WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best pool cleaner for a pebble tec surfaced pool?

probablecause

Reaction score
We have had a pebbletec surfaced pool for about 3 years now and after our Hayward Navigator had enough replacement parts on it to build a cyborg, changed out to a Zodiac Baracuda. The baracuda works fine in the deep end but does not get to the shallow end enough. I have tried a lot of hose and a short amount and still the same result, shallow end not being cleaned. So being that this is a water based forum, does anyone have a recommendation for a pebbletec surfaced pool cleaner. I am actually leaning towards purchasing another Hayward.

Thanks,

Brendan

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Check out
The Pool Cleaner

It's wheeled; either 2 or 4 wheel drive with tracked wheels. Just sold one to a client and his textured pool is no match for it.

It's best if you have dedicated suction side application, but will work if you splice at the skimmer...

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Owning a Hayward Navigator is like owning a jet boat. You pour copious amounts of money into them and they're still always broken.
I just replaced mine with one of these and so far it works extremely well.

Attachments

• mqdefault.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 7,368

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Owning a Hayward Navigator is like owning a jet boat. You pour copious amounts of money into them and they're still always broken.

That's what we have in our pool at the river and it works great.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I am very curious about the pool cleaner have you had to replace any parts on it how do the wheels hold up do they get worn? Also should you need replacement parts where do you get them does Leslies or the standard pool supply carry them. I too have a pebbletek pool and have gone through two navigators but nothing else seems to work and this is the first I have seen this one.
Does it do good with leaves I have a tropical landscape and get allot of leaves?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I completely agree about the Hayward.......in the last 2 years I've actually spent what I would have spent for one of these buying replacement parts for the Hayward.

The local pool supply (Carefree, across from Mad Dogs) has every part for them and my filter in stock all the time......next time though I'm just going to buy a new (different type) of cleaner

2Driver

Reaction score
Had others, Hayward has been the best. Mice get stuck in it though.

RSoscia

Reaction score
I am very curious about the pool cleaner have you had to replace any parts on it how do the wheels hold up do they get worn? Also should you need replacement parts where do you get them does Leslies or the standard pool supply carry them. I too have a pebbletek pool and have gone through two navigators but nothing else seems to work and this is the first I have seen this one.
Does it do good with leaves I have a tropical landscape and get allot of leaves?

Had my pool cleaner in my pool for about 6 years. Had to put new wheels on as the pebble teck does wear them down. Wheels cost around 30 I think. Best pool cleaner by far.

oldschool

Reaction score
I know people poo poo on the Polaris cleaners, but mine has been great. Pool is clean and it's been low maintenance. The only thing I've had to replace has been the bag, once in 10 years.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Had my pool cleaner in my pool for about 6 years. Had to put new wheels on as the pebble teck does wear them down. Wheels cost around 30 I think. Best pool cleaner by far.

Had ours for 2 years now and not one repair. My old Hayward was 2-3 repairs a year.

530RL

Reaction score
I have pop up heads. Don't do a dam thing but add chlorine.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Had ours for 2 years now and not one repair. My old Hayward was 2-3 repairs a year.
Yup....that's been my experience....no more Hayward for me when I have another repair in store.

ELISSA B.SMITH

Reaction score
Well in my opinion "Dolphin Premier Robotic pool cleaner" is the best pool cleaner for a pebble tec surfaced pool.
As it has:
360 deg head, smart scan, numerous filters and more...
It is a reliable product to own.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Polaris 280. Great reviews on Amazon.
6 months on mine, so far so good.

IMG_0469.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rrrr

Reaction score
I know people poo poo on the Polaris cleaners, but mine has been great. Pool is clean and it's been low maintenance. The only thing I've had to replace has been the bag, once in 10 years.

I don't get it either. I replaced my 10 year old Polaris 380 with the four wheeled 3900, and it has kept the pool spotless.

CigAjerk

Reaction score
Another mark for the pool cleaner

Pebble tec and zero issues.

Tireman

Reaction score
We have had a pebbletec surfaced pool for about 3 years now and after our Hayward Navigator had enough replacement parts on it to build a cyborg, changed out to a Zodiac Baracuda. The baracuda works fine in the deep end but does not get to the shallow end enough. I have tried a lot of hose and a short amount and still the same result, shallow end not being cleaned. So being that this is a water based forum, does anyone have a recommendation for a pebbletec surfaced pool cleaner. I am actually leaning towards purchasing another Hayward.

Thanks,

Brendan
THE. POOL.CLEANER. BEST EVER.

Checkmate21

Reaction score
Pebble Tec and the Pool Cleaner. Threw my Polaris in the trash can.

relaxalot

Reaction score
The Pool Cleaner is an amazing sucking machine! Nothing comes close... nothing..

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Kept our Hayward going for a number of years. Most notable improvement was replacing the shoes. Recently replaced the Hayward with a 4 wheel Pool Cleaner. Dedicated side suction connection. It is superior to the Hayward.

Trivia - The Hayward Navigator was invented by Howard Arneson. The same guy who developed the high HP Arneson surface outdrive.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Man I have had my Navigator for 5 years now and not one replacement part. It gets clogged from time to time but that’s it. It’s important with them to make sure they get the right amount of suction using the gauge supplied. Too much suction or too little and it won’t work right or will wear out sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My Havasu pool has the Pentair Rebel, basically a clone of The Pool Cleaner by Hayward.
Replaced tires once in the 3 years, the bump knob to prevent getting stuck on drains wore down otherwise zero issues.
Got the tires at A to Z pool supply next to Smiths.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
No pebbletec here but VanRooy equipped my pool with new pump, filter, lights and Pool Cleaner in 2009 when I bought the house and I just replaced it last year with a four wheel model. 2 wheel locked up and I have since replace a couple gears and axels and it's a spare. 4 wheel model is easier to adjust so it doesn't climb the wall too far and suck air, pisses the dogs off and they pull it out of the pool.

Mindrasect

Reaction score
Well in my opinion "Dolphin Premier Robotic pool cleaner" is the best pool cleaner for a pebble tec surfaced pool.
As it has:
360 deg head, smart scan, numerous filters and more...
It is a reliable product to own.
I too have a “pebble tec surfaced pool” and I use “Dolphin Orion Pool Cleaner”.
It gives decent results, but if I talk about 100% satisfaction I’ll give it 7/10.
Is “dolphin premier pool cleaner” really a good choice to own?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Never had a problem with the poolvac by Hayward last about 8 years

satellitemike

Reaction score
Time to replace my vacuum, will "the pool cleaner" work as a direct replacement to my navagator?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
Zodiac, you don't have to rebuild it every year like Hayward!
Zodiac pool cleaner.jpg

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Time to replace my vacuum, will "the pool cleaner" work as a direct replacement to my navagator?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yes.
I posted in this thread in 2014 after I had purchased one of the "Pool Cleaner" vacuum's.
Three weeks ago I put in a rebuild kit and it's working great. That is the only repair I've done since new.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Yes.
I posted in this thread in 2014 after I had purchased one of the "Pool Cleaner" vacuum's.
Three weeks ago I put in a rebuild kit and it's working great. That is the only repair I've done since new.
Just ordered one, thanks!

f12517

Reaction score
So consensus is the pool cleaner is still the way to go? My navigator wings and other parts are worn out again and I'm ready to try a different model of pool sweep

havasu5150

Reaction score
I have a pool cleaner for my pebble tec pool, they are very durable.....but be advised. Hayward bought the Pool Cleaner

johnnyC

Reaction score
had a zodiac for my pool in az worked good for about 2 years too many parts, it jams up with palm fronds stringy things, ended up geting a spare for the pool guy for when i am not there. replaced them both with the pool cleaner and no more jam ups, it allways works

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm a Hayward Navigator expert, unfortunately.. The pebbletec surface grinds away at the feet and wings on the navigator. But my new pool has smooth plaster and works great. I've been told "The Pool Cleaner" is the way to go.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I have had the pool cleaner for a while now and it works great so good my father who had the navigator ended up changing as well with success.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Thanks,
Brendan

Are you running a variable or fixed speed pump?

Im guessing you have the Barracuda with the round sail- correct?
The barracuda with the squared off sail is (T-5 vs g3) is much more aggressive in climbing out of the deep end even running low RPM w a variable speed pump.

Between the simple diaphragm mat type cleaners and the wheeled geared complex cleaner I prefer the simple ones.

The mat diaphragm cleaners constantly lightly brushing the floor does a better job than a wheeled cleaner with only wheel contact and suction

OF the wheeled/ complex variety the pool cleaner, or poolvergnugen works very well and last a long time, but it doesnt do as good a job of cleaning as the zodiac MX-8, with its scrubbers - but the MX-8 will wear itself out in 3 years needing parts if run 8-10 hours a day,

The pool cleaner will last longer and the most common repair is a new set of rubber tires, there are little wear bumps on the wheels to help with this.
The 4 wheel version can drag a longer hose than the 2 wheeled ones.

With a pebbletc pool there is a danger using wheeled cleaners if they get stuck in a corner they will continue to spin and eat away at the surface.

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
"best"

I owned one as well. Heres how I'd sum it up.

The poolvergnugen is the most reliable of the complex suction side cleaners, if reliability is your bag its the best.

The MX8 is the best cleaning suction side cleaner - especially walls. If you dont want to ever brush a wall and cleanliness is your thing its best.

The hayward navigator is a laughable parts eater, than neither lasts nor cleans well.

I still prefer the mat cleaners.

UD

IMG_4005.jpeg

probablecause

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies. I am selling the house since I have already moved to Idaho.... still going to build another pool. Pool builders here recommend the electric vacuum.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies. I am selling the house since I have already moved to Idaho.... still going to build another pool. Pool builders here recommend the electric vacuum.

Done those as well.

In that they are just another toy I like them as well. As with everything you have plusses and minuses.

I had a dolphin for about a season and sold it to a friend.

The plusses would be they are independent of the pools pump and filter system (to some guys they think this is a HUGE deal) ,
they typically can give a pretty decent clean (some of them anyway) in about an hour or so.

They are a lot more work than a suction side cleaner in that you constantly have to put them in and take them out of the pool.
In the summer maybe about the same work, but in the off season Ill leave the suction side in the water for months at a time usually from about november to february.

When you take them out you have pull the bag(s) or screen and hose them off or they will get green and mucky right away.

On the maintenance front you much more to worry about with a combination of gears pumps and tracks, as well as electronics/ control boards and cords (cord tangling is another issue) Most guys get 5 years out of them before they become money pits.

In the end I went back to a (square sail) mat type suction cleaner as I get great cleaning, dead simple cheap maintenance (20 dollar diaphragm), and about 10 years of life from the housing making the value prop way cheaper.

Let us now what you do regardless!

UD

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

satellitemike

Reaction score
I recommend putting one of these on your vacuum hose

Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister with Mesh Bag Replacement for Hayward Pool and Spa Cleaners

hayward-leaf-canister-w530.jpg

View attachment 879991
Damn there went another $80 bucks!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I get that,

-at the same time its money well spent my friend...

UD

UD is right. Inline filter collects a lot of sh!t that would otherwise be collected inside your pre-filter basket (or would've gone thru to the filter). That fine mesh bag in the inline filter collects a lot of stuff

spectra bash

Reaction score
With the pool cleaner are you guys just using the hose in the spa? Or putting it in spa also?

Javajoe

Reaction score
Check out
The Pool Cleaner

It's wheeled; either 2 or 4 wheel drive with tracked wheels. Just sold one to a client and his textured pool is no match for it.

It's best if you have dedicated suction side application, but will work if you splice at the skimmer...
That’s what I got. Works great on my pebble tech