• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Best swamp cooler?

Discussion in 'RD's Lounge' started by STV_Keith, Jan 15, 2020.

1. STV_Keith

STV_Keith Well-Known Member

I want to replace the swamp cooler in my shop. It's an old Champion Tradewinds unit that came with the house when we bought it. 2-speed, 230V, 7500cfm, 4-panel Aspen pads, downdraft setup that is on a pedestal that feeds into a wall in my shop. The shop is 1680sf and this thing worked great, but it's a pain to keep changing pads every 2-3 months. Tradewinds are no longer made, and I want to go to a cellulose style pad for less maintenance.

Budget is $1500 or so for the unit. So far I've been looking at the Champion Mastercool, Phoenix Aerocool Trophy and Breezair units. Pricing on the first two is about what I am shooting for. I can't find pricing on the Breezair although the reviews sound awesome.

Anyone out there with some experience with any of these? Is there a better brand in the price range? Suggestions welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. Dkahnjob

Dkahnjob Well-Known Member

Get the MasterCool.

spectra75 likes this.
  3. mjc

mjc Nosy Neighbor

This

4. pwerwagn

pwerwagn Inmate #4800

I have 2 big mastercools, one is mobile in the shop and the other is mounted/ducted. They have both been great. Pads are expensive but last me 3-5 years usually.

My dad does a lot of swamp cooler installs, and has had great luck with the aero cool's as well.

I think you are on the right track and cant go wrong with either.

5. thmterry

thmterry Well-Known Member

I have been having good luck with the Aero Cools, just make sure they have the plastic inserts where the water sits so they dont rust.

Wheeler likes this.
  6. zx14

zx14 Well-Known Member

I want to sell this one. Works great, except if you over fill it, it trips the gfi. So I just don’t over fill it.

Attached Files:

7. TITTIES AND BEER

TITTIES AND BEER Well-Known Member

Are you guys still in LV ?

8. mesquito_creek

mesquito_creek Well-Known Member

Mastercool... I change the cellulose pad about every 3 years

9. STV_Keith

Yessir. Still here. The one I have now works bitchin'. Easily takes 30* from ambient to inside temps, but it's 15 years old, discontinued and uses the Aspen pads. It is all plastic other than the motor and fan, so there isn't much to go wrong either. I just want something newer with the big cellulose pads that don't need to be changed every 2-3 months.

TITTIES AND BEER likes this.
  10. Wheeler

Wheeler Well-Known Member

I have three master cools and one aerocool. If I were to buy new today and price was relatively close I'd buy aerocool.

11. Wheeler

I filter the water and have not replaced pads in the past 7 years or so.

12. STV_Keith

Thanks for the info Wheeler. What do you like better about the Aerocool? How are you filtering the water?

13. Nordie

Nordie Well-Known Member

Mastercool or Bonaire, I have a Bonaire on my house and if there's no humidity in July, I'll wake up in my house and it will be 65 degrees.

14. TCHB

TCHB Well-Known Member

Mastercool.

15. Flying_Lavey

Flying_Lavey Dreaming of the lake

We install a lot of Aerocool units. Add a purge pump and an online filter and your pad life will go through the roof. A purge pump is a timed pump that will empty to pan ever so many hours so you're not cycling through more and more concentrated deposits (water evaporates in the air but the minerals and other deposits remain and get more and more concentrated inside the pan).

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Wheeler likes this.
  16. Wheeler

I've replace the wet sections on the three Master Cools and not on the Aero Cool. In the next week or so I'll be servicing the Aero and checking for any rust that might have developed from over filling the plastic tray. My Master Cools were not plastic lined. If the masters now come with plastic lined wet sections I would not have any problem with the purchase of one. If they don't have plastic, I would water proof the wet section before putting into use.

I use a two stage filter like the type you might find under your sink used for drinking water.

Ps: the wet sections are not cheap.

17. Wheeler

What was the ambient temp. when you have seen this 65 deg. indoors?

18. Gramps

Gramps Older Member

My neighbor about 300 ft. away has a master cool.........we can hear it. I have 3 old stlye Home Depot coolers with Aspen pads. change the pads every other or 3rd year. Quiet and work great

Wheeler likes this.
  19. mesquito_creek

my unit uses the 12 inch pad and cost about a 100 bucks new. I probably could go 5 years but I don't. My primary problem is the build up of hardness (Ca/Mg) on the pad but it still works well even with a lot of crustyness. Do you know how much the filtration is and extra water is costing vs the pad replacement?

I think I have about a 5000 cfm unit cooling 900 square feet. I get 30 degrees delta with low humidity and about 15 delta in august...

Wheeler likes this.
  20. Nordie

Nordie Well-Known Member

85ish, I generally see about a 20 degree difference vs outside temp. I also have a garage swamp that vents into my attic which may help my case for keeping the house that cool. The problem is by the afternoon in Vegas when its 100 plus the swamps just can't keep up and I'll switch to ac, then back to swamp in the evenings through the night.

Wheeler and Instigator like this.
  21. Flying_Lavey

RO is the only filter that has waste water. If you just use a standard filter system there shouldn't be any extra water usage. If you add a purge pump it's only about a 5 to 10% increase in water usage. A purge pump manufacturer will claim it will reduce water usage, but that's when compared to a system without any filtration that is dirty and has loaded pads already.

Wheeler likes this.
  22. Flying_Lavey

I think you guys may be referring to the low profile units? Both Bonaire and Master Cool make one and they work great! But, they are loud due to needing to use a prop fan instead of a centrifugal fan because of the restriction in their physical size.

23. STV_Keith

Thanks for the info. I do have a purge pump and scale filter on the Tradewinds now, but Wheeler is steering me towards a different filter to look into.

According to the website, the Mastercools now have a plastic lined wet section with a limited lifetime warranty. I'll look into the 2-stage filter as the "scale filter" from Lowe's doens't seem to be helping much.

Wheeler likes this.
  24. STV_Keith

The Mastercool unit I'm looking at uses the squirrel cage fan, not a prop fan, so I can't imagine it could be much louder than the squirrel cage fan in the Tradewinds I have now. Maybe your neighbors have a different model? Also not sure how you get more than a year out of Aspen pads...I have to replace mine about 2-3 months in. They start to get algae on them and then turn black over time. This is one of the main reasons I want to switch to a modern unit with a 12" cellulose pad.

25. Flying_Lavey

There is also the online filters used for refrigerators. That's what I used on my Mastercool when I had it probably doesn't filter quiet as well as a 2 stage filter and all, but it does do pretty well.

Also, if you're in a dirty area where there is commonly duct blowing, it doesn't really matter what filtration you use as all that crap will get into the water. A purge pump will do much better in that situation.

26. mesquito_creek

My Unit is fully ducted throughout the building with a Thermostat, auto-two speed and purge pump cycles... I still wonder I would spend more than 33 dollar a year in line filters vs just replacing the media every 3-4 years...

27. STV_Keith

I'm looking hard at the Mastercool AD2C7112 unit. Comes with the t-stat, purge and pre-wired 2-speed 240V motor. I know we have hard water and scale buildup is an issue with the current cooler, even with the inline filter. I don't mind putting a better filter inline, to try to get the pads to last longer.

Wheeler, there are literally thousands of different 2-stage filters out there...do you like a specific brand/model? Should I be looking for one that handles TDS? Any idea how many gallons an hr/day it will need to filter to keep up with a swamper?

28. Wheeler

RD gave me the filter, it came from under his mothers sink. o_O

I don't see much difference between aero or master cool as long as the plastic try is offered.

29. Wheeler

My aerocool is a decent size for residential use, about 6400 cfm or so. The master cools are close to the same.
    As I recall, the lowest temp. drop that I've seen is 30 deg. below ambient.

When the humidity is high in Parker I try to head for the beach until the middle of Sept. :D

Here's a chart for people that have no idea what we are talking about.

evap_chart3.gif