure about that torque figure? The number I know is 800. I'm going to the Texas State Fair so I'll ask those guys.

I only know what their press release states.

If you click this link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/27/2013-ram-hd-and-chassis-cab-2500-3500-hd-heavy-duty/
...down near the bottom there's a button that says "show press release".
Click that, and the release from Chrysler shows details.

Here's a copy/paste for the part about the drivetrain:
For 2013, the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 makes its debut in Ram 3500 Heavy Duty pickup as standard equipment (single rear wheel). Also standard in the Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, the engine produces 383 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and generates peak torque of 400 lb.-ft. at 3,950 rpm. The HEMI V-8 is mated to a 66RFE six-speed automatic transmission.

Dominating the power charts, the renowned 6.7-liter Cummins High-Output Turbo Diesel I-6 is now available in three versions. The first version is paired with Ram's segment exclusive six-speed manual transmission, which features a wear-compensating clutch for lifetime "like-new" performance and a dual-trunion shift tower to accommodate a compact shift pattern. This combination delivers 350 horsepower at 2,800 rpm and 660 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,500 rpm – a significant boost from the 2012 model-year maximum of 600 lb.-ft.

The second option matches the Cummins to the 68RFE six-speed automatic transmission. The diesel engine cranks out 370 horsepower at 2,800 rpm with an unsurpassed in 1-ton trucks 800 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm.

Finally, an upgraded 6.7-liter Cummins High-Output Turbo Diesel I-6 for Ram 3500 is paired with a new Aisin six-speed automatic transmission (AS69RC), leaving no doubt to Ram Heavy Duty's capability. In addition to 385 horsepower at 2,800 rpm, the most powerful Cummins generates best-in-class torque of 850 lb.-ft. at 1,600 rpm. The new AS69RC transmission features wide gear ratios that contribute to upgraded shift performance, an approximate 1 percent gain in transmission efficiency and improved driveability when compared to the previous design.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I sold my LBZ last week, it was an investment issue as I made 3K over the KBB and my Chevy fleet mgr. buddy said take the money and run for that price.

Pronstar,

I"ve stayed away from Dodges over the years, one of our competitiors bought and sold 3 11' 5500's in 8 months after they all blew up the tranny's at 15K miles pulling 14K lbs. of CAT 262C skid steers/attachments with pintle hitch trailers. We've blown one tranny in 22K miles with our same tow load/trailered 11' F550 6.7.

I'm looking at a new F450 for the bigger cab space, and with the less towing I do than our F550, our two shop F450's have had no issues at 38K and 54K miles with service beds.

If this new trans. is all that, I might have to try a Dodge out, and go off the family reservation of Fords' and Chevy's/LOL! Any idea of when they will come into dealerships?

pronstar

Reaction score
If this new trans. is all that, I might have to try a Dodge out, and go off the family reservation of Fords' and Chevy's/LOL! Any idea of when they will come into dealerships?

The press release only says "first quarter of 2013" for start of production. Dealer deliveries would be soon after, but it usually takes a bit for supply to start filling demand.

Plus I would have a hard time being first in the field with an all new truck...but then again the guys at Carli would likely give a pretty good deal on a kickass suspension setup if they could use it as a guinea pig :thumbsup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Aisin - I have been living with this transmission manufacturer in my Isuzu NPR trucks for the past 12 years and I lost one about a year ago. $5k replacement for another stock Factory Reman unit but the truck had 265k miles at the time. I don't consider that to bad considering they roll daily fully loaded at 14k lbs.

They are the trans manufacturer in many if not most Jap trucks from light duty to the big stuff. This was an excellent move for Dodge IMO. A well respected brand since Allison is a No and way better then redeveloping everything when your transmission reputation is already sketchy.

Right now Dodge touts not having to use Exhaust fluid. Like Pronstar said in 2013 that all changes. They are throwing egg at their faces with this.

Injectors - OK in the Ocean Cat the QSB's which are marinizied 5.9's use a 2 micron spin on filter we change every 100 hours. A Cummins FACTORY setup. This is the key to NOT having injector drama. Right now Baldwin makes a 5 Micron canister filter for our trucks but that's the best you can get. This issue also exists in the Duramax as both Cummins and Isuzu spec a Bosch Injector that is very similar and work in the exact same manner.

Common rail is it now. New 6.7 Fords are using this system now as well.

I have 170k on my 04 Cummins Dodge and so far aside from the AC system being mediocre and power seat issues its an excellent reliable truck. I am going to buy a few 2004 dually's and have service bodies put on them.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
So I decided to go with a newer 11 or 12 Truck. Have owned both Ford and Chevy diesels. Like all the posts, have to agree with all of it, older trucks are best to keep if you can.
Test drove an 11 3500HD Chevy dually, 12 350 Ford srw, and 12 Dodge 3500 dually, all 4WD/ crew cab long beds.
All the comments were pretty spot on in this thread.
Ford: best performance(single rear wheel may have helped), most interior room
Chevy: right with Ford on performance, cab is noticibly smaller than other 2.
Dodge was slowest feeling, but could tell it gets the job done, nice interior, cool storage cubbies around the cab.

I'll be first to admit I'm biased to chevy's but am leaning to the Ford. While family biz has had issues with one of our 3 6.7's, the other 2 run flawlessly and cab space is big with me now with 2 babies and 2 dogs to haul on trips, LOL. if the Aisun trns was in this year's Dodge, would have most likely bought it. It,s a good truck at a lower price than the Ford.

Groper

Reaction score
I have had all three, Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

I have a 2012 Ram 2500, 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4, and will never buy a Ford or Chevy again period :grumble:

pronstar

Reaction score
Sat in the 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie at the LA Auto Show last week. Kinda wish I hadn't, it's damn nice inside, easily the equal of the excellent Ford interiors IMHO.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I have a 2007 cummins 5.9 the only smog equipment is the catalytic converter. 106k miles on it. On 37" tires since new. Never had any engine or trans problems. I won't be getting rid of this truck. Like others have said. Get an older ore smog truck. Throw a couple bucks at it and know you have an reliable vehicle. I'm partial to the cummins as it has proven its self. The new smog motors I'm not sure about so if it were me I would find a ford 7.3 or a Cummins 5.9 and "restore" the truck to like new condition. My truck will be getting a built trans and new leather soon as a prevention and to update the truck as I have no plans of ever getting rid of it. Unless a proven smog diesel happens. I have been watching and the 7.3s and trucks like mine are increasing in value as time goes on.

I must know a dozen folks that own Dodges that have been fairly trouble free. I have 167k on my 04 HO and the only issue I have is a broken blend door in the heater box. I have posted up a thread here showing I pull heavy all the time so I don't get the trans fail complaints but I read about them all the time. I refuse to turn my truck up because what for and I feel that is what contributes to their failures? I have the lower HP engine and only 2 event injection so the 03/04's are a little louder then 04.5 and up. My hours display 5645.

My daughter drives in a couple years. I was thinking of finding her a 1995 12v ex cab short bed with a 5 speed. I don't think I would ever have to fix it and it would get 25 mpg on the highway.:D

Aisin makes a good transmission and Dodge, sorry RAM, is smart to use it. They are nearly the largest supplier in the world finding their way in a bunch of stuff from big trucks to small cars. In fact GM could not get finished with their new Corvette 8 spd auto so for the 1st time ever the 2014 Vette will have...and Aisin 8 speed automatic. Yep a Japanese trans at least for the 1st year. The Cadi ATS and CTS will also get it.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Sat in the 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie at the LA Auto Show last week. Kinda wish I hadn't, it's damn nice inside, easily the equal of the excellent Ford interiors IMHO.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

I did at the Anaheim show a couple months back. Yes sir they are very nice.

And its RAM. Dodge does not make trucks any longer. RAM's are just available through "Select" Dodge dealers. :D That's the result of an fine Italian marketing and probably a Bankruptcy maneuver. LOL.

The RAM's had their own little floor section completely away from Dodge. Silly.

Last edited:

Moody

Reaction score
I test drove a 13 Ram 6.7l 4x4 Laramie yesterday. Compared to my 01 7.3l F350. It was a beast. A Machine! But for $58,000 I could build a swimming pool in the back yard. Crazy!

I want to test drive the 2500 Ram Hemi. Im tired of using a diesel as an everyday driver. I think Hemi would be nice for me to drive around and check jobs. I'm just hoping it will pull the boat ok on the weekends. There is a Ram 8 speed air ride suspension out that I want to check out too. I haven't herd anything about.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
I can tell you this ( I wish I had Pics ) We had a ford f550 flatbed and loaded a big catering truck on it, there was even someone cooking in while we towed it, truck handled it no problems. I also repo'd a f450 flatbed with a 19foot steel bed on it with that truck. that thing was a friggin workhorse and a half!

1BAHD

Reaction score
I have an 04 duramax just about to roll over to 250k miles pulled our 40ft warrior, boat, misc trailers without flaw. Looking to buy the new LML duramax in the next couple of months. Friend of mine has one and it is an awesome truck! Only problems I've been hearing of are emission related, but seems GM is finely working out the kinks. Best thing to do is delete all the emission crap and call it day.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I have an 04 duramax just about to roll over to 250k miles pulled our 40ft warrior, boat, misc trailers without flaw. Looking to buy the new LML duramax in the next couple of months. Friend of mine has one and it is an awesome truck! Only problems I've been hearing of are emission related, but seems GM is finely working out the kinks. Best thing to do is delete all the emission crap and call it day.

Ya don't want to delete your warranty with anything you do.

We're waiting for the 2014's to hit the showroom floor then we'll finally decide on which brand.
We know too many unhappy Powerstroke owners.
In addition to the PS failing them, Ford dealers and the company blew them off too.
Customers treated so badly one wonders if they want to really jump on the Ford wagon.

Man-o-man,, the stranded horror stories. We don't want to be that family.