WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best place to watch Indy 500 in Havasu?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Any recommendations on the best place in Havasu to watch the race Sunday morning and have a few beers?

nowski

Reaction score
Years ago I brought my little TV to the river just to watch the Indy 500. Plugged the TV into the boat receptacle and watched the race with a couple of friends on the water. That was my best Indy 500 experience...

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Sunday is the best race day or the year!

Ill be starting with Monaco then following it up with the 500 - I love this weekend for racing!
It is a long day...12 am Sunday for F1, 9:30 am for Indy and 3 pm for the Coca Cola 600...it's not a sprint!

sirbob

Reaction score
It is a long day...12 am Sunday for F1, 9:30 am for Indy and 3 pm for the Coca Cola 600...it's not a sprint!

I cheat a little bit - i'll record Monaco and Indy and watch them a bit delayed.

I'm not much of a NASCAR guy so that one gets pushed on this weekend at my house.

sirbob

Reaction score
This is the best way to "watch" however !

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

westair

Reaction score
These new indy cars seem to be a little hard to control

Joe mama

Reaction score
Grew up with bouslog. He used to hang out at our house always working on our VW's. Happy for him getting win today with his team.

rrrr

Reaction score
These new indy cars seem to be a little hard to control

The cars have different aero kits this year, which removed almost 1,000 lbs. of downforce. Now most of the downforce is generated by the tunnels in the undertray, so the range of available wing adjustments and the ability to change the handling with them is limited.

Some teams were running as much as 3 degrees negative rear wing angle in today's race. As you noticed, the cars are much more difficult to drive.

Several drivers crashed in the turns today by losing the back end, including Kanaan, Bourdais, Castroneves, and Patrick. Most of these happened while the car was near the apex, and there weren't any other cars near them creating turbulence.

It was also very hot today, the ambient temperature was 94 degrees and track temperature was around 128.

Roger Penske won his 17th Indy 500 today. With wins and championships in IndyCar, NASCAR, LeMans, Sebring, the Rolex 24, and many others, he is truly a giant in motorsports and his accomplishments will never be equaled.

Last edited:

MOUZER

Reaction score
wow great ending..................wont say who won in case somebody recorded it to see when they get home....

now my favorite NASCAR and a bbq

rcmike

Reaction score
The cars have different aero kits this year, which removed almost 1,000 lbs. of downforce. Now most of the downforce is generated by the tunnels in the undertray, so the range of available wing adjustments and the ability to change the handling with them is limited.

Some teams were running as much as 3 degrees negative rear wing angle in today's race. As you noticed, the cars are much more difficult to drive.
Come on.. They are not at all difficult to drive. They are difficult to drive fast. If they wanted a car that was easy to control, then put a touch of rear downforce on it, and drive as fast as it can get around the corner.

But if you want to win, you have to dance with the edge. You set the car up loose, and hope the driver can hold on.

My little Datsun would be faster with 2 or 3 more pounds of air in the rear. It would rotate faster, and the driver could get to the gas sooner. It would also be more likely to spin. Since I am not interested in spinning, I don't do it.

These guys are trying to win the biggest race in their season, and if they get over to the edge, so be it..

playdeep

Reaction score
I was pulling for Carpenter...
A true racer from sprints and midgets.
IMO...most of those guys are drivers and not racers.
How many got the seat because they brought money to the table.

Indy is a shadow of what it was...

rrrr

Reaction score
Come on.. They are not at all difficult to drive. They are difficult to drive fast. If they wanted a car that was easy to control, then put a touch of rear downforce on it, and drive as fast as it can get around the corner.

But if you want to win, you have to dance with the edge. You set the car up loose, and hope the driver can hold on.

My little Datsun would be faster with 2 or 3 more pounds of air in the rear. It would rotate faster, and the driver could get to the gas sooner. It would also be more likely to spin. Since I am not interested in spinning, I don't do it.

These guys are trying to win the biggest race in their season, and if they get over to the edge, so be it..

With what authority do you claim the cars are "easy to drive"?

I doubt you have a clue what it takes to keep the throttle buried into turn one at IMS at 230 MPH.

My credentials are ten years as a mechanic in IndyCar. Yours?

rcmike

Reaction score
With what authority do you claim the cars are "easy to drive"?

I doubt you have a clue what it takes to keep the throttle buried into turn one at IMS at 230 MPH.

My credentials are ten years as a mechanic in IndyCar. Yours?
I don't know anything about anything. I just put on the helmet and blame the crew chief or the car designer when it goes wrong. But I have a feeling that there is a point where with a touch of rear downforce they become comfortable but slow. I base this on the cars I drive. I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it.

But I am sure you are right. The cars are just junk and hard to drive. It had nothing to do with trying to trim the cars out so the least possible drag and steering is required, allowing the cars to go as fast as possible, because every single driver out there wanted the feeling that Power got.. I think we should go back to the Tony George era of big wings and pack racing...

Again, I just drive. And everyone knows drivers are stupid..