WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best way to sell a car...

Cray Paper

Reaction score
My wife wants to sell her car and given todays market I'm wondering what is the best way to market it. It's a 2017 Toyota Corolla 4 door iM. I've had good luck with CL's and Offer Up. She has reached out to Car Max and received an offer but since we don't need to sell we would like to vet the offer and get the maximum value for it.

What's to best avenue for advertising and getting the best value for getting the highest value for a vehicle in todays market?

Cray Paper

Reaction score
IMG_4671[8514].JPG

Car in question...I've never been involved with a foreign manufacture vehicle but have to say this car is surprisingly sporty. 6 sp manual tranny and tight suspension was not what I expected from a Toyota. I'm a die hard GM and most recently Didge challenger and Durango guy. Any input on selling this Toyota would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are both free and gets lots of views... and lots of spammy responses.

It looks clean and the used car market is stronger than death right now, ask $2k above your CarMax offer and see what happens.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Go online and Google sell my car
Check KBB.com and they'll find local dealers to bid on your car
Try CarMax, Carvana, CarGurus, all of them and get offers
Take the highest offer

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I sold my dads dodge challenger to givemethevin.com and they paid much more than carmax, carvana and vroom.

lantz

Reaction score
Craigslist charges $5 for a sell by owner add. Facebook marketplaces are free. Autotrader charges. I used all three. Sitting on the couch one morning, I remembered I had an offerup account. I listed my 06 Ford Focus on there, and it was gone in hours.

attitude

Reaction score
Get a quote from carvana, we just sold my girlfriends Veloster to them for 16.5k. No way we were getting more than that private party.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Get online bids from carmax, carvanna, vroom etc. Facebook marketplace is ok...but you will deal with every broke flake there is. Market is high...the car company offers are probably similar to what you will get private..and they can finance where you cannot.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I sold a Camry on RDP and was glad it went to a very nice and grateful person. I tried to sell my 2018 Ram Dually on the internet and actually got my best price from a dealer in Fontana. Private party consumers were the lowest offers. I would post it on all the sites recommended for a couple weeks and see where it goes. I would use the value on KBB as a starting point.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Go online and Google sell my car
Check KBB.com and they'll find local dealers to bid on your car
Try CarMax, Carvana, CarGurus, all of them and get offers
Take the highest offer

I tried that ONE time. The offers were Ridiculous low ball offers.

In today's market, that car will sell fast private party online. Ask at least 2k over what KBB says.

Used cars are gold today.

DaveH

Reaction score
for the first time in history....used cars market is actually is a seller's market due to the shortage of new cars.

this wont last forever.

just hit up all the online sources.....carvanna, automation, etc. you will receive a fair offer for your car. recently sold a bmw and had no issue getting a solid offer for it in this climate.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Get online bids from carmax, carvanna, vroom etc. Facebook marketplace is ok...but you will deal with every broke flake there is. Market is high...the car company offers are probably similar to what you will get private..and they can finance where you cannot.

This is the first time in my life "Cash" is not a plus. Dealers know they will sell easily and want/need the finance money and sellers want every penny. I have never been picky and have always found smoking deals with "no hasstle cash" offers but when Carmax is willing to pay more than I am something is wrong.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
CL, offerup, FB marketplace, and I second CarGurus (it’s how I bought my son’s truck).

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I tried that ONE time. The offers were Ridiculous low ball offers.

In today's market, that car will sell fast private party online. Ask at least 2k over what KBB says.

Used cars are gold today.
I figured my 6.2 powered Silverado would have a new home with an RDP member already.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
View attachment 1053058

Car in question...I've never been involved with a foreign manufacture vehicle but have to say this car is surprisingly sporty. 6 sp manual tranny and tight suspension was not what I expected from a Toyota. I'm a die hard GM and most recently Didge challenger and Durango guy. Any input on selling this Toyota would be greatly appreciated.
Give it to 2ff and have him start hey lam thread.

boatpi

Reaction score
I sold two cars this year to Carmax fabulous deals but that manual transmission is going to hurt you a little.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I have a 2017 BMW 330e with an AZ carpool plate that I will be selling soon. I have a bid from Carvana that isn't bad and will get a bid from Carmax soon. The HOV plate is not available for hybrids in AZ anymore so it should add some value to the right buyer if I sell private party.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
What do you want for it? I should probably start looking for something that gets better than 11mpg

I have been thinking the same. Well the wife spun a rod bearing in her blazer and we have been renting a car for her for the last week or so while the new motor is being put in.

Told her to just start looking for a cheap commuter that I can drive to work and back and it will save us $.

$5k budget as we dont need anything nice for me to drive back and forth to work in. Everthing I looked at was junk imo. She sends me one yesterday that is some 20xx mazda wagon of some sort asking like 1200. I laugh and say "sure let's go look at it". Went last night. An hour drive away in Vancouver Washington. Show up expecting to just turn and go home for that price. Turns out to be a couple in there 60s that are relocating to Arizona. She hands me this file after I test drive. Has every receipt they ever spent on it. The motor, trans and clutch were all rebuilt 2yrs ago and have 27k on them. Needless to say I handed them $900 cash and drove it home. The thing is a blast to drive, has upgraded cam, valves and valve springs car has been lowered and all brakes, calipers rotors ect, have all been replaced also. Hadn't drove a clutch car in years so that was interesting, probably part of the fun driving it

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same. Well the wife spun a rod bearing in her blazer and we have been renting a car for her for the last week or so while the new motor is being put in.

Told her to just start looking for a cheap commuter that I can drive to work and back and it will save us $.

$5k budget as we dont need anything nice for me to drive back and forth to work in. Everthing I looked at was junk imo. She sends me one yesterday that is some 20xx mazda wagon of some sort asking like 1200. I laugh and say "sure let's go look at it". Went last night. An hour drive away in Vancouver Washington. Show up expecting to just turn and go home for that price. Turns out to be a couple in there 60s that are relocating to Arizona. She hands me this file after I test drive. Has every receipt they ever spent on it. The motor, trans and clutch were all rebuilt 2yrs ago and have 27k on them. Needless to say I handed them $900 cash and drove it home. The thing is a blast to drive, has upgraded cam, valves and valve springs car has been lowered and all brakes, calipers rotors ect, have all been replaced also. Hadn't drove a clutch car in years so that was interesting, probably part of the fun driving it

So a 60 year old couple had a lowered ricer, all souped up...

And sold it for 900.00

Am I the only one that is wondering wtf is going on here??? 😂

wzuber

Reaction score

And sold it for 900.00

Right?????
That caught my cynical mind too...
We're the sellers names Bonnie and Clyde? Lol

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score

And sold it for 900.00

She has owned it since 2009. Do you need me to show you the documentation? I was a little surprised myself as I was expecting it to be some 20 something kid. I have no reason to lie and after talking to them and the file presented they didnt either. They did have the hood vynal wrapped because the clear was peeling and they had a friend starting a final wrap business. The product turned out to be shit, so that will be something I'll address.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
She has owned it since 2009. Do you need me to show you the documentation? I was a little surprised myself as I was expecting it to be some 20 something kid. I have no reason to lie and after talking to them and the file presented they didnt either. They did have the hood final wrapped because the clear was peeling and they had a friend starting a final wrap business. The product turned out to be shit, so that will be something I'll address.

Naw...

But I would like to see a pic or two of the car! 😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Really dude? Why ya gotta be flipping me off? I was just asking and shit! 😁

That's the nicest 900.00 car I've ever seen. Heavy score!! 👍🏼👍🏼

Lmfao.. I was wondering if youd notice. But I just had too!! Just kind of felt I was being called out..jk🤣 and was pointing out the new gaskets🤣

Here is the file of all the documentation
20210925_183953.jpg

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We were just sport fuckin ya.....no harm intended......lol

Exactly.

And really not calling out the OP, more like the sellers!

Like maybe they were selling their sons car cheap cause he owed them some money? Just seemed odd to me! 😂