WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Way To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I washed my midlife crisismobile today and what I thought was the dealer doing a crappy job cleaning the exhaust tips turns out the previous owner painted them. Short of removing them and taking them to a buffer wheel, what is the best way to remove the paint from them?

80bc7dc43c9e1a7686eb13f487c0aed6.jpg

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Okay smartasses, I know paint remover, but some brands work easier than others. Some need to sit, some work right away, some you need to work with a cloth, others you need something more abrasive. I guess I should have been more specific that I wanted to know which product was the easiest and fastest.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
The guy with the Dodge is right...and this is the internet...where smart asses dwell...mask off the car surfaces and have at it...

500bbc

Reaction score
Okay smartasses, I know paint remover, but some brands work easier than others. Some need to sit, some work right away, some you need to work with a cloth, others you need something more abrasive. I guess I should have been more specific that I wanted to know which product was the easiest and fastest.

All, the ones you buy outside of California.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
4” grinder and a 80 Grit flap wheel will take that down quick. :D Easy off oven cleaner and 0000 steel wool, the easy off will do most of the work.

braindead

Reaction score
If u got enough to afford a midlife crisismobile like that, than quit bein a cheap SOB and have some new tips put on rather than askin how u can save $400 by doin it yo-self

rrrr

Reaction score
You want paint remover that contains methyl chloride. It's the good stuff.

I suppose it's been outlawed in California for decades.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
As mentioned , steel wool. Work your way from aggressive to 4 ought?SP. You can never over polish with the finest grade of steel wool on stainless steel. Shit, I have used it on glass, works great. Just dont do it in your driveway as it will leave a rust stain when it rains.

Taboma

Reaction score
All, the ones you buy outside of California.

True, yet I'm frustrated when I think I can find something stronger in Havasu only to discover the same exact products and product ingredients as CA.
Many years ago I could find a pesticide in Havasu unavailable except to pros in CA, no longer the case.
I did however find a place in Texas that will ship to CA a powerful rodentcide that drops the bastards in a single feeding, versus making them thirsty after a week of feasting.:rolleyes:
I bought a lot :eek:

500bbc

Reaction score
True, yet I'm frustrated when I think I can find something stronger in Havasu only to discover the same exact products and product ingredients as CA.
Many years ago I could find a pesticide in Havasu unavailable except to pros in CA, no longer the case.
I did however find a place in Texas that will ship to CA a powerful rodentcide that drops the bastards in a single feeding, versus making them thirsty after a week of feasting.:rolleyes:
I just want one can of the old McKay's parts dip.
Anything that makes your eyes water from across the garage when you open it is good shit.:D

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Got some Klean Strip heavy duty paint & epoxy remover, 0000 steel wool, blue masking tape, a cheap brush, and some thick-ass nitrile gloves. Damn, that shit was over $40!

Wish me luck.

buck35

Reaction score
I always thought brake fluid was the best stuff after dripping some on a fender well once. Paint wrinkled up and peeled off .

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
from your local automotive paint supplier get med or hi temp "reducer" for urethane paints. load up a towel with it, grab each end of the towel and polish those tips like you were shining shoes

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score

Send a link..... Pm accepted. I have a rat and mouse issue. I have good gopher bait but no rat and mouse.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The original Berryman's B12 will make a carburetor disappear if you soak it too long. It's some nasty toxic stuff. :eek:

Nothing like the original Chem-Dip. I know people who are hording that shit....:eek::D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I washed my midlife crisismobile today and what I thought was the dealer doing a crappy job cleaning the exhaust tips turns out the previous owner painted them. Short of removing them and taking them to a buffer wheel, what is the best way to remove the paint from them?

80bc7dc43c9e1a7686eb13f487c0aed6.jpg
I'm almost gonna bet they started life black...

rrrr

Reaction score
There was never an option for the black exhaust tips. Black grille surround, black wheels, but not exhaust tips.

You're saying there isn't a guy with a rattle can of flat black at the end of the assembly line?