WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best shocks 2005 GMC 2500

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Get some pretty good input for real world use en experience on here, Wondering what shocks you guys would use on my 2005 GMC 2500 4 wheel drive D-max, 57 k miles no offroad not much heavy hauling, pull 29 fountain on aluminum trl would guess around 7 to 8 k mostly light loads or no load, like something good for when I trailer but give halfway decent ride unloaded lookin at Ranchos any suggestions appreciated.

AHQVegas

Reaction score
Bilstein for a price point, anything else id recommend would be more money but alot better ride .

just_floatin

Reaction score
I have Bilsteins on my 2500HD including the steering stabilizer. The ride is very smooth.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like Bilsteins are the favorite

If you have a lifted truck, you can call their tech support line. They will ask you to take some measurements on your old shocks,and then give you the correct part number to order. Knowledgeable and helpful folks.

👍

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
my buddy ruined new Bilstein's on his leveled 2013 2500 in one day following my truck with kings and my brother in laws raptor at like half our pace. They basically melted and were less than 2 weeks old.

He is now trying fox 2.0 with revivor. The non resi bilstein couldn't handle the heat.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
my buddy ruined new Bilstein's on his leveled 2013 2500 in one day following my truck with kings and my brother in laws raptor at like half our pace. They basically melted and were less than 2 weeks old.

He is now trying fox 2.0 with revivor. The non resi bilstein couldn't handle the heat.

So someone was using a full size 3/4 ton chebby truck as an off road vehicle??? I'm surprised the ball joints did fly off first! 😁

robby dmax

Reaction score
I have Bilsteins on my 2500HD including the steering stabilizer. The ride is very smooth.
How is the steering with the bilstein that say there is is always a little pull with it? True or false?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
For a stock truck or says use the B6 4600....talk about an ugly shock. Who wants bright yellow with a baby blue boot??

Yes, I know I can buy a replacement boot.

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
For a stock truck or says use the B6 4600....talk about an ugly shock. Who wants bright yellow with a baby blue boot??

Yes, I know I can buy a replacement boot.

Sent From Tapatalk

Mine have brushed bodies on them. You don't want a stock replacement shock.

Keep looking or call their tech support on Monday.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Mine have brushed bodies on them. You don't want a stock replacement shock.

Keep looking or call their tech support on Monday.
Those sound like the 5100. Brushed with a black boot. On their website, they said the two models are the same, but the 5100's are for lifted trucks. Whatever that means. I guess they mean because they show more. LOL.

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Those sound like the 5100. Brushed with a black boot. On their website, they said the two models are the same, but the 5100's are for lifted trucks. Whatever that means. I guess they mean because they show more. LOL.

Sent From Tapatalk

Different lengths if the valving is actually the same.

just_floatin

Reaction score
How is the steering with the bilstein that say there is is always a little pull with it? True or false?
Full Cognito front end and a new GM steering gear. It does feel like my steering has a little a pull. I never thought it could be the bilstein stabilizer. I am taking the truck to the Chevrolet dealership to inspect the alignment and the steering gear end play which is under warranty. Stay tuned

robby dmax

Reaction score
Full Cognito front end and a new GM steering gear. It does feel like my steering has a little a pull. I never thought it could be the bilstein stabilizer. I am taking the truck to the Chevrolet dealership to inspect the alignment and the steering gear end play which is under warranty. Stay tuned

that is why I asked they say that the bilstein will have a Slight Paul as it is a gas charge shock.
Take it off and see if your problem goes away!!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'm probably going to replace my steering gear / box. I think I am going with a Red Head. They take a factory box, and rebuild it with much stronger parts. Or at least that is what I have been told.

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
that is why I asked they say that the bilstein will have a Slight Paul as it is a gas charge shock.
Take it off and see if your problem goes away!!

The MSDS says there IS nitrogen in the shock, but that sheet is the same one they use for ALL of their shocks. I can't believe anyone would make a steering stabilizer that would intentionally push like a normal gas shock.

How to test? @just_floatin

Just disconnect one end of the stabilizer and see what it does. No matter what position it is in (other than fully extended), it should STAY in that position. If it tries to move (expand) on it's own, something is definitely wrong!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Any opinions on the Rancho 9000s adjustable, but pretty pricey.

I had Rancho shocks on my old F150. Rode like shit. Pretty sure they are made by Monroe, which are the crappiest shocks on the planet.

You couldn't give me a set of those shocks! lol

robby dmax

Reaction score
The MSDS says there IS nitrogen in the shock, but that sheet is the same one they use for ALL of their shocks. I can't believe anyone would make a steering stabilizer that would intentionally push like a normal gas shock.

How to test? @just_floatin

Just disconnect one end of the stabilizer and see what it does. No matter what position it is in (other than fully extended), it should STAY in that position. If it tries to move (expand) on it's own, something is definitely wrong!

Just Google Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer and you will see all the negative of the truck pulling from the shock that is why I didn’t do the bilstein

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just Google Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer and you will see all the negative of the truck pulling from the shock that is why I didn’t do the bilstein

I did...

You don't actually believe stuff people post on forums now, do ya?

;)

Or did you miss the one post where the guy said he called Bilstein tech support, and they told him they would warranty it for him?

Steering stabilizers are NOT supposed to push to one side or the other. That would defeat the whole purpose of one!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it IS broke, it would be best, to get it fixed!

robby dmax

Reaction score
I did...

You don't actually believe stuff people post on forums now, do ya?

;)

Or did you miss the one post where the guy said he called Bilstein tech support, and they told him they would warranty it for him?

Steering stabilizers are NOT supposed to push to one side or the other. That would defeat the whole purpose of one!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it IS broke, it would be best, to get it fixed!

i agree that is why I was asking.. I am going to try one for myself as I think they have an Outstanding product

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I'm probably going to replace my steering gear / box. I think I am going with a Red Head. They take a factory box, and rebuild it with much stronger parts. Or at least that is what I have been told.

Sent From Tapatalk
Get ahold of Lee Power steering out of Santa Clarita. They can rebuild yours and add a third bearing and billet top cap so you never ever ever have to worry about it again. I just installed my rebuilt unit along with some other bling bling. It was expensive, but this front end will last my lifetime, or until the government takes away my gas guzzling big block truck.

04B981EF-B44C-4081-A976-BF9CD9F58C9F.jpeg

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Rancho 9000s adjustable, but pretty pricey.

I have Rancho 9000s on my 2005 3500 SRW Diesel 4x4. My truck is leveled (keys) so I think the ride is not all that smooth plus it’s a one ton and feels (drives) every bit like a 1 ton truck. I had a 4000 lb truck camper in the bed and the adjustable shocks made a huge difference when carrying the weight. I also have Firestone Airbags. I’ve gone thru 2 pairs of Rancho 9000 shocks. I am around 120k miles right now. You can feel the difference in the ride when you turn the dial on the shocks. I eventually might put an in cabin compressor to adjust them on the fly.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I had Rancho shocks on my old F150. Rode like shit. Pretty sure they are made by Monroe, which are the crappiest shocks on the planet.

You couldn't give me a set of those shocks! lol

Agreed - total BS product fuckin trash.....

My factory Ranchos were weeping pieces (of crap) after 50K of towing.

I couldn't get Bilsteins at the time so I went with KYB GR2' they s were 50% better riding than the ranchos and were ok when I pulled them at 100K,

The Bilstein 5100's are 100% than the KYB's or 150% better than the Ranchos - I could feel the difference in the first 200 feet. Wish I would have had them 10 years ago.
Truck felt better at 100K than new.

The Fox's are double the price of the bilsteins but far from twice as good.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Agreed - total BS product fuckin trash.....

My factory Ranchos were weeping pieces (of crap) after 50K of towing.

I couldn't get Bilsteins at the time so I went with KYB GR2' they s were 50% better riding than the ranchos and were ok when I pulled them at 100K,

The Bilstein 5100's are 100% than the KYB's or 150% better than the Ranchos - I could feel the difference in the first 200 feet. Wish I would have had them 10 years ago.
Truck felt better at 100K than new.

The Fox's are double the price of the bilsteins but far from twice as good.

I have KYB's on my Durango, and they were a huge improvement over stock, but that's not saying a whole lot! LoL

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I have KYB's on my Durango, and they were a huge improvement over stock, but that's not saying a whole lot! LoL

When I needed two replace the leaking clapped out Ranchos nobody could get the Bilsteins for weeks, so I settled for the KYB's....in retrospect, I should have waited.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I vote bilsteins coming from a guy with fox’s hanging from every limb of my truck. Already on my second steering stabilizer in 6months. Fox IFP are shit! Literally! They are stiffer than the bilsteins though. I’m surprised the 5.0 sick gnar kings bro post hasn’t been posted yet 😂

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Sent From Tapatalk

Ive heard that before, but my suspension guy told me its not true, it certainly CAN run on a lifted truck though.

Running 5100's on a totally stock truck - didnt even need an alignment after.

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
Im running kings front and rear on my burb, the rears made a big difference in ride quality.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Im running kings front and rear on my burb, the rears made a big difference in ride quality.

Went with Foxes for our Suburban...same story.

I thought Bilstein yellows /4600 would be good, but no. Took them out after a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
Went with Foxes for our Suburban...same story.

I thought Bilstein yellows /4600 would be good, but no. Took them out after a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine had the lower grade grey kyb's, needless to say they had to go. Haha

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Bilstein B8 5160s on my 2008 duramax for about a month before i sold it haha truck was leveled and rode way better then my 5100s i had on before but they had about 80k miles on them.
Would love to have splurged on the 8100s they have a bypass model and a regular reservoir model. Didnt need to spend that kind of money for a daily driver.

The 5160s for all 4 on sale was 780 to my door.
Fox 2.0s were over 1000.

People seem to always hate icon but a buddy has them on his 2012 duramax and loves them.
Their 2.0 shocks that do not have piggyback reservoirs were like 750 if i recall.