WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best water proofing for wood on boat interior

bocco

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be making some interior changes and will have to cut some new plywood pieces for the upholsterer. What's a good product to water proof the wood? Will Thompson's work?

Thanks

Gary

lenmann

Reaction score
Polyester resin thinned 10% with styrene so it soaks into the plywood and seals it. Don't buy the junk resin from home depot, you never know how old it is. Resin and harder have shelf lives. Go to TAP Plastics, West Marine or any of the online fiberglass supply houses to get the resin

bocco

Reaction score
Polyester resin thinned 10% with styrene so it soaks into the plywood and seals it. Don't buy the junk resin from home depot, you never know how old it is. Resin and harder have shelf lives. Go to TAP Plastics, West Marine or any of the online fiberglass supply houses to get the resin

Thanks I have a TAP plastics close by. So do I add hardener to the resin and then thin it?

lenmann

Reaction score
Prep all of the wood and get all your application stuff ready.

Then thin the resin first with the styrene, mixing thoroughly, then add hardener, mix and get after brushing it on.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be making some interior changes and will have to cut some new plywood pieces for the upholsterer. What's a good product to water proof the wood? Will Thompson's work?

Thanks

Gary
Great tips from lenmann

Try adding a surfacing agent into the mix to give that thick protective layer. You can get this product at any of your resin providers along with the mix ratios.

Heylam

Reaction score
Great tips from lenmann

Try adding a surfacing agent into the mix to give that thick protective layer. You can get this product at any of your resin providers along with the mix ratios.

The addition of surfacing agent will give you a hard sandable finish, but actually thins the mixture slightly as it is nothing more then styrene with a wax additive suspended in it.

bocco

Reaction score
Prep all of the wood and get all your application stuff ready.

Then thin the resin first with the styrene, mixing thoroughly, then add hardener, mix and get after brushing it on.

Just got done with this. It came out good. Probably could have used a little more thinner but it still worked good. Poured the left over in a plastic jar and it got hard as a rock. What I put on the wood is taking longer to harden.

Thanks for the tips.